ADVERTISEMENT

An uninspiring hire has produced uninspired results - OPINION

Seyton

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2001
Naperville, IL
Take it from someone who's seen DePaul's fall from the 70s and 80s. Once you start sliding you better fight to the death for the results you once had and expected.

I've been one to point out that during Knight's tenure it wasn't just a straight line across in terms of 25-win seasons, which were much more impressive back then. It was mostly on a three- and four-year cycle to elite.

Now? We are 259-249 in the conference in the last 30 years. We've had single digit losses in a season only four times during that span.

People who are reasonably old, like 40 years old, have never seen what people only 10 years older, like me (OK, 11) saw and people 15-20 years older saw consistently. Now, it seems the majority of people are saying the tournament is good enough. As in, "Woody got us to the tournament two years in a row." He was 21-14 and 23-12 in those years.

That is awful. Yet, that's good to too many people.

The standard is the standard - until it's not. This is what the IU admin simply has not understood during their 30-year walk in the wilderness.

It's almost gone. The last 10 years? 192-135. 93-96 in the conference. It's such that a lot of people think that now we need patience in getting back to... what exactly?

No, we need urgency. Urgency to get back to standards and levels that, unfortunately, an ever-shrinking pool of supporters remember, aspire to and demand.

I don't think people really understand how far away we are and how long it's been. It's not a matter of, "We better fix this before we lose it". It's, "It's gone - and we need to get it back."

Woodson's not the answer. X isn't the missing piece. It's a little bit better version of Mike Davis. It's a little bit better version than Archie. We all know it. Not just because of the record but because of the basketball we see. The horrible IQ and lack of fundamentals consistently not corrected. Horrible scheme and philosophy. Idiot subbing patterns until the media calls get too loud. Idiot decision making in the auto-benchings, again, until the media calls get too loud. The roster totally devoid of any meaningful guards, point and shooting. Bad basketball. Bad roster. Meet the new guy. Same as the old guy.

It's bad. We know it's bad. Fix it. Now. Why wait? Wait for what? 19-13? 15-16? Is there a difference? Bad basketball. Bad roster. Meet the new guy. Same as the old guy.

wow, only 10 games above .500 in the conference. Without going back and crunching numbers, does that mean we are actually a sub .500 conf program since RMK's dismissal? Has to be close.

I've tried to teach my kids, when all else fails, eliminate the emotion and rely on the math. Numbers don't lie or distort or get clouded by prejudice, and they compensate for a lack of memory.

Take it from someone who's seen DePaul's fall from the 70s and 80s. Once you start sliding you better fight to the death for the results you once had and expected.

I've been one to point out that during Knight's tenure it wasn't just a straight line across in terms of 25-win seasons, which were much more impressive back then. It was mostly on a three- and four-year cycle to elite.

Now? We are 259-249 in the conference in the last 30 years. We've had single digit losses in a season only four times during that span.

People who are reasonably old, like 40 years old, have never seen what people only 10 years older, like me (OK, 11) saw and people 15-20 years older saw consistently. Now, it seems the majority of people are saying the tournament is good enough. As in, "Woody got us to the tournament two years in a row." He was 21-14 and 23-12 in those years.

The standard is the standard - until it's not. This is what the IU admin simply has not understood during their 30-year walk in the wilderness.

It's almost gone. The last 10 years? 192-135. 93-96 in the conference. It's such that a lot of people think that now we need patience in getting back to... what exactly?

No, we need urgency. Urgency to get back to standards and levels that, unfortunately, an ever-shrinking pool of supporters remember, aspire to and demand.

I don't think people really understand how far away we are and how long it's been. It's not a matter of, "We better fix this before we lose it". It's, "It's gone - and we need to get it back."

Woodson's not the answer. X isn't the missing piece. It's a little bit better version of Mike Davis. It's a little bit better version than Archie. We all know it. Not just because of the record but because of the basketball we see. The horrible IQ and lack of fundamentals consistently not corrected. Horrible scheme and philosophy. Idiot subbing patterns until the media calls get too loud. Idiot decision making in the auto-benchings, again, until the media calls get too loud. The roster totally devoid of any meaningful guards, point and shooting. Bad basketball. Bad roster. Meet the new guy. Same as the old guy.

It's bad. We know it's bad. Fix it. Now. Why wait? Wait for what? 19-13? 15-16? Is there a difference? Bad basketball. Bad roster. Meet the new guy. Same as the old guy.
Truer words were never spoken.

wow, only 10 games above .500 in the conference. Without going back and crunching numbers, does that mean we are actually a sub .500 conf program since RMK's dismissal? Has to be close.

I've tried to teach my kids, when all else fails, eliminate the emotion and rely on the math. Numbers don't lie or distort or get clouded by prejudice, and they compensate for a lack of memory.

Yes, we are. In the 23 seasons since Knight was fired we are 433-317 overall, 202-209 in the conference.

Basically, the last 23 years we've been 18-14 every year.

#BrucetoBloomington

Why when we have an over the hill former IU supserstar player who only has at best two more seasons in the tank? lol. Oh, and CJ Gunn/Gane Cupps backcourt. I say we go all in on Bruce baby and tell him to give us 4 memorable basketball seasons in a row and take it from there.
Can you imagine what pearl could do with the resources he would have ln Bloomington?

Our administration is akin to an addict.

They just haven't hit "rock bottom" ... they don't see it the way that you do or I do or they way many on this site do. Not sure how they see it.

I do have a glimmer of hope brought on by the hire of our new football coach. Yeah. He hasn't won anything here yet...but he's clearly the kind of coach that has won...has built...and one can easily believe will do what is necessary here at IU to. win.

I hope the IUFB hire is an indication that the administration recognizes the situation...and the timing...

We are at an inflection point in college athletics. Sitting on our hands and accepting mediocrity is not an option.

We shall see.

I love a therapeutic rant as much as the next guy, but what is the answer? Everyone wants to win. There's no distinction in that. Being willing to do what it takes to win is what is needed. At what point in the last 20 years has IU displayed such a willingness? Why would you expect that a coaching change today would produce anything different than the last 5 coaching changes?

Here's a spoiler. The administration that brought us Mike Woodson isn't going to bring us Bruce Pearl, or [fill in wish list coach here]. IU as an institution just doesn't prioritize sports in the way that we would like to think. Fifty years of football futility should provide evidence of that. They say good is the enemy of great. IU will always be happy to be just good enough, and today making the 68 team field more often than not is good enough for those who decide.

Let's not forget the administration vowed to emphasize academics over athletics, so we have that going against us now. This current mindset, whatever it actually means, if anything, doesn't make the transformation back to athletic greatness any easier. Back in more tolerable times, Knight was given freer reign to teach as he saw fit, his ultra-demanding style of excellence, which the more modern, present day woke establishment no longer deems acceptable behavior. Times have changed and without Knight's disciplined edge, we no longer distinguish our program from the multitude of others. Sure, we still get great athletes to commit, but so do a lot of other programs because there are a lot of great athletes out there. What IU lacks is great athletes with mental toughness. If you want tough players to represent your school's team, you need a tough-minded coach who takes no sh*t. We had one for 29 years until someone decided we would be better off without him. They made him out to be a bad person by putting him in an impossible situation, dubbed Zero Tolerance. IU basketball fans have been, for the most part, miserable ever since with no end in sight.

Last edited:

They just haven't hit "rock bottom" ... they don't see it the way that you do or I do or they way many on this site do. Not sure how they see it.

I do have a glimmer of hope brought on by the hire of our new football coach. Yeah. He hasn't won anything here yet...but he's clearly the kind of coach that has won...has built...and one can easily believe will do what is necessary here at IU to. win.

I hope the IUFB hire is an indication that the administration recognizes the situation...and the timing...

We are at an inflection point in college athletics. Sitting on our hands and accepting mediocrity is not an option.

We shall see.
Yes. And I think it's more a result of the new President than the AD. She's a sports fan, much more than McRobbie was.

We shall see.
When the season is concluded it won't take long before we know how serious this administration is in regards to the basketball program.

Yes. And I think it's more a result of the new President than the AD. She's a sports fan, much more than McRobbie was.
Pam is an upgrade. McRobbie had zero interest at best in sports. Probably disliked them. I think he wanted the jerseys to include campus location, so IUBB jerseys would have “Indiana-Bloomington” on them lol.

I’m disappointed Pam doesn’t seem too interested in a bball coach change yet from what I’ve heard.

I love a therapeutic rant as much as the next guy, but what is the answer? Everyone wants to win. There's no distinction in that. Being willing to do what it takes to win is what is needed. At what point in the last 20 years has IU displayed such a willingness? Why would you expect that a coaching change today would produce anything different than the last 5 coaching changes?

Here's a spoiler. The administration that brought us Mike Woodson isn't going to bring us Bruce Pearl, or [fill in wish list coach here]. IU as an institution just doesn't prioritize sports in the way that we would like to think. Fifty years of football futility should provide evidence of that. They say good is the enemy of great. IU will always be happy to be just good enough, and today making the 68 team field more often than not is good enough for those who decide.

The answer, as it pertains to the basketball program, is obvious.

The will, desire and ability, as you eluded to, is not.

All we can do is lay it out. It's not ours to act upon. If it was it'd be done already and a long time ago.

Let's not forget the admiistration vowed to emphasize academics over athletics, so we have that going against us now. This current mindset, whatever it actually means, if anything, doesn't make the transformation back to athletic greatness any easier. Back in more tolerable times, Knight was given freer reign to teach as he saw fit, his ultra-demanding style of excellence, which the more modern, present day woke establishment no longer deems acceptable behavior. Times have changed and without Knight's disciplined edge, we no longer distinguish our program from the multitude of others. Sure, we still get great athletes to commit, but so do a lot of other programs because there are a lot of great athletes out there. What IU lacks is great athletes with mental toughness. If you want tough players to represent your school's team, you need a tough-minded coach who takes no sh*t. We had one for 29 years until someone decided we would be better off without him. They made him out to be a bad person by putting him in an impossible situation, dubbed Zero Tolerance. IU basketball fans have been, for the most part, miserable ever since with no end in sight.
I'm not sure about the woke part. there was a rumor a couple of the players wanted to wear blouses instead of jerseys and got denied.

Dolson isn't Fred Glass. He's a former IU basketball manager. The hires haven't been as bad at the time as people make out. Davis should've been canned in 2001 and Pitino or Alford brought in but the race hustlers won out as it wouldn't have been fair to Davis. Then the 2002 run happened. Sampson was an amazing coach who would've killed it here. Wasn't fired for poor coaching. Crean was probably the best we could do in the wake of Sampson's dumpster fire. The plan was always for him to get us back to respectability and then cut him loose. But he landed Cody Zeller which ended up giving him another 5-6 years.

Archie was considered the next big thing in college basketball by many analysts. He turned out to be a turd but it was hard to know that at the time. Woody is the one hire that was a real head scratcher as there wasn't another college basketball program that would've hired him. The truth is Dolson thought he had Stevens in the bag. When that fell through he was caught with his pants down and that gave Quinn the perfect opportunity to slide in his buddy. In other words, we had the worst luck possible the past 20 plus years. The next hire will be the best one we've made since Knight was fired. Book it.

Thanks for titling it correctly as “opinion” so I didn’t have to read it.

• Love
Reactions: Radio Zero
Can you imagine what pearl could do with the resources he would have ln Bloomington?
Its a good question. I honestly don't know how much more NIL money IU has for bball than Auburn does for bball? Assuming its more, I would think Pearl would very quickly assemble a very talented squad. One that IU fans would love to watch and follow. They'd defend like crazy, and shoot the 3 from all over the place.

He seems like a guy that would also embrace the State of Indiana too. I would think he'd become pretty active in the Indiana HS and AAU scene. It gets talked about a lot on here, the "need" to have Indiana kids on the roster. I don't think its necessary to win big...but not making an effort in Indiana is passing up on a huge potential advantage and opportunity. Pearl would know this, I'm sure. He'd quickly start dominating Indiana recruiting, AND would get top 100 and portal kids too.

Dolson isn't Fred Glass. He's a former IU basketball manager. The hires haven't been as bad at the time as people make out. Davis should've been canned in 2001 and Pitino or Alford brought in but the race hustlers won out as it wouldn't have been fair to Davis. Then the 2002 run happened. Sampson was an amazing coach who would've killed it here. Wasn't fired for poor coaching. Crean was probably the best we could do in the wake of Sampson's dumpster fire. The plan was always for him to get us back to respectability and then cut him loose. But he landed Cody Zeller which ended up giving him another 5-6 years.

Archie was considered the next big thing in college basketball by many analysts. He turned out to be a turd but it was hard to know that at the time. Woody is the one hire that was a real head scratcher as there wasn't another college basketball program that would've hired him. The truth is Dolson thought he had Stevens in the bag. When that fell through he was caught with his pants down and that gave Quinn the perfect opportunity to slide in his buddy. In other words, we had the worst luck possible the past 20 plus years. The next hire will be the best one we've made since Knight was fired. Book it.
Cig hire gives me some hope for Scott. I know Cig is tbd but he’s off to a good start and was very logical — basically brining an entire system here. Opposite of Woody.

As my father in law would say, I hear the wind a blowin' but I don't see the trees a bendin'.

So I'll believe it when I see it. For now I'm forced to assume that we're simply in the new normal. We're not owed anything.

Its a good question. I honestly don't know how much more NIL money IU has for bball than Auburn does for bball? Assuming its more, I would think Pearl would very quickly assemble a very talented squad. One that IU fans would love to watch and follow. They'd defend like crazy, and shoot the 3 from all over the place.

He seems like a guy that would also embrace the State of Indiana too. I would think he'd become pretty active in the Indiana HS and AAU scene. It gets talked about a lot on here, the "need" to have Indiana kids on the roster. I don't think its necessary to win big...but not making an effort in Indiana is passing up on a huge potential advantage and opportunity. Pearl would know this, I'm sure. He'd quickly start dominating Indiana recruiting, AND would get top 100 and portal kids too.
If IU were good — like competing for B1G titles and final fours, our donations and NIL would be way up from where they are now.

If IU were good — like competing for B1G titles and final fours, our donations and NIL would be way up from where they are now.
With the realities of how average we've been for 30 plus years (thanks for the perspective Seyton)...its incredible that we're as competitive NIL wise, as we are right now.

You're right...give us a couple year stretch of fun to follow basketball, with B10 Title and FF competitive teams, and our NIL capabilities would be monstrous.

I don't think Pearl is the only man for the job, or maybe even the best man for the job. But can you imagine an IU team in Assembly Hall, playing against Purdue or Illinois or whoever...that plays how his Auburn teams play? Closest thing in recent memory to it would probably be the 2 teams in 12 and 13. But even they didn't play nearly as hard or as energetic as the Auburn teams do.

Winning is really all it will take. But man...give me a coach that plays that Bruce Pearl, Nate Oats style...defense, 3s, athleticism, energy...

The answer, as it pertains to the basketball program, is obvious.

The will, desire and ability, as you eluded to, is not.

All we can do is lay it out. It's not ours to act upon. If it was it'd be done already and a long time ago.
I think the "ability" is the most challenging obstacle to overcome. None of us are paying out of pocket for the buyout, we need someone to step up. Right after asking someone to step up to buyout CTA. Horrible timing for Woody to lay an egg.

Reactions: 76-1 and Seyton
Pam is an upgrade. McRobbie had zero interest at best in sports. Probably disliked them. I think he wanted the jerseys to include campus location, so IUBB jerseys would have “Indiana-Bloomington” on them lol.

I’m disappointed Pam doesn’t seem too interested in a bball coach change yet from what I’ve heard.
Pam may be a sports fan, but that doesn’t mean she came with the same Hoosier passion for basketball. Does she get upset when IU loses? Does losing to Purdue ruin her night’s sleep such that she’s grouchy the never day? Do co-workers question if she’s on the rag?

It's bad. We know it's bad. Fix it. Now. Why wait? Wait for what? 19-13? 15-16? Is there a difference? Bad basketball. I

IU admin worked hard to destroy men's hoops. They have no intent on bringing it back to greatness. And the fans won't care soon either. So sad.

I think the "ability" is the most challenging obstacle to overcome. None of us are paying out of pocket for the buyout, we need someone to step up. Right after asking someone to step up to buyout CTA. Horrible timing for Woody to lay an egg.
And after giving Woody a 1MM raise for no reason. I'll be astonished if he's let go after the raise.

Not like I trust the US News and World Reports of the worlds but I would venture that good math would show academic reputation across departments dropping in a similar fashion to some extent over that same timeframe.
West Laffy/Tippecanoe Co - hardworking conservative Republicans, Trump

Bloomington/Monroe Co - hardcore liberal Democrats looking for handouts, Biden

Is it any wonder, the state of current affairs? One is heading north while the other faces south.

• Wow
Reactions: AceGilligan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT