ADVERTISEMENT

todays presser some reporter asked trump about his approval rating

That was a good presser. I think it's worthwhile for him or somebody to call out the press for its unnecessary inflammatory comments. That is of no help and ought to be saved for later debate. The disappointment was palpable in the reporters face with Trump's excellent response to the question about employing war time production powers.

Trump talking about unfair treatment was the fast forward portion of the presser. The rest was very good.

Actually you are more correct than you think. There are very few Journalists these days. Today's reporters and certainly show hosts such as Carlson, O'Reilly, Maddow, Cooper and Hayes are simply entertainers pandering to an audience.
That's my impression as well.

I don't disagree with any of that. However, he is POTUS and he does have massive executive powers in a time like this. If he decides to do something, he can. We need him to be on point. I'm hoping he will be.
I'm trying to be optimistic because to be otherwise is too overwhelming for me right now.
I get where you're coming from. I've held out hope since Jan 2017 that he'd rise to the occasion. He's made me feel foolish for doing so.

That said, this particular situation might play to his strengths. Dictatorial measures in an emergency without regard for the niceties of process and protocol...

...as long as the decisions he makes and measures he takes are sound and effective. That's the wild card. I'm not confident he can pull that off without a lot of help. Let's hope he gets it.

I get where you're coming from. I've held out hope since Jan 2017 that he'd rise to the occasion. He's made me feel foolish for doing so.

That said, this particular situation might play to his strengths. Dictatorial measures in an emergency without regard for the niceties of process and protocol...

...as long as the decisions he makes and measures he takes are sound and effective. That's the wild card. I'm not confident he can pull that off without a lot of help. Let's hope he gets it.

Mark a group of buddies of mine and i started a side business manufacturing here in the midwest. small manufacturers (under 15 mil a year) here i can tell you from first hand experience love trump. i regularly deal with 6-8 manufacturers. the ceo's of everyone of them are strongly behind him. if minimum wage went to $15 an hour every single one of these factories would move to mexico. bernie would put all of these jobs straight to mexico. trump's rhetoric and actions have provided these companies with confidence and he has been a boon to them. to me that's his strong suit, whether it's real or just perceived. prior to this virus small business manufacturing that i deal with was doing fantastic. better than ever according to the ceo's i deal with daily.

handling an actual national crisis like this virus is an absolute worst case scenario for trump. it's a worst case scenario for his "skill set." he imo lacks the attention to detail and organizational chops necessary to be an asset in this mess. this isn't a rah, rah, rah deal which is what he likes best. if he were a good leader he'd recognize his shortcomings, turn it over to the medical professionals and humbly get out of the way. instead his narcissism and megalomania won't allow it though, and we all suffer.

you’re allowing your emotions to get the better of you and your opinions. All those questions can be asked in nov when he’s voted out. All acceptable then. Every one of those questions is argumentative and provides us with zero info about what where we are today and what we need to do today.

I seem to notice that there is always this line being used on Zeke...'you’re allowing your emotions to get the better of you' or words to that effect by certain posters here and usually those with a particular political persuasion. Has anger and angst been ruled as an 'emotion' since I was gone? There is lots of that going on here.

Hmmm...

Last edited:
Actually you are more correct than you think. There are very few Journalists these days. Today's reporters and certainly show hosts such as Carlson, O'Reilly, Maddow, Cooper and Hayes are simply entertainers pandering to an audience.

That's been obvious for a long time. You forgot Hannity. The time slots they occupy are the time slots normally where you find entertainment programming.

On the other hand, I think Brett Baier is an all-star interviewer and he is normally well-worth listening to.

I seem to notice that there is always this line being used on Zeke...'you’re allowing your emotions to get the better of you' or words to that effect by certain posters here and usually those with a particular political persuasion.

Hmmm...

Do you deny the point?

CNN has the video up. The reporter says, What do you say the the Americans who are scared" and starts with some numbers of infected and dead and Trump responds with "I say that you are a nasty reporter".
This is true, but the whole exchange, in which the reporter was argumentatively and patronizingly asking Trump why he's being too damn optimistic is really what set him off. It wasn't just that one question. It was the whole two and a half minutes leading up to it. It was a really shitty job of reporting.

That said, Trump shouldn't have snapped, and after he did snap, he shouldn't have doubled down and kept going.

Reactions: Tacoll
I seem to notice that there is always this line being used on Zeke...'you’re allowing your emotions to get the better of you' or words to that effect by certain posters here and usually those with a particular political persuasion.

Hmmm...

Hmmm...

I didn't mean to offend zeke and i hope i didn't and i completely understand zeke's position. if you read zeke's one post of the questions zeke would like to see reporters ask trump every single one of them is argumentative. they don't seek present information concerning the virus and the response to same but rather the questions challenge the past truthfulness of trump. this is almost always a product of emotions. there's a time and place for that and yesterday wasn't it in my opinion. reasonable minds can differ....

This is true, but the whole exchange, in which the reporter was argumentatively and patronizingly asking Trump why he's being too damn optimistic is really what set him off. It wasn't just that one question. It was the whole two and a half minutes leading up to it. It was a really shitty job of reporting.

That said, Trump shouldn't have snapped, and after he did snap, he shouldn't have doubled down and kept going.
Thank you for relating in one post what i was ineffective in conveying in fifty posts.

Alexander isn't without fault by any means. But Trump's "optimism" excuse is bullshit. He's lying and misleading and spewing crap. Then Pence and Fauci and the others have to clean up after him. People are getting a mixed message and are forced to take a side. No wonder people are so divided. They've been given no choice.

Trump should be optimistic, but in a realistic way. His optimism is like FDR coming out every day and saying, "yesterday we sank 12 Japanese carriers, liberated 43 islands, and destroyed every German factory."

Alexander isn't without fault by any means. But Trump's "optimism" excuse is bullshit. He's lying and misleading and spewing crap. Then Pence and Fauci and the others have to clean up after him. People are getting a mixed message and are forced to take a side. No wonder people are so divided. They've been given no choice.
I would agree with this if Trump hadn't already dispensed with it earlier in the exchange by repeatedly agreeing that he didn't know for sure if it would work, that it might or might not, and he wasn't promising anything, but was simply saying he personally had a good feeling.

Maybe he shouldn't have even said that, but it was enough that Alexander didn't need to keep belaboring the point.

Trump should be optimistic, but in a realistic way. His optimism is like FDR coming out every day and saying, "yesterday we sank 12 Japanese carriers, liberated 43 islands, and destroyed every German factory."
I think the real problem is that Trump's history of speaking in self-aggrandizing exaggerations makes it hard to take him seriously now. I listened to him live the other day in the car, and he would talk about things like the Army Corps of Engineers, and say things like, "And they've never been mobilized in a way this big before. It's incredible." (Paraphrasing.) I literally rolled my eyes in my car, but I also recognized that if Trump weren't Trump, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. He's long since poisoned the well that leads to people taking him seriously.

I think the real problem is that Trump's history of speaking in self-aggrandizing exaggerations makes it hard to take him seriously now. I listened to him live the other day in the car, and he would talk about things like the Army Corps of Engineers, and say things like, "And they've never been mobilized in a way this big before. It's incredible." (Paraphrasing.) I literally rolled my eyes in my car, but I also recognized that if Trump weren't Trump, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. He's long since poisoned the well that leads to people taking him seriously.

He was asked about the Senate insider trading. He said he heard that Feinstein and others were involved. He said he found them honorable.

Then the reporter asked another question mentioning the Republicans by name. Trump pounced asking why the reporter did not mention Feinstein.

Of course Trump knew what was happening because it was exactly what he did.

Now all the speakers are doing pretty much the same thing. Every action we take has some superlative tied to it. It can't be, "we cut red tape", it has to be "we cut the most red tape ever".

And this is precisely the point i inarticulately was attempting to make before. anyone who hasn't been living under a rock the last thirty years can vet out trump being trump. it predates his presidency. we're building a golf club in scottsdale. it's the best golf course ever designed by nicklaus (palmer) and the hotel/restaurant is the only five star five star in america. great club but none of that is true. it's trump. it sucks that that's what we have as a president but it's predictable and knowing him relatively easy to vet. he's the rah rah rah guy and we wait for the scientist to explain what's going on.

having a reporter antagonize him does nothing but make matters worse.

And this is precisely the point i inarticulately was attempting to make before. anyone who hasn't been living under a rock the last thirty years can vet out trump being trump. it predates his presidency. we're building a golf club in scottsdale. it's the best golf course ever designed by nicklaus (palmer) and the hotel/restaurant is the only five star five star in america. great club but none of that is true. it's trump. it sucks that that's what we have as a president but it's predictable and knowing him relatively easy to vet. he's the rah rah rah guy and we wait for the scientist to explain what's going on.

having a reporter antagonize him does nothing but make matters worse.
We would all have been better off if he didn't decide he needed to step in Pence's spotlight.

it's trump. it sucks that that's what we have as a president but it's predictable and knowing him relatively easy to vet. he's the rah rah rah guy and we wait for the scientist to explain what's going on.
When the rah rah contradicts the science, that's when we have a problem.
We would all have been better off if he didn't decide he needed to step in Pence's spotlight.
Exactly. Once he saw Pence was getting credit for providing a steady hand and coherent message, he couldn't stand it.

Dr. Fauci is in such an awful position. He's built his reputation over a lifetime and is putting it on the line by balancing things to make sure he's staying in Trump's good graces .... in order to make sure his voice is heard.

That's been obvious for a long time. You forgot Hannity. The time slots they occupy are the time slots normally where you find entertainment programming.

On the other hand, I think Brett Baier is an all-star interviewer and he is normally well-worth listening to.

I have posted it for a long time. Generally the fans of "their" guy or gal get upset when I do. ...and I left off a lot of them...long list starting with Hannity. I used to have some respect for Joe Scarborough but he downed the last of the corporate Koolaid about a year ago.

Dr. Fauci is in such an awful position. He's built his reputation over a lifetime and is putting it on the line by balancing things to make sure he's staying in Trump's good graces .... in order to make sure his voice is heard.

He is doing fine. He modify's trumps statements as necessary then provides useful info.

Reactions: Tacoll
He is doing fine. He modify's trumps statements as necessary then provides useful info.

The problem with it is that it should not even be happening. You need (1) clear concise messaging to avoid panic and calm the general public; (2) to educate and encourage personal responsibility for sustainability.

Not one step forward, two-step back communication scenario. There is no trust then. Only speculation and confusion -- which does not help foster the two above goals.

Reactions: iuwclurker
The problem with it is that it should not even be happening. You need (1) clear concise messaging to avoid panic and calm the general public; (2) to educate and encourage personal responsibility for sustainability.

Not one step forward, two-step back communication scenario. There is no trust then. Only speculation and confusion -- which does not help foster the two above goals.

I don't disagree, but outside of the mind-numbing self promotion I don't think it has been that bad since the early few days. I am not nearly as concerned about the Chloroquine hype as others if you read the actual text. It was a bit much but Tony stepped in and added the trials context nicely. Perhaps i tune him out more than others do.

Reactions: sglowrider
I don't disagree, but outside of the mind-numbing self promotion I don't think it has been that bad since the early few days. I am not nearly as concerned about the Chloroquine hype as others if you read the actual text. It was a bit much but Tony stepped in and added the trials context nicely. Perhaps i tune him out more than others do.

fyi.

Trump imposed a travel ban on China a long time ago. What are you missing? True leadership is defined by Donald John Trump. Build the wall. Impose the travel ban. End of story.

Reactions: sglowrider
Yep, I fully support a 100,000 feet high wall along the west coast, stretching from California to Washington. Wait, they still can come through Canada!
This also accomplishes another positive:
Our beloved president's lifelong dream of building a monument named after him: Trump Wall.

Last edited:
The press has proven they are not the enemy of the people. The press is doing an incredible job covering this virus and protecting the public health. The Trump administration should be thanking them daily.

Reactions: meridian
The press has proven they are not the enemy of the people. The press is doing an incredible job covering this virus and protecting the public health. The Trump administration should be thanking them daily.

Which press outlets do you think are doing the best job?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT