ADVERTISEMENT

WaPo: Record Number of Americans Quit their Jobs in August

I don’t know about cultured, but this supply chain disruption has hit home for me. I’m addicted to those little cans of Starbucks Double Espresso and Cream. Can’t find one anywhere in NorCal. Shit is serious. You may see me on the news soon.😂

SBUX has been in a rotating cycle of product shortages... luckily as soon as I'm about to upgrade to some no name hipster spot, my typical items come back in stock

Covid causes many people to realize how idiotic and unnecessary American materialism is, and say F this and drop out.

Not so riveting, and long overdue. Old approaches to analyzing this are not applicable.

Many of you need some time off.

Covid causes many people to realize how idiotic and unnecessary American materialism is, and say F this and drop out.

Not so riveting, and long overdue. Old approaches to analyzing this are not applicable.

Many of you need some time off.
The current Great Awakening of American workers reminds me of this SMBC comic.

1556629439-20190430.png

Here is a paragraph in today's local paper:

The rate of people quitting in Indiana, 3.6% in August, was the fourth highest across the country. Only Kentucky, Georgia and Idaho had higher rates than Indiana. With workers in demand, people are also quitting in pursuit of better jobs, Butters said.​
None of those are particularly known as generous states for benefits. Many people have said the unemployment and other benefits are driving this behavior, it seems that CA, MA, NY, OR would be leading the pack.

SBUX has been in a rotating cycle of product shortages... luckily as soon as I'm about to upgrade to some no name hipster spot, my typical items come back in stock
Hot take - I don’t really like SBX coffee. Give me a Dunky every day of the week. And Peets Major Dickison is the shit.

Reactions: UncleMark
Hot take - I don’t really like SBX coffee. Give me a Dunky every day of the week. And Peets Major Dickison is the shit.

I like the blonde roast but it’s not the best. I usually get an Americano.

The food options (egg bites, spinach feta wrap, sausage egg and cheese) are far better than Dunkin or Caribou (though I love donuts)

Front page of today's Indianapolis Star: "Record numbers in state leave jobs"

"A record 109, 000 Hoosiers quit their jobs in August, ..."

This is going to sound old, outdated & like you've heard it too many times before, but kids/young people today, have just gotten addicted to not working/not HAVING to work. And now we're supposed to forgive college debts as well. Hell no. Nobody forgave my college debt. I had to work a part time job, while studying an average of six hours a day to keep my B average.

American society for too many young people, has become too easy, where too much/many free things are being automatically given away, with little or no work involved in getting them. Too many of today's kids are hopelessly addicted to free everything, & today's headlines prove it.

By the way, this trend of people not wanting to work now, is it only in America, just the modern, industrialized, first world countries, or all over the planet? Two days ago, I saw a story online in one of the major news organizations (CNN/NBC?), & some of their economists said our current inflationary problems might continue indefinitely. Yikes, not good!!!

As my father told me, "When you get hungry enough, you will work/find work."

American kids have it too easy today

Little Abner

why do you think they are quitting? in health care they are definitely not quitting to find a better income on govt assistance, why do you attribute any of this to biden? serious discussion only please. also your graph shows quits have been trending up since 2012., any explanation for that. do you think some 2 income households have been forced to leave jobs because rising child care cost have made it cost prohibitive to work

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time, or last), but wasn't our economy very good under tRump, until Covid hit? I can't stand tRump, but as James Carville once said about what people/voters want/care about come election time, "It's the economy, stupid."

For all tRump's faults, lies & screw ups, he did have our economy pushing out record numbers, before Covid-19. I still prefer Biden over tRump, but our current economy might have other thoughts?

Btw, things like Covid-19 happen for a reason. Also, Covid-19 is much, much worse/more deadly & dangerous than most realize. Biden >>> Trump :O America's health/well being >>> elections/economy :O

Sincerely

Covid-45 :O

The best place to buy coffee is any place that sells a lot of coffee. Fresh Folgers is ten times better than the fanciest, most expensive coffee you can find, if it's been sitting in a pot for two hours.
Damn, isn’t there anything you’re not an expert on?

They are political because politicians make them a political issue. One side is either bragging about the numbers or the other side is complaining about the numbers.
The dirtier/more shocking outrageous the laundry/news/info, the more it pulls in the hard liners on both sides.

I thought there were two different ways to read/calculate 'unemployment numbers'? Has something to do with long vs short term unemployment, & if those unemployed are ever going/trying to go back to work?

Either way, it's BAD now, & more people will soon be forced to go back to work, or starve/lose gov. benefits.

Film at 11

:O

Last edited:
Yes, but does it put hair on your knees?

I like my coffee like I like my women, hot and bitter.
Tea is more healthy for you, especially the green stuff. More people worldwide drink tea than coffee.

The healthiest thing you can drink? Goat's milk!

Here is a paragraph in today's local paper:

The rate of people quitting in Indiana, 3.6% in August, was the fourth highest across the country. Only Kentucky, Georgia and Idaho had higher rates than Indiana. With workers in demand, people are also quitting in pursuit of better jobs, Butters said.​
None of those are particularly known as generous states for benefits. Many people have said the unemployment and other benefits are driving this behavior, it seems that CA, MA, NY, OR would be leading the pack.
Don't to forget the taxes in those Santa Claus states, VERY high, & inflation is worse as well.

Sincerely

Land of fruits & nuts

You need to be living under a rock or just 100% biased towards Democrats to not understand inflation was ruining peoples economic stability

..., & even the gov. admits it, as SS checks will increase 5.9% starting in January.

Why? Our gov. gives away TOO MANY FREE THINGS, TO EVERYBODY.

Now it's starting to catch up with us. Manchin is right, cut gov spending/waste/free giveaways to everyone, especially the ones who have never worked a day in their life, though they could.

We don't need more jobs, we just need more workers & less spending waste.

When you reward bad/lazy behavior, you get more bad/lazy behavior.

Go figure

Common Sense

Last edited:

You need to be living under a rock or just 100% biased towards Democrats to not understand inflation was ruining peoples economic stability
That graph tells me the average person changes their mind weekly on the state of the economy.

Edit - Now that I look closer at the disjointed timeline of the graph I realize the graph, at least by itself, doesn't actually tell me anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT