ADVERTISEMENT

Trump's military salute

That’s been my experience as well. I just do my best, but I try hard to understand my counterparty. I’m sure I’ve screwed up many times, but trying to ram “Americanism” down other people’s throats doesn’t work very well.

I have a great story from Lisbon that you’d enjoy. An American idiot in full “ugly” mode.

Ultimately, I think life is about accumulating a massive collection of personal 'stories' you can tell at the end of it all -- and they are usually those you can laugh about or of yourself.
That's what I would call a rich life.

Thats why the Bourdain death is really sad -- it was an illness that he couldn't overcome despite the fact that he had a rich life.

Reactions: DrHoops
Just about everytime I see him greeting in public, he does the military style salute.

It would not be so odd if he does that in a military ceremony, but when he greets civilians?
For a guy who tried every which way to avoid military draft in his youth (6 times, I believe), it looks so phony.

Right, Lucy?;)

Thanks for starting a really idiotic post. Surely you can do better than this!

Reactions: Lucy01
This is an intelligent and reasonable post. But you know what would be more intelligent and reasonable? You taking just a few moments to call out just how epically idiotic other posters are for making a thing of this. Stand up for reason and common sense. Call stupid stupid. You have it in you. Do it.
When this criticism came up during the Obama administration I said that it was stupid here. When something is stupid I have no problem saying it’s stupid. I’ve said the same thing about the Benghazi investigation, various conspiracies on the right and left (Birther, Truther, etc.), and anything else I believe is stupid.

Edit: forgot to list ivegotwinners posting style - very stupid. ;)

Last edited:
meridian said:

Just about everytime I see him greeting in public, he does the military style salute.

It would not be so odd if he does that in a military ceremony, but when he greets civilians?
For a guy who tried every which way to avoid military draft in his youth (6 times, I believe), it looks so phony.
Thanks for starting a really idiotic post. Surely you can do better than this!
I surely can, but first, I apologize for the mistake in my original post. The accurate number is 5, not 6. I am sure you will feel much better now.

Fact: He avoided the draft 5 times, with family influence I suspect.
Fact: If he hadn't done that, we may not have President Trump today. As an ardent Trump supporter, aren't you glad that he dodged the draft? Going to the war to fight for his country (was it?) is only for suckers like John Kelly, John McCain, and others whom you despise so much. You may include yours truly in that list.

Furthermore, if you don't find any hypocrisy of him giving military salutation to civilians when he tried so hard to avoid being drafted, you are beyond hopeless case. If this is the practice employed by other presidents, I will not find it offensive, but I don't think that has been the case. Eisenhauer might have done that, being in the military so long.

During my ROTC and later military training I was taught military salutes were used only when in uniform and by military personnel only.

Ronald Reagan was the first president I can remember who broke this rule. Reagan's salute was rather "Hollywoodish" and not very military. Trump by comparison gives a more militarily professional salute which may be due to his military school training as a young man.

Till this day, I feel uncomfortable when I see presidents and others in civilian clothes saluting as if in uniform. Makes me think our presidents will someday take up wearing fancy uniforms with all kinds of gold braid and ribbons as can be seen in some other countries.

Don't forget, Trump is a Purple Heart recipient!

I surely can, but first, I apologize for the mistake in my original post. The accurate number is 5, not 6. I am sure you will feel much better now.

Fact: If he hadn't done that, we may not have President Trump today. As an ardent Trump supporter, aren't you glad that he dodged the draft? Going to the war to fight for his country (was it?) is only for suckers like John Kelly, John McCain, and others whom you despise so much. You may include yours truly in that list.

Furthermore, if you don't find any hypocrisy of him giving military salutation to civilians when he tried so hard to avoid being drafted, you are beyond hopeless case. If this is the practice employed by other presidents, I will not find it offensive, but I don't think that has been the case. Eisenhauer might have done that, being in the military so long.

Reactions: sglowrider

Wow, I guess I was a draft dodger too for going to college. After college I was married and had a kid on the way so I dodged it 5 times. You know what? It didn’t take anyone’s daddy to get a deferment.

Trump makes all kind of stupid statements so I thought this was a stupid post. Many Presidents saluted the military regardless of the protocol. Nothingburger.

You're being purposefully ignorant and you know it.

Wow, I guess I was a draft dodger too for going to college. After college I was married and had a kid on the way so I dodged it 5 times. You know what? It didn’t take anyone’s daddy to get a deferment.

Trump makes all kind of stupid statements so I thought this was a stupid post. Many Presidents saluted the military regardless of the protocol. Nothingburger.

During my ROTC and later military training I was taught military salutes were used only when in uniform and by military personnel only.

Ronald Reagan was the first president I can remember who broke this rule. Reagan's salute was rather "Hollywoodish" and not very military. Trump by comparison gives a more militarily professional salute which may be due to his military school training as a young man.

Till this day, I feel uncomfortable when I see presidents and others in civilian clothes saluting as if in uniform. Makes me think our presidents will someday take up wearing fancy uniforms with all kinds of gold braid and ribbons as can be seen in some other countries.

I assume by now you have seen the pictures of Pres. Eisenhower saluting.

I gues this was a travesty. https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/john-kennedy-salute-1963/

And this : https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/23/obama-salutes-marines-with-coffee-cup/

And this: http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/creativecontent/images/cms/322345_1280x720.jpg

And this. :

Let it go bucko!!

As expected, you are digging deeper!

As I mentioned before, Eisenhower was a soldier most of his life, and saluting military way is sort of embedded in his body. I thought I mentioned in my original post.

Try Reagan, Nixon, Carter, Obama, Bush, etc.

You're being purposefully ignorant and you know it.

What the hell are you talking about? Pres Trump had 4 student deferments like any other college student. He had one for a medical related problem with his feet. Pres Obama ever serve? Of course not. The draft was gone by them. Of course he said he considered joining but since we didn’t have any wars going on he didn’t see a need to. I guess for him fighting communists in Central America wasn’t a big enough war.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack

If you wish, I will include you in that hypocrite society.

Many presidents saluted the military but not military way to civilians. If you so wish, I will include you in that Hypocrite Society.

Hi, Mr. Hypocrite!;)

Pres Obama ever serve? Of course not. The draft was gone by them.
He was too young to join the military during the war in Vietnam. By the time he was eligible, military service became optional, not mandatory. Nor does Obama pretend like he is a military worshipper like Trump does. What a phony comparison! No wonder you worship him!:rolleyes:

This is an intelligent and reasonable post. But you know what would be more intelligent and reasonable? You taking just a few moments to call out just how epically idiotic other posters are for making a thing of this. Stand up for reason and common sense. Call stupid stupid. You have it in you. Do it.

Something is on your chin from all that suckling from the lefts teets that you do.... you are soooo emotional and now becoming a blatant behind the scenes sycophant for the left.

I remember when I came on this board. You puffed yourself up and acted like the “scholar” who had no party that only viewed everything from its merits.

As I said I know who you are and now everyone else does also. This makes me happy. Completely ignoring the idiotic OP and focusing on my obviously stupid post. You guys are too easy goat (small g)....

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucy01
Something is on your chin from all that suckling from the lefts teets that you do.... you are soooo emotional and now becoming a blatant behind the scenes sycophant for the left.

I remember when I came on this board. You puffed yourself up and acted like the “scholar” who had no party that only viewed everything from its merits.

As I said I know who you are and now everyone else does also. This makes me happy. Completely ignoring the idiotic OP and focusing on my obviously stupid post. You guys are too easy goat (small g)....
WTF are you talking about? Everyone knows I'm an avowed leftist. If it took you a while to figure that out, it's not because I was putting on airs; it's because you're slow.

emotions emotions emotions emotions
U8e38EI.gif

He was too young to join the military during the war in Vietnam. By the time he was eligible, military service became optional, not mandatory. Nor does Obama pretend like he is a military worshipper like Trump does. What a phony comparison! No wonder you worship him!:rolleyes:

He was pandering to the military saying he thought about joining in 1979 but there wasn’t any military conflict at the time. I guess fighting communism in Central America wasn’t a big enough conflict for him. When Obama does it everyone bows. When Trump does it everyone crows. LOL

If you wish, I will include you in that hypocrite society.

Many presidents saluted the military but not military way to civilians. If you so wish, I will include you in that Hypocrite Society.

Hi, Mr. Hypocrite!;)

Not military way to civilian?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT