ADVERTISEMENT

The Debt Ceiling

I'd be shocked if the Dems didn't vote for it.

I'm also thinking that Biden gave McCarthy assurances that Dems would either vote for or simply abstain from voting if the so called FC tried to oust him.

I think abstaining from voting accomplishes the same thing.

I'm not pissed but I would have preferred that Biden stood and said this isn't negotiable and then if we defaulted activate the 14th.

Then if the pubs wanted to sue him for it (which would be weird but okay) leave it up to the conservative courts to make the final call....as the amendment clearly states:

'The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned'

Seems pretty cut and dry.

So yeah, let's the conservative courts decide the fate of sending the global economy in a tailspin and be the scapegoat if it chooses to do so.

I believe people would better understand that but Dems never play hardball and tend to shit on those they say they are defending in the name of 'good faith bipartisanship' which rarely seems to extend back.

the problem for liberals, is that the DNC and their media are controlled by the same moneyed interests that have owned the economic conservatives for 100 yrs.

everyone corresponds socially liberal with economically liberal.

they have exactly zero in common but the term "liberal", which means something totally different on economic matters than it does on social matters..

social liberals and conservatives in DC are fairly evenly split.

economic liberals are far outnumbered by economic conservatives.

when govt can be bought, 100% chance it will be.

thus it was, including many with Ds next to their name..

this isn't the same pro working class Dem party that mostly controlled both the house and senate for over 40 yrs.

thus why it doesn't consistently control both houses any more. and why it's economic agenda isn't necessarily pro working class when it does.

and why the white working class abandoned it and went Trump seeing no other option, after it totally abandoned them.

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyCracker
the problem for liberals, is that the DNC and their media are controlled by the same moneyed interests that have owned the economic conservatives for 100 yrs.

everyone corresponds socially liberal with economically liberal.

they have exactly zero in common but the term "liberal", which means something totally different on economic matters than it does on social matters..

social liberals and conservatives in DC are fairly evenly split.

economic liberals are far outnumbered by economic conservatives.

when govt can be bought, 100% chance it will be.

thus it was, including many with Ds next to their name..

this isn't the same pro working class Dem party that mostly controlled both the house and senate for over 40 yrs.

thus why it doesn't consistently control both houses any more. and why it's economic agenda isn't necessarily pro working class when it does.

and why the white working class abandoned it and went Trump seeing no other option, after it totally abandoned them.
What did you say?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: DANC and Lucy01
You mean the clawbacks of unallocated Covid Funds?

BTW, your sleight of hand to call them "spending levels" is noted. You're not the unbiased observer like you pretend to be.
“TITLE I—RESCISSION OF
Sec. 1. Rescission of unobligated funds.
Sec. 2. Rescission of unobligated funds.
Sec. 3. Rescission of unobligated funds.…. I‘ll fix my misspelling

McCarthy called them spending levels … it seems fair use to me.

Reactions: DANC
But don't a VAT tax make more poor people pay more taxes unless they get some kind of No VAT tax card or something to exempt them.
To make it work. People below a certain level of income would get a monthly payment to ensure they aren’t paying too much VAT.

Without removing the ignore I'm guessing: " Moneyed Interests"
Don’t know. I refuse to read as long as he posts in a way that is very hard to read. I think it’s very disrespectful to post that way. If he’d honestly explain, in normal written English, why he does that I’d really appreciate it. I’ve asked, but he refuses.

The VAT tax will happen eventually. You know why.... because politicians see all that Roth money that was never supposed to be tax and the VAT tax is a way to get taxes out of it even though a lot of it has been taxed before.
VAT is a bane of European life. Many here may remember when the price of your favorite candy bar went down when because federal excise tax went away. Transnational corporations in Europe venue shop for low VAT countries, in addition to low income tax countries. Property tax rebates/abatements in the States are bad enough. If a company is losing money … how much VAT was really created. Tax income … not spending … can the loopholes: don’t add a tax deductible VAT on top of them.

Last edited:
Liek I said, I trust you and I'll always have your back, but damn. It seems we just keep accepting 90% losses in ever battle. Pretty damn soon there's no more politicking when our people suck at it this bad.
Well, look at it this way - Biden and the Dems said they'd never negotiate to get the debt ceiling raised.

They caved, because McCarthy scored big with his legislation and Dem polling showed the voters were going to blame them for the whole situation.

It's a win - take it.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I'd be shocked if the Dems didn't vote for it.

I'm also thinking that Biden gave McCarthy assurances that Dems would either vote for or simply abstain from voting if the so called FC tried to oust him.

I think abstaining from voting accomplishes the same thing.

I'm not pissed but I would have preferred that Biden stood and said this isn't negotiable and then if we defaulted activate the 14th.

Then if the pubs wanted to sue him for it (which would be weird but okay) leave it up to the conservative courts to make the final call....as the amendment clearly states:

'The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned'

Seems pretty cut and dry.

So yeah, let's the conservative courts decide the fate of sending the global economy in a tailspin and be the scapegoat if it chooses to do so.

I believe people would better understand that but Dems never play hardball and tend to shit on those they say they are defending in the name of 'good faith bipartisanship' which rarely seems to extend back.
Your last paragraph is a laughable and totally opposite of reality.

To make it work. People below a certain level of income would get a monthly payment to ensure they aren’t paying too much VAT.
There is already an earned income credit … which can be added to a monthly or weekly paycheck…
Extending it for VAT … is more complication than seems to be needed.

Your idea of a VAT is a proven loser. A European model should never be used if the goal is to grow the economy.

Great for supporting a welfare state, though.

Reactions: TomEric4756
Your last paragraph is a laughable and totally opposite of reality.
Well, look at it this way - Biden and the Dems said they'd never negotiate to get the debt ceiling raised.

They caved, because McCarthy scored big with his legislation and Dem polling showed the voters were going to blame them for the whole situation.

It's a win - take it.

Lol you just wrote how your political extortion worked.

I actually agree with you.

Dems are fighting a political war with horses and bayonets while complaining that the right is not fighting with the proper civility.

The right has no interest in bipartisanship. Why Dems still overvalue that vs scrapping for what's best for and will better grow/invigorate our larger base (see SCOTUS, voting rights and this terrorist negotiation) is a frustrating mystery to me.

Congrats on another win that didn't really exist.

Dems are fighting a political war with horses and bayonets while complaining that the right is not fighting with the proper civility.

The right has no interest in bipartisanship. Why Dems still overvalue that vs scrapping for what's best for and will better grow/invigorate our larger base (see SCOTUS, voting rights and this terrorist negotiation) is a frustrating mystery to me.

Even the media didn't know how to react to McCarthy's legislation. They and the Dems were banking on Republicans doing nothing and hanging them with it.

Instead, Biden and the Dems caved, because even the media couldn't support them.

It's a first in modern-day politics.

“TITLE I—RESCISSION OF
Sec. 1. Rescission of unobligated funds.
Sec. 2. Rescission of unobligated funds.
Sec. 3. Rescission of unobligated funds.…. I‘ll fix my misspelling

McCarthy called them spending levels … it seems fair use to me.
Thanks for proving my point . . . you recite the far right's line verbatim, including quoting McCarthy . . . . In case you want to know what I'm talking about your focus has been on spending, spending, spending, spending, spending, spending, spending, spending, spending . . . whereas the rescission you're talking about is solely of unobligated (unallocated) funds.

Pshaw . . . .

Your idea of a VAT is a proven loser. A European model should never be used if the goal is to grow the economy.

Great for supporting a welfare state, though.
Have to have tax revenue to pay for what we want (and unfortunately don’t want) government to do. I think abolishing all income and profit based tax and replacing it with a VAT is one possible solution. If corporations and people aren’t paying taxes the wholesale cost of goods and services should start much lower and a VAT would not be anti-growth. Texas and Florida don’t have income taxes. How’s their growth? Pretty good.

Have to have tax revenue to pay for what we want (and unfortunately don’t want) government to do. I think abolishing all income and profit based tax and replacing it with a VAT is one possible solution. If corporations and people aren’t paying taxes the wholesale cost of goods and services should start much lower and a VAT would not be anti-growth. Texas and Florida don’t have income taxes. How’s their growth? Pretty good.

stupidest post ever.

Because Dems know deep down they will get blown out next year. The party overplayed their hand and have to ram as much through as they can before Jan 20 2025.
Hmmmm I remember the famous red wave you all predicted all the way back in 2022. If anyone overplayed their hands, it’s the Republicans, and many of them know it.

Even the media didn't know how to react to McCarthy's legislation. They and the Dems were banking on Republicans doing nothing and hanging them with it.

Instead, Biden and the Dems caved, because even the media couldn't support them.

So why exactly are so many Republican politicians whining about this great victory you claim?

you and others still fail to admit reality, no matter how obvious.

the DNC is funded, thus owned, by Wall St and the rich, and have no interest what so ever in govt serving the working class over the rich and corporations.

they want the exact opposite, for obvious reasons..

it's not personal. just business.

and Comcast/MSNBC and AT&T/CNN in coordination with the DNC didn't kiil off Bernie in favor of far far right wing Hilary, (giving us Trump), then kill off Bernie for Joe Biden who they backed and funded from day one, (giving us a Pub house and less senate representation than otherwise), because they wanted corporations and billionaires taxes audited, or billionaires and corporations taxed more, or money going to the poor and elderly.

the DNC donors, Comcast, AT&T/Warner Media, etc, have no problem backing choice, gay/trans rights, immigration, womens/minority rights, because they have no financial interests in those matters, and it buys them Dem policy and candidate influence on financial things they do have an interest in.

the DNC and their media and strategists aren't really as brain dead stupid regarding messaging and strategy as they seem to be.

they are economic far right conservatives who took over the Dem party and Dem media to hedge their bets and control the party to do their bidding for them, rather than work for the working class, who's loss is their gain.

and Joe Biden works for them, just as Hilary and Bill did. and sadly, as did Obama.

not for the working class and poor and sick and elderly.

and again, it isn't personal.

it's just business.

Last edited:

the DNC is funded, thus owned, by Wall St and the rich, and have no interest what so ever in govt serving the working class over the rich and corporations.

and Comcast/MSNBC and AT&T/CNN in coordination with the DNC didn't kiil off Bernie in favor of far far right wing Hilary, (giving us Trump), then kill off Bernie for Joe Biden who they backed and funded from day one, (giving us a Pub house and less senate representation than otherwise), because they wanted corporations and billionaires taxes audited, or billionaires and corporations taxed more, or money going to the poor and elderly.

the DNC donors, Comcast, AT&T/Warner Media, etc, have no problem backing choice, gay/trans rights, immigration, womens/minority rights, because they have no financial interests in those matters, and it buys them Dem policy and candidate influence on financial things they do have an interest in.

the DNC and their media and strategists aren't really as brain dead stupid regarding messaging and strategy as they seem to be.

they are economic far right conservatives who took over the Dem party and Dem media to hedge their bets and control the party to do their bidding for them, rather than work for the working class, who's loss is their gain.

and Joe Biden works for them, just as Hilary and Bill did. and sadly, as did Obama.

it's just business.
Dear Karl Marx,

Please shut the f#ck up about anything related to economics.

Sincerely,
Everyone

P.S. it isn’t personal, it’s just business

Dear Karl Marx,

Please shut the f#ck up about anything related to economics.

Sincerely,
Everyone

P.S. it isn’t personal, it’s just business
Did he include “sock puppets” or “monied interests” too?

it's just business.

translation,

"stop exposing truths we don't want exposed".

"we hate that, and don't care that it's totally true"..

"when we say we are for "free speech", obviously we didn't mean truth that doesn't fit our agenda".

Key points on a critical column from The Nation.

What did the president get?

1. An increase in the debt ceiling, until the next election is over, at which point the game gets to be played again.

For this, Biden gave away the following previously held points of principle:

1. That the debt ceiling should be raised, when needed, without conditions.

2. That safety-net programs and tax enforcement are good and necessary.

3. That domestic discretionary spending is not actually excessive but should be at levels required to meet public purpose and national needs.

If Biden is reelected, these gifts will hobble his next administration. If he’s defeated, they set up the incoming president to use the debt ceiling to effect the full Republican agenda.

In summary:

'The debt-ceiling charade was a farce, but it reveals a tragedy. The tragedy is that the president did not want to fight. He did not want to defend any principle. He did not want to use the powers he had to protect and defend the American people. He did not want to stand with Democrats in Congress or his constituents in the Democratic Party. He wanted to be seen sitting, side by side, with the Republican speaker of the house. He wanted to get the plaudits of the pundit class, for “compromise” and for reaching a “bipartisan” deal'.

--------
As I said, you got a huge win out of nothing when you should have been politically bitch slapped. We got outplayed again and just activated the debt ceiling to be this apocalyptic pressure point going forward. We had multiple leverage points but we didn't use them because, well that's beneath our civility I guess.

I guarantee it Dems try to pull this with a republican president they will have no second thoughts on using every measure necessary to pile drive us into the ground.

Again, congrats on the win.

translation,

"stop exposing truths we don't want exposed".

"we hate that, and don't care that it's totally true"..

"when we say we are for "free speech", obviously we didn't mean truth that doesn't fit our agenda".
I see you quoted me, but I’m still not going to read your nonsensical crap so I have no idea what you posted. Post like an adult and maybe someone will take you seriously.

it's just business.
My point is simply we need to stop thinking that the game is the same as it was before Newt.

Until this Newt/Trump/Orban conservative mindset passes they have no interest in being any kind of ally....and believing in that has just caused us to take loss after loss and give away more leverage than we should if we simply would fight for our constituents first and then try for bipartisanship second.

My understanding is Obama could have called out McConnell for a failure of duty and appointed Garland (or even better appointed a super liberal to 'pile drive' the hand that McConnell played) but he was worried about setting a bad example and damaging the spirit of bipartisanship.

Of course when the tables turned, McConnell got ACB in within what...a week?

He didn't give a shit about a decorum, civility, hypocrisy or that the left was going to call him nasty names in disgust....he was that asshole that used what was available to him to completely change the courts for the next 25 to 50 years.

Anyway I agree that the economy is both parties number one concern. I don't think that's any great conspiracy. There's no greater campaign killer than a bad economy, everyone knows that.

That's the only reason why some republicans are pissed about the agreement.

They want the economy to tank under Biden by any means possible.

We all know that.

The Dem question is how do you prove we can sustain a strong economy and also ensure than we're properly looking after everyone like a government should do?

My point is simply we need to stop thinking that the game is the same as it was before Newt.

Until this Newt/Trump/Orban conservative mindset passes they have no interest in being any kind of ally....and believing in that has just caused us to take loss after loss and give away more leverage than we should if we simply would fight for our constituents first and then try for bipartisanship second.

My understanding is Obama could have called out McConnell for a failure of duty and appointed Garland (or even better appointed a super liberal to 'pile drive' the hand that McConnell played) but he was worried about setting a bad example and damaging the spirit of bipartisanship.

He didn't give a shit about a decorum, civility, hypocrisy or that the left was going to call him nasty names in disgust....he was that asshole that used what was available to him to completely change the courts for the next 25 to 50 years.

Anyway I agree that the economy is both parties number one concern. I don't think that's any great conspiracy. There's no greater campaign killer than a bad economy, everyone knows that.

We all know that.

The Dem question is how do you prove we can sustain a strong economy and also ensure than we're properly looking after everyone like a government should do?

it's just business.

Untitled.jpg

do you not grasp why the Washington Generals don't ever win?

you have a very good understanding of what needs done.

but refuse to grasp why it isn't.

wake up.

So why exactly are so many Republican politicians whining about this great victory you claim?
If the rule is as reported…Republicans should vote yes. It will improve the appropriations process….which we should all want. Will some of these snakes have to vote up or down on things they don’t want to….absolutely.

Reactions: Sope Creek and DANC
You have the perfect, observable, effects of the VAT in Europe.

It ain't that great.

I see you quoted me, but I’m still not going to read your nonsensical crap so I have no idea what you posted. Post like an adult and maybe someone will take you seriously.
I've seen him on the board for over 20 years. He's even more manic now than he was at the begining. He's not going to change.

He really used to go off the deep end when they were planning the NEZ in Memorial Stadium. Those were come classic posts.

We all know that.

The reason conservatives are pissed is because government spending increased 50+% since 2019 and the Republicans had an opportunity to do something about it, but instead settled on scaling back the budget less than 1%, while agreeing to 4 trillion more debt over the next 18 months. Biden kicked there a#%. The reality is very few Republicans are conservative.

We all know that.

How do you think McConnell was able to do that?

This is a quiz to see if you have any sense of history.

Hint: Harry Reid

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT