ADVERTISEMENT

ketchup or mustard

The question is an abomination.

Each of ketchup and mustard on a hot dog is blasphemous unless you are under 6 years old. For an adult or an older kid, the only correct answer is part of what univee says: sweet relish and onions on a hot dog, maybe chili to go with it. Hell, I put relish and onions in my chili, so I guess chili on a hot dog is OK so long as it's accompanied by onions and sweet relish. Same with burgers.

I learned this from eating grill cheese sammiches at the Columbus Bar in C-bus. The old regime served them with sweet pickles, and I liked that. So I tried sweet pickles in other stuff . . . and sweet relish is often offered with hot dogs and burgers - so are onions - so I tried them on hot dogs.

Kids . . . .
I hate raw onions. I should say they also don’t like me. ;) I like relish and brown mustard best on my dogs.

The only thing that goes on Liver, is Sauteed Onions. YUM YUM YUM..

giphy.gif
Blehhh.

We had liver and onions occasionally when I was a kid and I never could stand it.

. . . and the man who has seen the world through the navy chimes in . . . .

Got it. You've seen what others do to their food.
Yep. We transferred my third ship to Chile. During the four month process I discovered a couple of things. First, they have awesome food. Their cooks and ours would collaborate or alternate cooking for the officers and it was wonderful. The Chileans do European/Spanish style food and it’s nothing like Mexican (which I also love). The second thing is mayonnaise must be the national condiment in Chile. We’d have ketchup and mayonnaise on the table for meals and the Chilean officers used mayonnaise like we used ketchup. They also made the mayonnaise from scratch and it was very good.

In my subsequent post-Navy trips to Europe I noticed that mayonnaise instead of ketchup was a thing.

Yep. We transferred my third ship to Chile. During the four month process I discovered a couple of things. First, they have awesome food. Their cooks and ours would collaborate or alternate cooking for the officers and it was wonderful. The Chileans do European/Spanish style food and it’s nothing like Mexican (which I also love). The second thing is mayonnaise must be the national condiment in Chile. We’d have ketchup and mayonnaise on the table for meals and the Chilean officers used mayonnaise like we used ketchup. They also made the mayonnaise from scratch and it was very good.

In my subsequent post-Navy trips to Europe I noticed that mayonnaise instead of ketchup was a thing.
Yep. And the French - and others - dip their fries in mayonnaise.

Neither.

On a dog give me a good chili and cheese to put on it.

For sandwiches or burgers, sriracha mayo is the only way to go.

Reactions: hoosboot
I don't really like hot dogs but on the rare occasion I do have one, it is both ketchup and mustard.

Awwwwmmm . . . sounds like an impulse buy . . . no due diligence.
If it’s a good pillow, it’s a good pillow. I don’t get into the politics behind the products I buy, the music I listen to, or the movies and shows I watch. If I did, I’d severely limit my options.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Yep. And the French - and others - dip their fries in mayonnaise.

Mayo and fries work, though good fries still don't need it.

Bloomington used to have a restaurant called Opie's. When their steak fries were cooked right, perfection. Crispy outside, pillowy inside. Anything added, except salt, was sure to detract. Which leads to a great question, why don't more places sell steak fries?

Arby's new crinkle fries are, for fast food, pretty darn good. I was angry they got rid of the potato cakes and refused to try them in protest. I was wrong, these are better.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

Bloomington used to have a restaurant called Opie's. When their steak fries were cooked right, perfection. Crispy outside, pillowy inside. Anything added, except salt, was sure to detract. Which leads to a great question, why don't more places sell steak fries?

Arby's new crinkle fries are, for fast food, pretty darn good. I was angry they got rid of the potato cakes and refused to try them in protest. I was wrong, these are better.

I ate at Opies a couple times. Good place.

Steak Fries are hit or miss depending on the seasoning used.

If I had to choose a potato option that I was I wish more places would use, it would be potato wedges. Fords Garage used to have killer potato wedges until covid broke the supply chain. Buffalo Wild Wings has passable potato wedges.

If going fast food, Chick Fil A's waffle fries are hard to beat.

I’m a crispy, skinny fries person. I do like lots of different dips for them.

. . . and just salt and pepper ground up on your rib-eye, right? Medium rare?

Gotcha . . . .

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
In parts of Europe and South America mayonnaise is essentially their ketchup. Whatever we’d normally put ketchup on or dip in ketchup, they do the same with mayonnaise.
Chick-fi-a and Freddy’s sauces are pretty good. I assume both start with mayo and then add stuff to it.

But neither sauce finds It’s way to good meat on my plate. I take my burgers straight, no nothing except onions, tomatoes and lettuce. The only exception is candied jalapeño which goes on a lot of stuff. I even bake bread with it. Sauce is for fries and veggies and sometimes chicken.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

Gotcha . . . .
I hammered a handful of whole peppercorns in my Blendtec and then rolled our Christmas tenderloin in it before baking. Fantastic.

Gotcha . . . .
If it is true medium rare. I had a NY strip at Texas Roadhouse a couple weeks ago that was really rare, don't like that at all. If they are going to miss for me, miss toward medium.

I don't mind steak spices, sometimes I use the Montreal spice or others. Garlic salt is good too.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I hammered a handful of whole peppercorns in my Blendtec and then rolled our Christmas tenderloin in it before baking. Fantastic.

My first trip to Denver we are at a restaurant that hammered in whole peppercorns into the steak. I loved it, never have found the restaurant again so I assume it went under.

If it is true medium rare. I had a NY strip at Texas Roadhouse a couple weeks ago that was really rare, don't like that at all. If they are going to miss for me, miss toward medium.

I don't mind steak spices, sometimes I use the Montreal spice or others. Garlic salt is good too.
Costco here has prime beef. It ain't cheap, and it comes in inconvenient packages (like 3 rib-eye steaks when you need just two), but the meat is flavorful.

Bought some wagyu ground beef packages there for burgers and lasagna . . . it's good too. Cooked at home . . . they're better and better priced than lesser stuff you can get eating out . . . .

I have THE best steak seasoning which I got local in Louisville. It’s called Gun Powder, and it’s excellent.

Costco here has prime beef. It ain't cheap, and it comes in inconvenient packages (like 3 rib-eye steaks when you need just two), but the meat is flavorful.

Bought some wagyu ground beef packages there for burgers and lasagna . . . it's good too. Cooked at home . . . they're better and better priced than lesser stuff you can get eating out . . . .

Sunday we go to Jungle Jim's in Cincy, a giant global grocer, and I will pick up some Wagyu. I haven't tried it ground, maybe I will this year.

Reactions: Sope Creek
My first trip to Denver we are at a restaurant that hammered in whole peppercorns into the steak. I loved it, never have found the restaurant again so I assume it went under.
The Fort serves a steak stuffed with green chilis or jalapeño. Good stuff. Goes well with their Rocky Mountain oysters and pumpkin muffins.

The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council is a thing, and they have an actual web site straight out of the 1990's. Here is their etiquette page:

Best known use for ketchup is this.

Formerly in Carthage then Knightstown on Main Street and now I believe in Florida selling on line is the best coppersmith you will ever find. His stuff is in the White House and the Smithsonian. I have a pair of copper curtain ties he made. A lady out in the country made home made ketchup and Bonne used it for the final cleaning of his items made of copper. If real ketchup cleans copper completely, do you really need to put it in your stomach? No. Clean your copper with it.

Formerly in Carthage then Knightstown on Main Street and now I believe in Florida selling on line is the best coppersmith you will ever find. His stuff is in the White House and the Smithsonian. I have a pair of copper curtain ties he made. A lady out in the country made home made ketchup and Bonne used it for the final cleaning of his items made of copper. If real ketchup cleans copper completely, do you really need to put it in your stomach? No. Clean your copper with it.
Just drop an old penny in ketchup. Cover the penny with the ketchup. The acid in the ketchup will clean the penny up shiny new. Been doing this since I was a kid.

Reactions: Ladoga
I rarely do it. The steaks I grill and the steakhouses I frequent require zero sauce. They are plenty flavorful on their own in how they are prepared and cooked. But like Zeke says, if there is ever one that’s not quite up to standard, hitting it with ketchup never disappoints. .

for me, a steak is great with just SnP and garlic powder. If it ever goes wrong, I keep A1 around for just those moments.

This?

I don’t know if that tastes the same. The stuff I get is mixed at the grocer. Don’t know the grocer though, my sister bought it for me since she lives there.

for me, a steak is great with just SnP and garlic powder. If it ever goes wrong, I keep A1 around for just those moments.
Yes, for me A1 is a cover for a bad cut of steak or one that gets over cooked a bit. I use A1 on burgers sometimes depending on mood.

I found what is called butchers blend of S&P already mixed with a little other spice works really well for grilling.

I find even just using for chili keeps my old brass skimmers and dippers cleaned well. I dont like polished just fresh raw brass. Sad antique ones that sold for $75-100 20 yrs ago are lucky to get 20-25 today so I just use them. Better than any new stuff you can buy and brass is a lot better than stainless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT