ADVERTISEMENT

ketchup or mustard

I think there is also a line of what kind of dog? Good ones like Nathan's or cheap ones at give away to get customers in, friends grill out with kids etc. To me if all you have for mustard is yellow and cheap dogs a little catsup isn't too bad sometimes.

Suffer . . . it's the Christian way.

Mustard is the condiment of satan and hell.
Thank goodness there is a voice of reason here. I thought I was going to have to move to get away from all of these heathen mustard-lovers. Thankfully nobody brought up the Carolina abomination...ruining a perfectly good chili dog by putting coleslaw on it. I cried the first time someone brought me one of those.

The dowtown L.A. dog is an awesome evolution tho. Wrapped in bacon and cooked on a griddle amidst grilled onions and peppers. I cried first time I ate one of those for completely different reasons.

hot dogs are the only thing stadiums do right. don't know why but a hot dog at a sporting event is always better
I always get one at baseball games. So far Fenway Franks were the worst (too skinny) and I think the best I’ve had were at Wrigley.

I think there is also a line of what kind of dog? Good ones like Nathan's or cheap ones at give away to get customers in, friends grill out with kids etc. To me if all you have for mustard is yellow and cheap dogs a little catsup isn't too bad sometimes.
every time I grill out no matter what I'm grilling, I throw a few hot dogs on to warm up later, hot dog on the grill is 2nd only to dogs at a game

I always get one at baseball games. So far Fenway Franks were the worst (too skinny) and I think the best I’ve had were at Wrigley.
reds used to have an area that had dollar cokes and hot dogs, was way out near center field in the upper deck, not near the quality of the 8-dollar hot dogs but still pretty damn good

At one point in time, I had been to all but about 3 major league ball parks. To this day, the best brat I’ve ever had was at the old Indianapolis Indians stadium (although not a major league park). Old Comisky had really good food, too. I’m talking about regular ball park fare. Nowadays, you can get a full on gourmet meal at these new stadiums if you choose.

At one point in time, I had been to all but about 3 major league ball parks. To this day, the best brat I’ve ever had was at the old Indianapolis Indians stadium (although not a major league park). Old Comisky had really good food, too. I’m talking about regular ball park fare. Nowadays, you can get a full on gourmet meal at these new stadiums if you choose.
diamond seats at Cincinnati have a buffet like a high-end restaurant, ate a couple shrimp and a slice of filet, asked myself what the hell I was doing, went and got nachos and a brat

hot dogs are the only thing stadiums do right. don't know why but a hot dog at a sporting event is always better
I refused to eat hot dogs when I was young. You can guess why. Didn’t have one until I was in my 20s. Finally broke down at a sporting event.

Hebrew National beef hot dogs are my current favorite hotdogs.

I like the Boar's Head natural casing hot dogs that I can get at Kroger. They're the kind that are all strung together like in the cartoons. I've probably have better natural casing dogs, but they're not that easy to come by in the local supermarkets up here so the Boar's Head will do. I just prefer the snap of hot dogs like this. They tend to be flavored a bit stronger as well and hold up to the mounds of onions and crap I tend to dump on them.

Coleman's mustard is the best, though no one asked.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I like the Boar's Head natural casing hot dogs that I can get at Kroger. They're the kind that are all strung together like in the cartoons. I've probably have better natural casing dogs, but they're not that easy to come by in the local supermarkets up here so the Boar's Head will do. I just prefer the snap of hot dogs like this. They tend to be flavored a bit stronger as well and hold up to the mounds of onions and crap I tend to dump on them.

Coleman's mustard is the best, though no one asked.

images
Colemans is good. Ton's of good mustard out there I find the expensive arent usually the best ones.

for me, a steak is great with just SnP and garlic powder. If it ever goes wrong, I keep A1 around for just those moments.
The steaks I cook I would put up against any steakhouse anywhere. Must have a good cut of beef. I let them set out at least an hour. Prior to putting on the grill, I coat them with Olive Oil, a generous amount of Kosher Salt and fresh ground pepper. I think put them on the grill, sometimes the egg and sometimes my gas grill. No matter the grill, I have the temp at about 700 degrees. Depending on cut determines how long I cook on each side but target is medium rare. So, for example, if I have a 2" Prime NY Strip, it will hit the grill, be turned after 3 minutes, let it cook another 3.5 minutes. Then, it's removed from the grill and placed in air tight Tupperware for another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, removed and serve and enjoy. Fantastic every time and delicious. And NEVER do I ever put any condiment on them, including ketchup!

which do you prefer on a hot dog
I HATE hot dogs, they upset my stomach. When I was younger I'd put mustard on an empty hot dog bun to fool the other kids into thinking I was eating a hot dog. I also used to dip my french fries into either my chocolate milkshake or mustard, because I also hate ketchup and I was trying to fit in.

In my dorm at IU I used to buy hotdogs and cook them on a hot plate in my room to provide them for my friends while a game was on or people were just hanging out. Since I only ate the buns there'd always be a shortage of buns compared to hot dogs, so I'd usually buy extra buns.

Now I go to Dollar Tree 2 or 3 times a week and buy a lot of packs of hot dogs, but they're for my dog who loves them. I use it as a bribe to get him to take his medicine every day, and he's fine with plain, no ketchup or mustard...

The steaks I cook I would put up against any steakhouse anywhere. Must have a good cut of beef. I let them set out at least an hour. Prior to putting on the grill, I coat them with Olive Oil, a generous amount of Kosher Salt and fresh ground pepper. I think put them on the grill, sometimes the egg and sometimes my gas grill. No matter the grill, I have the temp at about 700 degrees. Depending on cut determines how long I cook on each side but target is medium rare. So, for example, if I have a 2" Prime NY Strip, it will hit the grill, be turned after 3 minutes, let it cook another 3.5 minutes. Then, it's removed from the grill and placed in air tight Tupperware for another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, removed and serve and enjoy. Fantastic every time and delicious. And NEVER do I ever put any condiment on them, including ketchup!
You let raw meat sit out for an hr or more? You need to throw it out then. I jest , I follow slightly a crockpot site and some people just go nuts when people leave something out to thaw a bit too long or sit a minute out of the fridge. No sense putting in the fridge when it still hot after cooking.

It sounds good but I do have to ask on 2 inch think 3 -3.5 minutes a side? I like rare ,I mean really rare , something Goat and I actually agree on but that seems like a short time. I do inch + thick usually 4-5 mins depending and granted usually right out of fridge unless I just got home from store.

You let raw meat sit out for an hr or more? You need to throw it out then. I jest , I follow slightly a crockpot site and some people just go nuts when people leave something out to thaw a bit too long or sit a minute out of the fridge. No sense putting in the fridge when it still hot after cooking.

It sounds good but I do have to ask on 2 inch think 3 -3.5 minutes a side? I like rare ,I mean really rare , something Goat and I actually agree on but that seems like a short time. I do inch + thick usually 4-5 mins depending and granted usually right out of fridge unless I just got home from store.
Taking steaks out of the fridge and letting them rest an hour is standard operating procedure. If you have the grills I referenced and get to the temps I outline, then yes, it works exactly like I stated. The meat in strip cooks quicker than a filet. Plus, filets are generally thicker cuts. Most times I can tell how well the meat is cooked just by picking it up with the tongs, ie not enough, just right, over cooked. I have a Coyote gas grill that has an infrared burner. It sears steaks to perfection. I use the Egg if I want to get the charcoal flavor. Either way, they turnout perfect when done how I outline.

thanks, Crestwood is out a bit but next time in that area will pick some up
You can get the steaks there too. I’m generally expected to do the grilling at my sister’s and BIL’s house when I visit because neither do it well and I do. Their ribeyes and filets are also excellent.

Taking steaks out of the fridge and letting them rest an hour is standard operating procedure. If you have the grills I referenced and get to the temps I outline, then yes, it works exactly like I stated. The meat in strip cooks quicker than a filet. Plus, filets are generally thicker cuts. Most times I can tell how well the meat is cooked just by picking it up with the tongs, ie not enough, just right, over cooked. I have a Coyote gas grill that has an infrared burner. It sears steaks to perfection. I use the Egg if I want to get the charcoal flavor. Either way, they turnout perfect when done how I outline.
Obviously joking on the hr. part. I admit to being spur of the moment eater to a degree. I have a medium end gas grill and admit I dont pay attention to the temp gauge if it even works. I used to burn some hickory bark/ small bits off wood with the gas. Betterflavor but messy frill. I'm sure not up to yours but I do pretty good .

Reactions: aajohn2000

I do it about the same as he does. Salting the steaks and letting them sit out and come to room temperature is a key to a good tender steak. I like it on the rare side of medium and my wife likes hers on the well side of medium. Depending on the thickness it’s either 3 or 3.5 minutes a side for mine and 4 or 4.5 minutes a side for hers. Grill on high and over 500 degrees. I sometimes do them in a ribbed cast iron skillet in the oven at 500 degrees if it’s pouring rain out or something. Also, if it’s below freezing out I add another 30 to 40 seconds per side on the grill.

Obviously joking on the hr. part. I admit to being spur of the moment eater to a degree. I have a medium end gas grill and admit I dont pay attention to the temp gauge if it even works. I used to burn some hickory bark/ small bits off wood with the gas. Betterflavor but messy frill. I'm sure not up to yours but I do pretty good .
The brand / quality of grill does not matter. What matters is the heat / temp and no flare ups!

Koop's Dusseldorf mustard is excellent for brats, and not expensive at all
I cleared out a Meijer sale of Koops for 99cents a bottle for I think 6, some Dusseldorf. I like Belgian/ German styles more than English. Nathan's had their own for a while reasonable which was great on good dogs but they don't make it anymore which I wonder why? White Castle has/had a good Dusseldorf not sure currently.

I do it about the same as he does. Salting the steaks and letting them sit out and come to room temperature is a key to a good tender steak. I like it on the rare side of medium and my wife likes hers on the well side of medium. Depending on the thickness it’s either 3 or 3.5 minutes a side for mine and 4 or 4.5 minutes a side for hers. Grill on high and over 500 degrees. I sometimes do them in a ribbed cast iron skillet in the oven at 500 degrees if it’s pouring rain out or something. Also, if it’s below freezing out I add another 30 to 40 seconds per side on the grill.
I like to use a cast iron skillet as well and sear on the stove and then place in the oven. I still will put them in the tupperware and put a nice chunk of garlic butter on them while they finish cooking in the container. Hot damn this is making me hungry!

I like to use a cast iron skillet as well and sear on the stove and then place in the oven. I still will put them in the tupperware and put a nice chunk of garlic butter on them while they finish cooking in the container. Hot damn this is making me hungry!
I sear in another pan while the cast iron pan is waiting in the oven at 500+ degrees.

Making me hungry here in Flagstaff too. I told my wife and daughter we’re going out for steaks tonight. They have a couple of good local steakhouses here.

Last edited:
I HATE hot dogs, they upset my stomach. When I was younger I'd put mustard on an empty hot dog bun to fool the other kids into thinking I was eating a hot dog. I also used to dip my french fries into either my chocolate milkshake or mustard, because I also hate ketchup and I was trying to fit in.

In my dorm at IU I used to buy hotdogs and cook them on a hot plate in my room to provide them for my friends while a game was on or people were just hanging out. Since I only ate the buns there'd always be a shortage of buns compared to hot dogs, so I'd usually buy extra buns.

Now I go to Dollar Tree 2 or 3 times a week and buy a lot of packs of hot dogs, but they're for my dog who loves them. I use it as a bribe to get him to take his medicine every day, and he's fine with plain, no ketchup or mustard...
Oh I forgot I did that with buns and ketchup when I was a kid too.

Thank goodness there is a voice of reason here. I thought I was going to have to move to get away from all of these heathen mustard-lovers. Thankfully nobody brought up the Carolina abomination...ruining a perfectly good chili dog by putting coleslaw on it. I cried the first time someone brought me one of those.

The dowtown L.A. dog is an awesome evolution tho. Wrapped in bacon and cooked on a griddle amidst grilled onions and peppers. I cried first time I ate one of those for completely different reasons.
Cry some more - I like mustard on my chili dog.

I am a mustard snob. I despise the cheap bright yellow mustard, which was all we had when I was a kid. But more flavorful and even pungent brown mustards... yum.

Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?

Reactions: Crayfish57
I am a mustard snob. I despise the cheap bright yellow mustard, which was all we had when I was a kid. But more flavorful and even pungent brown mustards... yum.

Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?

I like most mustards, even the cheap yellow kind.

Although not a big fan of the super spicy mustard at Rathskeller. I generally like spicy stuff but that clears the sinuses a bit too well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT