ADVERTISEMENT

WaPo Top 10 Dem Presidential Nominees

JamieDimonsBalls

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2015
200.gif

Below are our latest rankings.
Others worth mentioning: Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear, Stacey Abrams, Mitch Landrieu, Rep. Ro Khanna (Calif.)

10. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: The more obvious path for the 32-year-old congresswoman would be to bide her time for the right opportunity to run for Senate. She passed on a primary against Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) this year, but she would have a good shot against Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) in 2024. Or she could go for an even higher office, for which she polled at 6 percent in that YouGov poll. She doesn’t seem to be taking the kind of steps that others on this list are, but she would have a built-in base, and the progressive lane will be significantly more open this time, since Sanders has said he’s very likely out. (Previous ranking: 10)
9. Gavin Newsom: Some California political watchers have noticed the governor seeming to weigh in more often in recent national political debates. “It’s painfully obvious Newsom wants to run for president one day,” SFGate’s Eric Ting wrote this week. Exactly how that would go down is less obvious. Newsom notched a big victory in a much-watched recall vote last year, but how he’d wear on voters outside the Golden State is a big question. Newsom practically exudes “West Coast liberal,” even as he’s probably a bit more moderate than some people realize. (Previous ranking: 7)
8. Cory Booker: The senator from New Jersey was one of the most prominent faces of the Democrats’ effort to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court, delivering some heartfelt lines about the momentousness of the occasion. His 2020 campaign came nowhere close to capitalizing on the promise of his early political career, but Booker is just 52 and could still have another act on the national stage. (Previous ranking: 6)
7. Sherrod Brown: The biggest shock of the early 2020 Democratic primary cycle might have been when the senator from Ohio unexpectedly passed on running. That was in part because he decided he wasn’t as invested in running as other Democrats were, and it’s possible that won’t have changed in 2024. But with Sanders out, there could be more of a space for his populist style of politics. And you can bet that plenty of establishment Democrats would put Brown very high on their list. One big wrinkle: He’s up for reelection in 2024, and he might not be able to fall back on seeking reelection in red-trending Ohio. (Previous ranking: n/a)
6. Roy Cooper: He might be the one leading contender you hear the least about. That’s partially due to his being a governor, but partially just Cooper’s style. If it’s a just-win-baby type of election, and Democrats want a Biden-style candidate (though not Biden himself), the North Carolinian checks lots of boxes. He’s also, like Brown, a repeat winner in a tough state that Democrats would love to put on the map. (Previous ranking: 5)
5. Amy Klobuchar: The senator from Minnesota would seem to benefit from a Biden-free race, just like some of these others would benefit from a Sanders-free race. But how much? Her high-water mark in 2020 was 20 percent in New Hampshire, and she underperformed in Iowa long before Biden really kicked things into gear. (Previous ranking: 4)
4. Elizabeth Warren: Sanders’s camp has suggested Biden will face a progressive challenger in 2024. But exactly who would that wing of the party line up behind? Politico reported recently that top Sanders aides have gotten involved in setting up the field for 2024 — but by pushing for Khanna to run rather than by building up Warren. Sanders and Warren have often been allies in the Senate, but their 2020 presidential campaigns got pretty ugly with one another. The senator from Massachusetts also has a reelection bid in 2024, which she has said she’ll pursue. (Previous ranking: 3)
3. Harris: We’re dropping Harris down a slot this time. Being vice president is certainly a good launchpad, but it’s not at all clear Harris has put it to good use. Her numbers are similar to Biden’s, and she’s done little to change the perceptions that harmed her 2020 campaign, including on her ability to drive a message. There’s also no way she would run against Biden if he does run (while others might have seen wiggle room on that). On the plus side, Biden has committed to her being his running mate again. (Previous ranking: 1)
2. Pete Buttigieg: The transportation secretary moves ahead of Harris, but not with any great conviction on our part. He ran a good campaign in 2020 — we’ll repeat that he was very close to winning the first two contests — and would enter 2024 with more heft as a Cabinet secretary. Mostly, we’d expect a Biden-less race to be one of the most wide-open contests in recent memory. To the extent people don’t want Biden or Harris, he’s next in line just in terms of sheer plausibility. (Previous ranking: 2)
1. Biden: Having said all of the above, things are often darkest for a president in a midterm election year. And Biden has both a pandemic and inflation to contend with. If those factors wane in the coming months, and after the 2022 midterms? The picture might be significantly different. If Republicans win some control of Congress, as appears likely, it could even help Biden politically, because he’ll have something to run against (even apart from Donald Trump). But mostly, we just wonder whether we’ll see him try to become the first-ever octogenarian presidential nominee.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
200.gif

Others worth mentioning: Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear, Stacey Abrams, Mitch Landrieu, Rep. Ro Khanna (Calif.)

10. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: The more obvious path for the 32-year-old congresswoman would be to bide her time for the right opportunity to run for Senate. She passed on a primary against Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) this year, but she would have a good shot against Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) in 2024. Or she could go for an even higher office, for which she polled at 6 percent in that YouGov poll. She doesn’t seem to be taking the kind of steps that others on this list are, but she would have a built-in base, and the progressive lane will be significantly more open this time, since Sanders has said he’s very likely out. (Previous ranking: 10)
9. Gavin Newsom: Some California political watchers have noticed the governor seeming to weigh in more often in recent national political debates. “It’s painfully obvious Newsom wants to run for president one day,” SFGate’s Eric Ting wrote this week. Exactly how that would go down is less obvious. Newsom notched a big victory in a much-watched recall vote last year, but how he’d wear on voters outside the Golden State is a big question. Newsom practically exudes “West Coast liberal,” even as he’s probably a bit more moderate than some people realize. (Previous ranking: 7)
8. Cory Booker: The senator from New Jersey was one of the most prominent faces of the Democrats’ effort to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court, delivering some heartfelt lines about the momentousness of the occasion. His 2020 campaign came nowhere close to capitalizing on the promise of his early political career, but Booker is just 52 and could still have another act on the national stage. (Previous ranking: 6)
7. Sherrod Brown: The biggest shock of the early 2020 Democratic primary cycle might have been when the senator from Ohio unexpectedly passed on running. That was in part because he decided he wasn’t as invested in running as other Democrats were, and it’s possible that won’t have changed in 2024. But with Sanders out, there could be more of a space for his populist style of politics. And you can bet that plenty of establishment Democrats would put Brown very high on their list. One big wrinkle: He’s up for reelection in 2024, and he might not be able to fall back on seeking reelection in red-trending Ohio. (Previous ranking: n/a)
6. Roy Cooper: He might be the one leading contender you hear the least about. That’s partially due to his being a governor, but partially just Cooper’s style. If it’s a just-win-baby type of election, and Democrats want a Biden-style candidate (though not Biden himself), the North Carolinian checks lots of boxes. He’s also, like Brown, a repeat winner in a tough state that Democrats would love to put on the map. (Previous ranking: 5)
5. Amy Klobuchar: The senator from Minnesota would seem to benefit from a Biden-free race, just like some of these others would benefit from a Sanders-free race. But how much? Her high-water mark in 2020 was 20 percent in New Hampshire, and she underperformed in Iowa long before Biden really kicked things into gear. (Previous ranking: 4)
4. Elizabeth Warren: Sanders’s camp has suggested Biden will face a progressive challenger in 2024. But exactly who would that wing of the party line up behind? Politico reported recently that top Sanders aides have gotten involved in setting up the field for 2024 — but by pushing for Khanna to run rather than by building up Warren. Sanders and Warren have often been allies in the Senate, but their 2020 presidential campaigns got pretty ugly with one another. The senator from Massachusetts also has a reelection bid in 2024, which she has said she’ll pursue. (Previous ranking: 3)
3. Harris: We’re dropping Harris down a slot this time. Being vice president is certainly a good launchpad, but it’s not at all clear Harris has put it to good use. Her numbers are similar to Biden’s, and she’s done little to change the perceptions that harmed her 2020 campaign, including on her ability to drive a message. There’s also no way she would run against Biden if he does run (while others might have seen wiggle room on that). On the plus side, Biden has committed to her being his running mate again. (Previous ranking: 1)
2. Pete Buttigieg: The transportation secretary moves ahead of Harris, but not with any great conviction on our part. He ran a good campaign in 2020 — we’ll repeat that he was very close to winning the first two contests — and would enter 2024 with more heft as a Cabinet secretary. Mostly, we’d expect a Biden-less race to be one of the most wide-open contests in recent memory. To the extent people don’t want Biden or Harris, he’s next in line just in terms of sheer plausibility. (Previous ranking: 2)
1. Biden: Having said all of the above, things are often darkest for a president in a midterm election year. And Biden has both a pandemic and inflation to contend with. If those factors wane in the coming months, and after the 2022 midterms? The picture might be significantly different. If Republicans win some control of Congress, as appears likely, it could even help Biden politically, because he’ll have something to run against (even apart from Donald Trump). But mostly, we just wonder whether we’ll see him try to become the first-ever octogenarian presidential nominee.
The Democratic Party is officially a farrrrr left party. I'll take Roy Cooper from this list. Sad no Bullock. Better than the 10 combined

The Democratic Party is officially a farrrrr left party. I'll take Roy Cooper from this list. Sad no Bullock. Better than the 10 combined
How'd we get to this point? I'm not sure what the hell the Pubs are. Half are Trump sycophants and another 45 percent are scared of him. Why can't we have a guy like Larry Hogan as president?

We really are a nation of people wanting free stuff, religious freaks, and uneducated rubes.

Def the top two, but I don't know anything about Cooper.
Cooper is a blue gov in a red state who cut taxes. I'm sure Danc living there is more familiar but my limited knowledge/impression is of a smart, bipartisan guy who is popular despite being a blue governor in a red state.

How'd we get to this point? I'm not sure what the hell the Pubs are. Half are Trump sycophants and another 45 percent are scared of him. Why can't we have a guy like Larry Hogan as president?

We really are a nation of people wanting free stuff, religious freaks, and uneducated rubes.
Totally agree. The dumbing down of america as reflected in our popular politicians. There are politicans out there that arent complete asses or dolts but they are virtually anonymous and have no juice to do anything.

guess we'll have to decide if we want guns or pronouns

• Sad
Reactions: TommyCracker
I hate to say it but the guys that I trust for political discussion were really down on the moderates for both parties...and this is a new attitude.

I guess there are a shit ton of well respected moderates who have experience working across the aisle that are simply just getting out of public service.

I think Brown was mentioned. Stephanie Murphy out of Florida got a huge lament as she's just relinquishing her position by not running for reelection and getting out of public service completely.

She's only 43 years old.

So yeah, there's a bit of fear in the air that politics going forward is going to see the extremes grow while the middle evaporates.

So....sweet.

Anyway, as far as Pete I don't think he'll even attempt to run until 2028. First off he can create a huge name, and a decently non partisan one of he can see this infrastructure deal through.

Secondly if Biden doesn't run (and folks he has to say he's 'probably' going to run even if he is in a coma because being a lame duck president changes everyone's gameplay towards a complete blockaid) then stepping over Harris probably won't sit well with the demographic he has the most work to do.

My simplistic Pete route is to stay as Transportation Sec as long as possible (which means as long as the Dems hold the presidency) but take another shot if the Dems lose in 2024.

So I'm thinking 2028 at the earliest.

Of course who knows where we'll be and who will be the most prominent named on both sides politically by then.

As far as the republicans, it seems pretty straight forward. Seems like it will be Trump or Desantis in 24 than most likely Desantis in 2028.

Not going to lie, I would love to see Buttigieg/Desantis debate (of course the RNC has already backed out of the debate commission so, we might have seen the last presidential debate for a while).

I hate to say it but the guys that I trust for political discussion were really down on the moderates for both parties...and this is a new attitude.

I guess there are a shit ton of well respected moderates who have experience working across the aisle that are simply just getting out of public service.

I think Brown was mentioned. Stephanie Murphy out of Florida got a huge lament as she's just relinquishing her position by not running for reelection and getting out of public service completely.

She's only 43 years old.

So yeah, there's a bit of fear in the air that politics going forward is going to see the extremes grow while the middle evaporates.

So....sweet.

Anyway, as far as Pete I don't think he'll even attempt to run until 2028. First off he can create a huge name, and a decently non partisan one of he can see this infrastructure deal through.

Secondly if Biden doesn't run (and folks he has to say he's 'probably' going to run even if he is in a coma because being a lame duck president changes everyone's gameplay towards a complete blockaid) then stepping over Harris probably won't sit well with the demographic he has the most work to do.

My simplistic Pete route is to stay as Transportation Sec as long as possible (which means as long as the Dems hold the presidency) but take another shot if the Dems lose in 2024.

So I'm thinking 2028 at the earliest.

Of course who knows where we'll be and who will be the most prominent named on both sides politically by then.

As far as the republicans, it seems pretty straight forward. Seems like it will be Trump or Desantis in 24 than most likely Desantis in 2028.

Not going to lie, I would love to see Buttigieg/Desantis debate (of course the RNC has already backed out of the debate commission so, we might have seen the last presidential debate for a while).
The more I think about the worthless stay at home Pete and DeSantis the more I realize they are alike. They are both virtue-signalers. Just opposite ends. One's a far left woke virtue-signaler and the other my black friends in fla (Haitians) refer to as DeRacist. Both of these candidates will leave big parts of the population, not dissatisfied, but literally disgusted. And that's after we get past the cadavers who are completely worthless. And to be honest I can't stand either of their faces. Pete looks like a nerdy little rat and DeSantis' face and voice drive me nuts. It's not exactly punchable - just something

Reactions: BCCHoosier
my black friends in fla (Haitians) refer to as DeRacist.
Based on what? You want to talk about one of the most bullshit accusations that gets leveled at conservatives, Republicans, etc. that is at the top of the list. So my question would be why? Specifically, why would they say that about him. To level that accusation in my mind (or to repeat it) you should sure as shit have some pretty damn solid evidence to back it up.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
think Brown was mentioned. Stephanie Murphy out of Florida got a huge lament as she's just relinquishing her position by not running for reelection and getting out of public service completely.

you may be overstating her intentions (at least over the long run)

When I left the Department of Defense, I knew then my time in public service wasn’t over. And I kind of feel the same way now,” Murphy said.

Based on what? You want to talk about one of the most bullshit accusations that gets leveled at conservatives, Republicans, etc. that is at the top of the list. So my question would be why? Specifically, why would they say that about him. To level that accusation in my mind (or to repeat it) you should sure as shit have some pretty damn solid evidence to back it up.
From gaffes (saying Gillum would monkey up fla) to AOC "whatever she is" to hardcore anti crt to his attack on electoral maps impacting black voting blocs. If you look and you want to look it's not a stretch. That doesn't mean he is racist but if you were a person of color you would raise an eyebrow. And trust me I get the left's we're all racist pandering bs

Last edited:
This is a terrible list. Unfortunately, the GOP list would be equally terrible and most likely have Trump at 1. Seriously, what the hell happened to this country?
Trump
DeSantis
Haley
Pence

But it's really trump/DeSantis and no one else

200.gif

All this list shows is that we really don’t need a president. Staffers do the job anyway as Biden shows us.

From gaffes (saying Gillum would monkey up fla) to AOC "whatever she is" to hardcore anti crt to his attack on electoral maps impacting black voting blocs. If you look and you want to look it's not a stretch. That doesn't mean he is racist but if you were a person of color you would raise an eyebrow. And trust me I get the left's we're all racist pandering bs
Not one of those things is racist. "Monkey up" gets used for all races. I guarantee that is a phrase he uses all the time and "ermagerd" he used it with a black person involved too, like he uses it with every other race. Desantis and AOC are both from a Hispanic background, so give me a break on that. So being against CRT is now racist? Whole bunch of racist people (including blacks) in this country.

Black voting blocs are not guaranteed that their representation is going to be black. The districts were split up to ensure maximum Republican representation in the state (just like a whole bunch of Democrat led states did). Blacks are still split up so that their representation is more than likely going to be from the Democrat Party, they just are not in overwhelmingly black districts anymore. I don't know why they feel like they should receive racial preferences that others do not. Setting up districts specifically to get white representation is usually frowned on, no? If you are a white or hispanic person who gets drawn into a district that is specifically set up to end with a black congressperson, are you not being discriminated against?

Reactions: BaxterIU
Not one of those things is racist. "Monkey up" gets used for all races. I guarantee that is a phrase he uses all the time and "ermagerd" he used it with a black person involved too, like he uses it with every other race. Desantis and AOC are both from a Hispanic background, so give me a break on that. So being against CRT is now racist? Whole bunch of racist people (including blacks) in this country.

Black voting blocs are not guaranteed that their representation is going to be black. The districts were split up to ensure maximum Republican representation in the state (just like a whole bunch of Democrat led states did). Blacks are still split up so that their representation is more than likely going to be from the Democrat Party, they just are not in overwhelmingly black districts anymore. I don't know why they feel like they should receive racial preferences that others do not. Setting up districts specifically to get white representation is usually frowned on, no? If you are a white or hispanic person who gets drawn into a district that is specifically set up to end with a black congressperson, are you not being discriminated against?
You can parse out each issue and offer an explanation. I get it. What I wrote is how people I personally know and have known for 30 years perceive him. Haitians. You take the totality, his guilt by association with trump who tacitly approved white nationalists, and read the Miami herald, and are a black guy living in Miami you might think "this guy may not be for me."

You can parse out each issue and offer an explanation. I get it. What I wrote is how people I personally know and have known for 30 years perceive him. Haitians. You take the totality, his guilt by association with trump who tacitly approved white nationalists, and read the Miami herald, and are a black guy living in Miami you might think "this guy may not be for me."
Oh well. Like honestly if they are that far gone then so be it. You aren't going to win them all.

An interesting set of questions for your Haitian friends:

1. Have you ever voted Republican before?
2. Can you point to any Republican you would vote for now?

My bet is that this is less about Desantis and more about what they tend to like politically.

Reactions: BaxterIU
When it rains there, and Haitians get wet, do they claim the rain is racism?

Asking for an unknown candidate.

Amy K once seemed like a serious person. And I love the fact that she allegedly would throw shit at her staffers.

Her performance in the Kavanaugh/ ACB hearings really dropped her down a peg in my opinion.

This is a terrible list. Unfortunately, the GOP list would be equally terrible and most likely have Trump at 1. Seriously, what the hell happened to this country?
Yep - no one on that list inspires any type of confidence. Nevermind the fact that almost none of those people would be electable in a general election. And even though Biden did win the last election, I'm including him in that list. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see him lose to either Trump or Desantis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT