ADVERTISEMENT

(Hawkeye Iowa) Wouldn't you like to give Iowa a try?

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
Aside from pinned threads, like Music, movies books tv, and good things I (personally) consider this board primarily as a political discussion forum. I'm sure some feel differently and that's fine... But I'm obviously more engaged in the political minutia than a lot of othres. So when I didn't see a thread on the first night of actual voting in the 2024 Campaign, I figured I'd start one. Esp because there seem to be two seperate, competing visions of what roughly 130,000 or so Iowans voting last night tells us...

It also presented me with the oppty to quote a line from one of my favorite musicals, although it may be an obscure reference for some,if not all. I actually had a role in the chorus for the Starlight Musicals production of this show when I was in 7th or 8th grade, and it has a few Hoosier ties sprinkled thruout.So I thought I'd try and be clever and use that line to introduce my thread on the Iowa caucus results and the competing views (Trump/Biden) of what they show...

First off some basic stats... Less than 130,000 voters, which is below the 150,000 or so who voted in 2016. A very conservative electorate in what's become a ruby red state. Top issues like Immigration, economy, abortion... With 60^ favoring a National abortion ban, I think it's safe to say that Iowa is much more conservative than the nation as a whole.

The point is that this is a hardcore, evangelical right wing base in Iowa... When the race was called at 4% of the vote in, Donald Trump was at the 58% mark. The latest figures I saw (99%) had him at 51%, so roughly half of the base that voted last night...A sweeeping victory and smooth sailing for Trump to the nomination and beyond, except nearly 50% of these Iowa voters turned out in the cold to vote for someone other than Trump. Of course many of them will consolidate behind Trump when he faces Biden...

Except a couple of interesting points in intro and exit polling, which is being ignored by pro-Trump politicos and amplified by anti-Trump analysts. Now keep in mind these are Iowa GOP primary voters being asked these questions. Not surprisingly 64% of those voters answered yes to the question of "Is Trump fit to be POTUS if convicted"? But that means nearly a third of IOwa GOP voters said No (31%). A poll of likely GOP Caucusgoers by the Des Moines Register found that in a Trump Biden race 71% said they would vote for Trump, but 11% of likely GOP caucus voters said they would vote for Biden.

As BTC points out in one of the linked anti-Trump videos, those are potentially catastrophic numbers in an election where the margins are so tight. And back to Iowa responses, only 50% of the voters in Iowa said they considered themselves "MAGA" and nearly 7-10 self identified Haley voters said they would not support Trump if he's the nominee...

So with that in mind the linked videos demonstrating competing analysis of Iowa results...First the pro-Trump...

Now what strikes me is not a single one of those videos addresses any of the facts I listed above regarding the (hearty) portion of the Iowa GOP electorate. For example does OReilly's point about MAGA voters wanting an "avenger" have much relevance when only 50% of the voters in a deeply red state like Iowa self-identify as MAGA? And with Trump heading to NYC today to face EJ Carroll in a 2nd defamation trial where he has already been previously found liable for "sexual assault", how does that further erode his support among the 31% who said a criminal conviction makes him unqualified to be POTUS?

So here are a couple of pro-Dem videos providing analysis which (may) over amplify those points. Curious what anyone who watches both sets of videos thinks? And also if anyone knows the musical I referenced above?...

Aside from pinned threads, like Music, movies books tv, and good things I (personally) consider this board primarily as a political discussion forum. I'm sure some feel differently and that's fine... But I'm obviously more engaged in the political minutia than a lot of othres. So when I didn't see a thread on the first night of actual voting in the 2024 Campaign, I figured I'd start one. Esp because there seem to be two seperate, competing visions of what roughly 130,000 or so Iowans voting last night tells us...

It also presented me with the oppty to quote a line from one of my favorite musicals, although it may be an obscure reference for some,if not all. I actually had a role in the chorus for the Starlight Musicals production of this show when I was in 7th or 8th grade, and it has a few Hoosier ties sprinkled thruout.So I thought I'd try and be clever and use that line to introduce my thread on the Iowa caucus results and the competing views (Trump/Biden) of what they show...

First off some basic stats... Less than 130,000 voters, which is below the 150,000 or so who voted in 2016. A very conservative electorate in what's become a ruby red state. Top issues like Immigration, economy, abortion... With 60^ favoring a National abortion ban, I think it's safe to say that Iowa is much more conservative than the nation as a whole.

The point is that this is a hardcore, evangelical right wing base in Iowa... When the race was called at 4% of the vote in, Donald Trump was at the 58% mark. The latest figures I saw (99%) had him at 51%, so roughly half of the base that voted last night...A sweeeping victory and smooth sailing for Trump to the nomination and beyond, except nearly 50% of these Iowa voters turned out in the cold to vote for someone other than Trump. Of course many of them will consolidate behind Trump when he faces Biden...

Except a couple of interesting points in intro and exit polling, which is being ignored by pro-Trump politicos and amplified by anti-Trump analysts. Now keep in mind these are Iowa GOP primary voters being asked these questions. Not surprisingly 64% of those voters answered yes to the question of "Is Trump fit to be POTUS if convicted"? But that means nearly a third of IOwa GOP voters said No (31%). A poll of likely GOP Caucusgoers by the Des Moines Register found that in a Trump Biden race 71% said they would vote for Trump, but 11% of likely GOP caucus voters said they would vote for Biden.

As BTC points out in one of the linked anti-Trump videos, those are potentially catastrophic numbers in an election where the margins are so tight. And back to Iowa responses, only 50% of the voters in Iowa said they considered themselves "MAGA" and nearly 7-10 self identified Haley voters said they would not support Trump if he's the nominee...

So with that in mind the linked videos demonstrating competing analysis of Iowa results...First the pro-Trump...

Now what strikes me is not a single one of those videos addresses any of the facts I listed above regarding the (hearty) portion of the Iowa GOP electorate. For example does OReilly's point about MAGA voters wanting an "avenger" have much relevance when only 50% of the voters in a deeply red state like Iowa self-identify as MAGA? And with Trump heading to NYC today to face EJ Carroll in a 2nd defamation trial where he has already been previously found liable for "sexual assault", how does that further erode his support among the 31% who said a criminal conviction makes him unqualified to be POTUS?

So here are a couple of pro-Dem videos providing analysis which (may) over amplify those points. Curious what anyone who watches both sets of videos thinks? And also if anyone knows the musical I referenced above?...

Trump losing Iowa is a possibility, given the 2020 numbers and what has transpired since.

What musical is it?

Reactions: Sope Creek
I played Harold Hill. It was really karaoke because I knew every word in every song having seen the Music Man many times and wearing out a LP. 10% Republicans voting other is disaster for the GOP. Looks like I will be casting another protest vote for the Libertarians.
Till there was you is a classic

I played Harold Hill. It was really karaoke because I knew every word in every song having seen the Music Man many times and wearing out a LP. 10% Republicans voting other is disaster for the GOP. Looks like I will be casting another protest vote for the Libertarians.
Michael Rectenwald is a great choice. Good on you.

We had the one and only Forrest Tucker filling the role. I took a polaroid shot of him when I went to his dressing room to get him to autograph my program. There he is in boxer shorts, drink in his hand (of course) standing in a room that consists mainly of shelves full of bottles of booze

I remember one night he was so drunk that during one of the crowd scenes he broke character and pointed up at a passing airplane. The kid who played Arliss (Stuart Getz) was an actual SAG member with management. He has subsequently appeared in a couple of C level movies, most notably something called The Van.

It was a fun experience and I have great memories. But I experienced some disillusionment that has always struck in my craw.

The show ran nightly from Sun to Sat with a different show starting each Sunday.. A bunch of my relatives drove from Tenn to see the Sat night show, and since it was outdoors the weather was a factor. They had us rush thru the 1st half in order to get to intermission, because once that happened they no longer had to refund the ticket price to audience members.

The 2nd half got rained out and since that was Sat night (the final show) it meant my relatives drove all the way from TN and only got to see the first half of the show...I was only in junior high, but I felt like it exposed me to an ugly aspect of show business that I found distasteful...

Reactions: BradStevens
Trump losing Iowa is a possibility, given the 2020 numbers and what has transpired since.

What musical is it?
I completely disagree, Trump losing Iowa is NOT a possibility and is not even a consideration... The point of analyzing the Iowa results is what they say about the numbers among GOP voters in battleground states where the margins are razor thin and the electorate is far less loyal to Trump.

Think of it this way, last night's Iowa numbers included 60% calling for a nationwide abortion plan. That is not remotely the case with the GOP electorate in states like PA,MI,WI or even AZ. If 30% of the turnout of GOP voters in a state like Iowa said that a criminal conviction would make Trump unqualified to be POTUS, think about the level of GOP voters in far less red states that likely feel the same way...

And while some upcoming primaries may start to reflect an increase in that number, not every state holds a primary. So it's extremely likely that there will be a hidden current of "GOP" voters who feel Trump is unqualified who suddenly appear out of nowhere when Nov 2024 rolls around.Not to mention the significant number of Haley supporters that told exit pollsters last night that in a contest between Trump/Biden they'd support Biden.

And that's before Trump has been convicted of any of the counts against him, which imho appears to be a likely outcome...I don't think it's enough of an issue to deny Trump the nomination. But for a guy who lost by 7 Million votes previously and desperately needs to widen his base of support, the Iowa numbers seem to give a pretty good indication that the exact opposite is what's happening...

Reactions: UncleMark
I completely disagree, Trump losing Iowa is NOT a possibility and is not even a consideration... The point of analyzing the Iowa results is what they say about the numbers among GOP voters in battleground states where the margins are razor thin and the electorate is far less loyal to Trump.

Think of it this way, last night's Iowa numbers included 60% calling for a nationwide abortion plan. That is not remotely the case with the GOP electorate in states like PA,MI,WI or even AZ. If 30% of the turnout of GOP voters in a state like Iowa said that a criminal conviction would make Trump unqualified to be POTUS, think about the level of GOP voters in far less red states that likely feel the same way...

And while some upcoming primaries may start to reflect an increase in that number, not every state holds a primary. So it's extremely likely that there will be a hidden current of "GOP" voters who feel Trump is unqualified who suddenly appear out of nowhere when Nov 2024 rolls around.Not to mention the significant number of Haley supporters that told exit pollsters last night that in a contest between Trump/Biden they'd support Biden.

And that's before Trump has been convicted of any of the counts against him, which imho appears to be a likely outcome...I don't think it's enough of an issue to deny Trump the nomination. But for a guy who lost by 7 Million votes previously and desperately needs to widen his base of support, the Iowa numbers seem to give a pretty good indication that the exact opposite is what's happening...
Iowa was considered a toss up 4 years ago. Trump won with 53%. I can see that changing. I’m not saying it’s more likely than not, but it’s a possibility.

Btw can we dispense with the notion that MAGA cares anything about "election integrity", except as a phoney political talking point?

Iowa the state where 62% believe that Biden won the election by cheating (in places like Detroit,Philly,Atlanta).

So the theory is that people in inner cities cheat, apparently because that's what those folks do...

But not Iowa. Iowa maintains "voter integrity" by allowing random farmers and others to write a name in pen/pencil on various sizes of scraps of paper and then toss those same scraps of paper in chicken buckets and paper bags and label them ballots.

Where's Dinesh D'Souza (and his mule team) when you need them?...

Too many whites.
I was actually thinking more about her ad where she bragged about castrating pigs and promised to slice the Federal budget and overthrow Obamacare...

Since none of that happened, even though she was elected in 2014 and served under Trump, I'm not sure what "good" she ever accomplished. That along with her views on guns and women's choice kinda suggests to me that Iowa doesn't mind eleccing losers, and then repeating the process...

I was actually thinking more about her ad where she bragged about castrating pigs and promised to slice the Federal budget and overthrow Obamacare...

Since none of that happened, even though she was elected in 2014 and served under Trump, I'm not sure what "good" she ever accomplished. That along with her views on guns and women's choice kinda suggests to me that Iowa doesn't mind eleccing losers, and then repeating the process...
Iowa is the #1 pork producer in the country, more than the next 3 states combined. Could that not explain the content of her ad?

A politician not following through on campaign promises you say? Have you tried calling the authorities?

Iowa is the #1 pork producer in the country, more than the next 3 states combined. Could that not explain the content of her ad?

A politician not following through on campaign promises you say? Have you tried calling the authorities?
I don't care that she didn't follow thru on her promises, since they aren't positions I favor. I was pointing out that the people of Iowa re-elected her despite her totally failing to deliver on her promises. I think that shows stupidity...

Little Joe from Kokomo- The Music Man provided much lexicon to us craps players!

Reactions: Rockport Zebra
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT