ADVERTISEMENT

Disrespecting the flag

Actually, certain words are automatically modified to ******.
You're on a privately owned message board, and so you have to comply with the owners' rules . . . I would imagine this little impediment must be tough for a narcissist . . . .
I did not post a word. I posted, literally, astericks. That (******) was censored.

However back to the issue. Would you have any concerns about an openly gay third grade teacher reading a gay-themed book to (your) children who are like 6-7 years old? Like this?

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacket...ad-gay-fairy-tale-resigns-20150616-story.html

I'm VERY concerned about this:

81cccgZf1JL._SY355_.jpg

Lucky Charms clearly has a HOMOSEXUAL AGENDA! And look at the leprechaun even...looks pretty light in his loafers to me! Notice there is no shillelagh in the picture? Let's just say I bet I know where it is...and it's not in the umbrella stand.

Last edited:
Reactions: sglowrider
I did not post a word. I posted, literally, astericks. That (******) was censored.

However back to the issue. Would you have any concerns about an openly gay third grade teacher reading a gay-themed book to (your) children who are like 6-7 years old? Like this?

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacket...ad-gay-fairy-tale-resigns-20150616-story.html
What's this got to do with Trump coloring a flag with a bunch of kids in a classroom where a rainbow is on the wall?

You're working really hard to avoid the issue . . . which is that having a rainbow on the wall in an elementary school classroom is not per se an LGBTQ political statement.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Reactions: DrHoops and Quix0te
Which of you already have kids?

EDIT: That you raise in your home... I’m considering the audience

Reactions: DrHoops
Fear drives the whole Trumpian dynamic. Fear of change, fear of brown people, fear of gays, fear of mooslims, fear of rainbows, fear of avocado toast, fear of women, fear of sex. .... Nothing motivates them like fear.
Yes I fear all those things.....:rolleyes:

Reactions: Quix0te
Here's how the parents who actually lived there and had their own kids subjected to this sickening depravity responded, and it wasn't kissy-huggy the gays:

"Hundreds of parents and members of the community gathered at the elementary school last Friday night to discuss the book in a public forum that, at times, turned heated. A local CBS affiliate reported that extra sheriff’s deputies were on hand for security, and a local ABC affiliate said one parent was kicked out for being disruptive."

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/18/omar-currie-gay-nc-teacher-under-fire-for-reading-/

Here's how the parents who actually lived there and had their own kids subjected to this sickening depravity responded, and it wasn't kissy-huggy the gays:

"Hundreds of parents and members of the community gathered at the elementary school last Friday night to discuss the book in a public forum that, at times, turned heated. A local CBS affiliate reported that extra sheriff’s deputies were on hand for security, and a local ABC affiliate said one parent was kicked out for being disruptive."

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/18/omar-currie-gay-nc-teacher-under-fire-for-reading-/
You just don’t understand @Quix0te ... they are educators and just know better. They know what your children need more than we do.... and luckily, the Sheriffs department knows what they need ..... keep voting at the ground level and putting pressure on the school boards. Lots to gain control of still

You just don’t understand @Quix0te ... they are educators and just know better. They know what your children need more than we do.... and luckily, the Sheriffs department knows what they need ..... keep voting at the ground level and putting pressure on the school boards. Lots to gain control of still

You realize your ancestors have said this about black educators, Catholic educators, women educators.

You think this should be a national outrage?

There's so much you are hurt by . . . the only plausible explanation for that is that you must be a snowflake, Q . . . see if you can find a safe zone at a nearby university. ;)

Show me one instance where that has happened.

Um...show me where somebody showed up at a PTA with their kid and their kid's straight teacher was tongue kissing another straight in front of their family.

I'm perplexed why Quixote and Hack are so interested in who their children's teacher kisses. In all of my years of being a parent, that's one topic that really doesn't come up. We're usually more concerned with how my child's education is progressing. :rolleyes:

Who do you think you are, Hack? Do you believe that you're the arbiter of what respect for the flag is/isn't?

You're one guy, that's it. And that's as far as your influence goes, so far as I can tell. That's you, all alone in your own little box. Good luck with that . . . .
It’s cute that you haven’t ignored Hack yet

It’s cute that you haven’t ignored Hack yet

Hmmm . . . a couple or three thoughts on that . . .

First, "cute" in reference to anything "Sope Creek" is just wrong, unless you're referring to my wife or my grandchildren. I'm ugly, and getting uglier . . . uglier than even MTIOTF; that boy married UP, way up . . . .

Second, I don't have anybody on an automatic "ignore". Folks' posts either get my attention or - more often than not these days - they don't. So the ignore function has become a somewhat cultivated skill for me . . . and I like it that way because I can use that skill in a lot of places.

Regarding Hack particularly, his posts are like foul farts in an otherwise fairly reasonable environment. (Think McNutt breaking wind on the golf course - it's unpleasant, but temporary and [so far anyway] nonlethal.) Besides, making fun of him for it can be, well, fun until I get bored with it . . . then I just move on to something else.

If you look at the record, Hack lost big time last night in our little back and forth; he never was able to answer a single question posed to him. Instead he simply retreated into territory familiar to him - his "safe" zone - and at that point he lost the crowd here. Can't do any worse than that on this board, well, at least not until either NPT or Cajun - conservative posters themselves - decide enough is enough and take out their trash, which Cajun publicly did in response to a different thread or subthread (I can't remember which thread it was in).

We can scrap all we want on this board and no harm is done . . . what really distinguishes posters is the degree to which they decide whether they're entitled to be arseholes. Those that do self-select out pretty quickly. Those that don't are generally pretty welcome.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Hmmm . . . a couple or three thoughts on that . . .

First, "cute" in reference to anything "Sope Creek" is just wrong, unless you're referring to my wife or my grandchildren. I'm ugly, and getting uglier . . . uglier than even MTIOTF; that boy married UP, way up . . . .

Second, I don't have anybody on an automatic "ignore". Folks' posts either get my attention or - more often than not these days - they don't. So the ignore function has become a somewhat cultivated skill for me . . . and I like it that way because I can use that skill in a lot of places.

Regarding Hack particularly, his posts are like foul farts in an otherwise fairly reasonable environment. (Think McNutt breaking wind on the golf course - it's unpleasant, but temporary and [so far anyway] nonlethal.) Besides, making fun of him for it can be, well, fun until I get bored with it . . . then I just move on to something else.

If you look at the record, Hack lost big time last night in our little back and forth; he never was able to answer a single question posed to him. Instead he simply retreated into territory familiar to him - his "safe" zone - and at that point he lost the crowd here. Can't do any worse than that on this board, well, at least not until either NPT or Cajun - conservative posters themselves - decide enough is enough and take out their trash, which Cajun publicly did in response to a different thread or subthread (I can't remember which thread it was in).

We can scrap all we want on this board and no harm is done . . . what really distinguishes posters is the degree to which they decide whether they're entitled to be arseholes. Those that do self-select out pretty quickly. Those that don't are generally pretty welcome.

We can all be a_holes from time to time.

I just laugh at where this thread started and where it ended.

On another note, someone mentioned that we used to be able to have a nice discussion on these boards, even though we disagreed, and now we cannot. The funny thing would be to ask each side who they thought was responsible for that. We often have blind spots into the things that we say that the other side of the aisle finds insulting...and sometimes we do not.

I am not interested in getting into a back and forth about who killed civility, I doubt any of us could even really pinpoint the moment it happened...or be able to answer whether we have ever been civil. Hamilton and Burr had a stupid duel. Sumner was beaten with a cane in the Senate. We have had multiple assasinations... the list goes on and on.

On another note, someone mentioned that we used to be able to have a nice discussion on these boards, even though we disagreed, and now we cannot. The funny thing would be to ask each side who they thought was responsible for that. We often have blind spots into the things that we say that the other side of the aisle finds insulting...and sometimes we do not.

I think some of our better discussion days was due to Buzz, we played by his rules or we didn't play. I think he greatly encouraged/demanded less swoop in/out posts and more thoughtful discourse.

I was skimming through this article this morning, and I think this is part of the problem we face. I don't think we (almost all of us, myself included) do a good job at thoroughly reading and considering posts and links. I think that ups the misunderstandings:

Many readers now use an F or Z pattern when reading in which they sample the first line and then word-spot through the rest of the text. When the reading brain skims like this, it reduces time allocated to deep reading processes. In other words, we don’t have time to grasp complexity, to understand another’s feelings, to perceive beauty, and to create thoughts of the reader’s own.
I think another part of it, there are people who just love to troll. I think they've become more numerous, and yes, they exist on any side of the equation one cares to look. I think that contributes to the problem, people start to cast all liberals or all conservatives into the same boat.

I think some of our better discussion days was due to Buzz, we played by his rules or we didn't play. I think he greatly encouraged/demanded less swoop in/out posts and more thoughtful discourse.

I was skimming through this article this morning, and I think this is part of the problem we face. I don't think we (almost all of us, myself included) do a good job at thoroughly reading and considering posts and links. I think that ups the misunderstandings:

Many readers now use an F or Z pattern when reading in which they sample the first line and then word-spot through the rest of the text. When the reading brain skims like this, it reduces time allocated to deep reading processes. In other words, we don’t have time to grasp complexity, to understand another’s feelings, to perceive beauty, and to create thoughts of the reader’s own.
I think another part of it, there are people who just love to troll. I think they've become more numerous, and yes, they exist on any side of the equation one cares to look. I think that contributes to the problem, people start to cast all liberals or all conservatives into the same boat.

That is fair. Sometimes I will read one thing on here that will irritate me and I will "pay it forward" somewhere else on the board. (This relates to the trolling part of your post). I usually have a point I am trying to make either way, but based on how I am viewing board discussion, I sometimes throw in things that I know are going to hit certain nerves. Some days I am just more ornery then others I guess.

I blame the "like" button. While I haven't done a count, my impression is that fully one half of the "likes" here are made to posts about other posters. The libs "like" insults delivered to conservative posters and the conservatives "like" insults delivered to liberal posters. I will personally take credit for many of the liberal likes here. Whenever a liberal posts about yours truly, it will bring a flurry of predictable likes from the rangerfishgoathoopshoootchlowriderzizkov constituency of the board.

What's worse is that some posters are starting to comment on likes seen to other posts. Those comments are a fortiori about other posters, never about issues.

This is a round-about way of saying that the board has deteriorated mostly because we post about posters instead of about issues.

Of course there are other reasons too.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
I blame the "like" button. While I haven't done a count, my impression is that fully one half of the "likes" here are made to posts about other posters. The libs "like" insults delivered to conservative posters and the conservatives "like" insults delivered to liberal posters. I will personally take credit for many of the liberal likes here. Whenever a liberal posts about yours truly, it will bring a flurry of predictable likes from the rangerfishgoathoopshoootchlowriderzizkov constituency of the board.

What's worse is that some posters are starting to comment on likes seen to other posts. Those comments are a fortiori about other posters, never about issues.

This is a round-about way of saying that the board has deteriorated mostly because we post about posters instead of about issues.

You suck.

(Trying to boost my like count.)

:D:p

I like the "like" response in respect to others while not trying to accumulate any for myself. I 'like' some of my own posts but not too many of them.

I am generous with 'likes' when someone posts something which I wish I had written, or those with which I disagree but appreciate the politically correct manner in which they are presented.

Any post with the words "piece of shit" or similar language immediately makes me wonder about the mental state and/or sobriety of the poster. Would the poster say something like that in a face to face situation?.. Probably not,. or on second thought, quite possibly.

We can all be a_holes from time to time.

I just laugh at where this thread started and where it ended.

I am not interested in getting into a back and forth about who killed civility, I doubt any of us could even really pinpoint the moment it happened...or be able to answer whether we have ever been civil. Hamilton and Burr had a stupid duel. Sumner was beaten with a cane in the Senate. We have had multiple assasinations... the list goes on and on.
I don't think the blame lies on trolls like Hack. The blame lies on posters who used to be drivers of serious discourse, but who have now given up and transformed themselves into nothing more than trolls with better brands.

That's probably not fair to them - after all, why should they be blamed for giving up on the effort that other posters never exerted in the first place? - but I think it's still accurate. This forum depended on the quality posters outnumbering the trolls, and the number of quality posters who have become trolls is just large enough to tip the balance in the wrong direction.

I never automatically Like a post based on the poster. I Like a post based on its merits. If sometimes a post’s merit is that it’s calling you out on your tendencies of claiming you invented the question mark and calling facts out as non-facts, then I find that post to be likable when it is true. You are a continued source of disappoint to me - mostly because you’re obviously intelligent but you swallow the #NewGOP talking points wholeheartedly. From your perch in Colorado you know that Brennan is a political hack. You know that he’s a terrible intelligence officer. You know about security clearances and why they should be weaponized. Except you don’t know any of this - and when you’re called on that - I like it.

Reactions: sglowrider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT