ADVERTISEMENT

"Chinese Virus" explained

Didn't Ford just announce that they switched to ventilator production? I don't disagree with the response and point though.
Are you saying they are not producing ventilators or they are the process? Are they going to produce 24/7, when will the first one come off the line? NYC needs them now!

I just heard some of Gov Cuomo's conference. He made some great points. 1) in war we didn't wait around on companies to call and say 'we can build a battleship' and 'we can build some planes'.

The second point is better. He needs ventilators and he needs them now. So do several other states. There is a huge startup cost to switching production lines to ventilators. Companies aren't going to do it unless they know they can sell enough to make a profit. Let's say they need to sell 100,00 units. NY contracts with company A for 30,000, California with company B for 40,000, Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois to company C for 20,000. Several other states go to company D for 30,000. No one has hit the magical 100,000 mark to make the move to ventilators. Only the feds can guarantee the magic number with the necessary up front costs.
Exactly. This should be one of the main focuses of any legislation the Congress does right now. That’s just plain obvious. We’re talking no brainer universe. Trump is calling himself the war president. OK well mobilize dude.

Listen, ranger, I happen to think you are a good poster, I happen to think Zeke is a good poster. If she bullshit on you, I’d take her to task. You bullshit on her, I took you to task. I happen to think sglorider is a good poster. I think his personal experience is interesting and something to be listened to, not bullshat on. I understand you have a cynical point of view here, fine, no problems there. But be real. His experience has value. A lot more value than most of the bullshit in the media, from politicians and from many stupid opinions on this board. Experience is real. That’s all.
You lost the right to speak with me when you accused me of using yellow face. You can **** right off.

Nobody should be harassing Asian people over this. However, labeling it as a "Chinese" virus is a brush back against Communist Party propaganda emanating from China who has claimed that the virus was a U.S. bio attack and more recently that the disease started in Italy.

China was the origination point for the virus, they attempted to cover up the fact that they had an issue by silencing their own medical professionals, and they lied about what was going on allowing the virus to spread for weeks with no intervention.

Calling it the "China Virus" keeps the Chinese Government from being able to shirk their way out of responsibility for the disease.

Some people can be ass holes, that is how it has always been. However, I do not believe a few cases of people acting like ass holes should detract from the larger point to be made. China is a bad actor on the world stage on multiple levels.

What F#@*ing good does that do for ANYONE?! How, exactly does it make the Chinese government do anything? It only affects Asian Americans, whether Chinese or not (you think knuckle-dragging MAGAtards can tell Chinese from Korean or Filipino or Japanese or Vietnamese or Thai or Laotian...etc?) Trust me: If it was YOUR family being glared at (fortunately that's all, SO FAR for mine) in the grocery store you'd feel differently.

If you feel compelled to name it based on blame, name it after the person most responsible for it's spread through THIS country. Name it after the guy who tried to cover it up HERE. Name it on the multiple-level bad actor on both the world and national stage. Call it the "Trump Virus".

Are you saying they are not producing ventilators or they are the process? Are they going to produce 24/7, when will the first one come off the line? NYC needs them now!

What does google say? I don’t know and don’t disagree

You lost the right to speak with me when you accused me of using yellow face. You can **** right off.
Lol. Methinks you misunderstood, not your fault, because my post is ambiguous. What I meant is, when was the last time you experienced the world as an Asian? Rhetorical question, of course. I later realized it could be interpreted as accusing you of being racist. Whatever. That context doesn’t fit anyway.

In any case, I’m not apologizing for anything. I gave you a civil response. On you how you take it. You jump to conclusions and react. To Zeke, to sglo, to me. Rock on, guy. Your vote is your vote. Your conscience, your life.

Both things can be true. The Chinese government should be called out for their handling of the pandemic. They tried to hide evidence and likely aided in the spread. Frankly, I find their current numbers suspect.

This Administration and the far right calling it the Chinese Virus is a dog whistle. They coined the name specifically because the nationalist/xenophobic beliefs of the Trump base.

Both things can be true. The Chinese government should be called out for their handling of the pandemic. They tried to hide evidence and likely aided in the spread. Frankly, I find their current numbers suspect.

This Administration and the far right calling it the Chinese Virus is a dog whistle. They coined the name specifically because the nationalist/xenophobic beliefs of the Trump base.
Plus Trump is known as a name caller. So he can’t get away with it as an exception to the rule. Ad hominem is his rule. Rocketman. Little Marco. Lyin Ted. And so on. Trump has no credibility.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
At the president. But that also doesn't mean he personally did it. Pearl was bombed when FDR was president, that doesn't mean FDR was responsible for Pearl.

there are tough questions for our entire government. Why haven't we been stockpiling PPE since 2007, that is on a whole lot of people in the government. I am on full record that Trump's rhetoric didn't match Fauci's, that needs looked into to see what damage it may have done (we don't want future president's saying everything is under control when having them go about their normal lives is NOT what we want). What did we try to get cooperation from China, could something else have worked? We have a lot to dig into to see how we could have responded better. I don't care who the president is, we could have responded better. I don't know that a perfect response is even possible.
I know this is a gross oversimplification - and it lends itself to platitude-y, memes - but you'd think a country that stockpiles nuclear weapons at a rate that could annihilate the planet 30X over, could also stockpile ventilators and masks needed in this entirely predictable pandemic.

Reactions: Morrison
I know this is a gross oversimplification - and it lends itself to platitude-y, memes - but you'd think a country that stockpiles nuclear weapons at a rate that could annihilate the planet 30X over, could also stockpile ventilators and masks needed in this entirely predictable pandemic.

I am in complete agreement. And in that regard I'll gladly criticize Obama and Trump and Pelosi and McConnell and a legion of others. The cost of storing this crap can't be that expensive. The question asked should have been, "what do we need if the Spanish Flu returns" and have it sitting in warehouses across the country.

What F#@*ing good does that do for ANYONE?! How, exactly does it make the Chinese government do anything? It only affects Asian Americans, whether Chinese or not (you think knuckle-dragging MAGAtards can tell Chinese from Korean or Filipino or Japanese or Vietnamese or Thai or Laotian...etc?) Trust me: If it was YOUR family being glared at (fortunately that's all, SO FAR for mine) in the grocery store you'd feel differently.

If you feel compelled to name it based on blame, name it after the person most responsible for it's spread through THIS country. Name it after the guy who tried to cover it up HERE. Name it on the multiple-level bad actor on both the world and national stage. Call it the "Trump Virus".

A virus is spreading across the world, its spread was enabled by a government that hid information from the world. That government has blamed US soldiers and now Italians for starting the virus and pushing its spread.

You may not think that matters, but it absolutely does. If China cannot even admit their culpability in the conditions that created and helped spread this virus, then history can more easily repeat itself.

Additionally, they were telling their 1 billion plus citizens that the US basically bio attacked them.

Not going to entertain you guys on your TDS anymore. You will have to have that discussion with someone else.

Reactions: 76-1

And the Spanish Flu was a horrible dog whistle against Spain. You guys find racism in Every. ****ing. Thing. It is tedious as hell.

And the Spanish Flu was a horrible dog whistle against Spain. You guys find racism in Every. ****ing. Thing. It is tedious as hell.

I didn’t use the racist moniker here and I’d challenge you to find posts where I am driving that bus.

Back to my point. I honestly don’t care what they call it. It’s a virus. That’s it. But some do really really care. They don’t like foreigners. They don’t like things they don’t know or understand. Trump and right wing media know that and they know that is their audience. They are playing to those people. It’s pretty transparent. Do you disagree?

Last edited:
W
What happens if the next pandemic is flesh-eating, or causes kidney failure, or attacks the central nervous system? Yes, it would have been nice to have 250,000 ventilators sitting in a warehouse somewhere, but I am not sure of the practicality of it.

A virus is spreading across the world, its spread was enabled by a government that hid information from the world. That government has blamed US soldiers and now Italians for starting the virus and pushing its spread.

You may not think that matters, but it absolutely does. If China cannot even admit their culpability in the conditions that created and helped spread this virus, then history can more easily repeat itself.

Additionally, they were telling their 1 billion plus citizens that the US basically bio attacked them.

Not going to entertain you guys on your TDS anymore. You will have to have that discussion with someone else.

I saw WeChat discussions out of Wuhan in January. People there had a pretty good sense of the source of the virus. I also had to calm a Chinese colleague here last week who was worried that Trump's reference to Chinese Virus was going to feed more backlash.

And China has banned the consumption of wild animals. I think they acknowledge where this came from.

For what it's worth, the Chinese government isn't the root cause of this, though their actions likely exacerbated things in this particular case. This isn't a uniquely Chinese problem though.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that another, more severe virus develops from the international bushmeat trades.

And how many people are up in arms about the fact that we'll likely see an antibiotic-resistant strain of the flu pop up in our lifetimes? US government officials at every level know this is a very legitimate concern, yet we still blindly subsidize antibiotic treatments for animals in factory farms.

Globally, animal agriculture is something that needs to be very seriously looked at.

Reactions: bawlmer
W
What happens if the next pandemic is flesh-eating, or causes kidney failure, or attacks the central nervous system? Yes, it would have been nice to have 250,000 ventilators sitting in a warehouse somewhere, but I am not sure of the practicality of it.
Bracketing this in with my original comparison, I'm not sure your practicality argument carries much water. After the first few nuclear warheads explode, I'm not sure what how practical the other untold number of them are.

And besides, I'm guessing that the cost of creating and stockpiling these things is essentially a rounding error in our national budget.

For what it's worth, the Chinese government isn't the root cause of this, though their actions likely exacerbated things in this particular case. This isn't a uniquely Chinese problem though.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that another, more severe virus develops from the international bushmeat trades.

And how many people are up in arms about the fact that we'll likely see an antibiotic-resistant strain of the flu pop up in our lifetimes? US government officials at every level know this is a very legitimate concern, yet we still blindly subsidize antibiotic treatments for animals in factory farms.

Globally, animal agriculture is something that needs to be very seriously looked at.
You do not treat influenza with antibiotics.
Good grief

W
Yes Jim, but what I would like know, what is the self life of ventilators? Should they be stored in a climate controlled building? Do they have an expiration date?

I didn’t use the racist moniker here and I’d challenge you to find posts where I am driving that bus.

Back to my point. I honestly don’t care what they call it. It’s a virus. That’s it. But some do really really care. They don’t like foreigners. They don’t like things they don’t know or understand. Trump and right wing media know that and they know that is their audience. They are playing to those people. It’s pretty transparent. Do you disagree?

Yes, I disagree.

I bet you don’t go to Mexican restaurants either:rolleyes:

Now do Trump.

Start with the hoax quote.

This is a conservative blog, but it takes the racist argument and, since this person is a better writer than I am, clearly explains what my position is.

U looked through it, how does "China virus" really push back? We still have people that believe the moon landing was a hoax and 911 was an inside job. Are we suggesting "China virus" will make those kind of conspiracy theorists change their mind on things like this?

Zoonotic diseases - or their causes - aren't exclusive to one region or country. They're entirely preventable, but it'll take a hard look at what needs changed.
So that they have mostly originated from poorly regulated countries is only coincidence? I’m granting you that it may be coincidence, but better regulations would’ve prevented these wildlife markets.

Fine. Serious people in this country and the rest of world refer to the virus as Covid 19 or Coronavirus. No one outside the MAGA orbit calls it the Chinese Virus. That’s pretty telling.
Well technically the virus is SARS-COV-2.

COVID-19 is the disease

Reactions: T.M.P. and Cortez88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT