ADVERTISEMENT

Des Moines Register: Biden and Sanders...and everyone else

Are you sure you’re not talking about the current President and his VP?

giphy.gif

Think I said that. By current, I meant replace Trump with Biden, both old, white, racist creeps.
What makes you think Biden is racist? Or a creep, for that matter? He’s pretty popular on both sides of the aisle.

What makes you think Biden is racist? Or a creep, for that matter? He’s pretty popular on both sides of the aisle.

You don’t remember? Biden said Obama was articulate, or something. The pinnacle of racist remarks. Way worse than the republican party leader saying the funny-named black guy wasn’t born here.

Dude, seriously, that Biden comment is drug out by republicans almost every time race comes up around here

I watched it last night, but someone put a video of 3/4ths of it up on Youtube.

Buttigieg was really, really good in this format.

About the only thing you could criticize him for is he doesn't have all his platform details fully sketched out yet.

He needs to be in government. Not necessarily as President, but clearly a brilliant guy who could mature into a great statesman. I think his priorities, like most leftists', are out of kilter. He is articulate in stating them at least, which makes them much more palatable to a rube like me.

Remarks about Obama, Indians and 7-11, against bussing/desegregation. The latter was 40+ years ago, but as Kavanaugh taught us, time is no excuse.

As for creepy, just Google it. Ash Carter probably didn't like the unwelcome touching. I'm sure the parents didn't appreciate the affection he was showing the daughters during the swearing in ceremony.

Point is, I think the Dems could find a better choice than someone who, to an extent, mirrors Trump.

Remarks about Obama, Indians and 7-11, against bussing/desegregation. The latter was 40+ years ago, but as Kavanaugh taught us, time is no excuse.

As for creepy, just Google it. Ash Carter probably didn't like the unwelcome touching. I'm sure the parents didn't appreciate the affection he was showing the daughters during the swearing in ceremony.

Point is, I think the Dems could find a better choice than someone who, to an extent, mirrors Trump.
I don’t think you can find a single person who honestly think Biden is a racist. And Biden mirroring Trump? Please . Trump isn’t worthy of Joe Biden’s pinkie.

I don’t think you can find a single person who honestly think Biden is a racist. And Biden mirroring Trump? Please . Trump isn’t worthy of Joe Biden’s pinkie.

Ummm..ok. Just good ole Joe being Joe! Ha! Look at him now...plagarizing! Now, he's making fun of Indians! Oh, that Joe. Just a silly goofball. Articulate black guy! Oh Joe, he's not racist, just bad choice of words.

Dems are as bad as Trump lovers excusing bad behavior. They did it for Bill, then Hillary, Robert Byrd and more. Repubs do it to for years.

Both parties are pieces of crap, imo.

The actual voting is a year away. Current polls mostly reflect name ID. I don't think we have any idea who will win the Iowa caucuses in February 2020.
Nate Silver says my my take was too strong: Biden and Sanders have more than just name ID. I can't dispute what Nate says, but I remain skeptical that we really have any idea what will happen in a year.

Nate Silver says my my take was too strong: Biden and Sanders have more than just name ID. I can't dispute what Nate says, but I remain skeptical that we really have any idea what will happen in a year.
Just throwing shit against the wall here to see if any of it sticks:

Maybe Biden and Sanders are the lead horses because they most encapsulate the two wings of regret in the Democratic party. On one end, you have the Obamaites who think Hillary dropped the opportunity to sustain and enhance the Obama legacy. On the other hand, you have the Sandersistas who think it's time for the party to move in a new direction. They represent more than themselves; they are the focal points of the two largest constituencies in the party.

I have not paid attention to the presidential race. Is it already that time?
At the rate AOC is attracting the attention of the Pubs, I thought she would be one of the favored candidates, but I don't see her name in the mix! ;)

On one end, you have the Obamaites who think Hillary dropped the opportunity to sustain and enhance the Obama legacy.
No matter how they tried to spin it, Obama and Clinton were light years apart in their appeal, their similarities in policy notwithstanding. Take their slogans:

"Hope and Change"
vs.
"I'm With Her"

One exudes anticipatory excitement, the other entitlement.

No matter how they tried to spin it, Obama and Clinton were light years apart in their appeal, their similarities in policy notwithstanding. Take their slogans:

"Hope and Change"
vs.
"I'm With Her"

One exudes anticipatory excitement, the other entitlement.
Oh, there's no doubt that Obama was ten times the politician Hillary was. But I'm just suggesting that the Obama wing of the party might coalesce around Biden because he seems like the most obvious candidate to succeed where Hillary failed. Alternatively, the other major wing of the party wants to move past Obama, even feels like his presidency was disappointing, and that wing is coalescing around Bernie.

Oh, there's no doubt that Obama was ten times the politician Hillary was. But I'm just suggesting that the Obama wing of the party might coalesce around Biden because he seems like the most obvious candidate to succeed where Hillary failed. Alternatively, the other major wing of the party wants to move past Obama, even feels like his presidency was disappointing, and that wing is coalescing around Bernie.
No argument from me on that.

I'd have to go with Biden, not so much on the "electability" question as much as on the question of effective governance once elected. Neither Uncle Joe or Bernie is known for his legislative prowess, but I'd have to believe Biden would have a better shot of pushing an agenda through than would Sanders.

Ultimately, I think that Bernie might be a too flawed candidate for the more liberal wing to generate broader momentum around, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that wing turn to a different candidate without some of those flaws. I could see a Kamala Harris or Beto taking over that territory.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT