ADVERTISEMENT

Unsafe at no speed

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
More than 50 years ago Ralph Nader single-handedly drove the Chevy Covair into the ditch by claiming it was too unstable to drive. A decade later the Ford Pinto was driven off the road because of exploding gas tanks. (27 deaths). In that time the nuclear energy industry was dealt a very damaging blow by a mishap where the safety systems worked followed by a fictional movie. What do these things have in common? In a brief phrase the answer is national brainwashing.

Enter EV’s and other electric personal mobility devices. These things explode and burn, in seemingly random events. Some vehicle producers have.warned customers about putting these vehicles in a garage— as a way to avoid liability for fires. In New York, exploding batteries from bikes and scooters now exceed fires caused by cooking or smoking— the former most frequent causes. Yet, exploding batteries don’t receive the attention of the Covair, Pinto or Three-Mile Island. Why?

More brainwashing. We have been conditioned into believing that climate change ( zero carbon emissions) is the most dangerous threat we have ever faced. Screams about climate and zero carbon not only are used to avoid important policy choices, it is used to advance power, authority, and control into other policy areas. Ergo, batteries are good. Never mind the fact that high energy-dense batteries resemble a bomb more than a gas stove does.

Take Maul. Many leftists are eager to use that tragedy to exert even more control over all of us to avoid climate change. Fires are about fuel. True, climate might affect the fuel but not as much as humans do In many places. Hawaiian pineapple and sugar cane production is kaput. So is macadamia nuts. Instead of cultivated and tended fields and orchards, there are fields of wild flammable grasses— with power lines. But fuel mitigation doesn’t happen in the forests or prairies because of . . . .the environment!

Brainwashing is powerful. We crave it because we don’t want to think about hard choices.

More than 50 years ago Ralph Nader single-handedly drove the Chevy Covair into the ditch by claiming it was too unstable to drive. A decade later the Ford Pinto was driven off the road because of exploding gas tanks. (27 deaths). In that time the nuclear energy industry was dealt a very damaging blow by a mishap where the safety systems worked followed by a fictional movie. What do these things have in common? In a brief phrase the answer is national brainwashing.

Enter EV’s and other electric personal mobility devices. These things explode and burn, in seemingly random events. Some vehicle producers have.warned customers about putting these vehicles in a garage— as a way to avoid liability for fires. In New York, exploding batteries from bikes and scooters now exceed fires caused by cooking or smoking— the former most frequent causes. Yet, exploding batteries don’t receive the attention of the Covair, Pinto or Three-Mile Island. Why?

More brainwashing. We have been conditioned into believing that climate change ( zero carbon emissions) is the most dangerous threat we have ever faced. Screams about climate and zero carbon not only are used to avoid important policy choices, it is used to advance power, authority, and control into other policy areas. Ergo, batteries are good. Never mind the fact that high energy-dense batteries resemble a bomb more than a gas stove does.

Take Maul. Many leftists are eager to use that tragedy to exert even more control over all of us to avoid climate change. Fires are about fuel. True, climate might affect the fuel but not as much as humans do In many places. Hawaiian pineapple and sugar cane production is kaput. So is macadamia nuts. Instead of cultivated and tended fields and orchards, there are fields of wild flammable grasses— with power lines. But fuel mitigation doesn’t happen in the forests or prairies because of . . . .the environment!

Brainwashing is powerful. We crave it because we don’t want to think about hard choices.
You need to stay away from YouTube.

The only brainwashing going on is your strange obsession with EVs.

I guess the big thing now is people stealing the charging cables from homes that have an EV in the driveway. Easier than sawing off catalytic convertors, I suppose.

There have been quite a few somber articles about this.

Without spending a ton of time researching this...I would venture a strong educated guess that other technical breakthroughs also came with early side effect risks. Steam engines, combustible engines, indoor plumbing...I'm sure all of them had nasty side effects early on, and there was obviously a very fevered push to adopt these new technologies that seemed, at the time, to be better than the current alternatives.

That's where we are with EVs. I think where there's a major difference is these days, things like these, get put in to political conversations much more so than they would have back then. And then, obvious progress starts to get questioned.

I know Dems tend to push EV technology more than Pubs do...but I honestly don't get the polarization with it. There's a ton of industry potential with non fossil fuel technologies. Why dig in so much? If I'm an "Exxon" like company, I embrace it. Figure out how to win with it, figure out how we can improve our current technologies with it, for it, etc...

I can't help but think that 100 or so years from now there will be a History Channel episode of How EVs built America...and this whole argument will sound like early arguments against electricity, cereal making methods, etc...

It might be brainwashing? But is it really brainwashing when the direction is obvious, and right?

You always come through. This thread is not about EV’s. Of course you post about me. That’s what you do.
Half your paragraphs reference EVs...and they're a main argument that the solution is causing more harm than the problem its solving...

With respect to EVs...I think that's an obvious partisan, and very shortsighted stance. It shouldn't be a political stance that EVs are going to be a very large part of the answer to a very real problem.

I don't own one yet. Still wrinkles to iron out. But I am earnestly searching out good solar and geothermal solutions for my home. And when the details make sense, for me, to get an EV, I will. And I'm sure most others will too.

Without spending a ton of time researching this...I would venture a strong educated guess that other technical breakthroughs also came with early side effect risks. Steam engines, combustible engines, indoor plumbing...I'm sure all of them had nasty side effects early on, and there was obviously a very fevered push to adopt these new technologies that seemed, at the time, to be better than the current alternatives.

That's where we are with EVs. I think where there's a major difference is these days, things like these, get put in to political conversations much more so than they would have back then. And then, obvious progress starts to get questioned.

I know Dems tend to push EV technology more than Pubs do...but I honestly don't get the polarization with it. There's a ton of industry potential with non fossil fuel technologies. Why dig in so much? If I'm an "Exxon" like company, I embrace it. Figure out how to win with it, figure out how we can improve our current technologies with it, for it, etc...

I can't help but think that 100 or so years from now there will be a History Channel episode of How EVs built America...and this whole argument will sound like early arguments against electricity, cereal making methods, etc...

It might be brainwashing? But is it really brainwashing when the direction is obvious, and right?
Because "reason #435,675 why the Democrats are destroying America" is what CO.H does. You can't take anything he posts at face value.

Reactions: Harry Hondo
Scrapping for the copper was reason given in the news story I saw a month or so ago. Just roll up to the driveway, pop the plug out of the car and cut or unplug the other end. Walk away.

It was one of a series of auto theft stories on the local news while we were in Cali at my FiL's in July.

Excellent post.

A few observations.

First, the previous technologies you mention were driven by markets, entrepreneurs, risk takers and capitalists. The mad rush to green technology is driven by rent-seekers, politics, and those who like power influence and control. I don’t think we would see so much digging in and politics in EV’s and green tech if green tech would not be driven by emotion and mandates— brainwashing. .

Second, we can’t legislate technology. It must evolve with research, science, engineering and public use/ acceptance. . Retail subsidies work against that by distorting all the above. Thus we get millions of people believing EV’s are zero emissions when in fact that they must be driven 50-80 thousand miles to even reach the break even point with ICE vehicles. I’m all for new tech. The government role should be to fund things like basic fusion research, or super-conducting research. Not to subsidize retail purchases of vehicles. Retail subsidies are mostly meant to buy votes.

Finally, the emotional focus on climate change not only distorts economics, it distorts our minds. When we have a wild fire, we think of changing the climate, nor changing the fuel supply. We think of wind and solar electricity when those things can never satisfy base-load requirements. We don't think of nukes. We don’t think of hydrogen. We fiddle with irrelevancies like gas stoves, weed-whackers, and cow farts.

The effects of national brainwashing are ubiquitous.

I love the built America shows. Spalding basically created basketball and baseball

Excellent post.

A few observations.

First, the previous technologies you mention were driven by markets, entrepreneurs, risk takers and capitalists. The mad rush to green technology is driven by rent-seekers, politics, and those who like power influence and control. I don’t think we would see so much digging in and politics in EV’s and green tech if green tech would not be driven by emotion and mandates— brainwashing. .

Second, we can’t legislate technology. It must evolve with research, science, engineering and public use/ acceptance. . Retail subsidies work against that by distorting all the above. Thus we get millions of people believing EV’s are zero emissions when in fact that they must be driven 50-80 thousand miles to even reach the break even point with ICE vehicles. I’m all for new tech. The government role should be to fund things like basic fusion research, or super-conducting research. Not to subsidize retail purchases of vehicles. Retail subsidies are mostly meant to buy votes.

Finally, the emotional focus on climate change not only distorts economics, it distorts our minds. When we have a wild fire, we think of changing the climate, nor changing the fuel supply. We think of wind and solar electricity when those things can never satisfy base-load requirements. We don't think of nukes. We don’t think of hydrogen. We fiddle with irrelevancies like gas stoves, weed-whackers, and cow farts.

Cars requite paved roads, especially early cars long before great tires/suspension/modern 4WD. Roads were largely built by governments, not car manufacturers. Had the various levels of government never built roads, how long would it have taken for the horse to be supplanted? Would you want to drive a Model T to Estes on dirt and gravel? In the winter? So early car manufacturers did exactly what you say green is doing, they said "we have a great product, but we need you guys to pave roads for us".

I just literally got a text from a customer that reminded me how much I hate cell phones
05447f49-1a7d-41b4-934e-0dd704031dfa_text.gif

Half your paragraphs reference EVs...and they're a main argument that the solution is causing more harm than the problem its solving...

With respect to EVs...I think that's an obvious partisan, and very shortsighted stance. It shouldn't be a political stance that EVs are going to be a very large part of the answer to a very real problem.

I don't own one yet. Still wrinkles to iron out. But I am earnestly searching out good solar and geothermal solutions for my home. And when the details make sense, for me, to get an EV, I will. And I'm sure most others will too.
I mention EV’s because they are an excellent example of national brainwashing. . The market is heavily dependent on retail subsidies and people believe they are zero emissions.

I don’t object to green tech at all. I first had solar panels for domestic hot water in the 70’s. I have photovoltaics now. I’ve owned a hybrid vehicle. I told my stoker if she be comes a widow, she should consider a small EV. I’m 100% LED’s. But I’d be lying if I didn’t say government subsidies was not part of my decision making.

Reactions: DANC and jet812
Cars requite paved roads, especially early cars long before great tires/suspension/modern 4WD. Roads were largely built by governments, not car manufacturers. Had the various levels of government never built roads, how long would it have taken for the horse to be supplanted? Would you want to drive a Model T to Estes on dirt and gravel? In the winter? So early car manufacturers did exactly what you say green is doing, they said "we have a great product, but we need you guys to pave roads for us".
Hell, the Apian Way was paved. In the USA the federal government subsidized canals, railroads, airports, and roads. Transportation has always been a public expense.

But you are mostly wrong about paved roads. User associations, like the powerful Chicago Motor Club pushed for paved roads as well as legislation giving motorists road priority over horses and pedestrians. Fuel taxes started around 1920 and that was the funding for road improvements and is to this day. I strongly support inreases in fuel tax, but the Republicans steadfastly oppose it.

Reactions: Indyhorn and DANC
Hell, the Apian Way was paved. In the USA the federal government subsidized canals, railroads, airports, and roads. Transportation has always been a public expense.

But you are mostly wrong about paved roads. User associations, like the powerful Chicago Motor Club pushed for paved roads as well as legislation giving motorists road priority over horses and pedestrians. Fuel taxes started around 1920 and that was the funding for road improvements and is to this day. I strongly support inreases in fuel tax, but the Republicans steadfastly oppose it.
How am I wrong, the government put its foot on the scale in favor of cars over horses. I am not saying the government was wrong, I am saying it was the type of behavior you are now decrying.

How am I wrong, the government put its foot on the scale in favor of cars over horses. I am not saying the government was wrong, I am saying it was the type of behavior you are now decrying.
No it’s not. I’m decrying rent-seeking and mandates and other bennies intended to alter consumer behavior. The history of public roads is not that. It was grass roots bottom up government, which is what we think is good government. Today we have top-down government run by Rich Guys North of Richmond.

Reactions: DANC

If CO would have been alive back then, he would have been against roads too.

Since dems push EVs and other ways to try to help the environment, CO is against it. Not hard to figure out.

No it’s not. I’m decrying rent-seeking and mandates and other bennies intended to alter consumer behavior. The history of public roads is not that. It was grass roots bottom up government, which is what we think is good government. Today we have top-down government run by Rich Guys North of Richmond.
Squeeze as many meaningless talking point platitudes in as you can.

I mention EV’s because they are an excellent example of national brainwashing. . The market is heavily dependent on retail subsidies and people believe they are zero emissions.

I don’t object to green tech at all. I first had solar panels for domestic hot water in the 70’s. I have photovoltaics now. I’ve owned a hybrid vehicle. I told my stoker if she be comes a widow, she should consider a small EV. I’m 100% LED’s. But I’d be lying if I didn’t say government subsidies was not part of my decision making.
National brainwashing?

2% of the population own one.

You mentioned EV's? You did more than mention it. You titled it after an EV myth. Yep, myth. BTW...the most dangerous car from what your complaint is, hybrid vehicles.

#brainwashed

If CO would have been alive back then, he would have been against roads too.

Since dems push EVs and other ways to try to help the environment, CO is against it. Not hard to figure out.
If your point is thatv Democrat Liberal brainwashing is worse than the OP, you are correct.

Democrats have made parts of many of our great cities shitholes.
Democrats have destroyed our southern border
Democrats are driving down education outcomes for minorities.
Democrats have destroyed retail in some locations.
Democrats have increased crime in some locations.
Democrats have Increased drug use in some locations.
Democrats are increasing inequalities all over.

But millions vote for Democrats because they think Democrats will improve their lives.

65-75% of people think the country is on the wrong track, but they vote for the wrong tack. That’s brainwashing.

The mad rush to green technology is the same as the mad rush into most new markets. It's done by people trying to establish themselves as big players. Previous technologies could be dominated by one or two companies. I'd government subsidies in this instance is spreading money around to see who can do it best, then from there develop standards.

The government has their hands in all of the above. You're just trying to act like the stuff you don't agree with is due to brainwashing. You just have a limited scope of government should do.

Climate change is happening. It happened before we evolved. It will continue to happen long after this planet is no longer habitable. The question is how much are humans tipping the scale.

I'm all for nuclear energy. Guess who isn't a legislator? Me. What have you done to impact your representation on this point? Clearly, you're not just whining at people because you think these subjects have binary points of view.

Anything you disagree with is the result of other being brainwashed. It's convenient. It's cynical. It's idiotic.

If your point is thatv Democrat Liberal brainwashing is worse than the OP, you are correct.

But millions vote for Democrats because they think Democrats will improve their lives.

65-75% of people think the country is on the wrong track, but they vote for the wrong tack. That’s brainwashing.
Finish your bunker and go on about your life.

Often times political decisions impacted that list above. Acting like it's one party alone is high level stupid.

You're a one trick pony.

thanks for letting me know the content of your brainwashing.

You really should think about the bullshit you're being fed.

Reactions: Bloom.
The mad rush to green technology is the same as the mad rush into most new markets. It's done by people trying to establish themselves as big players. Previous technologies could be dominated by one or two companies. I'd government subsidies in this instance is spreading money around to see who can do it best, then from there develop standards.
You are right and that is the problem. I have nothing against new tech, green or otherwise. But when government pushes public consumption of technology at the retail level, it isn’t advancing tech, it’s mostly pandering for votes.
The government has their hands in all of the above. You're just trying to act like the stuff you don't agree with is due to brainwashing. You just have a limited scope of government should do.
I have a broader view of government than most conservatives and a narrower view than most democrats. Government intrusion into the consumer markets should be confined to information and education. The vaccine mandates were as wrong as paper straw mandates. Many of the mandates are based not on science, engineering or practicality. They are based on manipulation of emotions,, mandates, censorship, grants and simple message discipline.
Climate change is happening. It happened before we evolved. It will continue to happen long after this planet is no longer habitable. The question is how much are humans tipping the scale.
Of course that’s the question. Colorado is on the cusp of mandates that will severely impact the landscape maintenance industry and multifamily rental housing market. The underlying assumption is that zero carbon emmissions are necessary. Anyone who believes zero carbon, or that wind and solar + batteries can fulfill our power requirements, or that EV’s are zero emissions are either willfully ignorant or have been the subject misinformation— brainwashing.

And finally, if the power players in business and government were not engaged in the business of emotion and information manipulation, why do we have groups of people filtering the public discourse for “misinformation”?

Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: DANC
Acting like it's one party alone is high level stupid.
I listed 7 areas that are worsening by the day. I blame Democrats either in large part, or entirely. All except the border are in the hands of deep blue city government. The border is a mess because of the Biden/Harris/Mayorkas brain trust.

If you wanna advance any argument why the GOP is responsible for any of that, I’m all ears.

You are right and that is the problem. I have nothing against new tech, green or otherwise. But when government pushes public consumption of technology at the retail level, it isn’t advancing tech, it’s mostly pandering for votes.

I have a broader view of government than most conservatives and a narrower view than most democrats. Government intrusion into the consumer markets should be confined to information and education. The vaccine mandates were as wrong as paper straw mandates. Many of the mandates are based not on science, engineering or practicality. They are based on manipulation of emotions,, mandates, censorship, grants and simple message discipline.

Of course that’s the question. Colorado is on the cusp of mandates that will severely impact the landscape maintenance industry and multifamily rental housing market. The underlying assumption is that zero carbon emmissions are necessary. Anyone who believes zero carbon, or that wind and solar + batteries can fulfill our power requirements, or that EV’s are zero emissions are either willfully ignorant or have been the subject misinformation— brainwashing.

And finally, if the power players in business and government were not engaged in the business of emotion and information manipulation, why do we have groups of people filtering the public discourse for “misinformation”?

Thanks for the reply.
Who really believes there is zero emissions? It still produces far less emissions and those which are much less carcinogenic.

https://www.wri.org/insights/net-zero-ghg-emissions-questions-answered

It's like people ranting over Biden saying no one would get COVID with the vaccine. No one who mattered really believed that, as the CDC presented its efficacy rate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT