Seyton

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2001
Naperville, IL
In the 10 years before that IU was 181-142; 83-91

In the 10 years before that IU was 185-108; 84-64

The past 30 years: 559-385; 261-251

That's right, folks. In the past 30 years IU is only 10 games over .500 in the Big Ten and its average season is 19-13.

This is all those who are 45-years-old and under have ever known. This is why so much of the fanbase thinks Mike Woodson, with a career record of 61-39, 30-29 is good. Because we actually got into the tournament the past two years - which considering the previous 18 years was good, because we'd only been seven times.

It's why urgency matters. The number of people who remember consistently good teams ramping up to excellence in two to three to four year cycles is dwindling. I'm on the very tail end of it and I'm 51. The thing is, Dolson, Buckner, and the donors are all older, all know this and yet they are the ones showing the least amount of urgency. The ones you'd expect to understand and know the most and therefore lead don't and aren't. Incompetence is even worse when mixed with neglect.

Let the legacy of Buckner and Woodson be they ultimately cared more about themselves than they do Indiana basketball. Those awful donors holding up things? That they were merely Bobby Knight fans and not Indiana fans.

30 years of average and yet some knucklehead was arguing earlier this year on this forum that IU was still a "blue blood." Between this and Woodson going 0-31 on recruits, I don't know what's more depressing. And then someone pointed out to me that Roger Maris' 61 home run season is closer in years (26) to the 1987 championship than we are today (37).

That's right, folks. In the past 30 years IU is only 10 games over .500 in the Big Ten and its average season is 19-13.

This is all those who are 45-years-old and under have ever known. This is why so much of the fanbase thinks Mike Woodson, with a career record of 61-39, 30-29 is good. Because we actually got into the tournament the past two years - which considering the previous 18 years was good, because we'd only been seven times.

It's why urgency matters. The number of people who remember consistently good teams ramping up to excellence in two to three to four year cycles is dwindling. I'm on the very tail end of it and I'm 51. The thing is, Dolson, Buckner, and the donors are all older, all know this and yet they are the ones showing the least amount of urgency. The ones you'd expect to understand and know the most and therefore lead don't and aren't. Incompetence is even worse when mixed with neglect.

Let the legacy of Buckner and Woodson be they ultimately cared more about themselves than they do Indiana basketball. Those awful donors holding up things? That they were merely Bobby Knight fans and not Indiana fans.
This is a very sobering post. Our program is the definition of mediocracy.

This might win the award for best post ever typed here. The numbers are mind boggling. Having seen Knight’s teams up close from his first year in Bloomington, I never would have imagined we’d fall to this depth. EVER. Terribly depressing.

I’m pretty confident Buckner loves turd sandwiches as long as he’s getting rich eating them. And Woody helps him wash them down with wine and cigars.
Usually the more bread you have the less shit you eat but in this case CMW keeps producing so much that Quinn may have to bring in Joey Chestnut as an eating consultant.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT