ADVERTISEMENT

WaPo Top 10 Dem Presidential Nominees

It's miserable. I actually like trump better personally. I think he's funny and entertaining as hell. Just not a president. DeSantis just seems like a dickhead
Trump is the buffoon at the bar that's always good for a few laughs but no one takes seriously. DeSantis is the guy who tells you how important he is but he's driving a 2008 Cadillac.

Trump is the buffoon at the bar that's always good for a few laughs but no one takes seriously. DeSantis is the guy who tells you how important he is but he's driving a 2008 Cadillac.
Agreed on trump. I think DeSantis is the real deal. I just think he's mean and lacks compassion and empathy and is a troll

Then there is the pizza delivery guy that lives in a trailer and dreams every night of being a moderator on a cheesy message board with visions of grandeur

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Agreed on trump. I think DeSantis is the real deal. I just think he's mean and lacks compassion and empathy and is a troll
I guess Im in a minority, I don't mean mean (yeah I know) like beating your kids mean but I'm not looking for a counselor for my personal problems in a president.

Anyone recognize this guy?

279293513_962597834623167_7908923836227387551_n.jpg

Last edited:
I can't stand DeSantis. But if he can take Trump down I'll be forever grateful.
Desantis is waaaay too Viktor Orban for me, who is the king of the culture war and turned it into having pretty much absolute power in Hungary (and is currently viewed by the right as aspirational. Hell Cucker did a whole special basically lionizing him which we all shook our head and asked....why is Cucker promoting an authoritarian. Oh yeah right).

Trump is too sloppy and inconsistent but Desantis, he's already and with great political success used the Orban playbook.

That's got me going.....yikes.

However it probably doesn't matter who the pub candidate is, I'm guessing the Orban playbook will be available for whoever wins the nomination.

Reactions: larsIU
Why are we not seeing anything on this except from this single source? That's always a reason to question something. If this had legs you'd think Fox or the WSJ would be on it.
Fox is on it. I know you guys think Tucker is a joke but this guy sounded credible way back in 2020 when MSM made sure nothing was coming out on Biden.

You live in a cave. AOC is dating a woke cuck nerd with bad feet and freckles. Musk is in triangles with Capt Jack. Difft league....
???

I know Musk is in a different league because he is rich but he remains a dorky white guy from South Africa who is hardly telegenic.

He doesn't seem that expert at social media either. Most people will never see the bad feet and freckles of AOC's boyfriend. But they will see this:

musk-thumbnail-2.jpg

???

I know Musk is in a different league because he is rich but he remains a dorky white guy from South Africa who is hardly telegenic.

He doesn't seem that expert at social media either. Most people will never see the bad feet and freckles of AOC's boyfriend. But they will see this:

musk-thumbnail-2.jpg
264.6. That's what they will see. I trust you've never spent any time in palm beach

I’m not saying I’m onboard but if Musk truly is crazy enough to shake some shit up just because he’s a billionaire, then i might be persuaded.

I’ll have to keep an eye on this. This has me more conflicted than post divorce sex with the ex.
He's fantastic. I hope he has a super wheels off midlife crisis soon and brings us all along for the ride.

Look, I don't mean to be gauche, but she's a strong, independent, dark woman who cucked her innocent white husband. If she ends up a front-runner, it will be an ugly primary for her, and she won't survive. We live in the world we live in, not the one we wish we did.
I don’t get it. She cheated on her husband? I didn’t see anything about that.

The rest is GOP voters are sexist/ racist claptrap.

Of the top Republicans mentioned as possible candidates for President, I think Pence is the only non-asshole. He also comes across as more of a healer than just another Republican "all-Democrats-suck" flamethrower.

He'd probably get a lot of Democrat votes because of his actions re: Jan. 6.
Rino

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Maybe I was reading something wrong.

Still, this is the first year I got a refund more than $10. Something funny happened.
If you qualified for an EITC (not likely) it tripled this year.

The standard deduction changed for 2018 and goes up a bit according to inflation each year.

THE STANDARD DEDUCTION​

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) increased the standard deduction from $6,500 to $12,000 for individual filers, from $13,000 to $24,000 for joint returns, and from $9,550 to $18,000 for heads of household in 2018.
As before, the amounts are indexed annually for inflation. The standard deduction amount in 2020 is $12,400 for single filers, $24,800 for married couples, and $18,650 for heads of household. The TCJA changed the measure used for inflation indexing from the consumer price index for all urban consumers (CPI-U) to the chained CPI-U—a more accurate measure but one that results in a smaller upward adjustment each year.”

I got a refund this year because of some gigantic increase in the standard deduction. What's the deal with that? I don't pay any attention to this kind of thing. Why did I get money?
There wasn’t much of an increase in the standard deduction. The Earned Income Credit and Child Credits changed significantly. If you claim head of household claiming a parent as a dependent that could generate nice benefits.

Parents with multiple children generally got nice surprises on their returns this year. Mostly I think that was a good thing.

For instance a family with 4 kids, 2 under 5 and 2 over. Subsidy money was $1,400 x 6 = $8,400. Child Credit $3,600 + $3,600 + $3,000 + $3,000 equals another $13,200. $40,000 of income and you added another $3,600 in earned income credit.

I had many Amish Families that refused all that money. Giving the money back is a nightmare. We had many Amish couples that discarded the $1,400 subsidy checks. The IRS sent them small penalties ranging from $15 to $30 for not cashing the checks or not mailing them back. Trying explaining that to one of these couples.

There wasn’t much of an increase in the standard deduction. The Earned Income Credit and Child Credits changed significantly. If you claim head of household claiming a parent as a dependent that could generate nice benefits.

Parents with multiple children generally got nice surprises on their returns this year. Mostly I think that was a good thing.

For instance a family with 4 kids, 2 under 5 and 2 over. Subsidy money was $1,400 x 6 = $8,400. Child Credit $3,600 + $3,600 + $3,000 + $3,000 equals another $13,200. $40,000 of income and you added another $3,600 in earned income credit.

I had many Amish Families that refused all that money. Giving the money back is a nightmare. We had many Amish couples that discarded the $1,400 subsidy checks. The IRS sent them small penalties ranging from $15 to $30 for not cashing the checks or not mailing them back. Trying explaining that to one of these couples.
The IRS penalizes you for not cashing a check? Bizarre

• Haha

As best I can tell, with me anyway, they looked at my W2 income and said "Damn, that sucks" and gave me money. This is without having any federal withholding to begin with. It wasn't enough to make a big difference in our lives ($1500), but if we had been dirt poor it would have maybe staved off the landlord or the light company for a few months.

I got a refund this year because of some gigantic increase in the standard deduction. What's the deal with that? I don't pay any attention to this kind of thing. Why did I get money?
If you feel guilty, maybe you could file an amended return and, this time, itemize your paltry actual deductions. That would show 'em who's in charge.

As best I can tell, with me anyway, they looked at my W2 income and said "Damn, that sucks" and gave me money. This is without having any federal withholding to begin with. It wasn't enough to make a big difference in our lives ($1500), but if we had been dirt poor it would have maybe staved off the landlord or the light company for a few months.
Earned Income Credit is based on wages or self employment income. It’s a refundable credit so your federal withholdings didn’t matter.

If you didn’t didn’t need it you could have done like my Amish clients and gave it back. 😂

Earned Income Credit is based on wages or self employment income. It’s a refundable credit so your federal withholdings didn’t matter.

If you didn’t didn’t need it you could have done like my Amish clients and gave it back. 😂
It would be like... (whispering) paying your fare share.

200.gif

Below are our latest rankings.
Others worth mentioning: Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear, Stacey Abrams, Mitch Landrieu, Rep. Ro Khanna (Calif.)

10. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: The more obvious path for the 32-year-old congresswoman would be to bide her time for the right opportunity to run for Senate. She passed on a primary against Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) this year, but she would have a good shot against Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) in 2024. Or she could go for an even higher office, for which she polled at 6 percent in that YouGov poll. She doesn’t seem to be taking the kind of steps that others on this list are, but she would have a built-in base, and the progressive lane will be significantly more open this time, since Sanders has said he’s very likely out. (Previous ranking: 10)
9. Gavin Newsom: Some California political watchers have noticed the governor seeming to weigh in more often in recent national political debates. “It’s painfully obvious Newsom wants to run for president one day,” SFGate’s Eric Ting wrote this week. Exactly how that would go down is less obvious. Newsom notched a big victory in a much-watched recall vote last year, but how he’d wear on voters outside the Golden State is a big question. Newsom practically exudes “West Coast liberal,” even as he’s probably a bit more moderate than some people realize. (Previous ranking: 7)
8. Cory Booker: The senator from New Jersey was one of the most prominent faces of the Democrats’ effort to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court, delivering some heartfelt lines about the momentousness of the occasion. His 2020 campaign came nowhere close to capitalizing on the promise of his early political career, but Booker is just 52 and could still have another act on the national stage. (Previous ranking: 6)
7. Sherrod Brown: The biggest shock of the early 2020 Democratic primary cycle might have been when the senator from Ohio unexpectedly passed on running. That was in part because he decided he wasn’t as invested in running as other Democrats were, and it’s possible that won’t have changed in 2024. But with Sanders out, there could be more of a space for his populist style of politics. And you can bet that plenty of establishment Democrats would put Brown very high on their list. One big wrinkle: He’s up for reelection in 2024, and he might not be able to fall back on seeking reelection in red-trending Ohio. (Previous ranking: n/a)
6. Roy Cooper: He might be the one leading contender you hear the least about. That’s partially due to his being a governor, but partially just Cooper’s style. If it’s a just-win-baby type of election, and Democrats want a Biden-style candidate (though not Biden himself), the North Carolinian checks lots of boxes. He’s also, like Brown, a repeat winner in a tough state that Democrats would love to put on the map. (Previous ranking: 5)
5. Amy Klobuchar: The senator from Minnesota would seem to benefit from a Biden-free race, just like some of these others would benefit from a Sanders-free race. But how much? Her high-water mark in 2020 was 20 percent in New Hampshire, and she underperformed in Iowa long before Biden really kicked things into gear. (Previous ranking: 4)
4. Elizabeth Warren: Sanders’s camp has suggested Biden will face a progressive challenger in 2024. But exactly who would that wing of the party line up behind? Politico reported recently that top Sanders aides have gotten involved in setting up the field for 2024 — but by pushing for Khanna to run rather than by building up Warren. Sanders and Warren have often been allies in the Senate, but their 2020 presidential campaigns got pretty ugly with one another. The senator from Massachusetts also has a reelection bid in 2024, which she has said she’ll pursue. (Previous ranking: 3)
3. Harris: We’re dropping Harris down a slot this time. Being vice president is certainly a good launchpad, but it’s not at all clear Harris has put it to good use. Her numbers are similar to Biden’s, and she’s done little to change the perceptions that harmed her 2020 campaign, including on her ability to drive a message. There’s also no way she would run against Biden if he does run (while others might have seen wiggle room on that). On the plus side, Biden has committed to her being his running mate again. (Previous ranking: 1)
2. Pete Buttigieg: The transportation secretary moves ahead of Harris, but not with any great conviction on our part. He ran a good campaign in 2020 — we’ll repeat that he was very close to winning the first two contests — and would enter 2024 with more heft as a Cabinet secretary. Mostly, we’d expect a Biden-less race to be one of the most wide-open contests in recent memory. To the extent people don’t want Biden or Harris, he’s next in line just in terms of sheer plausibility. (Previous ranking: 2)
1. Biden: Having said all of the above, things are often darkest for a president in a midterm election year. And Biden has both a pandemic and inflation to contend with. If those factors wane in the coming months, and after the 2022 midterms? The picture might be significantly different. If Republicans win some control of Congress, as appears likely, it could even help Biden politically, because he’ll have something to run against (even apart from Donald Trump). But mostly, we just wonder whether we’ll see him try to become the first-ever octogenarian presidential nominee.
I hope their is a better list then these people. Biden is screwing up the country and the world so fast their will need to be a strong candidate from either side that leans toward the middle to fix the mess he is creating.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT