ADVERTISEMENT

The Debt Ceiling

snarlcakes

All-American
Sep 9, 2009
What does everyone predict?

1) Biden/Senate say no to the House proposal and we default.

2) Biden/Senate accepts the Houses proposal and the debt ceiling is raised.

3) Biden/Senate say no to the House proposal, but do negotiate a compromise to raise the debt ceiling.

Last edited:
House has already raised the ceiling, Buyden/ senate say no, we don't default as we have a ton of money coming in although some payments may be delayed (the full default scare tactic was ruin months ago), In the end house will cave and agree to nominally higher than 2022 spending levels, and proctor gambol lobbyist draft a rinse lather repeat bill that passes with all of DC and legacy swamp creatures getting a 7 figure bump in their shell LLC accounts.

Reactions: DANC
Govt spending is out of control. Both sides should agree to that.

When will we get rid of all these unelected agencies that spend, spend, spend?

Yes, there are tons of places to cut.
They are spending trillion$$$.
Someone have the steel to start cutting!!

Last edited:
Govt spending is out of control. Both sides should agree to that.

When will we get rid of all these unelected agencies that spend, spend, spend?

Yes, there are tons of places to cut.
They are spending trillion$$$.
Someone have the steel to start cutting!!
I saw something about the US spending 150 million on a wall in Jordan to secure their border for them? WTF is the thinking? Could there be more hypocrisy amongst Democrats than this?

I saw something about the US spending 150 million on a wall in Jordan to secure their border for them? WTF is the thinking? Could there be more hypocrisy amongst Democrats than this?
“…debt rose by nearly $7.8 trillion under President Donald Trump..”

“…debt has increased by around $3.5 trillion under the Biden administration…”

Not as much hypocrisy as amongst you and the Republicans.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and Crayfish57

The thing is that Trump is no more of a Republican than Biden is. Besides that spending starts in the House of Representatives.

So no one should be concerned about it unless it surpasses Trump. The fact that you keep wanting to use one of the worst Presidents in out history as the performance standard if baffling, & a great example of TDS…smh.

1. Higher inflation
2. Lower Revenue
3. Higher Spending

They won't default. They never do. They'll come to some kind of deal.

For the longer term issues, go find a budget balancing sim online. Here's one below. With the numbers we're dealing with, everyone is going to have to take some pain to get our fiscal house in order. There aren't enough rich people to tax and there aren't enough "frivolous" dollars being spent to close the gap on their own.

The bill seems unworkable without changes . . . for example in comparing the article linked in NPT's post with the bill as described in your link . . . will the savings be realized in an economic environment which features double-digit unemployment?

Seems that the bill assumes that all things stay the same . . . and they'll surely be different.

Kinda like Biden saying if you got the Covid shot you wouldn't get Covid. 🤣
That was not an unreasonable expectation at the time. There is a big difference in simply being wrong because you are basing an argument on incomplete data, and being intentionally dishonest.

That was not an unreasonable expectation at the time. There is a big difference in simply being wrong because you are basing an argument on incomplete data, and being intentionally dishonest.
Even doctors and pharmacists say stuff like that even though they know a vaccine doesn’t actually keep a virus from entering your body. It just makes it less likely you’ll get gravely ill from said virus, or even display symptoms.

1. Higher inflation
2. Lower Revenue
3. Higher Spending
I’ll take the over for the year. Also, the budget isn’t getting balanced. They’re going to inflate it away. Democrats will blame the wealthy and enough people will believe them because the populace can’t count.

So $480B / yr?

Half-way there if our pre-COVID deficits are a guide. Honestly, probably less than half-way there since Medicare & SS outlays are fixin to go up for a while.

According to Yellen, federal borrowing authority could run out by June 1st

I’ll take the over for the year. Also, the budget isn’t getting balanced. They’re going to inflate it away. Democrats will blame the wealthy and enough people will believe them because the populace can’t count.
They need to raise the debt limit but also pass reforms to stabilize the debt as a percentage of GDP

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
They need to raise the debt limit but also pass reforms to stabilize the debt as a percentage of GDP
I’m always leery of things like that or balanced budget amendments. Like they don’t allow for circumstances where increased borrowing makes sense. Similar to Indiana property tax caps putting the squeeze on local governments if something comes up they really need to pay for.

Reactions: UncleMark
It's fun to watch you try to justify Biden lies and condemn Trump's lies. I know Trump lies a lot and I don't try to justify them. He's said things and I'll ask my wife "Do you think he really believes what he just said?" I don't believe there's a politician out there that doesn't tell a lot of whoppers.

Reactions: Indyhorn
I’m always leery of things like that or balanced budget amendments. Like they don’t allow for circumstances where increased borrowing makes sense. Similar to Indiana property tax caps putting the squeeze on local governments if something comes up they really need to pay for.
Emergency spending is a big issue.
Look at the Budget Control Act of 2011. It was a good idea but they only allowed sequestration one time. I think it was 2013. Emergency spending needs to be budgeted in. We always have an emergency. It needs to be accounted for and paid for. Pass a bill that has a single, total limit on discretionary spending. We also need Medicare and Social Security reform. Congress doesn’t have the guts to do it so as much as I hate to say it…we probably need an independent commission.

Reactions: Sope Creek and TMFT

Here’s the scenario put out by the whitehouse if we don’t raise the debt ceiling.

Have they put out any scenarios if we continue to allow spending and debt to continue to grow?
I dunno . . . but it seems like this question only comes up from GOP-leaning folks during Democrat-led administrations.

I suggest getting your own house in order before you start this s#!+.

Reactions: Bill4411
I dunno . . . but it seems like this question only comes up from GOP-leaning folks during Democrat-led administrations.

I suggest getting your own house in order before you start this s#!+.
Yeah well…I’ve consistently bitched about the Republicans voting for the omnibus bills and never having the guts to vote no.
So yeah…they suck. I track closely on all spending votes with Massie.

“Nearly one-fifth of countries that defaulted or required debt restructuring has external debt (held by foreigners) of less than 40 percent of GNP (Gross National Product), and more than half of countries experiencing debt crises had debt levels below 60 percent of GNP. Thus, 60 percent might be viewed as a rough barometer of high risk for budget failure. However, nearly one-sixth of countries did not reach a crisis point until their debt level had exceeded 100 percent of GNP.”

As debt grows the likelihood increases

Reactions: Sope Creek
According to Krugman we the US doesn't have to pay off it's debt...

He’s technically right, of course, but it’s the wrong time for that headline since it’s not what’s at issue. This isn’t about the existence of long term debt, it’s about the service of current debt.

Personally, I think the debt ceiling concept is a self created crisis so the pols have something to fight about/do on a regular basis.

Cynically, one could argue that both parties know that spending cuts and tax increases are unpopular enough that they use the debt ceiling farce to force changes they don’t have the balls to make when they write fiscal bills.

It sure would be refreshing to have adults in elected positions who could do their jobs without having to have their backs against the wall.

Overall though, I’ll agree with Krugman’s thesis that government finance isn’t anything like household or even corporate finance in that there is no retirement or lifetime horizon (compared to personal finance) and no competition inspired business decisions (compared to corporate).

He’s technically right
I'm not sure about that. Eventually the interest on the debt would eat up all the revenue wouldn't it? Admittingly that would be a long ways down the road.

I'm not sure about that. Eventually the interest on the debt would eat up all the revenue wouldn't it? Admittingly that would be a long ways down the road.

Only if interest expense is growing faster than the overall economy. According do that article we spend about 1% of GDP on interest expense. Of course that was when rates were lower. Though long term rates haven't really moved that much higher.

“A far worse situation would be for interest rates to stay low while we accumulate unprecedented amounts of debt only to respond very suddenly when financial markets or foreign lenders decide that the United States is no longer a good credit risk. That could produce a catastrophic financial meltdown, like the Great Recession, which was triggered by the housing bubble bursting, but with one crucial difference. If the crisis is caused by an excessive amount of government debt, the government will not be able to borrow to deal with its effects. This would be a catastrophic budget failure.”

Only if interest expense is growing faster than the overall economy. According do that article we spend about 1% of GDP on interest expense. Of course that was when rates were lower. Though long term rates haven't really moved that much higher.
Yeah, the rates thing is scary. Recognizing that borrowing was super cheap was one thing Trump was right on about. He was wrong that it would somehow be possible to refinance that debt like there’s even a mechanism for that with treasuries. But I can get past that as long as he got the gist of the situation correct.

Inflating away our issues is one theory. I think it’ll be devastating long run though. I consider myself lucky. I bought my house in foreclosure near the bottom of the market. I ain’t moving. Home cost inflation doesn’t impact me anywhere but property tax. Some poor kid coming out of college can’t save enough money on a $55k/yr job to even dream about owning one of these overpriced bungalows.

“A far worse situation would be for interest rates to stay low while we accumulate unprecedented amounts of debt only to respond very suddenly when financial markets or foreign lenders decide that the United States is no longer a good credit risk. That could produce a catastrophic financial meltdown, like the Great Recession, which was triggered by the housing bubble bursting, but with one crucial difference. If the crisis is caused by an excessive amount of government debt, the government will not be able to borrow to deal with its effects. This would be a catastrophic budget failure.”
If you owe the bank $1,000, it’s your problem.

If you owe the bank $1,000,000 it’s the bank’s problem.

We’re too big to fail at this point. The process for selecting a new reserve currency that can handle being the global economy and unwinding global possession of US treasuries will take longer than any of us will live.

Why do they always compare it to the GDP? I know that revenues go up as the GDP goes up but seems like to me a better comparison would be to compare the interest paid to the budget or the amount of revenue collected.

Why do they always compare it to the GDP? I know that revenues go up as the GDP goes up but seems like to me a better comparison would be to compare the interest paid to the budget or the amount of revenue collected.
I think it’s because GDP is a measure of economy size and revenue is a reflection of tax policy against economy size.

Like, as long as GDP is growing, there’s a bigger pie for revenue to come from without altering tax rates much or at all. Theoretically, they could raise effective tax rates of everyone to 75%, interest on the debt would be totally covered, but it would crash everything.

Maybe alternatively, we can think about it like investments in the economy producing greater output. Say we have to go into debt $100B to build some new interstate system. Service on that debt will be $1B annually for 100 years. We still come out ahead of it increases economic output by $10B/yr. That might not be much different than what you’re saying about comparing to tax receipts though.

I don’t know, just thinking out loud.

Reactions: NPT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT