ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Democrats/those left of center: what do you want if the Dems sweep in 2024?

BradStevens

All-Big Ten
Silver Member
Sep 7, 2023
Let's imagine Biden beats Trump and the Dems also win the House and Senate.

What do you want the Dems to do?

I'd love to see them come up with (1) some common-sense immigration reform, (2) universal pre-K subsidies for the states to move towards a universal pre-K system, and (3) a tax bill that taxes large university/college endowments for any university charging over $X amount per year.

If you're on the Right, maybe don't comment for a while so we can see ideas that other posters have, rather than back-and-forth name calling. Instead, maybe suggest some things you think the Dems would do that you also think are beneficial to the nation.

1. Immigration - a plan to deal with those already here who came in legally but overstayed visas, etc. first but then a "next steps" plan to deal with all those here illegally who have kids born here. Path to citizenship, etc.

2. Agree on Pre-K but would even consider further subsidization of child care, even to an extent where any family or single parent under $XXXXXX yearly income is eligible for free or nearly free child care.

3. A realistic plan to expand Medicare to those under 65, perhaps starting with people 59 1/2 and older. This would help push those out of the workforce who can afford to but otherwise wouldn't b/c of the health care sitch.

The 2nd column from the left... 👍

main-qimg-3f25d51b11b9fa2094fcff2dec6dea87.webp

I would agree with lars and brad's ideas.

Maybe a more straightforward simplified tax that cuts out most (if not all) loopholes (make filing taxes easier and avoiding taxes harder)

Reactions: larsIU
Honestly think I'm firmly in the center, overall...but lots of people say that...my voting history suggests I'm a little more GOP than DEM though. So I'm breaking the rules...

I happen to think multi tasking should be a required skill for a group of hundreds/thousands of supposedly highly qualified professionals. So I'm not going to rank them, so much as here are the core improvements I think are needed.

Infrastructure improvements
-We should have cool/functional things like high speed rail connecting our biggest cities
-Our national parks need protected, if not expanded
-I'll put homelessness in this bucket. Needs cleaned up, programs put in place that will actually help
Immigration reform
-Heavier investments in border security
-Clear, accessible, relatively quick "green card" type probationary entry/citizen status
-Very clear laws and rules for certain laws being broken during "green card" period equaling expulsion
-Green card individuals required to be employed and then taxed
-2 years of record of paying taxes, and staying out of trouble = US Citizen
Tax code overhaul (don't "penalize" anyone, re write fair codes that have less exploitable loopholes)
-Less taxes on businesses
-Less loopholes
-EVERYONE pays something, whether that be individuals or business entities.
International Aide/Support/Welfare: Checks and Balances (if its decided we need to go to war, or send aide, then we have to cut our budget in other places to "pay for it")
Gun violence laws and regulations overhaul

-Deeper, more reliable, background checks
-Taxes, waivers, on the various different types of guns
- AR 15 type guns, fairly heavily taxed, and taxed more if not proven its being used for hunting/professional uses.
-low capacity weapons like normal hand guns, shot guns, hunting rifles, taxed less heavily
Career path education programs expanded...Day Care through Start of Career should be the focus, instead of Kindergarten though 12th grade.
-We need to work to provide quality care for kids at an earlier age
-And provide more affordable and free training and education for young adults post HS
Force Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan to go coach at IU
-this would be day 1 type agenda stuff, and I'd shut the government down over it, if necessary

Reactions: mcmurtry66
RFK here. No one knows the Democratic party better than my family. I second everything posted by that GigGoo fellow. A shame it was taken down.
The same thing happen to Bernie Sanders in 2020. GG was to progressive for the establishment. I personally thought he was little light on reparations. Cheap bastard.

I'd love to see them come up with (1) some common-sense immigration reform, (2) universal pre-K subsidies for the states to move towards a universal pre-K system, and (3) a tax bill that taxes large university/college endowments for any university charging over $X amount per year.

If you're on the Right, maybe don't comment for a while so we can see ideas that other posters have, rather than back-and-forth name calling. Instead, maybe suggest some things you think the Dems would do that you also think are beneficial to the nation.
That's not difficult to imagine, ( I think Trump loses fairly easily) but even with holding majorities in the House and Senate, I doubt President Biden will have the opportunity to do much. Immigration would be at the top of the list, but it will be hard to get agreement on a bill. I'd love to see universal P-K support! It would be a win/win for communities and parents. I would hope we could see an agreement on support for both Ukraine and Israel and a move to stabilize the Middle East as much as possible. And I would love to see a couple of SC Justices retire so we could find some balance on the court. Could we see any agreement on guaranteeing the rights of women's health care, including abortion? Not likely, but we'll see an attempt by Democrats to get something done.

The best outcome from Democrats defeating Trump and his supporters would be that the Republican Party might come to its senses and toss Donald and his surrogates aside. Maybe we could see a 2028 Presidential election with some serious, capable candidates in the mix.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
A realistic plan to expand Medicare to those under 65, perhaps starting with people 59 1/2 and older. This would help push those out of the workforce who can afford to but otherwise wouldn't b/c of the health care sitch.

That shouldn't be necessary as long as you don't have any retirement income to speak of. The qualification and subsidy amounts provided by the ACA are based solely on income, not wealth.

I actually got burned by that the second or third year I was on the ACA. When we settled my mom's estate I got a nice little chunk of change and dutifully had them withhold taxes on it. (The gains were considered taxable.) But when I went to do my taxes, I owed a lot more since that one time income shot meant my subsidy had been much higher than it should have been. I had to pay back the overage. It wasn't a huge amount and I had the money, but I sure did have several WTF!s when I first got the results and before I figured out what had happened.

That shouldn't be necessary as long as you don't have any retirement income to speak of. The qualification and subsidy amounts provided by the ACA are based solely on income, not wealth.

I actually got burned by that the second or third year I was on the ACA. When we settled my mom's estate I got a nice little chunk of change and dutifully had them withhold taxes on it. (The gains were considered taxable.) But when I went to do my taxes, I owed a lot more since that one time income shot meant my subsidy had been much higher than it should have been. I had to pay back the overage. It wasn't a huge amount and I had the money, but I sure did have several WTF!s when I first got the results and before I figured out what had happened.
I knew you were a trust fund baby!

Now give us your top desires for the Dems to pass if they win in 24.

a tax bill that taxes large university/college endowments for any university charging over $X amount per year.

What's the purpose? To punish the University with a huge endowment for still charging outrageous amounts for tuition?

I still think the best approach would be to limit student loans to in-state tuition at the state's flagship university.

Reactions: mattndallas
What's the purpose? To punish the University with a huge endowment for still charging outrageous amounts for tuition?

I still think the best approach would be to limit student loans to in-state tuition at the state's flagship university.
Purdue would be in trouble then

You say punish, I say incentivize to spend down that excess to help students afford college.

Purdue would be in trouble then

All universities would have to adjust. Harvard, Notre Dame, or any other private school charging more than the going public university rate would have to figure things out. IU would too, since they depend so much on out-of-state tuition paid for to one extent or another with student loans.

I should add I'd allow for room & board and books and fees and such, not just tuition. Let's say the room and board is based on the cost of the most expensive dorm rate.

You say punish, I say incentivize to spend down that excess to help students afford college.

If they want students and the students can't afford to go to Stanford without open ended student loans, then Stanford just might have to look at their cost/revenue model and adjust accordingly. Instead of piling up money from contributions, those contributions can go to subsidize the school's operating costs and make them more affordable.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
All universities would have to adjust. Harvard, Notre Dame, or any other private school charging more than the going public university rate would have to figure things out. IU would too, since they depend so much on out-of-state tuition paid for to one extent or another with student loans.

I should add I'd allow for room & board and books and fees and such, not just tuition. Let's say the room and board is based on the cost of the most expensive dorm rate.
The private schools (Rose, Earlham…etc) give scholarships to the high ranking students that bring tuition in line with IU and Purdue. That’s what I’m seeing at this time with my son.

Your first two ideas sound good. The Senate may be close to a deal on immigration that may be the model for a Democratic deal if it doesn't pass now. But I think anything needs to include Dreamers.

Pre-K is good. Early in the Biden administration there was an effort for childcare, Pre-K might be a better route to that. Simply put, we have to do something. The cost of childcare is prohibitive and has been for far, far too long. Among many problems it undoubtedly impacts our birth rate which is way too low (and why we desperately need immigration reform).

As to the 3rd, I wonder what the admissions cliff will do to cost? Will it up costs, or will they go down in an effort to attract more kids?

If Ukraine survives until then, fund them.

Capping insulin prices seems to have been a great success, if there are other similar drugs pursue them.

Now give us your top desires for the Dems to pass if they win in 24.

Convict Donald Trump.

Deal with immigration. It's a shitshow, but not the shitshow some make it out to be. The whole "asylum" thing needs to be reworked. That's a Reagan era concept aimed at those seeking political asylum, not refuge from gangs or poverty.

Figure out SS and Medicare. Start with removing the cap on taxable earnings. Make Medicare available to those who want it with a "public option" of some sort.

Overhaul the tax code to flatten it and eliminate as many loopholes and exceptions as you possibly can. Everyone (including poor bastages like me) should have some skin in the game, and at some point the highest earners income -- from all sources -- should be taxed at confiscatory rates.

Figure out Ukraine. Cease fire or something, anything. Russia can't be allowed to win.

Tell Bibi to knock it off or there will be huge consequences, and be willing to do it. Make sure that's public knowledge. We can support Israel without turning a blind eye to what the government has done and continues to do to the Palestinians.

I'll leave it at that for now.

Your first two ideas sound good. The Senate may be close to a deal on immigration that may be the model for a Democratic deal if it doesn't pass now. But I think anything needs to include Dreamers.

Pre-K is good. Early in the Biden administration there was an effort for childcare, Pre-K might be a better route to that. Simply put, we have to do something. The cost of childcare is prohibitive and has been for far, far too long. Among many problems it undoubtedly impacts our birth rate which is way too low (and why we desperately need immigration reform).

As to the 3rd, I wonder what the admissions cliff will do to cost? Will it up costs, or will they go down in an effort to attract more kids?

If Ukraine survives until then, fund them.

Capping insulin prices seems to have been a great success, if there are other similar drugs pursue them.
“Capping Insulin prices”….where is the cost made up?

Reactions: mcmurtry66
“Capping Insulin prices”….where is the cost made up?
I hope like hell it is from greed. Recall Shkreli? Here is some info from Yale:

Insulin is seven to 10 times more expensive in the U.S. compared with other countries around the world. The same vial of insulin that cost $21 in the U.S. in 1996 now costs upward of $250. But it takes only an estimated $2 to $4 to produce a vial of insulin.

Here is a 2016 article on insulin https://www.pcdsociety.org/resource...investing-in-the-future-or-just-price-gouging:

In 2014, the big three insulin giants made more than $12 billion in profits. According to a recent New York Times article, the same big three have simultaneously been hiking their prices. From 2010 to 2015, the price of Lantus (Sanofi) went up by 168%, Levemir (Novo Nordisk) by 169% and Humulin R U-500 (Eli Lilly) by 325% (Lipska, 2016). Currently in the US, there is no generic insulin, and over 90% of privately insured patients with type 2 diabetes get the newer and more expensive insulin products. In Europe, insulin costs about a sixth of what it does here. In the US, we have the private sector and a free market for drug pricing, so perhaps this is a warning for the NHS as the politicians consider its future?​

My oldest has an old high school friend with three type 1 kids. What are people like that supposed to do so CEOs can get there multi-million dollar bonus?

For purposes of the subsidy, would drawing from a retirement account or other source (but not working) be considered income in a way that would affect said subsidy?

For purposes of the subsidy, would drawing from a retirement account or other source (but not working) be considered income in a way that would affect said subsidy?

If it's income on your tax return, then it counts against the subsidy. Otherwise, no.

Insulin is seven to 10 times more expensive in the U.S. compared with other countries around the world. The same vial of insulin that cost $21 in the U.S. in 1996 now costs upward of $250. But it takes only an estimated $2 to $4 to produce a vial of insulin.

Here is a 2016 article on insulin https://www.pcdsociety.org/resource...investing-in-the-future-or-just-price-gouging:

In 2014, the big three insulin giants made more than $12 billion in profits. According to a recent New York Times article, the same big three have simultaneously been hiking their prices. From 2010 to 2015, the price of Lantus (Sanofi) went up by 168%, Levemir (Novo Nordisk) by 169% and Humulin R U-500 (Eli Lilly) by 325% (Lipska, 2016). Currently in the US, there is no generic insulin, and over 90% of privately insured patients with type 2 diabetes get the newer and more expensive insulin products. In Europe, insulin costs about a sixth of what it does here. In the US, we have the private sector and a free market for drug pricing, so perhaps this is a warning for the NHS as the politicians consider its future?​

My oldest has an old high school friend with three type 1 kids. What are people like that supposed to do so CEOs can get there multi-million dollar bonus?
When did insulin become RX only?

When was everyone required to carry insurance?

I sold a lot of bottles of insulin for less than $20. Hell…I even sold Iletin II. I don’t think old man Byrd ever went to the doctor. Came in and bought insulin. He was in his 80s.

Cause and effect is always interesting.

I doubt their insulin price is capped.

When did insulin become RX only?

When was everyone required to carry insurance?

I sold a lot of bottles of insulin for less than $20. Hell…I even sold Iletin II. I don’t think old man Byrd ever went to the doctor. Came in and bought insulin. He was in his 80s.

Cause and effect is always interesting.

I saw an article that said only Indiana requires a prescription, and linked this article

I don't know why Indiana has a strange law compared to everyone else.

It has always been true that CPAPS require a prescription for unknown reasons. One of the big CPAP shops had a note from the owner asking people to contact their representative to change that, even though it would put him out of business because he could not compete with WalMart OTC.

Why does Indiana require a prescription for insulin?

I saw an article that said only Indiana requires a prescription, and linked this article

It has always been true that CPAPS require a prescription for unknown reasons. One of the big CPAP shops had a note from the owner asking people to contact their representative to change that, even though it would put him out of business because he could not compete with WalMart OTC.

Because Indiana is a backwards state?

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

Who knows…but dollars to doughnuts a lawsuit was involved. Hell….every nebulizer I’ve seen in the last 2 years is marked RX only.

The price comes down immediately if it’s available otc. Just look at Claritin, Allegra, Zyrtec, Flonase, Nexium…on and on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT