ADVERTISEMENT

Kelly on Trump

Pretty close. > 80% of retired four stars work as employees, directors, consultants, or lobbyists for the defense industry. I don’t think they are motivated by supporting and defending the Constitution. The money is significant and it all comes from Uncle Sam. Are you okay with this?

If you are going to discuss Ike, discuss all of him.

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence-economic, political, even spiritual-is felt in every city, every state house, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.​

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.​
i think that says a great deal. for cheney and all the rest of the self-dealing warmongering crowd. do you have a source for those stats?

Are you assuming Trump's going to lose? Because I'm not so sure I'd assume that. While I'd still say the election is in coin flip territory, where things are standing to day I think I'd probably rather be him than her.

Anyway....I don't think you are getting what I was saying. The entire situation with Lankford should indicate that the OG GOP really hasn't moved a whole lot on the issue. They'll never say so. But actions speak louder than words. And I think Lankford's position was generally representative of where the party establishment as a whole is.

The bill had "emergency measures" which essentially amounted to shutting down the border. In other words, they can do it when and if they decide they want to. But these measures were only put in motion when they reach a threshold of 5K encounters per day in a moving 7-day average.

Is there any reason you can think of why that number should be any higher than zero?
I'm not assuming anything. I hope he does because, besides being unfit for the office, it's probably necessary to reform the GOP into a viable long-term party. MAGA isn't it. Unfortunately, even the Reagan party isn't it. It will need to include everything we all agree on and some things will require some compromise and revisions.

No, I don't believe the number should be higher than zero, but realistically getting to zero is probably impossible. We can approach it though if given the resources. Which that bill did include, by the way.

Pretty close. > 80% of retired four stars work as employees, directors, consultants, or lobbyists for the defense industry. I don’t think they are motivated by supporting and defending the Constitution. The money is significant and it all comes from Uncle Sam. Are you okay with this?

If you are going to discuss Ike, discuss all of him.

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence-economic, political, even spiritual-is felt in every city, every state house, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.​

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.​

I don't get you guys. For more than a generation you guys pounded the hell out of Democrats on Free Trade. Democrats because of union ties tended to have some protectionism. Election after election conservatives railed on Reagan's belief of free trade.

That same post Reagan generation, Democrats tended to want to cut defense. The Reagan defense strategy was very simple, more is better. Republicans ran against Democrats on this issue, called us naive to think we could cut defense, said we would make the world a much more dangerous place.

Suddenly Trump appears and you (figuratively and in this case, also literally) jump on board that free trade is evil and now we get the Ike "military-industrial complex" speech straight from Bernie.

MAGA Republicans only have one core philosophy I guess, oppose anything and everything Democrats support. That includes, as McConnell now admits, turning on Reagan.

i still largely disagree with this crazed. i'm convinced that the gop fractured over blue collar workers that were independnets or largely dems. trump struck a nerve with those people. they aren't hte warmongering crowd and don't like trickle down. they were the working folks that the dems supplanted with lbgqtpy and academic libs

Well, you're certainly entitled to be wrong. ;)

Keep in mind the history here. Bush tried to push through "comprehensive immigration reform". McCain ran on it. There was the Gang of 8 bill -- where they stripped out the border triggers (basically the idea was that the naturalization measures wouldn't kick in until and unless they achieved benchmarks in securing the border).

Any attempt to reform immigration policy always got hung up. And the stumbling block wasn't Republican politicians so much as it was Republican voters -- and their single biggest issue was sealing up the border. The pols knew this (they aren't dumb). But they are just absolutely unwilling to address it.

Then along comes Trump and his "big, beautiful wall." Nobody took his candidacy seriously at first -- and then they all collectively freaked out when he started showing real signs of support.

Immigration wasn't the only issue Trump exploited to get so many voters to leave the old GOP. But it was the biggest one -- by a lot, IMO.

game. set. match. COH. Mods do what you do

the-miz-mic-drop.gif

Well, you're certainly entitled to be wrong. ;)

Keep in mind the history here. Bush tried to push through "comprehensive immigration reform". McCain ran on it. There was the Gang of 8 bill -- where they stripped out the border triggers (basically the idea was that the naturalization measures wouldn't kick in until and unless they achieved benchmarks in securing the border).

Any attempt to reform immigration policy always got hung up. And the stumbling block wasn't Republican politicians so much as it was Republican voters -- and their single biggest issue was sealing up the border. The pols knew this (they aren't dumb). But they are just absolutely unwilling to address it.

Then along comes Trump and his "big, beautiful wall." Nobody took his candidacy seriously at first -- and then they all collectively freaked out when he started showing real signs of support.

Immigration wasn't the only issue Trump exploited to get so many voters to leave the old GOP. But it was the biggest one -- by a lot, IMO.
i definitely think it resonated but again i don't think it was the biggest. i was marinating my brain at that time and don't remember immigration being anywhere close to the issue it is today. certainly an issue as evidenced by the push for a wall but not at the forefront. i certainly could be wrong

I don't get you guys. For more than a generation you guys pounded the hell out of Democrats on Free Trade. Democrats because of union ties tended to have some protectionism. Election after election conservatives railed on Reagan's belief of free trade.

That same post Reagan generation, Democrats tended to want to cut defense. The Reagan defense strategy was very simple, more is better. Republicans ran against Democrats on this issue, called us naive to think we could cut defense, said we would make the world a much more dangerous place.

Suddenly Trump appears and you (figuratively and in this case, also literally) jump on board that free trade is evil and now we get the Ike "military-industrial complex" speech straight from Bernie.

MAGA Republicans only have one core philosophy I guess, oppose anything and everything Democrats support. That includes, as McConnell now admits, turning on Reagan.
i think the closer reality is maga republicans are closer to dems than old guard pubs. maga pubs don't want all the wars. would cut defense. are old blue collar labor. many with union ties now. protectionist etc.

I'm not assuming anything. I hope he does because, besides being unfit for the office, it's probably necessary to reform the GOP into a viable long-term party. MAGA isn't it. Unfortunately, even the Reagan party isn't it. It will need to include everything we all agree on and some things will require some compromise and revisions.

It's somewhat encouraging to see even Democrats moving away from their past positions and rhetoric on immigration. Contrast Harris' answer last night on illegal immigration and the border with her rhetoric in the 2020 cycle.

I don't think the compromise needs to be that hard. Secure the border. Make it as difficult as we can for new people to come here illegally -- or overstay their visas when they're here.

Simultaneously, we can increase the capacity for accommodating legal immigration -- and we can shape exactly what we want that to look like (in terms of skills, etc.). And then we determine what to do with people who are already here.

But the Jim Lankfords and Chris Murphys of the world are going to have to cut bait on the border. They simply aren't going to win that battle.

No, I don't believe the number should be higher than zero, but realistically getting to zero is probably impossible.

Oh, I'm not saying we'll ever actually prevent 100% of attempted illegal entries. That's not what I was getting at. I'm talking about the tolerance in the law itself. The notion that we'll only shut the border down after we've average 5k daily encounters (that's up to 1.8M per year) is absurd.

But it shows where the mindset is in Washington on this issue.

We can approach it though if given the resources. Which that bill did include, by the way.

The problem isn't the resources. It's the political will. They don't want to do it -- thus the threshold thing. Once that became public and imperiled the bill's chances, did you see its sponsors and authors being willing to get rid of it in order to ensure passage?

No. They'd literally rather the bill have died than do that. And that's the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcmurtry66

You are trying to pack 10 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag.

A few things.

Everything is dynamic. 40 year old positions might not be valid now.

Nurance. Procurement, politics and policy is not always consistent with readiness and capability. Years of preaching about climate change being the biggest national security threat is Facing the military is BS DEI enhancing readiness and capability is hogwash. Politicians take their eye off the ball.

You are correct about opposing everything Democrats champion. Borders, Iran, Ukraine, government competence, energy, spending, property crime, police and military recruitment, and more are all a frickin mess because of Democrat positions and initiatives. Whenever a Democrat mumbles something about an “all of government” approach to a problem, look out, because all of government has become a trainwreck.

Trump and his promise to put Musk in charge of recommending reforms is a sign of hope. The Democrats want to put both of them in jail.

game. set. match. COH. Mods do what you do

I've been acquainted with retired Air Force LG John Conaway through his late son Bo. Conaway's long retired now -- like retired retired. During his military career, he ended up as the Chief of the National Guard Bureau -- including during the first Gulf War. I think he retired in that post, if memory serves.

According to Bo, he cashed in on his career pretty good after he left uniformed service. And he said that pretty much all Gens and Admirals do that -- which you can't blame them, I guess.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I've been acquainted with retired Air Force LG John Conaway through his late son Bo. Conaway's long retired now -- like retired retired. During his military career, he ended up as the Chief of the National Guard Bureau -- including during the first Gulf War. I think he retired in that post, if memory serves.

According to Bo, he cashed in on his career pretty good after he left uniformed service. And he said that pretty much all Gens and Admirals do that -- which you can't blame them, I guess.
i don't blame them in the least. but when you have a vested pecuniary interest in keeping that pump primed you hvae to question motives at least to some degree when it comes to a person who wants to turn it down

Sigh...Good post. Too much painful truth here.

FWIW, pretty much all post WW2 US presidents have more or less been advocates of "free-ish" trade. But obviously there are some noteworthy exceptions in there. I think Reagan was the most vociferous proponent of it. And he was right to be. But we also had NAFTA (which spanned Bush41 and Clinton) and many, many other trade expansions.

Free trade is most certainly not evil. It does create winners and losers -- and often the winners are foreigners and the losers are Americans. But it's folly to forget the other side of the ledger and how critically important it is to our well-being.

However, I've never been of the mind that "more is better" when it comes to defense. I think the defense industry is inefficient and absolutely drenched in graft. It wouldn't bother me in the least to see our defense budget trimmed -- but I think it should be done with a fresh needs assessment to ensure that our military's structure and armaments match up well with the threat matrix.

Partisan hackery has no intellectual tether.

Sigh...Good post. Too much painful truth here.

FWIW, pretty much all post WW2 US presidents have more or less been advocates of "free-ish" trade. But obviously there are some noteworthy exceptions in there. I think Reagan was the most vociferous proponent of it. And he was right to be. But we also had NAFTA (which spanned Bush41 and Clinton) and many, many other trade expansions.

Free trade is most certainly not evil. It does create winners and losers -- and often the winners are foreigners and the losers are Americans. But it's folly to forget the other side of the ledger and how critically important it is to our well-being.

However, I've never been of the mind that "more is better" when it comes to defense. I think the defense industry is inefficient and absolutely drenched in graft. It wouldn't bother me in the least to see our defense budget trimmed -- but I think it should be done with a fresh needs assessment to ensure that our military's structure and armaments match up well with the threat matrix.

I too would love to see defense trimmed, it has to be to get us toward a balanced budget. I am just tired of the "this general doesn't like Trump so obviously he's rent-seeking" philosophy. The idea that supporting Trump is a new loyalty oath is abhorrent.

A lot of generals don't like Biden, didn't like Obama. I invite CO to go back and see how many times I impugned their character.

I fear the oath Aloha listed will for Germany will be our new model, and our MAGA friends will see nothing wrong with swearing loyalty to the president.

McChrystal wasn't a big fan of Obama, see below. Saying it in uniform was a problem, sitting Generals are covered by a certain protocol. But I don't question his loyalty or his service.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Doesn’t Bing outrank Aloha? I thought Bing was a big shot of some kind in the military.
I think Bing is a Colonel, which would equate to Aloha's Naval Captain rank. But I could be wrong, Bing has been infrequent here while he serves in the Pentagon evidently learning rent-seeking as they all do.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucy01
I too would love to see defense trimmed, it has to be to get us toward a balanced budget.

Also, @twenty02 is right that the defense budget has already been pared back - at least by historical standards. But I personally am fine with trimming it more.

But, let’s face it, the vast majority of fiscal repair would have to come from non-discretionary budget items — which is to say entitlements.

That’s why I’m not hopeful it will ever happen…and that they’ll just take the politically easy way out and rely on the Fed to expand the monetary base.

Do you really? Like…really, really?

I wouldn’t fear that.
You joking? You like this oath and have no issue with it:

“I swear by God this holy oath, that I will render to Donald J Trump, Leader of the United States and People, Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, unconditional obedience, and that I am ready, as a military member, to risk my life at any time for this oath”

You joking? You like this oath and have no issue with it:

“I swear by God this holy oath, that I will render to Donald J Trump, Leader of the United States and People, Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, unconditional obedience, and that I am ready, as a military member, to risk my life at any time for this oath”

Seriously, Aloha? You misunderstood what I was saying.

Of course I’d have a problem with the Hitler Oath. I’m saying we shouldn’t fear it becoming ours. That’s unhinged.

But, let’s face it, the vast majority of fiscal repair would have to come from non-discretionary budget items — which is to say entitlements.

We have blown entitlements by not addressing them sooner. 20 years ago, modest changes would have made a huge difference. But now the iceberg is dead ahead and hard to port may not be enough.

It needed to be balanced, modest cuts and modest enhancement. But we were stuck on "it has to all come from your side."

I am not sure Trump will go that far, but I am sure he will view personal loyalty first and foremost. Promotion at higher grades requires the president.

If so, that wouldn’t be a terribly novel thing.

Lincoln and McClellan. Truman and MacArthur.

I mean, would any president tolerate military officers who were overtly or covertly thwarting them and their policies? There’s only one CinC, after all.

Maybe. I’m just saying it’s not something anybody should be fretting.

There’s just so much hyperbole surrounding Trump. I get it, and why there is. But I just don’t think serious people should allow themselves to get swept up in it.
The President doesn’t have the authority to change the oath.

If so, that wouldn’t be a terribly novel thing.

Lincoln and McClellan. Truman and MacArthur.

I mean, would any president tolerate military officers who were overtly or covertly thwarting them and their policies? There’s only one CinC, after all.
Truman and Lincoln let both go along for a long time.

The problem is something like this:

If a military officer's duty is to the Constitution, that order would have one answer. If that same officer's duty is to the C-in-C, a different answer.

You can dismiss the generals against Trump if you want, but FULLY HALF OF HIS FORMER CABINET oppose him!

Plus tons of others in his inner circle. You can bet that the number opposing him off-the-record is double or more, given Trump's fixation on retaliation for any perceived slight.

If you extend the list to house and senate Republicans and Republicans serving in other administrations, we would be here all day

a partial list, just from his inner circle:

Alyssa Farah Griffin, White House Director of Strategic Communications (2020), Press Secretary of the U.S. Department of Defense (2019–2020), Press Secretary to the Vice President (2017–2019)

Stephanie Grisham, White House Press Secretary (2019-2020), White House Communications Director (2019-2020), Press Secretary for the First Lady (2017-2019, 2020-2021), Chief of Staff to the First Lady (2020-2021)

Cassidy Hutchinson, executive assistant to the White House Chief of Staff (2020–2021)

Sarah Matthews, Deputy White House Press Secretary (2020–2021)

Omarosa Manigault Newman, Communications Director of the Office of Public Liaison (2017–2018)

Anthony Scaramucci, White House Communications Director (2017)

Olivia Troye, Homeland Security adviser and lead COVID-19 adviser to Mike Pence (2018–2020)

John Mitnick, former Department of Homeland Security General Counsel (2018–2019)

Robert Shanks, former Peace Corps General Counsel

Olivia Troye, former Homeland Security adviser and lead COVID-19 adviser to Mike Pence (2018–2020)

Paul J. Selva, Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (2015–2019)

Elizabeth Neumann, former Department of Homeland Security Assistant Secretary for Counterterrorism and Threat Prevention (2016–2020)

Miles Taylor, Chief of Staff to Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen (2019)

William H. Webster, Chair of the Homeland Security Advisory Council (2005–2020), Director of Central Intelligence (1987–1991), Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (1978–1987), Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit (1973–1978), Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri (1970–1973), U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Missouri (1960–1961)

Mike Pence, U.S. Vice President (2017–2021) under Trump, Governor of Indiana (2013–2017), U.S. Representative from IN-06 (2003–2013), U.S. Representative from IN-02 (2001–2003)

John Bolton, U.S. National Security Advisor (2018–2019), Ambassador to the United Nations (2005–2006)

Dan Coats, Director of National Intelligence (2017–2019), U.S. Senator from Indiana (1989–1999; 2011–2017)

Mark Esper, U.S. Secretary of Defense (2019–2020), U.S. Secretary of the Army (2017–2019)

John F. Kelly, White House Chief of Staff (2017–2019), U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security (2017)

H. R. McMaster, U.S. National Security Advisor (2017–2018)

Ty Cobb, White House Special Counsel (2017–2018), Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Maryland in (1981–1986)

Marc Short, Chief of Staff to the Vice President (2019–2021)

Greg Brower, assistant director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (2017), U.S. Attorney for the District of Nevada (2008–2009)

Sofia Kinzinger, Press Secretary U.S. Department of Homeland Security (2020), Strategic Media Director, Office of the U.S. Vice President (2018–2020) (endorsed Kamala Harris)

Andrew McCabe, Deputy (and Acting) Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (2016–2018), (thinks Trump may be a Russian asset)

General Mark Milley, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (2019–2023)

John Mitnick, General Counsel of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (2018–2019)

Elizabeth Neumann, DHS Assistant Secretary for Counterterrorism and Threat Prevention (2018–2020), DHS Deputy Chief of Staff (2017–2018), Homeland Security Council (2003–2006)[34] (endorsed Kamala Harris)[35]

Richard V. Spencer, U.S. Secretary of the Navy (2017–2019)[36]

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT