ADVERTISEMENT

Yikes the basketball team lost to northwestern at home. Fire the coach. Marv why don't you walk over there

mcmurtry66

Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2019
tomorrow and tell them you'll take over. no way you can't do as well for a fraction of the cost. today you don't have a no. gotta ask. so ask tomorrow. strike while it's hot. if they're going to have an old guy why not get bruce pearl. at least he'd be fun. or call crean

We wore ugly uniforms, so today was a total success.

Wasn't it the Cubs that said they would never hire Ernie Banks because they could never fire him? That is where we are heading with Woodson. We won't fire him this year.

However, my boss knows my interest in the job. He has told me to expect a call from Dolson soon. On April 1st to be exact.

I really don't know why Woodson doesn't like guards. Even with a healthy X we are not a good guard team. We are ok at 3, 4, and 5. If our guards were just average B10 we would be in the running for a tourney spot.

I will let you know April 1st when I get the call.

Wasn't it the Cubs that said they would never hire Ernie Banks because they could never fire him? That is where we are heading with Woodson. We won't fire him this year.

Good parallel. And I agree, he won't get fired this year. But unless something changes drastically early in the season next winter, I think next year will be his last. Dolson is going to have to have done his due diligence and have a list ready to go, but most importantly he'll have to set it up to give Woodson a graceful exit that doesn't burn bridges. Mike deserves that much.

Good parallel. And I agree, he won't get fired this year. But unless something changes drastically early in the season next winter, I think next year will be his last. Dolson is going to have to have done his due diligence and have a list ready to go, but most importantly he'll have to set it up to give Woodson a graceful exit that doesn't burn bridges. Mike deserves that much.
Mike should do what is right and retire after this season.

We wore ugly uniforms, so today was a total success.

However, my boss knows my interest in the job. He has told me to expect a call from Dolson soon. On April 1st to be exact.

I really don't know why Woodson doesn't like guards. Even with a healthy X we are not a good guard team. We are ok at 3, 4, and 5. If our guards were just average B10 we would be in the running for a tourney spot.

I will let you know April 1st when I get the call.
No, we’re really aren’t ok at 3,4 and 5. We have all looked through our crimson glasses and have overrated our talent. Slow, not quick, poor lateral movement and low basketball IQ. Can’t rebound worth shit. Ware may see some time in The Show, but Reneau won’t get his shot off in the paint and he’s a defensive liability. Mgbako can shoot a little but he has no real moves to the goal, a poor handle and other teams would salivate to see him trying to play any kind of defense.

Two definite G-leaguers or overseas pros and one who might be in the NBA for a cup of coffee before overseas.

Did you see them being beaten by guys IU likely never recruited and deemed unworthy of playing in the Big Ten?

We all need to be realistic. We don’t have much talent and we don’t have a coach/staff/philosophy that can coach the hell out of them so they can overcome their limitations.

We really gotta do this over here? Really?

BUT while your at it. WTF would a company put out Black trash bags with dark blue letters with no school affiliation on them, to gather brand awareness? Since I'm in sales and marketing, I want to know what I am missing here.
And NO I couldn't give 2 stuffs about uniforms, but this was business, idiot level stuff.

Reactions: 76-1
No, we’re really aren’t ok at 3,4 and 5. We have all looked through our crimson glasses and have overrated our talent. Slow, not quick, poor lateral movement and low basketball IQ. Can’t rebound worth shit. Ware may see some time in The Show, but Reneau won’t get his shot off in the paint and he’s a defensive liability. Mgbako can shoot a little but he has no real moves to the goal, a poor handle and other teams would salivate to see him trying to play any kind of defense.

Two definite G-leaguers or overseas pros and one who might be in the NBA for a cup of coffee before overseas.

Did you see them being beaten by guys IU likely never recruited and deemed unworthy of playing in the Big Ten?

We all need to be realistic. We don’t have much talent and we don’t have a coach/staff/philosophy that can coach the hell out of them so they can overcome their limitations.

I think we are ok, not great, at those positions. Given are really bad guard play, if we weren't ok somewhere we wouldn't have won any games in the B10.

We have a 3 that is inconsistent at shooting and didn't realize defense is part of the game. Our 4 is not at all athletic, our 5 isn't going to win physical matchups. That said, 4 and 5 have played well enough at times to get us wins.

But our guards cannot shoot and cannot stop straight line drives. When the bigs help on those drives, offensive rebounds open up.

I think we are ok, not great, at those positions. Given are really bad guard play, if we weren't ok somewhere we wouldn't have won any games in the B10.

We have a 3 that is inconsistent at shooting and didn't realize defense is part of the game. Our 4 is not at all athletic, our 5 isn't going to win physical matchups. That said, 4 and 5 have played well enough at times to get us wins.

But our guards cannot shoot and cannot stop straight line drives. When the bigs help on those drives, offensive rebounds open up.
I’ll stipulate that the guard play sucks. Cupps needed the time to learn and build himself up over his first year. C.J. Is just a flat-out mystery. But the real loss was Newton. Clips of him were pretty damn impressive. He could have really helped us if his knee hadn’t turned out to be such a mess.

I’ll stipulate that the guard play sucks. Cupps needed the time to learn and build himself up over his first year. C.J. Is just a flat-out mystery. But the real loss was Newton. Clips of him were pretty damn impressive. He could have really helped us if his knee hadn’t turned out to be such a mess.
There's the possibility of that what is a failure this year, could make for a damn fine time next year.

We went to Champaign for the women's game. Sometimes they remind me of the men. Illinois has small, quick guards. The past few games we scored enough to offset their ability to get to the rim every time. Today we couldn't. We need to figure out our defensive problems against quickness. Straight line drives are a real problem.

Reactions: TomEric4756
But Beard is available now and might not be next year.

Just once it would be nice to say “f*ck the haters” and make the obvious home run hire.

You have a guaranteed Top 10 coach in college basketball sitting there for the taking. That is rare. But we won’t do it because we’re worried about what people might think.

Last edited:

Just once it would be nice to say “f*ck the haters” and make the obvious home run hire.

You have a guaranteed Top 10 coach in college basketball sitting there for the taking. That is rare. But we won’t do it because we’re worried about what people might think.

Welcome to the board.... Chicago

MM, great critique.

Where and how did you learn about analyzing basketball ?

MM, great critique.

Where and how did you learn about analyzing basketball ?
I wish I knew something. My brother started the Munster AAU program and coached a long time, when he retired he was an assistant at PU Calumet then Gary West. He is a fanatic, if there is a game on he is watching.

Me, I am a rank amateur. But like all true Hoosiers I grew up at the high school gyms. We went to a lot of road games and all home. It is sad Indiana has lost that passion.

Bingo….you can still get a good crowd for a sectional but after that it is sad in comparison to pre-class.

Another victim of the participation trophy generation
I've always thought that Indiana screwed up by going to 4 classes. That's too many. In Illinois, they went to two classes in 1972, and both the big and the small schools (I think the cutoff was 750) retained interest. The small Class A Schools always filled the arena at the state championships, and I did go see a Class AA finals game when Effingham with Mitch Arnold and Uwe Blab lost to Chicago Manley. I think they have messed it up since, with more classes.

I've always thought that Indiana screwed up by going to 4 classes. That's too many. In Illinois, they went to two classes in 1972, and both the big and the small schools (I think the cutoff was 750) retained interest. I think they have messed it up since, with more classes.
Do two classes at the sectional level, then single the rest of the way.

So the Nebraska team is staying in the same floor of my hotel. I’ve seen them off and on for the past two days. The sad thing? I can’t even bring myself to trash talk them. I did consider trying to dr their food…

So the Nebraska team is staying in the same floor of my hotel. I’ve seen them off and on for the past two days. The sad thing? I can’t even bring myself to trash talk them. I did consider trying to dr their food…
You do know that I am a 'Braska player, right? I noticed you too. Those are awesome pumps. I have some extra Cannoli if you would allow me to come over. We could talk about game.

• Haha
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
By far the dumbest change is the regional and semistate formats. Now we have 1 game regionals and 8 team semistates. I guess it allows 4 extra teams per class to be called regional champs.

Reactions: larsIU
I am not confident about tonight. It really seems our defense isn't what we hoped, and judging from Monday I doubt Syd is close to normal.
I’m not either. I’m expecting two bad sports nights in a row. i know Syd wanted to be back, but think she should stay out until tourney, but we are losing chance to host.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I’m not either. I’m expecting two bad sports nights in a row. i know Syd wanted to be back, but think she should stay out until tourney, but we are losing chance to host.

I am worried about Chloe, she hasn't announced she is going to use her COVID year. I wonder if she wants to play her last year at Tennessee near family.

It is going to be difficult to host without a win against Iowa. At least one, tonight or in the BTT.

I am worried about Chloe, she hasn't announced she is going to use her COVID year. I wonder if she wants to play her last year at Tennessee near family.

It is going to be difficult to host without a win against Iowa. At least one, tonight or in the BTT.
We were just talking about Chloe. My friend said that she is anxious to graduate into the working world, so that doesn’t sound good either. Iowa is staying at my hotel also. Saw a couple girls who made over my dog, but no Caitlin yet.

I am not confident about tonight. It really seems our defense isn't what we hoped, and judging from Monday I doubt Syd is close to normal.

I'm going to post links to @hookyIU1990 's Live Chat room for tonight's game. I expect live updates from SSAH from you two.

And a number of the fan base really suck.

We were just talking about Chloe. My friend said that she is anxious to graduate into the working world, so that doesn’t sound good either. Iowa is staying at my hotel also. Saw a couple girls who made over my dog, but no Caitlin yet.
I wonder if Clark big times it and stays somewhere nicer. Not sure where that'd be, but I'd guess that Iowa/the Big Ten probably has to provide her some security.

I wonder if Clark big times it and stays somewhere nicer. Not sure where that'd be, but I'd guess that Iowa/the Big Ten probably has to provide her some security.
This is about as nice as it gets if you’re staying in Btown. But she might stay someplace different to throw stalkers ( like me) off.

Same bullshit directed at Mike Leach..won everywhere he coached, turned around big losers at Texas Tech, Washington State and died just two years into his stint at MSU....
IU couldn't imagine someone as 'controversial' as Leach...
Guy was a brilliant offensive innovator, recruiter and didn't suffer fools...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT