ADVERTISEMENT

Trump 2024!

mcmurtry66

Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2019
As much as I despise all the BUTTRUMP posts, I'm starting to think that if he tones down his divisive rhetoric, even to just Desantis levels, he will be the nominee in 2024. The tax evasion/fraudulent valuations (case(s)) in NY appear to be toast. DA clearly has zero appetite for filing them. Obstruction as set forth in the equivocal Mueller report is about to be time barred, leaving only GA election shit left standing.

Trump's obviously awful. Only the most loyal adherents can forget his meltdown during the summer of love and the early stages of Covid, which are nothing compared to perpetuating The Big Lie. In the same vein only the most loyal adherents would support Biden and/or Harris at this point. As bad as Biden is, and as old as he is, he's still preferable to Harris who is simply an unmitigated disaster.

So, for the first time, and recognizing the difficulty and obstacles inherent to running as a third party candidate, is it possible that we could have a viable third party/independent candidate in 2024? Unlike any time in history (I think), we have individuals that have the wealth to fund it themselves (Ross Perot obviously, but even he didn't have the money of some folks today (even adjusted). I believe he and Wallace have done the best as a third). My understanding is that there are no campaign loan caps, only reporting requirements. I know Marv and other posters I think a lot of, Sope I believe, value gov experience. I don't. I like the idea of an outsider. Might 2024 be the year? One would think seeing Trump vs. Harris/Warren/Pete/AOC would inspire one with the means to think that this might be a rare station in time to pull a Trump 2.0 but as a true third party candidate. Thoughts? And as much as I'd love to see a libertarian win, Jo doesn't have the juice or the "It" factor to ever do much. Plus Clemson Taters are arguably as insufferable as OSU fans. That alone is disqualifying.

*advance apologies for the screwed up parentheticals. Too many drinks today. The parentheticals read like a bad David Foster Wallace paragraph

Last edited:
“I'm starting to think that if he tones down his divisive rhetoric”

Name one thing Trump has ever toned down? He’s an old vengeful narcissist and that will only increase if re-elected. It will be a “scorched earth let’s get back at my enemies” term. You think there’s division now.

“I'm starting to think that if he tones down his divisive rhetoric”

Name one thing Trump has ever toned down? He’s an old vengeful narcissist and that will only increase if re-elected. It will be a “scorched earth let’s get back at my enemies” term. You think there’s division now.
Probably

Reactions: Univee2
Bless your heart. You really want that Romney/Cheney ticket.
Yes. That's why the crux of the post was devoted to whether this was an opportune time for a third party candidate. Well done.... And for what it's worth I don't like either of them. At all. I don't think they're anything but opportunistic, and bitter.

Last edited:
Yes. That's why the crux of the post was devoted to whether this was an opportune time for a third party candidate. Well done.... And for what it's worth I don't like either of them. At all. I don't think they're anything but opportunistic, and bitter.
Your choice will be between Trump, Kamala, or maybe Hillary. Even if a 3rd party candidate runs they'd have no shot. Trump has at least 40% of the vote in his pocket no matter what. The Democratic party is a full blown cult. They will vote for the Dem no matter what.

Choose wisely this time. The last time you chose poorly.

As much as I despise all the BUTTRUMP posts, I'm starting to think that if he tones down his divisive rhetoric, even to just Desantis levels, he will be the nominee in 2024. The tax evasion/fraudulent valuations (case(s)) in NY appear to be toast. DA clearly has zero appetite for filing them. Obstruction as set forth in the equivocal Mueller report is about to be time barred, leaving only GA election shit left standing.

Trump's obviously awful. Only the most loyal adherents can forget his meltdown during the summer of love and the early stages of Covid, which are nothing compared to perpetuating The Big Lie. In the same vein only the most loyal adherents would support Biden and/or Harris at this point. As bad as Biden is, and as old as he is, he's still preferable to Harris who is simply an unmitigated disaster.

So, for the first time, and recognizing the difficulty and obstacles inherent to running as a third party candidate, is it possible that we could have a viable third party/independent candidate in 2024? Unlike any time in history (I think), we have individuals that have the wealth to fund it themselves (Ross Perot obviously, but even he didn't have the money of some folks today (even adjusted). I believe he and Wallace have done the best as a third). My understanding is that there are no campaign loan caps, only reporting requirements. I know Marv and other posters I think a lot of, Sope I believe, value gov experience. I don't. I like the idea of an outsider. Might 2024 be the year? One would think seeing Trump vs. Harris/Warren/Pete/AOC would inspire one with the means to think that this might be a rare station in time to pull a Trump 2.0 but as a true third party candidate. Thoughts? And as much as I'd love to see a libertarian win, Jo doesn't have the juice or the "It" factor to ever do much. Plus Clemson Taters are arguably as insufferable as OSU fans. That alone is disqualifying.

*advance apologies for the screwed up parentheticals. Too many drinks today. The parentheticals read like a bad David Foster Wallace paragraph

If Trump runs again, get used to seeing these two together in every campaign add starting with primaries.

This one is titled "The Master and his Orange Gimp".

c64a47248c217833d20dd56f34ef214fd3-donald-trump-putin.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

My predictions:
  • Trump will be the GOP nominee.
  • Biden, at 81, doesn't run for reelection.
  • Dem field will be crowded and competitive.
  • Harris does not emerge as the Dem nominee.
  • A third-party candidate may emerge and could be a spoiler. However, the GOP and Dem political machines are still too entrenched, too powerful, and too much for a billionaire third-party candidate to overcome.

My predictions:
  • Trump will be the GOP nominee.
  • Biden, at 81, doesn't run for reelection.
  • Dem field will be crowded and competitive.
  • Harris does not emerge as the Dem nominee.
  • A third-party candidate may emerge and could be a spoiler. However, the GOP and Dem political machines are still too entrenched, too powerful, and too much for a billionaire third-party candidate to overcome.
Seems likely

Reactions: Univee2
Yes. That's why the crux of the post was devoted to whether this was an opportune time for a third party candidate. Well done....

Third parties haven't been viable since 1856. Wallace in 68 and Perot in 92 didn't come close (although they make have thrown the election from one party to another). If you want to be saved from present day Pubs or Dems, the only path is for the adults in the parties to wrest control from the fringes. If Trump is the nominee, then obviously the Pubs aren't up to it. All the hysteria aside, the fringes don't control the Dems. AOC and Jayapal and Cori Bush have little influence outside the fever dreams of Fox News. Yes, Biden is pursuing a liberal agenda, but he's not off the rails.

Third parties haven't been viable since 1856. Wallace in 68 and Perot in 92 didn't come close (although they make have thrown the election from one party to another). If you want to be saved from present day Pubs or Dems, the only path is for the adults in the parties to wrest control from the fringes. If Trump is the nominee, then obviously the Pubs aren't up to it. All the hysteria aside, the fringes don't control the Dems. AOC and Jayapal and Cori Bush have little influence outside the fever dreams of Fox News. Yes, Biden is pursuing a liberal agenda, but he's not off the rails.
At no time has there been so much money available for a third party candidate. That could be game-changing when you have endless resources. You Dems love to denounce the influence of AOC yet time and time again she's who the media seeks out. She was immediately covered by the major networks after the state of the union address. Numerous polls rank her as a top five candidate for president from the Dems. Why you pretend it doesn't occur is lost on me. Politicians would kill for the coverage she gets. Young people love the Squad and their politics

Last edited:
No, since Civil war era it's been two party with random extra candidates, Debs from indiana was a prominent one early 1900's actually running from prison one year. Robert Lafollette of Wisconsin . Basically a vote for a 3rd party is a vote for the candidate already most likely to win .

You Dems love to denounce the influence of AOC yet time and time again she's who the media seeks out. She was immediately covered by the major networks after the state of the union address. Numerous polls rank her as a top five candidate for president from the Dems.

She's hot and stokes controversy. That's why she gets so much media attention, and that media attention is reflected in those idiotic polls. That's a far cry from having any actual influence.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Cray we have got to get away from these attacks. The board is on life support as it is, and for those of us who use it in lieu of what was once a piss break or water cooler bs session we value it. Just try

Last edited by a moderator:
She's hot and stokes controversy. That's why she gets so much media attention, and that media attention is reflected in those idiotic polls. That's a far cry from having any actual influence.
I'm not sure about that. I think she represents the values/politics of a large swath of the younger gen/minorites

At no time has there been so much money available for a third party candidate. That could be game-changing when you have endless resources. You Dems love to denounce the influence of AOC yet time and time again she's who the media seeks out. She was immediately covered by the major networks after the state of the union address. Numerous polls rank her as a top five candidate for president from the Dems. Why you pretend it doesn't occur is lost on me. Politicians would kill for the coverage she gets

Mark's right. There's not a chance in hell AOC wins the nomination in '24.

First, the Dem power brokers are not going to cede the nomination to a relative youngster. She'd be barely old enough to hold the office of president.

Second, and more importantly, how would she help the party in swing states? Answer - -she wouldn't. There's no way she'd be the difference (i.e. a positive difference for the Dems) in a state like Pennsylvania or Wisconsin.

They love her in New York, she's a left-wing media fave and, as Mark suggested, they love to hate her on Fox News, but she just doesn't have the clout to garner the nomination or bring home a W for the Dems in '24.

Mark's right. There's not a chance in hell AOC wins the nomination in '24.

First, the Dem power brokers are not going to cede the nomination to a relative youngster. She'd be barely old enough to hold the office of president.

Second, and more importantly, how would she help the party in swing states? Answer - -she wouldn't. There's no way she'd be the difference (i.e. a positive difference for the Dems) in a state like Pennsylvania or Wisconsin.

They love her in New York, she's a left-wing media fave and, as Mark suggested, they love to hate her on Fox News, but she just doesn't have the clout to garner the nomination or bring home a W for the Dems in '24.
I understand all of that. I never said she'd win. She has zero chance. Acting like Pubs and Fox gin her up ignores reality and is partisanship. she represents a significant block and has to be accounted for by some candidate. Biden embraced it; clearly.

You're safe. I'd grandfather you in.
Yeah I leaned my lesson once! When I came to Indiana they said I could walk across the Ohio River on a beam of light! I got half way across and they turned the light off!😳

I don't get along with cosmic and Hoops. At all. But they post content. Both of them. So it's just political differences. The attacks on posters that are devoid of content need punishment. Ignore isn't the answer
There's hope, mcm. There's hope. A perfectly good mom joke was sitting there calling for attention and it has so far gone unanswered. The maturity is astounding!

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT