ADVERTISEMENT

Des Moines Register: Biden and Sanders...and everyone else

Surprised Amy was that low. She isn't terribly outspoken and thus, less well-known nationally compared to other names, but Iowa is so close to the TC.

Surprised Amy was that low. She isn't terribly outspoken and thus, less well-known nationally compared to other names, but Iowa is so close to the TC.
I don't know much about the Des Moines Register, but their polls are supposedly some of the best, so I assume they have their methodology down to a science when it comes to trying to capture the caucus-going population. That said, you've got two big constitutencies in the caucuses: Democrat loyalists and activists. So there's your Biden and Sanders, and Klobuchar simply gets crowded out, not because she's unknown or unpopular, but because there's just not enough room.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
I don't know much about the Des Moines Register, but their polls are supposedly some of the best, so I assume they have their methodology down to a science when it comes to trying to capture the caucus-going population. That said, you've got two big constitutencies in the caucuses: Democrat loyalists and activists. So there's your Biden and Sanders, and Klobuchar simply gets crowded out, not because she's unknown or unpopular, but because there's just not enough room.

Is there evidence that this type of gap can be overcome? Has to be a momentum killer for many of those outside the top two

Is there evidence that this type of gap can be overcome? Has to be a momentum killer for many of those outside the top two
I don't know. I feel like you don't need to be top two in Iowa to be serious, though. If Biden and Sanders remain the two front-runners, whoever ends up in third will have a strong position. Obviously, NH won't mean much, but then you go South, and California is early now, too. Imagine if Harris finishes third in Iowa? That could basically be first place, from her point of view.

The actual voting is a year away. Current polls mostly reflect name ID. I don't think we have any idea who will win the Iowa caucuses in February 2020.

Yes, but early polls have a considerable impact on momentum and fundraising, no? If you get behind early, you have virtually little chance I would imagine.

Think I 'll move to Iowa as the folks there must like old guys.

Think I 'll move to Iowa as the folks there must like old guys.

I'd imagine they mostly are old guys (and gals) in Iowa, so it makes sense. I can count on one hand the number of people that have moved from Chicago or Minneapolis to Iowa, but there are hundreds going the other direction.

I'd imagine they mostly are old guys (and gals) in Iowa, so it makes sense. I can count on one hand the number of people that have moved from Chicago or Minneapolis to Iowa, but there are hundreds going the other direction.

Have a 23 year old grand niece from Chicago who went to the University of Iowa and now works for 3M in Minneapolis.

Guess she pretty much proves your point.

Have a 23 year old grand niece from Chicago who went to the University of Iowa and now works for 3M in Minneapolis.

Guess she pretty much proves your point.

Huge Iowa and Iowa state presence in each metro

Anyone see Buttigieg Town Hall? According to Twittersphere he was very impressive. I doubt that many people actually watch these, but interested in feedback. I didn’t see it.

Reactions: dahldc
Anyone see Buttigieg Town Hall? According to Twittersphere he was very impressive. I doubt that many people actually watch these, but interested in feedback. I didn’t see it.

I watched it last night, but someone put a video of 3/4ths of it up on Youtube.

Buttigieg was really, really good in this format.

About the only thing you could criticize him for is he doesn't have all his platform details fully sketched out yet.

Last edited:
I watched it last night, but someone put a video of 3/4ths of it up on Youtube.

Buttigieg was really, really good in this format.

About the only thing you could criticize him for is he doesn't have all his platform details fully sketched out yet.

Thanks! I made my first contribution of $3 to his campaign in order to help get him to at least debates.

He was phenomenal! Would totally be my choice...except I know he has no shot. But would love to see him in the race and get to the debates and at least get a lot of national name recognition. Definitely think he will be a future super star.

He was phenomenal! Would totally be my choice...except I know he has no shot. But would love to see him in the race and get to the debates and at least get a lot of national name recognition. Definitely think he will be a future super star.

Could be a great VP candidate. When Biden became BO’s running mate, it was clear to me after watching him in person that his end game was to be #2.

The dems are pretty loaded this time around. There’s a lot of good options/combinations.

I didn't see this, but I saw and heard him several times a few weeks back during his "book tour". He's quite impressive. He needs to figure out how to get some experience on a larger stage before he can be considered a viable candidate, though. He sure as hell isn't going to make the House or the Senate or the Governor's mansion from Indiana, though, so he's got a tough row to hoe.

I didn't see this, but I saw and heard him several times a few weeks back during his "book tour". He's quite impressive. He needs to figure out how to get some experience on a larger stage before he can be considered a viable candidate, though. He sure as hell isn't going to make the House or the Senate or the Governor's mansion from Indiana, though, so he's got a tough row to hoe.

He's young enough to where he can get a cabinet position and either Indiana becomes more winnable after he's done or "My husband and I fell in love with Maryland/Virginia" and runs in one of those states for Governor/Senator in 2024/2028.

Reactions: UncleMark
He's young enough to where he can get a cabinet position and either Indiana becomes more winnable after he's done or "My husband and I fell in love with Maryland/Virginia" and runs in one of those states for Governor/Senator in 2024/2028.
Yeah, I'm thinking he could maybe get the HUD job or something related to get him some time in DC, then go for an elected Federal position.

How is his name pronounced? Is it butt-e-geeg?

Reactions: MrBing
Cap is right. That was one of the funny exchanges on the town hall last night.
OK, boot-edge-edge it is. That’s a weird name. I did hear him talk by chance a few minutes on the radio and he’s articulate for sure.

With a name like boot-edge-edge, he better be impressive. ;)

Mayor Pete impressed this guy:

Rush Limbaugh:

RUSH: I watched CNN. They had two hours of town halls, I guess, with presidential candidates. One of them was Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii, and the other one was this mayor of South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg. Keep a sharp eye out for Mayor Pete. Keep an eye on this guy. He is gonna make mincemeat of all the rest of these people.

APP-031219-Mayor-Pete.jpg

When his comes to face these people in debate, if he gets that far, keep an eye on Mayor Pete of South Bend. It’s all I’m gonna say. This guy was articulate for what he believes. He was personable. He had an answer for everything. There was no, “And, y’know, I… Like, uhhhh,” and there was no radicalism. Some things that he believes about Trump are typically crazy, but keep an eye out for Mayor Pete. He’s 37. Keep an eye find out for Mayor Pete.
A ringing endorsement or the kiss of death? Either way, I'll "keep an eye out" for Mayor Pete.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT