ADVERTISEMENT

Trump can't be a dictator in 4 years

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
Politico ran the story below from a Turkish reporter suggesting that based on what she has seen in Turkey, Poland, and Hungary there are enough safeguards in the US to prevent Trump from any serious dictatorial powers. Without our safety rails it took Edgeron far longer.

Don’t get me wrong — I’m not saying there’s nothing to worry about. No country should take democracy for granted and there is plenty to fear in a second Trump term. Even if Trump doesn’t turn himself into a full-on dictator, he can do a lot of damage to American society and democracy if he wants to.​
Still, four years pass quickly and even in another four years as president, Trump will not gain the organizational capacity, popular mandate, or institutional consensus to build a dictatorship or prolong his tenure past a second term. What I have seen in Turkey, Poland and Hungary suggests there is a turbulent time between the election of an illiberal leader and the establishment of a dictatorship when resistance will flourish. Any attempt at state capture by Trump will face a pushback from media, bureaucracy, major cities and the judiciary.​
The article is worth reading.

Politico ran the story below from a Turkish reporter suggesting that based on what she has seen in Turkey, Poland, and Hungary there are enough safeguards in the US to prevent Trump from any serious dictatorial powers. Without our safety rails it took Edgeron far longer.

Don’t get me wrong — I’m not saying there’s nothing to worry about. No country should take democracy for granted and there is plenty to fear in a second Trump term. Even if Trump doesn’t turn himself into a full-on dictator, he can do a lot of damage to American society and democracy if he wants to.​
Still, four years pass quickly and even in another four years as president, Trump will not gain the organizational capacity, popular mandate, or institutional consensus to build a dictatorship or prolong his tenure past a second term. What I have seen in Turkey, Poland and Hungary suggests there is a turbulent time between the election of an illiberal leader and the establishment of a dictatorship when resistance will flourish. Any attempt at state capture by Trump will face a pushback from media, bureaucracy, major cities and the judiciary.​

Duh

The trump danger nonsense is pure nonsense. In addition to the layers of safeguards to prevent same he’s just not that guy. Too old. Too fat. Too tired. Too incompetent. Too incapable of that level of sophistication and organization. He just wants to be prez to feel like a big shot, pardon himself and date his ego. The far left threat to democracy is irrational paranoia. His team were at four seasons lawn care

Last edited:
The trump danger nonsense is pure nonsense. In addition to the layers of safeguards to prevent same he’s just not that guy. Too old. Too fat. Too tired. Too incompetent. Too incapable of that level of sophistication and organization. He just wants to be prez to feel like a big shot, pardon himself and date his ego. The far left threat to democracy is irrational paranoia
There are plenty of other reasons to leverage in an argument about why the guy shouldn't be elected.
I've never understood the fascist dictator in waiting reasoning.

Characterizing Poland or Hungary as dictatorships is horseshit. Maybe their governments are more illiberal than ours, although this current administration is pretty intent on changing that.

No one should read that article.
Given he has a state of emergency that allows him to rule by decree totally bypassing the legislature, I'm not sure what else to call it. What is missing from being a dictatorship?

Reactions: Bill4411
The trump danger nonsense is pure nonsense. In addition to the layers of safeguards to prevent same he’s just not that guy. Too old. Too fat. Too tired. Too incompetent. Too incapable of that level of sophistication and organization. He just wants to be prez to feel like a big shot, pardon himself and date his ego. The far left threat to democracy is irrational paranoia. His team were at four seasons lawn care

What does his 215 pound weight have anything to do with it?

Given he has a state of emergency that allows him to rule by decree totally bypassing the legislature, I'm not sure what else to call it. What is missing from being a dictatorship?

Not to mention his restrictions on the opposition press...

That's precisely why even those that don't like Trump, aren't getting our panties bunched over it.

He is a buffoon and con man. He only wants to be president because of his ego. Also it's a way to grift money from his supporters and the government. I.E. using campaign funds to pay for pretty much everything and then directing to foreign agents to stay at Trump owned hotels when in country.

He probably wishes he could be President for life and no doubt his cult thinks that too. Fortunately can't and he won't.

All due respect,

Star Trek Kirk GIF

I think this bigger and more difficult question from Dems is to decide on the right tactical means for the moment.

Pubs have chosen to go full on obstructionists with Gingrich in the 90's. That's where the so called 'guardrails' started to be sabotaged. I mean Reagan was as conservative as you can be and he openly admitted that one of his closest friends in DC was Tip O Neil....and then Gingrich came along in the 90's and really started demonizing his rivals and encouraging political tribalism, with strong results (particularly in donations).

DeLay continued it on but added with 'do everything we can that's as close to being legally allowed' mindset.

No surprise that filibustering skyrocketed along with the use of executive orders. Government shutdowns increased and we multiple times went to the wire on the debt ceiling (while also having our credit rating lowered for the first time) thanks to the obstructionist mindset.

The big question democrats have to ask is do we continue to believe that negotiating and working across the aisle is the proper way and we'll be rewarded with independent and now 'rino' support?

Or do we say f#$k it and strongly lean more into our current tent and fight back with the similar tactics knowing we have a much bigger base along with a large demography advantage over the next 20 years? Should we obstruct everything, spew vicious personal attacks, create a more powerful propaganda echo chamber just spewing filth, lies and innuendo and really demonize our political 'enemies' along with anyone who claims to be a pub. Do we also obstruct everything? Do we not agree unless we get 100% of what we want? No more compromising, 100% obstructing!!
If any dem is even seen negotiating with a pub....cast them out!

While tempting in today's climate....that's not democracy either and if we go all in on the demigoging, that will stress the guardrails even more.

But how do you maneuver when one side has basically said they don't care about snowflake things like rules of engagement and decorum?

How do Dems punch back effectively but not hurting our democracy?

I think we're at a crossroads.

I think this bigger and more difficult question from Dems is to decide on the right tactical means for the moment.

Pubs have chosen to go full on obstructionists with Gingrich in the 90's. That's where the so called 'guardrails' started to be sabotaged. I mean Reagan was as conservative as you can be and he openly admitted that one of his closest friends in DC was Tip O Neil....and then Gingrich came along in the 90's and really started demonizing his rivals and encouraging political tribalism, with strong results (particularly in donations).

DeLay continued it on but added with 'do everything we can that's as close to being legally allowed' mindset.

No surprise that filibustering skyrocketed along with the use of executive orders. Government shutdowns increased and we multiple times went to the wire on the debt ceiling (while also having our credit rating lowered for the first time) thanks to the obstructionist mindset.

The big question democrats have to ask is do we continue to believe that negotiating and working across the aisle is the proper way and we'll be rewarded with independent and now 'rino' support?

Or do we say f#$k it and strongly lean more into our current tent and fight back with the similar tactics knowing we have a much bigger base along with a large demography advantage over the next 20 years? Should we obstruct everything, spew vicious personal attacks, create a more powerful propaganda echo chamber just spewing filth, lies and innuendo and really demonize our political 'enemies' along with anyone who claims to be a pub. Do we also obstruct everything? Do we not agree unless we get 100% of what we want? No more compromising, 100% obstructing!!
If any dem is even seen negotiating with a pub....cast them out!

While tempting in today's climate....that's not democracy either and if we go all in on the demigoging, that will stress the guardrails even more.

But how do you maneuver when one side has basically said they don't care about snowflake things like rules of engagement and decorum?

How do Dems punch back effectively but not hurting our democracy?

I think we're at a crossroads.
It’s like you only get certain news feeds. Complete joke with the incessant partisanship. Squad seem like they want to reach across the aisle. Biden’s executive orders? Trying to force vaccines? Have you forgotten Bork? Good grief.

Rush
Bork
Newt
News as entertainment
Social media

Both parties culpable. Hillary still calls trump the illegitimate president. Do you just read republicans are evil? Absurdly stupid post - per usual

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1, NPT and DANC
It’s like you only get certain news feeds. Complete joke with the incessant partisanship. Squad seem like they want to reach across the aisle. Biden’s executive orders? Trying to force vaccines? Have you forgotten Bork? Good grief.

Rush
Bork
Newt
News as entertainment
Social media

Both parties culpable. Hillary still calls trump the illegitimate president. Do you just read republicans are evil? Absurdly stupid post - per usual
The government has grown 25-30% the last 4 years and Tommy thinks Republicans are full obstructionists 😂 I wish Republicans were as scary and disagreeable as Tommy thinks.

Last edited:
Reactions: jet812 and DANC
The government has grown almost 25-30% the last 4 years and Tommy thinks Republicans are full obstructionists 😂 I wish Republicans were 1/10th of scary and disagreeable as Tommy thinks.
It’s just so ****ing stupid. Hyper ridiculous partisanship. Make the border way worse than cry about republicans. God love our libs. Anyway. Now listen. You and @Joe_Hoopsier are going to have to run the dream team starting tomorrow. I’m going to do an all gas no brakes February for work so I can go back to goofing around when spring hits. I have a ton of miserable travel and I’m going to try some fasting. I’ll be in no mood to post. DANC is on vacation with some iu thing the school is likely funding him to fix, but hoops and Matt and Spartans and all the rest will be around. I’ll check in but mostly be Mia for the month

Look into the whereabouts of Indianaftw, Cray, and mas. And of course IGW

There are plenty of other reasons to leverage in an argument about why the guy shouldn't be elected.
I've never understood the fascist dictator in waiting reasoning.
Trump may have as much chance of being a dictator as the Jan 6ers had at insurrection, but there is valid concern that he would still give it the old college try anyway.

Even in the likelihood that our safe guards would prevent him from having success, it would continue to erode what is left.

Trump doesn't seem that connected to reality that he would show constraint

It’s just so ****ing stupid. Hyper ridiculous partisanship. Make the border way worse than cry about republicans. God love our libs. Anyway. Now listen. You and @Joe_Hoopsier are going to have to run the dream team starting tomorrow. I’m going to do an all gas no brakes February for work so I can go back to goofing around when spring hits. I have a ton of miserable travel and I’m going to try some fasting. I’ll be in no mood to post. DANC is on vacation with some iu thing the school is likely funding him to fix, but hoops and Matt and Spartans and all the rest will be around. I’ll check in but mostly be Mia for the month

I’ll fight and protect the Dream Team like they did the Alamo. We’ll be ransacked by Valentine’s Day.

Trump may have as much chance of being a dictator as the Jan 6ers had at insurrection, but there is valid concern that he would still give it the old college try anyway.

Even in the likelihood that our safe guards would prevent him from having success, it would continue to erode what is left.

Trump doesn't seem that connected to reality that he would show constraint
I could be a dictator on Fifth Avenue and get away with it!

Reactions: IU_Hickory

Fasting sucks.

• Haha
Reactions: NPT

Rush
Bork
Newt
News as entertainment
Social media

I'm saying maybe dems stop worrying about 'saving democracy' since you constantly say it's not in any jeopardy and has strong guardrails and start really playing to win and snuff out your political desires altogether?

You know, the Newt way that he set back in the 90's?

Obstructing, demonizing, going as far as we legally can to disenfranchise.

Maybe then we can prevent pubs from spreading more death and misery like you tend to do.

For example, 64,500 rape pregnancies were forced to give birth in 14 Republican states with strict abortion bans since 2022? Nice job. Pure misery based on stupidity. I'm sure you're daughter appreciates that work.

Republicans are pushing to lower the labor age. Florida is pushing to lower it to 16. Wanna guess why that is (hint it has something to do with demonizing immigrants).

'Hey mom I'll be home late because I have school (taught by a Vietnam veteran because of a self inflicted teacher shortage) then football practice and then I have to go pick the tomatoes in the fields for 6 hours.'

Pure misery.

That's your guy right? The guy who led the country in covid deaths after vaccines became available because he was getting on Fox news more for doing the exact things that started this conversation... obstructing, demonizing and using every available lever of power to try to eradicate the other?

That guy?

I'm saying maybe dems stop worrying about 'saving democracy' since you constantly say it's not in any jeopardy and has strong guardrails and start really playing to win and snuff out your political desires altogether?

You know, the Newt way that he set back in the 90's?

Obstructing, demonizing, going as far as we legally can to disenfranchise.

Maybe then we can prevent pubs from spreading more death and misery like you tend to do.

For example, 64,500 rape pregnancies were forced to give birth in 14 Republican states with strict abortion bans since 2022? Nice job. Pure misery based on stupidity. I'm sure you're daughter appreciates that work.

Republicans are pushing to lower the labor age. Florida is pushing to lower it to 16. Wanna guess why that is (hint it has something to do with demonizing immigrants).

'Hey mom I'll be home late because I have school (taught by a Vietnam veteran because of a self inflicted teacher shortage) then football practice and then I have to go pick the tomatoes in the fields for 6 hours.'

Pure misery.

That's your guy right? The guy who led the country in covid deaths after vaccines became available because he was getting on Fox news more for doing the exact things that started this conversation... obstructing, demonizing and using every available lever of power to try to eradicate the other?

That guy?
The guy who is gov of the state that people and businesses left the states you love to move to? The guy who has the tenth ranked state in the country and won re-election by the largest margin in 4 decades. The guy who believes in funding police, not destroying businesses and holding kids back with virtue signaling draconian bs Covid practices. The guy who thinks if you work for your money you should keep as much as possible and not give it all to the gov?

That guy? I could go on and on and on. Your progressive woke bs politicians destroy cities. Pick a topic. Progressives get it wrong. Pick a city where the bs you believe in is implemented and see how it’s doing. San Fran? I’ll take Desantis in a heartbeat

The guy who is gov of the state that people who left the states you love to move to? The guy who has the tenth ranked state in the country and won re-election by the largest margin in 4 decades. The guy who believes in funding police, not destroying businesses and holding kids back with virtue signaling draconian bs Covid practices. The guy who thinks if you work for your money you should keep as much as possible and not give it all to the gov?

That guy? I could go on and on and on. Your progressive woke bs politicians destroy cities.

The guy who has three civil rights unions declaring it's not safe for them to live there?

Death and misery

The state with the 9th lowest literacy rate in 2023? Who has to turn to vets and ex police to teach because he's gone full medieval on the teacher union.

Yeah those school ranking are sure to soar as much as construction, industry and tourism have done since Ron went full Maga.

The guy who has three civil rights unions declaring it's not safe for them to live there?

Death and misery

The state with the 9th lowest literacy rate in 2023? Who has to turn to vets and ex police to teach because he's gone full medieval on the teacher union.

Yeah those school ranking are sure to soar as much as construction, industry and tourism have done since Ron went full Maga.
Civil rights unions saying it’s not safe to live there lmao. Woke bs. That’s so stupid it’s not even worth a response. Last I checked fla had more new biz growth than any state. The university system is outstanding. $6,300 for UF or any of the 11 public’s. As I said across numerous factors from education to health to crime it’s ranked tenth.

Your politics do not work. All feelings no brain. Typical progressive.

Oh and literacy rate. Calif and Ny are the worst in the country.

Death and misery

m
Ranked #1 in education

Desantis knows how to govern. Opposite of progressive bs. We saw year one of Biden and the progressives. Total disaster.

Last edited:

I've seen that before. It's 14th in K through 12 which isn't too shabby. It's overall ranking is carried by it's universities.

Which are supposedly liberal indoctrination camps (or antisemitic terrorist training centers led by vapid woke zombies who are only in their positions because they are a minority or a woman, unless they are white dudes. In that case they totally earned their promotion but suffer from the woke mind virus and need to be eradicated or something).

Ron went full crazy Maga in 2021 iirc, we have yet to see the damage he has caused.

I've seen that before. It's 14th in K through 12 which isn't too shabby. It's overall ranking is carried by it's universities.

Which are supposedly liberal indoctrination camps (or antisemitic terrorist training centers led by vapid woke zombies who are only in their positions because they are a minority or a woman, unless they are white dudes. In that case they totally earned their promotion but suffer from the woke mind virus and need to be eradicated or something).

Ron went full crazy Maga in 2021 iirc, we have yet to see the damage he has caused.
Yes lol like becoming the fastest growing state in the country since the 50s. Winning re-election by the largest margin in four decades. Having a top ten ranked state across numerous measures that has attracted both tech and finance.

You’re speaking with feelings and ignoring facts. The politics you support is San Fran and it’s a disaster

Reactions: Spartans9312

Rush
Bork
Newt
News as entertainment
Social media

Like a Cosmic with shorter paragraphs.

• Haha
Reactions: NPT
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT