ADVERTISEMENT

Now that the dust has settled and Woody is back...

I'm soon to go into my 'attempt' to quit complaining and instead fully support Coach Woodson. ( Same as I tried to do last fall for Coach Allen during the season. Although I wasn't very consistent or successful at it. )

Hey, he believes in his school and team. It looks to me like his record in the NBA got better each season. Before he was fired. So maybe he can teach.

Go Hoosiers!

I'm soon to go into my 'attempt' to quit complaining and instead fully support Coach Woodson. ( Same as I tried to do last fall for Coach Allen during the season. Although I wasn't very consistent or successful at it. )

Hey, he believes in his school and team. It looks to me like his record in the NBA got better each season. Before he was fired. So maybe he can teach.

Go Hoosiers!
To quote the great Jon Lovitz: "Yeah......that's the ticket!"

Are you back on board that Woody can put together a roster that can compete at a level you are satisfied with? Are you in the wait and see camp? Or do you believe are we just delaying the inevitable firing/resignation?
In year four he should be making the sweet sixeteen and finish top three in the big ten. I am not confident woodson can do either or those. It does not really matter how much talent he gets he just isnt very good at coaching that talent. I guess he would always prove me wrong so we shall see. If he could not make the sweek sixeteen with TJD I dont think it will ever happen. But at IU all you have to do is make the tourney and you probably get extended!

Reactions: birdforbogey
I will 💯 support whatever players decide to come here or stay on board but I cannot bring myself to support the lazy,, arrogant Coach or anyone on his lazy staff! If the players are stuck trying to play using the same lane ass offense, there is a chance we may not win 10 games next year.
Lane ass indeed, Bench Rider. Smile, things could be worse?

Are you back on board that Woody can put together a roster that can compete at a level you are satisfied with? Are you in the wait and see camp? Or do you believe are we just delaying the inevitable firing/resignation?
Ask me whenever they are done completing the roster. Without an experienced and proven PG and a good shooting 2G, they are going to be lucky to finish with a .500 record, at best. Ideally, if they get at least those two needed players, plus another decent big man, they'll probably get into the tourney. Woodson can do that, but I have no confidence they could make the Sweet 16.

Since nothing seems to have really changed other than a possible meeting with Dolson where it was explained we need to actually win some sh** next year, then we're just delaying the inevitable imo. Unless he puts together a decent roster/makes the tourney and that is viewed as enough to not make a change.

Nope. Unless he changes, we will see the same, shit.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
How many more double digit ass beatings need to be seen? Woody is an old dog playing outdated basketball, while diminutive Japanese players on Nebraska rain 3's on IU. I saw enough awhile ago, and Woody should have been s*** canned yesterday. Woody struggled against mid-majors. He has done nothing in the NCAA's and has a .500 Big Ten record: see ya!

At this point, IU's admin is committing malpractice by keeping Woody.
It's all about the Benjamin's & who is getting them.

Well, what IS it projected to look like in 1 year? Message board alarmists aren't usually very reliable predictors. I didn't see the mass exodus that everyone was telling us was inevitable. I see a new recruit that no one was expecting. Are we assuming that Woodson has learned nothing from last season?
What do you consider as mass exodus? We had 3 guys transfer and 1 go pro, and 2 graduate, while not having any recruits lined up. 7 total scholarships were open before Tucker

Next year's team is still TBD (duh), but I think it will make the tourney and maybe win a game. We aren't going to be awful and win something like 12-15 games. I doubt we have a roster with limited guards and shooting again.

It's hard for IU not to be decent. We have whatever it is: $6M+ NIL, which is top 5-10, probably closer to #5 now. We have a one of the bigger athletic department budgets for basketball (top-10 -- depends on the accounting), so IUBB can have all the staff, recruiting trips, and program luxuries money can buy. And we also pay Woody $4-4.2M, which is about #10 in the country.

IU puts a lot of resources into basketball, we won't be terrible. Our donors literally just bought Bryson Tucker for Woody. There are a lot of good players in the portal.

However, the issue is the results don't match the resources invested. It doesn't matter what Woody is doing vs. Archie or whatever underperformer we had in the past. Woody has top-10 resources and he's being paid like a top coach, so he should be delivering something around top-10/20 results.

College is different from the NBA, and I doubt Woody can learn it fast enough. Last season, year three, was the culmination of what Woody has been building, and it was worse than most people realize. Missed the tourney by a mile, the 27(!) point season ending loss to Nebraska throws into question the improvement we might have seen late in the season, and we whiffed on our three biggest recruiting targets.

I think we know Woody by now. He'll take a ton of resources and underachieve. We have too much $ at IU not to finish in the top half of the B1G and inch into the tournament and maybe win a game at most. The question will be if that works for the decision making group that is some combination of Dolson, Pam, Quinn, and our big donors. Outside of Scott, I don't see them expecting much. If he makes the tourney he is probably safe for another year.

It's too bad. With the right coach and our resources IU could be competing for B1G titles and tourney runs, which would be amazing for our players, students, school, and fans. But we don't push for that at IU. PU has been doing it for a decade with 1/2 to 2/3 the resources of IU, and they're almost certainly in the title game Monday with a 50/50 shot to get a banner in Mackey.
There is one player that has had some success and his playing style fits the Woodson offense exactly-Zach Edey.

Last edited:
What do you consider as mass exodus? We had 3 guys transfer and 1 go pro, and 2 graduate, while not having any recruits lined up. 7 total scholarships were open before Tucker
For the last decade or so the message board alarmists have been pretty darn close. But yeah only ten years of success.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Imo players transferring due to low PT is normal.

Players transferring due to the state of the program is a problem. Imo we had a mild exodus: McNeely. Donors bought a replacement pretty quickly.

Everyone knew Ware was leaving. Yes, people graduate. But the three that left were three that Woodson probably wanted to leave anyway. You know what was predicted as much as anyone else. It didn’t happen.

Reactions: T.M.P. and nichlee
Everyone knew Ware was leaving. Yes, people graduate. But the three that left were three that Woodson probably wanted to leave anyway. You know what was predicted as much as anyone else. It didn’t happen.
So why didn’t he plan for it?

Reactions: BigMobe
Lack of playing time at around the 100th best team in the country is a serious talent indictment. Who recruited these guys?

So why didn’t he plan for it?

You're moving the goalposts around. I pointed out that the predicted mass exodus did not happen. It has nothing to do with Ware or his replacement. Did Leal, Galloway, Mbacko, Reneau, etc bail out like we were told they certainly world? No. Everyone of importance is back, sans Ware. Which as I said, was obvious.

Reactions: T.M.P. and nichlee
You're moving the goalposts around. I pointed out that the predicted mass exodus did not happen. It has nothing to do with Ware or his replacement. Did Leal, Galloway, Mbacko, Reneau, etc bail out like we were told they certainly world? No. Everyone of importance is back, sans Ware. Which as I said, was obvious.
Yet he didn’t recruit lol. Heck I would argue Galloway and Leal needed to move on but we didn’t have recruiting the last 2 years to fill those spots

There is one player that has had some success and his playing style fits the Woodson offense exactly-Zach Edey.
But it wouldn't. Edey minus not surrounded by good/elite shooters, is not as effective. That's the problem here. That and Woodson does not feel the 3 point shot is NEEDED. And it absolutely is

Reactions: CriticArisen
Is that a good thing? After all, HE recruited rhem

But it wouldn't. Edey minus not surrounded by good/elite shooters, is not as effective. That's the problem here. That and Woodson does not feel the 3 point shot is NEEDED. And it absolutely is
Another plus for our coaching staffs evaluation of ZE. He really cannot shoot the 3. Write a check.

Yes but we still have the same coaching staff. There's the rub.

Go Hoosiers!
Well, his last season with the Knicks he had Carmelo and second highest player payroll in NBA and didn’t make the playoffs.

Stats for that team below-poor defensively and pre season over under 50 wins and actual 39

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosierific
Is that a good thing? After all, HE recruited rhem

It's simply not significant with regards to next year's team. You guys predicted a mass exodus. It did not happen. To now claim that losing these guys is what you meant is disingenuous. I'm merely pointing out that the post-season catastrophes predicted here haven't happened, and as such I'm not putting too much stock in the prediction that next season is going to be a disaster. I think it'll be better than this season, and possibly significantly so. That also doesn't mean that I think Woodson is a particularly good coach. I don't. But even lousy coaches occasionally field decent teams.

Let's see what the roster looks like.

Reactions: T.M.P.
A common knock on him in the NYC sports media was that he talked accountability but there was no actual player accountability. He had his favorites.

It's simply not significant with regards to next year's team. You guys predicted a mass exodus. It did not happen. To now claim that losing these guys is what you meant is disingenuous. I'm merely pointing out that the post-season catastrophes predicted here haven't happened, and as such I'm not putting too much stock in the prediction that next season is going to be a disaster. I think it'll be better than this season, and possibly significantly so. That also doesn't mean that I think Woodson is a particularly good coach. I don't. But even lousy coaches occasionally field decent teams.

Let's see what the roster looks like.
I didn’t predict anything with regard to exodus and actually hoped at least one more would leave because just do not believe in his potential.

The decision is made. I can’t change that

As long as Woody is here and doesn't do anything illegal, immoral or unethical I will support him, attend games and hope his plan works. If it doesn’t work I will once again be ready to move on.

As long as Woody is here and doesn't do anything illegal, immoral or unethical I will support him, attend games and hope his plan works. If it doesn’t work I will once again be ready to move on.
You haven't seen enough already?

Reactions: IUgradman

As in the past, the frustration is that there seems to be a delta between what works for fans, vs what works for the athletic department. Our coaches seem to be able to reside in that delta far longer than some of us wish.

Again, nothing we can do about that. We're not owed a particular level of success.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Well know if it's fools gold ..Or we have a real team by Christmas..
Big problem is..Woodson wins just enough to keep his job.
Then it's more purgatory of just being a avge program.

Well, his last season with the Knicks he had Carmelo and second highest player payroll in NBA and didn’t make the playoffs.

Stats for that team below-poor defensively and pre season over under 50 wins and actual 39

Don't shoot down my optimism. I just got it off the ground a little.
But thanks for the facts.
Well, as was said in the thread, decision is made. So I'll root for the hoosiers. my expectations are low though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT