ADVERTISEMENT

SOTU serious thread

Are the states united again?

The State of the Union fiasco is a grim reminder of how partisan politics has made governing alongside the Potomac almost impossible.

Many of our states have a different problem. Not divided due to legislatures with super majorities.

So at the federal level evenly divided partisans cannot reach agreement. Meanwhile at the state level super majorities pass bundles of legislation while ignoring the opposition.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Well, just when Fields started rolling he got injured for 3 games. The rest of the season he played well. He's played 10 games less than Lawrence because the Bears team was in shambles and he was getting killed. Fields has also had 1,000 less snaps than Trevor Lawrence.

Remember, Trevor Lawrence was supposed to be a "generational talent", just like Caleb Williams. Lawrence is no bust, but to say Fields is a bust is crazy. (Not saying you're saying that, btw but some are). He's only 24. Caleb is 22.
Fields has never averaged over 200 ypg in a weak defensive division. He had a decent line this year and Plenty of weapons. Still couldn't crack it.

Reactions: BradStevens
Yea, a fenced off capital for the one the people adore. Gee I wonder why??? Last night was a joke from a 41 year political hack that has done nothing, but plagiarize and lie his way through office since 1972. Making racist comments about blacks being bussed and "growing up in a racial jungle" to his progressive policies that have failed miserably to gaslighting nonsense daily. The border bill was and is a joke! If CRIME was so down why is Hochul sending in 1000 National Guard? If inflation is so down why is credit card debt at an all time high? So he sits there and yells during his speech like a dem yelling because it's all they know how to do. Tell us everything is great while everything sucks. Supporting it looks foolish on so many levels.
Do you have to post under 3 screen names at the same time? It's beyond childish...

You're missing a master class in overacting.

Reminds me of Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction. Seemed sane at first….

She was obviously overcoached. I'll bet cash money she was a theater clubber in HS or college. Public speaking requires that you adjust for the setting. In theater, you're supposed to over-emote and exaggerate your facial expressions. In small groups, you adopt a conversational tone while sticking to the message. And when speaking into a camera, you need to act like there's one person you're talking to sitting across the table. She gave a theater performance to the camera.

No. He had a decent oline this year. Had weapons around him and still couldn't average 200 yards per game passing. In the NFC North which was not great defensively this year.

Trade him for a couple picks. Get Williams at #1 and hope someone like the WR for Washington is there at #9. Draft mainly D line the rest of the draft. Maybe some more o line. Tight end maybe.

The Bears, like IU athletics, needs to quit f-cking around and being cheap asses.

Ugh I can't resist a football/fantasy football thread! Apologize in advance.

He had Moore who had the best season of his career. He had Kmet who I like but isn't a separator. The rest of the pass catchers are dog shit. Can't get separation and high drop rates. If you guys want to stop f#$king around, get a potential elite wide receiver. They have longer careers and they are easier to scout so you don't bust on your pick.

Harrison Jr is considered one of the highest ranked wr prospects of all time. Better ranked than Chase, OBJ, Garrett Wilson etc coming out of college.

I think the question boils down to drop off. Is the drop off between an unknown guy like Williams to Fields more value added than the drop off between Harrison Jr and Mooney?

Would you rather have Williams, Moore and a guy like Mooney or Fields, Moore and Harrison Jr.

I do know that after the past two fantasy seasons that Fields has put up in that Bears offense, I'm buying heavily if he's traded to Pittsburgh or Atlanta with the weapons that will be around him.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Fields has never averaged over 200 ypg in a weak defensive division. He had a decent line this year and Plenty of weapons. Still couldn't crack it.
Plenty of weapons? DJ Moore and who else?

I didn't know this and tended to believe the argument that the president could 'shut down the border' if they wanted to.

Looks like they literally can't. Trump tried and he doesn't have the authority.

Current law says all you have to do is claim asylum and you're then entitled to go through the process. The recent bill would have addressed many of the shortcomings in current law, but that would have been a feather in Biden's cap. Can't have that.

Check out the Wash post article with charts comparing Biden and trump on the border. An election year Hail Mary that came out as a duck is no feather
Current law says all you have to do is claim asylum and you're then entitled to go through the process. The recent bill would have addressed many of the shortcomings in current law, but that would have been a feather in Biden's cap. Can't have that.
I didn't know this and tended to believe the argument that the president could 'shut down the border' if they wanted to.

Biden tried but stumbled through trying to say that quicker asylum case decisions would be a deterrent to the current mindset, which is now if we can get there and claim asylum it's 3 to 6 years (or something like that) before the case is heard.

So runners are motivated to cargo groups who are running from their current situation.

The other counter conventional argument that's being made for what's causing the surge is the 'shut down the border' rhetoric. The theory is it's not the 'hey come to America we're wide open' as we've always had that reputation. It's more the looming threat of shutting it down that's causing a black Friday like panic.

Not sure if I believe it 100% but if you see the recent surges (mid to late 2020) and recently they are around the times that shut downs were threatened (2020 shutdowns for covid).

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Biden tried but stumbled through trying to say that quicker asylum case decisions would be a deterrent to the current mindset, which is now if we can get there and claim asylum it's 3 to 6 years (or something like that) before the case is heard.

So runners are motivated to cargo groups who are running from their current situation.

The other counter conventional argument that's being made for what's causing the surge is the 'shut down the border' rhetoric. The theory is it's not the 'hey come to America we're wide open' as we've always had that reputation. It's more the looming threat of shutting it down that's causing a black Friday like panic.

Not sure if I believe it 100% but if you see the recent surges (mid to late 2020) and recently they are around the times that shut downs were threatened (2020 shutdowns for covid).
Shut down the border rhetoric should be the rhetoric of every administration right?

Reactions: jet812
Shut down the border rhetoric should be the rhetoric of every administration right?
Wouldn't action be better than rhetoric/playing politics?

Do you think Republicans would rather fix the border and it becoming a forgotten past issue or do you think they prefer the status quo so they can use it to win elections and power for years to come?

Do you think Republicans would rather fix the border and it becoming a forgotten past issue or do you think they prefer the status quo so they can use it to win elections and power for years to come?
The Republicans are not involved with the problem. The border disaster is a law enforcement problem not a law problem. Biden promised four years ago that he would open the border, that he would provide benefits to the Migrants, that he would not enforce the public charge exceptions, and that migrants had a right to be here. Biden disagrees with the law on an ideological level so he chooses to not enforce it. The problem is not Congress, the law, or republicans. It’s Biden/Mayorkas/Harris.

No, why would you say that?

I believe you lean towards an isolationist worldview but you want to be extreme closed off?

Appealing to your business, prosperity nature, that would cripple our economy. It's believed that the undocumented account for trillions of company profits over ten years, doing the shit jobs that no one wants to do (obviously with unemployment being at record lows).

The State of the Union fiasco is a grim reminder of how partisan politics has made governing alongside the Potomac almost impossible.
To hear a chant of “Four More Years” from the congressional chambers as the. President delivered a message required by the constitution was as damaging to democracy in it own way as J6. Have we permanently changed a nonpartisan unifying event into a partisan affair? Congress already has significant issues, this makes it worse.

• Haha
Reactions: zeke4ahs and hoot1

On top of that, he’s being forced to circumvent the system by secretly flying hundreds of thousands of immigrants around the country! GTFOH with this garbage making it sound like there is nothing he can do…

Reactions: mcmurtry66
No, why would you say that?

I believe you lean towards an isolationist worldview but you want to be extreme closed off?

Appealing to your business, prosperity nature, that would cripple our economy. It's believed that the undocumented account for trillions of company profits over ten years, doing the shit jobs that no one wants to do (obviously with unemployment being at record lows).
So some amount of illegal immigration “leakage” or people gaming the amnesty system is acceptable, because after all we need people for the shit jobs.

We granted over a million green card applications in 2022. Can’t find the the 2023 numbers yet but I’m sure it’s more.

If you think figure should be higher and allow for more unskilled labor that’s a somewhat rational position.

Degrading the border and bastardizing amnesty laws like this administration has done is irrational.

On top of that, he’s being forced to circumvent the system by secretly flying hundreds of thousands of immigrants around the country! GTFOH with this garbage making it sound like there is nothing he can do…
The lengths these people will go to defend Biden is hard to understand.

• Love
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Using the "current" law (as you say) devoid of the intent . Is why people from sudan rape your daughter in the trailer park.
You are better than this mark. YOur kind are using the "lack" of words to allow your (not yours I know, but mine and ours) to be raped or deprived. You supporting this crap is unethical and antithetical of how you can live with your "meager little" white trash portfolio!
There is zero doubt that you where good people that I would be proud of. Would have been before you went ... WTFE you call today. So sad.

The border problem with Presidents trying to fix it through rhetoric and Executive Orders along with Governors more than willing to get tough on "illegals" is a dream come true for pols willing to exploit the problem for their political benefit.

The border problem with Presidents trying to fix it through rhetoric and Executive Orders along with Governors more than willing to get tough on "illegals" is a dream come true for pols willing to exploit the problem for their political benefit.
It’s a pattern. Pick an issue and compare and contrast same to under trump. Border, global affairs, gas, prices. Biden has made everything worse. What’s frightening is we will have an older, even more impressionable version as he gets into his mid 80s. And he only picks incompetent people to surround himself with based on their skin color or what they do in a bedroom.

It’ll take a long time to recover from this admin.

The Bears had the 26th ranked line for pass protection in the NFL. This is a good summary (By the way, I'm not going to argue hypotheticals regarding Caleb vs. Justin, but the numbers say he's improved every year with a WEAK offensive line and 1 real weapon, unless you think Cole Kmet is a real weapon):

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
The Bears had the 26th ranked line for pass protection in the NFL. This is a good summary (By the way, I'm not going to argue hypotheticals regarding Caleb vs. Justin, but the numbers say he's improved every year with a WEAK offensive line and 1 real weapon, unless you think Cole Kmet is a real weapon):

You are arguing hypotheticals though. You posted a complimentary video of Fields followed by a derogatory video of Caleb. We know what your stance is. Just own it and stop being a coward.

Ugh I can't resist a football/fantasy football thread! Apologize in advance.

He had Moore who had the best season of his career. He had Kmet who I like but isn't a separator. The rest of the pass catchers are dog shit. Can't get separation and high drop rates. If you guys want to stop f#$king around, get a potential elite wide receiver. They have longer careers and they are easier to scout so you don't bust on your pick.

Harrison Jr is considered one of the highest ranked wr prospects of all time. Better ranked than Chase, OBJ, Garrett Wilson etc coming out of college.

I think the question boils down to drop off. Is the drop off between an unknown guy like Williams to Fields more value added than the drop off between Harrison Jr and Mooney?

Would you rather have Williams, Moore and a guy like Mooney or Fields, Moore and Harrison Jr.

I do know that after the past two fantasy seasons that Fields has put up in that Bears offense, I'm buying heavily if he's traded to Pittsburgh or Atlanta with the weapons that will be around him.
Can get Williams and Odunze, Nabors, or Bowers. We have #9 too.

Put Josh Allen on this Bears team. It would’ve been a playoff team. Ditto all other Top 5-7 QBs. Fields isn’t good.

If he was so good, why aren’t any teams with huge QB needs trading for him? Because GMs see his glaring weaknesses. Fantasy football has no relation to real football.

Let's not act like Trump was so hard on immigration... this was on his last day of office

These charts show the marked difference between Biden and trump. Biden is the worst president in modern history but trump was absolutely horrible and much of what makes Biden unthinkably bad trump is just the Lite version of same

Reactions: hookyIU1990
You are arguing hypotheticals though. You posted a complimentary video of Fields followed by a derogatory video of Caleb. We know what your stance is. Just own it and stop being a coward.

Fields isn't hypothetical. Caleb is. But, I have no idea how Caleb will turn out, so you're right about that.

Lots of swings and misses on this list.

That’s BS. it’s not what we are talking about. Closing the border means closing the border to illegal crossings. Of course the president has that authority. Even today Biden agreed when he said Laken Riley’s killer “shouldn’t have been here”.

Can get Williams and Odunze, Nabors, or Bowers. We have #9 too.

Put Josh Allen on this Bears team. It would’ve been a playoff team. Ditto all other Top 5-7 QBs. Fields isn’t good.

If he was so good, why aren’t any teams with huge QB needs trading for him? Because GMs see his glaring weaknesses. Fantasy football has no relation to real football.
Because they all think the Bears are going to dump him. If everyone knows you HAVE to sell your house, there's not going to be a bidding war for it.

Because they all think the Bears are going to dump him. If everyone knows you HAVE to sell your house, there's not going to be a bidding war for it.
There’s some truth to that. Vikings are in a similar spot. Teams are valuing Cousins and Mayfield more than Fields which should tell you all you need to know.

Reactions: DrHoops
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT