ADVERTISEMENT

Unsafe at no speed

Who really believes there is zero emissions? It still produces far less emissions and those which are much less carcinogenic.
Really? Wrong again. You really haven’t done your research. Look up what it takes to make a battery.

Damn, YT again…

Start at 6:36…this will enlighten you.

Here’s a question for all you greenies…how much oil did it take to make your electric vehicle? Also, how much oil is embedded in your electric vehicle?

Hint: plastics, rubber, grease. But, mostly - the mining of the raw materials to make that lovely battery.

Think fossil fuels are evil and going away soon, ha!

Here’s a question for all you greenies…how much oil did it take to make your electric vehicle? Also, how much oil is embedded in your electric vehicle?

Hint: plastics, rubber, grease. But, mostly - the mining of the raw materials to make that lovely battery.

Green... hahahahahahahahahaha...
But it makes them feel good.

Kind of like my uncle that loved the RCA video disk (circa 1981)... Huge success.

Reactions: mohoosier
Decriminalization of drugs would be a big step to gutting violence.

The war on drugs hasn't stopped addiction. Drugs is a religious and moral issue. I'm not saying it wasn't well intended, but it has grossly backfired from the start, just as Prohibition did. Street violence happens for three reasons a vast majority of the time, drugs, money or relationship emotions (don't read that as just romantic relationships), and those are targeted crimes. We might think some murder is random, but the news rarely follows up on the details of a case unless it's big event.

Thefts, especially on the street, are certainly random, so my head is always on a swivel, but I don't walk around downtown Indy ever thinking my safety is in danger. I'm in downtown Indy a lot.

Show me the communities that actually spent less money on police? You'll find most police budgets raised, inserting more community based stations and utilizing more outreach.

Any issues with youth accountability, I point back to no longer having community public schools in urban areas. With no connection to where they live for a large number of kids, it leads to them not caring. It leads to them being strangers in their community. Less familiarity, less accountability.

When was the last time you were in an urban school? I'm in them often. Lots of talk about kids having issues getting to school. Those are mostly athletes that come across my ears, but speaking from experience, since I took in a kid for 14 months, often times the other aspects of school are the only reason why some choose to follow through on school.

School choice has crushed urban public school systems.

I don't know what the laws in your state are, but you can't have stop and frisk in a state that has permit less carry laws.
This . . . .is why the Democrats can never solve the urban violence problem. All these suggestions I’m sure are made in good faith, but they all appear to be the product of a committee of progressives assigned the task of coming up with suggestions to stem the tide of urban violence. All these might be good ideas, but if they are effective it will take years to see any results.

In particular.

More people whacked out on decriminalized drugs will increase domestic violence—the most common form of violence.

Random thefts and street crime is not okay just cuz it’s random. Frequent random street crime is the result of no consequences.

Accountabikity is not iimprovrd with more schools where discipline and accountability are lacking. Obama thought he could break the School to prison pipeline with more school leniency. The 18-22 yea olds who shoot each other every day are the result of that specific Obama DOE policy.

What is police “outreach” anyway? Police must have their arrest and enforcement authority restored.

I don’t know how school choice has crushed urban schools when the reason there is any school choice is because urban schools are so bad. And there is no school choice in the worst of the . urban areas anyway. The teacher’s unions have total control.

Yes you can have stop and frisk in any state to control gun use. There are many other reasons why an individual may not be allowed to carry.

Decriminalization of drugs would be a big step to gutting violence.

The war on drugs hasn't stopped addiction. Drugs is a religious and moral issue. I'm not saying it wasn't well intended, but it has grossly backfired from the start, just as Prohibition did. Street violence happens for three reasons a vast majority of the time, drugs, money or relationship emotions (don't read that as just romantic relationships), and those are targeted crimes. We might think some murder is random, but the news rarely follows up on the details of a case unless it's big event.

Thefts, especially on the street, are certainly random, so my head is always on a swivel, but I don't walk around downtown Indy ever thinking my safety is in danger. I'm in downtown Indy a lot.

Show me the communities that actually spent less money on police? You'll find most police budgets raised, inserting more community based stations and utilizing more outreach.

Any issues with youth accountability, I point back to no longer having community public schools in urban areas. With no connection to where they live for a large number of kids, it leads to them not caring. It leads to them being strangers in their community. Less familiarity, less accountability.

When was the last time you were in an urban school? I'm in them often. Lots of talk about kids having issues getting to school. Those are mostly athletes that come across my ears, but speaking from experience, since I took in a kid for 14 months, often times the other aspects of school are the only reason why some choose to follow through on school.

School choice has crushed urban public school systems.

I don't know what the laws in your state are, but you can't have stop and frisk in a state that has permit less carry laws.
From Portland to nyc budgets were decreased and or monies earmarked elsewhere. If progressives take over a city it will soon just become escape from New York. Here’s an article on the mess that is Portland. San Fran. All over has gone to shit thanks to libs who know nothing. The vapid left and their anti cop rhetoric led to unprecedented numbers of cops retiring early and a dearth of cops going into academies. Less cops more crime. Bail. Decriminalizing drugs. Lenient sentencing. More crime. More homeless. Cities are a mess. Fortunately like Portland cities are waking up and realizing the far left knows nothing and now trying to hire more cops etc and fix the mess they created.

Your posts evidence a complete lack of knowledge on this subject.

@CO. Hoosier
It's like you just stroll through, set up a 2 mile long string of hurdles, and then some posters just start running and jumping over them, kind of like they expect a treat at the end. If I didn't know better, I would think that the boards lib's start salivating like a Pavlov's Rat, when seeing you post. They feverishly get to work researching and returning info.
Apparently though, they haven't been smacked on the nose enough for being wrong. It's fun to watch though.
Ha.

Except that they often rearrange the hurdles to run off track, backwards or towards me. :)

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
So what part of showing that electric cars catch fire less often than internal combustion is wrong? It makes news because they are new. His suggestion that they are more unsafe means he is doing exactly what he blames Nader for.
It’s not just cars, it’s scooters and bikes also.

Sure gasoline is flammable and when it leaks out of the fuel system it’s a significant risk. Im sure you understand that gross numbers aren’t the issue here. It’s the spontaneity and randomness.

From Portland to nyc budgets were decreased and or monies earmarked elsewhere. If progressives take over a city it will soon just become escape from New York. Here’s an article on the mess that is Portland. San Fran. All over has gone to shit thanks to libs who know nothing. The vapid left and their anti cop rhetoric led to unprecedented numbers of cops retiring early and a dearth of cops going into academies. Less cops more crime. Bail. Decriminalizing drugs. Lenient sentencing. More crime. More homeless. Cities are a mess. Fortunately like Portland cities are waking up and realizing the far left knows nothing and now trying to hire more cops etc and fix the mess they created.

My son was just in SF for work. Before they went out on the street, the marketing team warned everyone that they’ve had several incidents over the last few months where one of them have had a gun put to their head and all of their equipment (thousands of dollars worth) stolen. They were told to stay alert and look around them at all times.

He has been in SF a lot over the last few years and can’t stop talking about this last trip there. It obviously shocked him - the decline of such a beautiful place. Human shit “everywhere”.

Some on here don’t like it that it’s their policies, their votes, their world view that has ruined these great cities. Start with the DA’s, if you dare, and take a deep dive. It’s all right in front of you if you really are looking for cause and effect. I’ve lived in StL, New York, Houston and LA - copy and paste.

My son was just in SF for work. Before they went out on the street, the marketing team warned everyone that they’ve had several incidents over the last few months where one of them have had a gun put to their head and all of their equipment (thousands of dollars worth) stolen. They were told to stay alert and look around them at all times.

He has been in SF a lot over the last few years and can’t stop talking about this last trip there. It obviously shocked him - the decline of such a beautiful place. Human shit “everywhere”.

Some on here don’t like it that it’s their policies, their votes, their world view that has ruined these great cities. Start with the DA’s, if you dare, and take a deep dive. It’s all right in front of you if you really are looking for cause and effect. I’ve lived in StL, New York, Houston and LA - copy and paste.
Progressives are cancers on cities

The best we can do is our best to teach them. To instruct. And that’s what The Dream Team is really. A school of sorts. Virtual educators and instructors

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
It’s not just cars, it’s scooters and bikes also.

Sure gasoline is flammable and when it leaks out of the fuel system it’s a significant risk. Im sure you understand that gross numbers aren’t the issue here. It’s the spontaneity and randomness.
Or is it the media just covers electric cars more? I know I have seen cars burning, not in wrecks, so seemingly spontaneous and random, long before electric cars.

The advantage ICE has, a lot of trucks and busses carry fire extinguishers capable of dealing with it. The first car fire I saw, circa 1984, was on 17th in front of Assembly Hall and 2 IU busses stopped and used their fire extinguishers to put it out.

I saw a fully engulfed car just south of Lafayette on 231. The firetruck was spraying it, but it was scary to see that fire so intense. The car was stopped on the shoulder, no sign I could see of an accident.

I have seen others but couldn't discount a possible accident. I don't know if the drivers in those two ignored obvious warning signs or not. Nor do I know if Tesla owners have ignored warnings.

But anything an electric car does is more likely to make news because they are still relatively rare. And somewhat hated. I have a Facebook friend who posts every anti electric car meme possible.

Throw away your cell phone, and if you have a laptop and/or tablet throw away those too.

Not exactly a vetted video, presented by anyone with actual knowledge of the subject.

When did you care about labor laws in other countries? I'd like to know how it aligns with your view of a more unified world perspective on laws, especially labor laws.

Oddly enough, don't think nor ever said fossil fuels are evil. Just looking forward to a more efficient to power vehicles, not the one time cost to produce them. You're struggling on this issue.

Or is it the media just covers electric cars more? I know I have seen cars burning, not in wrecks, so seemingly spontaneous and random, long before electric cars.

The advantage ICE has, a lot of trucks and busses carry fire extinguishers capable of dealing with it. The first car fire I saw, circa 1984, was on 17th in front of Assembly Hall and 2 IU busses stopped and used their fire extinguishers to put it out.

I saw a fully engulfed car just south of Lafayette on 231. The firetruck was spraying it, but it was scary to see that fire so intense. The car was stopped on the shoulder, no sign I could see of an accident.

I have seen others but couldn't discount a possible accident. I don't know if the drivers in those two ignored obvious warning signs or not. Nor do I know if Tesla owners have ignored warnings.

But anything an electric car does is more likely to make news because they are still relatively rare. And somewhat hated. I have a Facebook friend who posts every anti electric car meme possible.

We were coming from a concert at Ruoff heading north on 69 last year and there was a car all by itself on the side of the road in the south bound lane engulfed in flames.

If was a SUV. Two people were out of it, so hopefully everyone got out okay. The flashing lights were coming real quick.

I’m willing to place a bet that the net over the lifetime of an EV is minuscule relative to an ICE, probably an order of magnitude or more if the power generated to charge is from renewable sources.

Throw away your cell phone, and if you have a laptop and/or tablet throw away those too.
Why? What device did you type that on? Where do you get your "facts" from, the local newspaper delivered to your front door? Not sure your point here?
Not exactly a vetted video, presented by anyone with actual knowledge of the subject.
Please share your "knowledge" on the subject. Vet the video for us. Would love to hear your counter arguments.

When did you care about labor laws in other countries? I'd like to know how it aligns with your view of a more unified world perspective on laws, especially labor laws.
Uh, I'm the one that posted it. America has had strict labor laws for a long time, and my cars are made by companies based in the USA. My Toyota Tundra was made in San Antonio, Texas. Ever been there? Ever looked into the Toyota plants and how they are managed?

I'm not the one cheering on electric cars and I don't own one. I care about labor laws, have managed under those same laws for decades, and a portion of that in manufacturing plants with union staff.

Any more questions?

Reactions: DANC

I agree EV fires are more newsworthy than ordinary vehicle fires. A can of gas sitting in your garage is not a danger unless something external happens to it. Same for gas sitting in your car.

EV’s and other lithium battery devices are not like that. The catch fire just sitting there, or whike plugged in.

The ICE car fire data seem to show that the age of the vehicle is a factor probably resulting from lack of maintenance to the fuel system. To get a true picture, I guess we wait until we have 10-20 year-old EV’s

I think it’s a close fight as to which technology is the most hated. Big Oil takes an enormous amount of incoming from all quarters.

Oddly enough, don't think nor ever said fossil fuels are evil. Just looking forward to a more efficient to power vehicles, not the one time cost to produce them. You're struggling on this issue.
Electricity must come from someplace. Wind and solar are not very efficient, and expensive, yet many believe we can rely on those to a very large extent.

Electricity must come from someplace. Wind and solar are not very efficient, and expensive, yet many believe we can rely on those to a very large extent.
As the technology improves sure.

Some of you fight this 'green' energy initiatives as if the plan is to quit other forms cold turkey.

As the technology improves sure.

Some of you fight this 'green' energy initiatives as if the plan is to quit other forms cold turkey.
No I fight wind and solar because it’s no answer. All we are doing is building more. Solar panels have a hard cap on efficiency and tech is almost there. Wind can only be more, not be better. We gotta do nukes if we want carbon free.

Reactions: mohoosier and DANC
Why? What device did you type that on? Where do you get your "facts" from, the local newspaper delivered to your front door? Not sure your point here?

Please share your "knowledge" on the subject. Vet the video for us. Would love to hear your counter arguments.
You reply to posts talking about EV's causing fires with how they're mined. One was a PR video from...India(?) LOL
Uh, I'm the one that posted it. America has had strict labor laws for a long time, and my cars are made by companies based in the USA. My Toyota Tundra was made in San Antonio, Texas. Ever been there? Ever looked into the Toyota plants and how they are managed?

I'm not the one cheering on electric cars and I don't own one. I care about labor laws, have managed under those same laws for decades, and a portion of that in manufacturing plants with union staff.
I'm not cheering on electric cars either, nor do I own one. It's a developing technology.

Outstanding on your views of US labor laws. That wasn't the video you posted. It's a little more complicated when we deal with other nations.

Did you have a point on the discussion at hand?

No I fight wind and solar because it’s no answer. All we are doing is building more. Solar panels have a hard cap on efficiency and tech is almost there. Wind can only be more, not be better. We gotta do nukes if we want carbon free.
I didn't realize you were an energy expert.

I'm OK with nuclear, but my neighbor who works at MISO says otherwise. He said existing nuclear should absolutely be maintained, but they will be outpaced by renewable and infinite sources of energy around the next 15 years.

Reactions: outside shooter

Ask him how much the Carmel PD budget was cut.

It's his kind of thinking that kills cities.

Reactions: Indianaftw

Any more questions?
Bloom is really getting his ass handed to him today. He's in way over his head.

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
Wind is useless and does horrible damage to the environment but no one wants to talk about that. Solar as well is not cost effective and both are unreliable as a serious source of energy. Can’t control the sun and wind, duh.

Drive through Southern California, miles and miles of wind turbines, 30% plus not functioning. Ever price the maintenance on a 300 foot tower? lol

1 billion for 75,000 homes 🤷‍♂️

Wind is useless and does horrible damage to the environment but no one wants to talk about that. Solar as well is not cost effective and both are unreliable as a serious source of energy. Can’t control the sun and wind, duh.

Drive through Southern California, miles and miles of wind turbines, 30% plus not functioning. Ever price the maintenance on a 300 foot tower? lol

1 billion for 75,000 homes 🤷‍♂️
Just drive up I65 and look at the windmill farm in Benton County. Half aren't working most of the time.

The whole windmill idea is a hoax to get subsidized government money.

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
More than 50 years ago Ralph Nader single-handedly drove the Chevy Covair into the ditch by claiming it was too unstable to drive. A decade later the Ford Pinto was driven off the road because of exploding gas tanks. (27 deaths). In that time the nuclear energy industry was dealt a very damaging blow by a mishap where the safety systems worked followed by a fictional movie. What do these things have in common? In a brief phrase the answer is national brainwashing.

Enter EV’s and other electric personal mobility devices. These things explode and burn, in seemingly random events. Some vehicle producers have.warned customers about putting these vehicles in a garage— as a way to avoid liability for fires. In New York, exploding batteries from bikes and scooters now exceed fires caused by cooking or smoking— the former most frequent causes. Yet, exploding batteries don’t receive the attention of the Covair, Pinto or Three-Mile Island. Why?

More brainwashing. We have been conditioned into believing that climate change ( zero carbon emissions) is the most dangerous threat we have ever faced. Screams about climate and zero carbon not only are used to avoid important policy choices, it is used to advance power, authority, and control into other policy areas. Ergo, batteries are good. Never mind the fact that high energy-dense batteries resemble a bomb more than a gas stove does.

Take Maul. Many leftists are eager to use that tragedy to exert even more control over all of us to avoid climate change. Fires are about fuel. True, climate might affect the fuel but not as much as humans do In many places. Hawaiian pineapple and sugar cane production is kaput. So is macadamia nuts. Instead of cultivated and tended fields and orchards, there are fields of wild flammable grasses— with power lines. But fuel mitigation doesn’t happen in the forests or prairies because of . . . .the environment!

Brainwashing is powerful. We crave it because we don’t want to think about hard choices.Unsafe At Any No Speed. You got the title - and principle - wrong.
Unsafe At Any No Speed. You got the title wrong, and Nader's principle. And the name of the car. It was the Corvair, not the Covair.

Nader's principle was the US car companies resisted any safety improvements in their automobiles, no matter how little the cost. His purpose was to use the marketplace to change consumers' buying habits. Nobody had to buy his book. But it became a best seller. In the marketplace. Why is that?

Nader's principle was the underlying premise of the plaintiff's case in the Pinto matter, some 15 years later. Plaintiff's lawyers proved it too, with a Ford internal memo that said that Ford could have prevented 180 deaths and 180 serious injuries by a different design of the fuel system that would have cost $11 (Ford's estimate). The greed shown by Ford's internal memo made for good press in the early 80s.

Why don't exploding batteries get the same press? They do. But upon a search online of "exploding batteries deaths" reveals the emphasis is on deaths from batteries exploding on e-bikes.

Your complaint really isn't about exploding batteries, but rather about a perceived difference in news coverage. Why is that?

I think your purpose is just to bitch some more about "liberals" and the "media". You're flat out wrong: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/explod...hium-batteries-are-confounding-fire-rcna65739.

Indianapolis raised their police budget, and crime continued.

Soooooo...maybe traditional spending budgets isn't really the differentiator.

More cops. Treat cops with positivity Maybe there won’t be a shortage. Less progressive policies: Bail, sentencing, etc. Not hard.

Reactions: Spartans9312

Might have something to do with being 300+ officers short despite raising the pay.

Appreciate you dipping back into fringe labels. Really ups the level of discourse.
Indy is down 322 officers. There were consequences to the summer of love. We see it where progressives had influence. Fringe labels? I don’t know what that means.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Might have something to do with being 300+ officers short despite raising the pay.

"Retention and recruiting is a national problem," Boylan said "Agencies, large and small are facing officer shortages, and the IMPD is no different."

It's a thankless job, and to be blunt, now they take it from both sides. Why would they want to work in a city whose state is a free for all in regards to gun control?

• Haha
Living rent free in your head.
"Retention and recruiting is a national problem," Boylan said "Agencies, large and small are facing officer shortages, and the IMPD is no different."

It's a thankless job, and to be blunt, now they take it from both sides.
Lmao it’s because vapid morons attacked cops during the summer of love predicated on a false narrative. Cops took early retirement in unprecedented numbers and academies numbers dipped. It’s thankless bc of dumb shits who backed BLM etc

Lmao it’s because vapid morons attacked cops during the summer of love predicated on a false narrative. Cops to early retirement in unprecedented numbers and academies numbers dipped. It’s thankless bc of dumb shits who backed BLM etc
And now cops in Indianapolis, which asked the state to reconsider permit less carry laws, were ignored. Probably has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: UncleMark
And now cops in Indianapolis, which asked the state to reconsider permit less carry laws, were ignored. Probably has nothing to do with it.
Oh my god. You think gang bangers and the rest responsible for violent crime are waiting on permits.

And I am all for more regulation. Guns should be extremely difficult to get

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT