ADVERTISEMENT

The Debt Ceiling

Heard the same. No details tonight … three generalizations: ‘lower’ discretionary spending, no new taxes, incentives to lift people out of poverty.

Pubs will get some work requirements. Dems pledge to hold 24 spending to 23 levels. No tax increases, but no spending cuts either. That's all I've caught.

Pubs will get some work requirements. Dems pledge to hold 24 spending to 23 levels. No tax increases, but no spending cuts either. That's all I've caught.
I was going to say any deal at all is ultimately a win for the Repubs, but if your summary is correct, I think that's actually a win-win. Not because I like it, but because I think both sides can find things in there to campaign on.

Reactions: UncleMark
Important point from The Guardian: the deal will raise the debt ceiling until 2025, taking it off the table as an election issue (in the sense that there won't be another standoff before the election).

Reactions: UncleMark
I was going to say any deal at all is ultimately a win for the Repubs, but if your summary is correct, I think that's actually a win-win. Not because I like it, but because I think both sides can find things in there to campaign on.
Agreed. Assuming I heard correctly.

Important point from The Guardian: the deal will raise the debt ceiling until 2025, taking it off the table as an election issue (in the sense that there won't be another standoff before the election).
Heard that too.

What stood out to me was 24 spending held to 23 levels. Pubs had wanted cuts to 23 down to 22 levels. That saves all the Biden spending initiatives.

You say how much Trump paid in taxes. There are some wealthy that play the system very well.

Paying more taxes doesn't seem to be doing much to address the skyrocketing wealth gap. The richest 5% of Americans hold 2/3 of the wealth.

Here's a relevant chart also showing how the very top aren't paying as much of a percentage as they used to as their wealth increases.

Anyway, the wealthy pay most of the taxes because they have hoarded most of the wealth. You can't expect poor people to pay much in taxes.

The only difference between now and medieval times is that we aren't forced to call them "My Lord".
Obviously you don't know the difference between wealth and income.

You may learn the difference when you're out of high school.

There's only so much money to go around. If a CEO / upper management take more money, then that is less money available for wages for those lower down the chain so to speak or more money taken from customers.

Sports teams are a great example of the lopsided way things are setup. Billionaires make most athletes millionaires. But yet the wealthy people can't pay for their stadium to actually fund this endeavor. Nope, that is for the less wealthy (taxpayers) to pay for that. And then fans pay the salaries via increased cost of tickets/merchandise that have to be raised.

TV stations payout millions to get content (always increasing) and then charge ever increasing amounts to service providers who then charge every increasing amounts to their subscribers flowing money generally from the have nots to the haves in every increasing amounts. The money schools are swimming in that comes from the BTN which in turn comes from all of us peons who are paying more for our tv subscriptions. Money flowing generally from the have nots to the haves.

Papa John's complaint a while ago also illustrates the issue. He said if minimum wage was increased, then he would have to raise prices that were charged to consumers. Of course, lowering his salary or that of upper management wasn't on the table. As always, It would be a choice between taking from the haves or the have nots and the haves usually get to decide who gets to take the cuts.

Then we have the tipping phenomenon that exists to a larger extent in America than anywhere else in the world. Management wants to get around minimum wage by having customers pay tips to subsidize employee wages. They get the benefit of lowering salaries for the bottom dwellers by making them dependent on the generosity of consumers. It also adds the benefit of making your prices look lower because most customers likely don't do the math in their head. Sorta like hidden fees that hotels, airlines and ticketmaster try/succeed to get away with. Make stuff look cheaper than it is.

On a final note, often time people's raises are based on percentages and not flat amounts. The claim is everyone is getting a 3% raise or whatever so it is fair. However, 3% for someone at $30k is a lot less than 3% for someone at $200k. It does nothing but increase the gap and I'm betting those who want to go with percentage are fully aware of that fact and unfortunately they are the decision makers.

Person A = Upper management (aka Decision Makers)
Person B = Workers
Person C = Customers

For Person A to make more, either person B has to make less or person C has to pay more. Given person A makes decisions, they tend to make more and more at the expense of B and C. If capitalism fails, it would be due to greed.
Yep, it's all a zero sum game, isn't it? :rolleyes:

And people think Lucy is a plant.....

I'd like you to do me a favor, DANC. I'd like you to try responding to people without insulting them. See if you have it in you. You're too smart to act like this.

I'd like you to do me a favor, DANC. I'd like you to try responding to people without insulting them. See if you have it in you. You're too smart to act like this.
As I've told you repeatedly, I respond to people the way they post to me.

I respond to people all the time without insulting them. Why do you pretend I don't?

Do me a favor and stop whining about me when your moderation of the board is woefully lacking.

As I've told you repeatedly, I respond to people the way they post to me.

I respond to people all the time without insulting them. Why do you pretend I don't?

Do me a favor and stop whining about me when your moderation of the board is woefully lacking.
Hickory didn't insult you. He wasn't even replying to you. Your personal attack came from nowhere. You went there first.

Hickory didn't insult you. He wasn't even replying to you. Your personal attack came from nowhere. You went there first.
He didn't in that post, but he does in others.

Other people use my name as an insult all the time, and not a peep from you. When you start addressing them, I'll take your concern seriously.

Until then, you can fvck right off.

if so, that isn't a negotiation or a compromise.

that's pure and simple caving to a ransom demand by hijackers.

at which point, the ransom demand will get larger every yr. 100% chance.

at some point one needs to take a stand, and go to the 14th amendment if necessary.

said 14th seems pretty cut and dry to me. i'm not seeing the point in ignoring it exists.

SCOTUS saying otherwise, only exposes them as totally corrupt.

which if so, needs exposing sooner rather than later anyway.

that said, pretty sure big money, not the MTGs, is who even corrupt SCOTUS serves first, and big money doesn't want default or spending cuts, so i'll roll the dice with confidence on this.

i have no problem with not negotiating with extortionists here, and letting the chips fall where they may.

when politicians put reelection over governance, is when the country is most compromised, and Biden paying extortion to hijackers would be putting reelection over governance.

you negotiate budget when you make purchases, not when the bill comes due.

Last edited:
There are very few members in congress that are actually conservative. The spending and printing will continue. You can’t taper a Ponzi scheme.

Republicans have become an embarrassment the past two decades when it comes to spending and Democrats prostituted themselves out decades ago.

Has anyone else read there is no cap until 2025?

There are very few members in congress that are actually conservative. The spending and printing will continue. You can’t taper a Ponzi scheme.

Republicans have become an embarrassment the past two decades when it comes to spending and Democrats prostituted themselves out decades ago.

Has anyone else read there is no cap until 2025?

You have bitcoin, I have silver and gold. The reasoning is the same, the crash of the US dollar is an inevitability.

There's only so much money to go around. If a CEO / upper management take more money, then that is less money available for wages for those lower down the chain so to speak or more money taken from customers.

Sports teams are a great example of the lopsided way things are setup. Billionaires make most athletes millionaires. But yet the wealthy people can't pay for their stadium to actually fund this endeavor. Nope, that is for the less wealthy (taxpayers) to pay for that. And then fans pay the salaries via increased cost of tickets/merchandise that have to be raised.

TV stations payout millions to get content (always increasing) and then charge ever increasing amounts to service providers who then charge every increasing amounts to their subscribers flowing money generally from the have nots to the haves in every increasing amounts. The money schools are swimming in that comes from the BTN which in turn comes from all of us peons who are paying more for our tv subscriptions. Money flowing generally from the have nots to the haves.

Papa John's complaint a while ago also illustrates the issue. He said if minimum wage was increased, then he would have to raise prices that were charged to consumers. Of course, lowering his salary or that of upper management wasn't on the table. As always, It would be a choice between taking from the haves or the have nots and the haves usually get to decide who gets to take the cuts.

Then we have the tipping phenomenon that exists to a larger extent in America than anywhere else in the world. Management wants to get around minimum wage by having customers pay tips to subsidize employee wages. They get the benefit of lowering salaries for the bottom dwellers by making them dependent on the generosity of consumers. It also adds the benefit of making your prices look lower because most customers likely don't do the math in their head. Sorta like hidden fees that hotels, airlines and ticketmaster try/succeed to get away with. Make stuff look cheaper than it is.

On a final note, often time people's raises are based on percentages and not flat amounts. The claim is everyone is getting a 3% raise or whatever so it is fair. However, 3% for someone at $30k is a lot less than 3% for someone at $200k. It does nothing but increase the gap and I'm betting those who want to go with percentage are fully aware of that fact and unfortunately they are the decision makers.

Person A = Upper management (aka Decision Makers)
Person B = Workers
Person C = Customers

For Person A to make more, either person B has to make less or person C has to pay more. Given person A makes decisions, they tend to make more and more at the expense of B and C. If capitalism fails, it would be due to greed.
Do you know why person B will never be person A ?

Reactions: DANC
You have bitcoin, I have silver and gold. The reasoning is the same, the crash of the US dollar is an inevitability.
People have been saying that at least since the 60s, I suspect before that but I wasn't alive to hear it. A thousand years from now it will happen to a chorus of "told you so"

People have been saying that at least since the 60s, I suspect before that but I wasn't alive to hear it. A thousand years from now it will happen to a chorus of "told you so"
The dollar has been crashing to gold since the 60s and for the past 14 years to Bitcoin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cthulhu85
There is no way we can continue to carry the amount of national and consumer debt that we do.

Worst case scenario I sell my loot for a modest profit during retirement.

Correct . That distinction is vital if we are going to discuss inequality. The massive increases in wealth in the last few decades is largely attributed to inflation, especially in real estate, and falling dollar. Inflationary wealth has come from easy cheap credit and high government spending. Both deliberate government policy by both parties.

Graphs comparing the amount of income taxes paid as a percentage of total wealth, as Hick posted, doesn’t mean squat. Much more instructive would be taxes paid as a percent of earned income.

Reactions: DANC and Cthulhu85
The dollar has been crashing to gold since the 60s and for the past 14 years to Bitcoin.
Bitcoin is just an investment like Apple, or gold, or rare coins. Here is Apple stock, May 30, 2009

May 30, 20094.875.234.865.17

Opened at $4.87, it is $175 today. Investors have received a hell of a lot of dividends in those 14 years. And I think there have been 7:1 and 4:1 stock splits in those 14 years.

So the dollar has been crashing to Apple. No one in their right mind is buying $100,000 of dollars, putting it in a safe, and think it will grow.

Correct . That distinction is vital if we are going to discuss inequality. The massive increases in wealth in the last few decades is largely attributed to inflation, especially in real estate, and falling dollar. Inflationary wealth has come from easy cheap credit and high government spending. Both deliberate government policy by both parties.

Graphs comparing the amount of income taxes paid as a percentage of total wealth, as Hick posted, doesn’t mean squat. Much more instructive would be taxes paid as a percent of earned income.
That's because people like hickory don't realize wealthy people own assets and invest and don't take much actual income. They get their money by selling their assets or through return on investments which aren't taxed until sold.

Noone is getting billion dollar salaries.

Reactions: DANC
This was the expected outcome. Republicans just had to do the dog and pony show to pretend they care about fiscal responsibility.

This is far from a done deal. McCarthy is going to have a bitch of a time getting it passed without Dem help, and if it takes Dem help to pass it then his goose is cooked.

This is far from a done deal. McCarthy is going to have a bitch of a time getting it passed without Dem help, and if it takes Dem help to pass it then his goose is cooked.
I assume it’s a done deal or it wouldn’t have leaked to everyone.

Bitcoin is just an investment like Apple, or gold, or rare coins. Here is Apple stock, May 30, 2009

May 30, 20094.875.234.865.17

Opened at $4.87, it is $175 today. Investors have received a hell of a lot of dividends in those 14 years. And I think there have been 7:1 and 4:1 stock splits in those 14 years.
I agree it’s an asset like Apple and will continue to increase in price versus the dollar.
So the dollar has been crashing to Apple. No one in their right mind is buying $100,000 of dollars, putting it in a safe, and think it will grow.
It’s not necessary about having the right mind. The bottom 50% of society doesn’t have any assets, because they can’t afford them. Also, most of the assets overall are held by a very small percentage of the population. Perhaps debasing the currency that unfairly and disproportionately benefits the top 5% percent of society isn’t the best system?

Last edited:
I assume it’s a done deal or it wouldn’t have leaked to everyone.

He has four votes to give. Any more than that and he needs Dem help to pass it. If he can't get 218 Pub votes, he'll be beholden to the Dems, no matter how minimally. The crazies will spin that as a sellout.

I've seen enough random twittercrap from assorted wingnuts to think getting 218 Pubs to fall in line is going to be tough. BICBW.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
He has four votes to give. Any more than that and he needs Dem help to pass it. If he can't get 218 Pub votes, he'll be beholden to the Dems, no matter how minimally. The crazies will spin that as a sellout.

I've seen enough random twittercrap from assorted wingnuts to think getting 218 Pubs to fall in line is going to be tough. BICBW.
But I thought all Democrats wanted to increase the debt ceiling. Are you saying they'd play politics to stop it?

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
But I thought all Democrats wanted to increase the debt ceiling. Are you saying they'd play politics to stop it?

Getting Dem votes is not a problem. McCarthy's problem is that he will be perceived as selling out to get them. That's a pub problem.

Lol…I’m not in congress. They’ll get enough votes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT