ADVERTISEMENT

The Atlantic article

PhyloeBedoe

Junior
Apr 30, 2007
NYC
Sorry if this has been discussed and I missed it. I know the last thing this board needs is yet another discussion about trump. Yet I found this article very interesting. The main subject being interviewed in this article is doing very well financially, but still wants to blow up everything with his vote for trump. He wants chaos. A revolution.

We spend a lot of time here discussing his and Biden’s policies, the financial state of the average voter, woke politics, inflation etc. This guy is motivated by a desire to just blow everything up and start fresh. He thinks trump will do that, and he could very well be right. Perhaps we really are on the verge of revolution. If trump wins, things will go sideways. And if trump loses, things will go sideways, and a whole lot of people want exactly that.

Sorry if this has been discussed and I missed it. I know the last thing this board needs is yet another discussion about trump. Yet I found this article very interesting. The main subject being interviewed in this article is doing very well financially, but still wants to blow up everything with his vote for trump. He wants chaos. A revolution.

We spend a lot of time here discussing his and Biden’s policies, the financial state of the average voter, woke politics, inflation etc. This guy is motivated by a desire to just blow everything up and start fresh. He thinks trump will do that, and he could very well be right. Perhaps we really are on the verge of revolution. If trump wins, things will go sideways. And if trump loses, things will go sideways, and a whole lot of people want exactly that.

i don't buy much of that - at all. what i do think is a major issue that has come to the forefront during the last 8 years is that our country is exceptionally and almost evenly divided in how we think. from health to capitalism to education to marriage. and i don't know how we reconcile that.

The article is behind a paywall but, yes, Trump's the chaos candidate for the people who want just that.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
i don't buy much of that - at all. what i do think is a major issue that has come to the forefront during the last 8 years is that our country is exceptionally and almost evenly divided in how we think. from health to capitalism to education to marriage. and i don't know how we reconcile that.

I was thinking about you specifically when I mentioned that here on the WC, that most of the points you make revolve around policy etc. I agree that those issues matter and are worth debating.

However, this article may have exposed that those debating points matter less to many/most that support trump, and that there is a certain general feeling that some people just want to ‘get the divorce’. The marriage/country is no longer worth trying to save. A vote for trump will hopefully destroy the current political system, and maybe more. His demonstrably crazy actions and daily talking points just underscore that he’s the exact right guy to blow it all up. And for the evangelicals, it’s all good, because they know god will save them. Also, they’ve got all the guns.

I was thinking about you specifically when I mentioned that here on the WC, that most of the points you make revolve around policy etc. I agree that those issues matter and are worth debating.

However, this article may have exposed that those debating points matter less to many/most that support trump, and that there is a certain general feeling that some people just want to ‘get the divorce’. The marriage/country is no longer worth trying to save. A vote for trump will hopefully destroy the current political system, and maybe more. His demonstrably crazy actions and daily talking points just underscore that he’s the exact right guy to blow it all up. And for the evangelicals, it’s all good, because they know god will save them. Also, they’ve got all the guns.
I don’t doubt some feel that way but trump isn’t their guy to effectuate anything like that. Too old. Too incompetent. Too lazy. And honestly I don’t believe he’s interested. He wants to be president to pardon himself, act like a big shot, sate his ego etc. imo

Archived link here:

The Gravy Seals.

Do they receive a get of of jail free card for being dumb and incompetent? Do you have one of these cards?
Nah.

I think this modified sentence part is close to the essence of it: "for a simmering (and likely unexpected) humiliation that many of them seem to have felt ever since high school, and maybe before." swearing loyalty to Trump. (Modifications in bold print and crossed out text.) Trump is the person on whom all humiliations get dumped, kinda like Jesus gets a lot of stuff placed his way. (You know, like the "Jesus is my boyfriend" stuff.) God forbid when they wake up and see the trouble he causes. Like the PPP that contributed to inflation, and the tax increases coming at the end of next next year because he passed tax cuts through the reconciliation process. Or the end of the economic boom that currently exists because of his budget deficits (if he is elected and cuts taxes to the current levels - Mexico ain't paying for the border wall.)

Their humiliation? The "elites" of course. Whatever that means. Seems to vary with the complaining individual's experience. It seems to mostly mean "not me." The "I didn't get the advantages of the 'elites'" is of course humiliating to them. ("Don't blame me for the mess the country is in - the pointy-headed elites - the "shitlibs" - did it." Never mind that they were the ones willing to take on solving the problems facing the country - you know, the nation's race problem, or climate change and such.)

The indication seems to be that The Donald is "elite", because he's "successful," which appears to mean he has more money than most. Never mind that he went to the only elite school that would have him or that he hasn't done squat with the money he'd been left. He and others (Musk) who believe as he does, "get it".

I don't see it, but then I'm not the guy's target audience. Or maybe I have values beyond just myself.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT