ADVERTISEMENT

Trump doesn’t have an MBA from Wharton

Eh I think you can find that in NYC as well. I much prefer NYC. Don't care for London at all.
You do know you created your situation don’t you? You should have married someone from here!

Last edited:
You mean you aren't getting the horn watching it? Then it might be.

stare-and-wink.gif

IMO its the only global city despite what New Yorkers (like my sisters) tell me. I remember being at a music concert in the East end, off Brick lane a few years ago. Brazilian, Spanish to my right, Bangladeshis, Germans, Swedes on my left, with a few pasty white English in between.

Singapore, Tokyo, Hong Kong not in the mix?

Why why yes I am:confused:
So, I was right!
As they say, if s/he thinks like a stable genius, acts like a stable genius, and posts like a stable genius, s/he must be a stable genius!
So, which stable do you reside in? ;)

Last edited:

Not really. Its the embrace of multiculturalism, attitudes -- and not just the appearance of it at the superficial levels due to people living/working there. Without being too bias, Singapore is the best out of the Asian cities; HK is just messed up culturally -- Big Brother, China slowly encroaching into everything they do (and they despise them for it) and stuck with a colonial legacy.

It was always that way with England. The Far Right used to openly, march chanting racist slogans etc. But the cultures of immigrants of the former colonies changed all that as over time, they osmosised.

London has changed. In many ways it is like a cold Dubai; lots of full of bloody foreigners (like Toasted) but its embraced. But London is also different to the rest of England.

NYC likes to think of itself as 'we are New Yorkers, Fak yeah!' And not necessarily as part of a global space. Tip of the pyramid but not necessarily part of it.

Reactions: meridian
I've been to Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Bei Jing, Shang Hai, Seoul, London, Rome, Paris, Milano, and others, including most major US cities. I like all of them for different reasons. It also depends on whether the visits were for business or pleasure.

I've been to Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Bei Jing, Shang Hai, Seoul, London, Rome, Paris, Milano, and others, including most major US cities. I like all of them for different reasons. It also depends on whether the visits were for business or pleasure.

I am really referring to them as a place to live and thus the embrace of multiculturalism/global tribalism becomes more of a factor. The ready acceptance/embrace of differences.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Not really. Its the embrace of multiculturalism, attitudes -- and not just the appearance of it at the superficial levels due to people living/working there. Without being too bias, Singapore is the best out of the Asian cities; HK is just messed up culturally -- Big Brother, China slowly encroaching into everything they do (and they despise them for it) and stuck with a colonial legacy.

It was always that way with England. The Far Right used to openly, march chanting racist slogans etc. But the cultures of immigrants of the former colonies changed all that as over time, they osmosised.

London has changed. In many ways it is like a cold Dubai; lots of full of bloody foreigners (like Toasted) but its embraced. But London is also different to the rest of England.

NYC likes to think of itself as 'we are New Yorkers, Fak yeah!' And not necessarily as part of a global space. Tip of the pyramid but not necessarily part of it.

I obviously read about the power and culture struggle, but figured HK was still more multicultural bc of its historical uniqueness. Wonder if it would have been higher in the 70s and 80s?

I obviously read about the power and culture struggle, but figured HK was still more multicultural bc of its historical uniqueness. Wonder if it would have been higher in the 70s and 80s?

I nearly moved to HK ten years ago to do an IPTV/OTT startup that would primarily focus on China. So I had to look at the environment in which I would have to work, live and play with the then wife. The multiple cultures are more integrated here in S'pore.
HK seems to have pockets of cultural integration where the expats/rich locals/corporate folks would live or play. There is less of that segregation here in S'pore. It could partly be a language issue since most folks can speak English here.

In Bali, it seems like the resident white folks there have gone the opposite direction, and gone native.
Imo understandably so. Its 'chill' with depth there especially as you go inwards in the island and not the beach area.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT