ADVERTISEMENT

Trump praises despots and autocrats

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
Trump: Hitler "did some good things."

Trump: Admires Hitler's ability to maintain his senior staff's "loyalty" while Trump could not.

Trump: Repeatedly harnesses Hitler's hateful "poisoning the blood" rhetoric.

Trump: Has praised Putin repeatedly.

Trump: "There's nobody that's a better, smarter, better leader than Viktor Orban. He's fantastic!"

Trump: Chinese leader Xi Jinping is "brilliant."

Trump: North Korea's Kim Jong Un is "an OK guy."

Former Trump Chief of Staff General John Kelly: Trump was "shocked that he didn't have dictatorial powers" with respect to moving money or US military forces.

General John Kelly: "My theory on why he likes the dictators so much is that’s who he is."

Despicable, and a clear and present danger.

Trump: Admires Hitler's ability to maintain his senior staff's "loyalty" while Trump could not.

Trump: "There's nobody that's a better, smarter, better leader than Viktor Orban. He's fantastic!"

Former Trump Chief of Staff General John Kelly: Trump was "shocked that he didn't have dictatorial powers" with respect to moving money or US military forces.

General John Kelly: "My theory on why he likes the dictators so much is that’s who he is."

All you’re doing is listing the things that make him electable to the people who would vote for him. You’re just reaffirming their decision.

Reactions: Indyhorn

Can you imagine any president - Democrat or Republican - praising dictators like this and not getting roundly criticized?

I keep coming back to the idea that he’s made a deal with the devil. That’s the only thing I can come up with that explains his constant electability. I honestly wonder what it would take for him to fall out of favor with Republicans. I think they’d rationalize anything at this point.

Can you imagine any president - Democrat or Republican - praising dictators like this and not getting roundly criticized?

I keep coming back to the idea that he’s made a deal with the devil. That’s the only thing I can come up with that explains his constant electability. I honestly wonder what it would take for him to fall out of favor with Republicans. I think they’d rationalize anything at this point.
I was reading a piece recently by a formerTurkish journalist who lived through the birth and growth of authoritarianism in Turkey. He doesn't believe Trump can complete the transformation in just four additional years but still believes another Trump presidency would be disastrous for the United States:

"What I have seen in Turkey, Poland and Hungary suggests there is a turbulent time between the election of an illiberal leader and the establishment of a dictatorship when resistance will flourish. Any attempt at state capture by Trump will face a pushback from media, bureaucracy, major cities and the judiciary.

That resistance is necessary and will emerge at every level of civic life. It will also damage and tear up America in ways that are unimaginable today. It is easier to stop Trump now than to wait until after he becomes president again, when polarization and the push-and-pull between Trump and his opposition will consume the nation’s energy and cripple state resources. It will drain every bit of energy this country has.

So my message to America is, do not panic — but organize. The most successful method of fighting creeping authoritarianism is alliance building and effective opposition — preferably before the election. After the election, it will be more costly to stop it."

The dysfunction and chaos surrounding a second Trump presidency would make the first one seem like peace and harmony.

Reactions: cosmickid

I don’t think you could even guess what’s missing from your point. This is dumb. Kelly is particularly disappointing.

You don't know who or what you're responding to. And you've become so mean-spirited. Sad.

Get some rest.
You would become mean-spirited, too, if you had to continually defend an asswipe like Trump. I have no doubt COH is generally a very rational and ethical person, but the moral gymnastics he has to perform to justify his belief in DJT have to be wearing the old guy out.

You would become mean-spirited, too, if you had to continually defend an asswipe like Trump. I have no doubt COH is generally a very rational and ethical person, but the moral gymnastics he has to perform to justify his belief in DJT have to be wearing the old guy out.

At some point you need to just admit you fvcked up and let yourself get conned. It's the only way to arrest the downward spiral.

Reactions: outside shooter
I’m
i have enough game to skewer Cailey Gleason in a few minutes of one-on-one.
She suffers from TDS and a thinking defect. Bad combo.

My “Belief in DJT”. That’s a good one. You do remember me sayin I actually invested $ in Haley. I’d do it again

You got so many derangement syndromes I can’t even list them all.

I was reading a piece recently by a formerTurkish journalist who lived through the birth and growth of authoritarianism in Turkey. He doesn't believe Trump can complete the transformation in just four additional years but still believes another Trump presidency would be disastrous for the United States:

"What I have seen in Turkey, Poland and Hungary suggests there is a turbulent time between the election of an illiberal leader and the establishment of a dictatorship when resistance will flourish. Any attempt at state capture by Trump will face a pushback from media, bureaucracy, major cities and the judiciary.

That resistance is necessary and will emerge at every level of civic life. It will also damage and tear up America in ways that are unimaginable today. It is easier to stop Trump now than to wait until after he becomes president again, when polarization and the push-and-pull between Trump and his opposition will consume the nation’s energy and cripple state resources. It will drain every bit of energy this country has.

So my message to America is, do not panic — but organize. The most successful method of fighting creeping authoritarianism is alliance building and effective opposition — preferably before the election. After the election, it will be more costly to stop it."

The dysfunction and chaos surrounding a second Trump presidency would make the first one seem like peace and harmony.
Turkish journalist? Omg, that settles it, Trump’s folks better hope that doesn’t get out. You should hide.
At some point you need to just admit you fvcked up and let yourself get conned. It's the only way to arrest the downward spiral.
I’ll freely admit I was conned. I voted for Biden.😳

Turkish journalist? Omg, that settles it, Trump’s folks better hope that doesn’t get out. You should hide.

I’ll freely admit I was conned. I voted for Biden.😳
Hope what doesn't get out? Hide from what?

Maybe you're better with the spoken word. You rarely add anything of value here.

I’m

My “Belief in DJT”. That’s a good one. You do remember me sayin I actually invested $ in Haley. I’d do it again

Weak.

I’m

Then prove you are not a trumpster by not defending him for anything and everything.

The only people with tds are those that are in his cult

Then prove you are not a trumpster by not defending him for anything and everything.

The only people with tds are those that are in his cult
I’ve never defended Trump. I have:

A. Pointed out the lunacy of hair-brained attacks on him; (This thread being one). I do that for entertainment.
B. Agreed with most of his decisions and actions prior to November 2020. I do that because it’s very important.

I’ve never defended Trump. I have:

A. Pointed out the lunacy of hair-brained attacks on him; (This thread being one). I do that for entertainment.
B. Agreed with most of his decisions and actions prior to November 2020. I do that because it’s very important.
If you truly believe that a discussion of the first-hand observations of a decorated and respected General and Chief of Staff to a former president who praises and fawns over ruthless dictators is a "hair-brained attack" and/or "lunacy," then you're completely detached from reality.

If you truly believe that a discussion of the first-hand observations of a decorated and respected General and Chief of Staff to a former president who praises and fawns over ruthless dictators is a "hair-brained attack" and/or "lunacy," then you're completely detached from reality.
I don’t dispute his observations. That’s not the point. The hair- brained attack is as I said.

The fact that these people absolutely ignore the first hand knowledge of people who know him and have worked with him is one thing I will never understand. They think they are better able to judge his fitness and character better than the people who know him best.

I detect no intelligence.

There is nothing dumber than an actor without a script telling them what to say and a director telling them how to say it.
Robert DeNiro is a remarkably mediocre person once the cameras go off. And let's call a spade a spade. The Irishman and Killers of the Flower Moon were overlong, meandering, snooze fests.

He hasn't starred in a truly great movie since Meet The Parents.

The fact that these people absolutely ignore the first hand knowledge of people who know him and have worked with him is one thing I will never understand. They think they are better able to judge his fitness and character better than the people who know him best.
More from Trump's former Chief of Staff, General John Kelly:

"Every incoming president is shocked that they actually have so little power without going to the Congress, which is a good thing. It’s Civics 101, separation of powers, three equal branches of government.

“But in [Trump's] case, he was shocked that he didn’t have dictatorial-type powers to send U.S. forces places or to move money around within the budget. And he looked at Putin and Xi and that nutcase in North Korea as people who were like him in terms of being a tough guy.

"He truly believed, when he brought us generals in, that we would be loyal — that we would do anything he wanted us to do."

Trump campaign spokesman Steven Cheung didn't address the allegations but said that General Kelly "suffers from a severe case of Trump Derangement Syndrome." So if you criticize "He Who Must Not Be Criticized," you've got TDS. Weak, but hilarious.

Just a comment regarding the opinion of Trump supporters that his dictator talk is just harmless rhetoric. it's just "Trump being Trump."

Here's the thing. What Trump did between November 3, 2020 and January 20, 2021 wasn't rhetoric. He tried to illegally hold onto power and overturn an election that he lost. That is not rhetoric but conduct typical of strongman dictators and unprecedented in the history of the United States presidency. Can't believe I even need to say this, but that conduct should be disqualifying as it renders him wholly unfit for office.

Reactions: Bill4411
Robert DeNiro is a remarkably mediocre person once the cameras go off. And let's call a spade a spade. The Irishman and Killers of the Flower Moon were overlong, meandering, snooze fests.

He hasn't starred in a truly great movie since Meet The Parents.
I loved those Meet the Parents flicks. DiNaro at his best. He has done quality acting work, but as an individual he is meh.

Last edited:
Just a comment regarding the opinion of Trump supporters that his dictator talk is just harmless rhetoric. it's just "Trump being Trump."

Here's the thing. What Trump did between November 3, 2020 and January 20, 2021 wasn't rhetoric. He tried to illegally hold onto power and overturn an election that he lost. That is not rhetoric but conduct typical of strongman dictators and unprecedented in the history of the United States presidency. Can't believe I even need to say this, but that conduct should be disqualifying as it renders him wholly unfit for office.
I haven’t and won’t defend his post election conduct. I think it was ill-advised, counterproductive , dumb, and led to significant danger and destruction.

But it wasn’t a strong man tactic-not close. In fact it was rather weak compared to what is said about it. It wasn’t an insurrection. It was finished within hours. It lives on because many influential people need it to live on. Now we see that the select committee hid exculpating evidence? As I said, certain people need the narrative.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Dumb, I dont ignore Kelly. I stipulated he told the truth. The point is that you think Kelly’s statements end the discussion about what Trump believes, and I think you are wrong. You have fallen for a well worn form of deception.

• Haha
Reactions: Bowlmania
I haven’t and won’t defend his post election conduct. I think it was ill-advised, counterproductive , dumb, and led to significant danger and destruction.

But it wasn’t a strong man tactic-not close. In fact it was rather weak compared to what is said about it. It wasn’t an insurrection. It was finished within hours. It lives on because many influential people need it to live on. Now we see that the select committee hid exculpating evidence? As I said, certain people need the narrative.
I'm not talking about one day. I'm talking November 3, 2020 to January 20, 2021. I'm talking about the conduct detailed in the election subversion indictment. January 6 was just a piece of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT