ADVERTISEMENT

An uninspiring hire has produced uninspired results - OPINION

This is spoken like someone who's just reading statistics and didn't really know what was going on. What Crean needed to do at IU was not have such down seasons in-between great seasons. Those seasons, which sucked, only seem acceptable now that the eight seasons since he left have been so dismal. That doesn't mean we should have kept Crean. It means we missed badly on Miller and Woodson. The aspiration at the time was correct: consistent great and good seasons. It should be the same aspiration now.
Agreed

So what are you saying here? Because a hire was bad (inept) give it a mandatory and arbitrary amount of time to keep being bad so as to maintain another arbitrary number of years between firings?

The problem with these kinds of mindsets are two-fold:

1) They focus on the wrong thing. In fact, they don't come close to focusing on anything remotely important, in this case, worrying that Mike's only been here three years, as opposed to what Mike has done in those three years and what he has set up going forward.

@stollcpa - sorry you hired that bum for the Penske account. Tell Penske he has to put up with him for another five years because we don't want to "start over".
I am lost?

West Laffy/Tippecanoe Co - hardworking conservative Republicans, Trump

Bloomington/Monroe Co - hardcore liberal Democrats looking for handouts, Biden

Is it any wonder, the state of current affairs? One is heading north while the other faces south.
Please keep your slack jawed hillbilly whack job politics off the basketball board.

TIA

Please keep your slack jawed hillbilly whack job politics off the basketball board.

TIA
Maybe so, but that doesn’t alter the fact there’s a hint of truth to my hypothesis at the basic root of the differences. Whether my slack-jawed hillbilly whack job politics is here or elsewhere, doesn’t change this characterization.

Crean fell off a cliff with results and recruiting. It was an easy call.

Lots of coaches can beat those results.

IU is just a big basketball school. All we need is a good coach to use our resources.

There is plenty of interest with fans under 30. PU has been very good for about 10 years, but no one cares.
He literally won the conference, and was Coach of the Year, the year before he got canned. How the hell can you say he fell off a cliff?

Reactions: Radio Zero
West Laffy/Tippecanoe Co - hardworking conservative Republicans, Trump

Bloomington/Monroe Co - hardcore liberal Democrats looking for handouts, Biden

Is it any wonder, the state of current affairs? One is heading north while the other faces south.
Are you kidding me? Lawrence, Durham, and Chapel Hill are even more liberal than Bloomington. Politics has nothing to do with the state of the men’s basketball program.

Oh, and Biden won Tippecanoe County.

In Crean's final 6 years, he made three S16 appearances and won two B1G titles. (His first couple of years shouldn't even count with what he had to rebuild from).

And IU canned him.

Good luck finding a coach that has continuously beaten those results over six years.

You guys may not have liked Crean (I thought he was a tool), but what does a coach have to do in 5 years to feel secure at IU? (That's not a rhetorical question). Does he need a couple of E8 runs or a F4? 1 natty in his first 5 years?

What is it? Because B1G titles and second-week March appearances weren't enough ... "because we're IU."

Well, now IU isn't IU anymore, and IU's about to lose a generation of kids to their rival.

IU better get this next hire right, or at least hope that lightning strikes and IU finds a magical run to subdue the apathy and spark interest in the program from those under 30.
Crean is a terrible coach and deserved to be fired. He alienated every high school coach in the state which killed his ability to recruit the top talent. His performance at Georgia validated IU’s decision.

Reactions: Thcgh
Let's not forget the administration vowed to emphasize academics over athletics, so we have that going against us now. This current mindset, whatever it actually means, if anything, doesn't make the transformation back to athletic greatness any easier. Back in more tolerable times, Knight was given freer reign to teach as he saw fit, his ultra-demanding style of excellence, which the more modern, present day woke establishment no longer deems acceptable behavior. Times have changed and without Knight's disciplined edge, we no longer distinguish our program from the multitude of others. Sure, we still get great athletes to commit, but so do a lot of other programs because there are a lot of great athletes out there. What IU lacks is great athletes with mental toughness. If you want tough players to represent your school's team, you need a tough-minded coach who takes no sh*t. We had one for 29 years until someone decided we would be better off without him. They made him out to be a bad person by putting him in an impossible situation, dubbed Zero Tolerance. IU basketball fans have been, for the most part, miserable ever since with no end in sight.
it's not Whiten holding them back at all, it's the mismanagement of the athletic department and its horrible decision making. It applies across the board however, people hired into positions they have absolutely no qualification for, sometimes even hired knowing that to be the case as in staff appointments of spouses of faculty ... the university basically finding places to stick people where the nature of their actual job is constantly shifting to whatever hides them best from sight as being nothing more than a charity hire to attract faculty they want.

This is apples to oranges from the situation RMK was in. This is ineptitude, combined with too much money. The notion that IU is anything other than one of the bottom half of the conference from an academic standpoint and is laughable as it's always been. Stanford of the mid-west, yeah right, that's the ticket

Reactions: It Will Do
It applies across the board however, people hired into positions they have absolutely no qualification for, sometimes even hired knowing that to be the case as in staff appointments of spouses of faculty ... the university basically finding places to stick people where the nature of their actual job is constantly shifting to whatever hides them best from sight as being nothing more than a charity hire to attract faculty they want.
Now that the administration is hiring with DEI mandates to fulfill, it will only get worse. The best qualified won't necessarily be in the most influential positions, more so.

Bob Knight remained a student of the game throughout his life. Few are as dedicated today.

As time goes by, gene pools get further diluted. Purebreds become mutts in the course of evolution. Whatever is, was, and will be is now becoming. Time, as we know of it, only moves in one direction, the direction dictated by the Second Law of Thermodynamics, that is, higher randomness, this thing labeled "entropy."

Organization requires energy input, going against the grain of nature. It started near the beginning of time with elections seeking a lower orbital state, shedding of excess energy useful elsewhere, in the process. Let's hope IU sees fit to hire someone with vitality, someone full of energy, someone imbued in the spirit of strong work ethic. Personality is the outward reflection of inner vitality. Think of Bob Knight as a supercharged thoroughbred fast out of the Churchill Downs starting gate vs Archie Miller/Mike Woodson, slower moving trail horses put out to pasture.

• Love
Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
This situation is painful. It might take us to hit rock bottom to rebuild. When that happens let’s just hope we hire a qualified individuals.

Dolson isn't Fred Glass. He's a former IU basketball manager. The hires haven't been as bad at the time as people make out. Davis should've been canned in 2001 and Pitino or Alford brought in but the race hustlers won out as it wouldn't have been fair to Davis. Then the 2002 run happened. Sampson was an amazing coach who would've killed it here. Wasn't fired for poor coaching. Crean was probably the best we could do in the wake of Sampson's dumpster fire. The plan was always for him to get us back to respectability and then cut him loose. But he landed Cody Zeller which ended up giving him another 5-6 years.

Archie was considered the next big thing in college basketball by many analysts. He turned out to be a turd but it was hard to know that at the time. Woody is the one hire that was a real head scratcher as there wasn't another college basketball program that would've hired him. The truth is Dolson thought he had Stevens in the bag. When that fell through he was caught with his pants down and that gave Quinn the perfect opportunity to slide in his buddy. In other words, we had the worst luck possible the past 20 plus years. The next hire will be the best one we've made since Knight was fired. Book it.
🤣 you equated Alford to Pitino!

it's not Whiten holding them back at all, it's the mismanagement of the athletic department and its horrible decision making. It applies across the board however, people hired into positions they have absolutely no qualification for, sometimes even hired knowing that to be the case as in staff appointments of spouses of faculty ... the university basically finding places to stick people where the nature of their actual job is constantly shifting to whatever hides them best from sight as being nothing more than a charity hire to attract faculty they want.

This is apples to oranges from the situation RMK was in. This is ineptitude, combined with too much money. The notion that IU is anything other than one of the bottom half of the conference from an academic standpoint and is laughable as it's always been. Stanford of the mid-west, yeah right, that's the ticket
Well you're quite right about the rampant hiring of friends, spouses, and family at IU, positions and reporting lines carefully structured so as to avoid the letter of the law that prohibits nepotism and conflict of interest. This has gone on for a long long time though, nothing that started recently.

Well you're quite right about the rampant hiring of friends, spouses, and family at IU, positions and reporting lines carefully structured so as to avoid the letter of the law that prohibits nepotism and conflict of interest. This has gone on for a long long time though, nothing that started recently.
Nepotism slows the advancement of life's technology when the less gifted are granted special positions of influence over those more deserving through the blood, sweat and tears of the higher qualified.

Since early on...Woodson has projected a "my way or the highway" sort of demeanor. While that seems normal....it is when the coach knows what he is doing. I think it was questionable when Matta and Fife both left. I got the impression that they were closer to players than Woodson was...and frankly, represented a threat. He chose to bring in his own "yes men". I don't think Woodson is open to change and thinking outside the box. Part of that is his high mileage, and part is ego. I think that explains his lack of contact with recruits and recruiting in general.

Furthermore....I think the "law of diminishing returns" is creeping in on portal dependence as well. He won't get 3 fives stars next year. In fact, he will lose three 5 stars. This roster mismanagement is both on and off the court. The only way Woodson could possibly turn this around is by having top shelf, player oriented assistant coaches whose input he welcomes and utilizes. That is what he chased off. In short, IU has a head coach that demonstrates stubborn tunnel-vision, as a substitute for college head coaching skiils.

As time goes by, gene pools get further diluted. Purebreds become mutts in the course of evolution. Whatever is, was, and will be is now becoming. Time, as we know of it, only moves in one direction, the direction dictated by the Second Law of Thermodynamics, that is, higher randomness, this thing labeled "entropy."

Organization requires energy input, going against the grain of nature. It started near the beginning of time with elections seeking a lower orbital state, shedding of excess energy useful elsewhere, in the process. Let's hope IU sees fit to hire someone with vitality, someone full of energy, someone imbued in the spirit of strong work ethic. Personality is the outward reflection of inner vitality. Think of Bob Knight as a supercharged thoroughbred fast out of the Churchill Downs starting gate vs Archie Miller/Mike Woodson, slower moving trail horses put out to pasture.
No idea what evolution, stochastic processes or human genetics has to do with this coaching situation but competence and personality are two different things. We can have the most dispassionate coach on the planet but if he/she recruits and develops players effectively leading to wins and NCAA tournament achievements, I'm all in. Mark Few doesn't strike me as the most rah rah guy in the world but he wins.

Everyone except Sampson has been inconsistently competent in their career when it comes to delivering wins - Davis, Dakich, Crean, Miller and now Woodson. I don't care about the person, I care about the outcomes. None of these coaches have delivered consistent outcomes. Saying stupid, illogical things about the lack of achieving those outcomes only makes things worse for that person.

No idea what evolution, stochastic processes or human genetics has to do with this coaching situation but competence and personality are two different things. We can have the most dispassionate coach on the planet but if he/she recruits and develops players effectively leading to wins and NCAA tournament achievements, I'm all in. Mark Few doesn't strike me as the most rah rah guy in the world but he wins.

Everyone except Sampson has been inconsistently competent in their career when it comes to delivering wins - Davis, Dakich, Crean, Miller and now Woodson. I don't care about the person, I care about the outcomes. None of these coaches have delivered consistent outcomes. Saying stupid, illogical things about the lack of achieving those outcomes only makes things worse for that person.
Personalities…those of energy surplus, socially directed, are attractive to others. Energetic coaches are more prone to winning records.

It does not matter a win is a win.
tumblr_mjthfmn7ae1qecb8po2_500.gif

Now that the administration is hiring with DEI mandates to fulfill, it will only get worse. The best qualified won't necessarily be in the most influential positions, more so.

Bob Knight remained a student of the game throughout his life. Few are as dedicated today.

I had a retired lawyer tell me that what made America great was genetic hybrid vigor. I responded by saying that the genius of our Constitution was a bigger part. He said, "That was written because of genetic hybrid vigor". lol

Take it from someone who's seen DePaul's fall from the 70s and 80s. Once you start sliding you better fight to the death for the results you once had and expected.

I've been one to point out that during Knight's tenure it wasn't just a straight line across in terms of 25-win seasons, which were much more impressive back then. It was mostly on a three- and four-year cycle to elite.

Now? We are 259-249 in the conference in the last 30 years. We've had single digit losses in a season only four times during that span.

People who are reasonably old, like 40 years old, have never seen what people only 10 years older, like me (OK, 11) saw and people 15-20 years older saw consistently. Now, it seems the majority of people are saying the tournament is good enough. As in, "Woody got us to the tournament two years in a row." He was 21-14 and 23-12 in those years.

That is awful. Yet, that's good to too many people.

The standard is the standard - until it's not. This is what the IU admin simply has not understood during their 30-year walk in the wilderness.

It's almost gone. The last 10 years? 192-135. 93-96 in the conference. It's such that a lot of people think that now we need patience in getting back to... what exactly?

No, we need urgency. Urgency to get back to standards and levels that, unfortunately, an ever-shrinking pool of supporters remember, aspire to and demand.

I don't think people really understand how far away we are and how long it's been. It's not a matter of, "We better fix this before we lose it". It's, "It's gone - and we need to get it back."

Woodson's not the answer. X isn't the missing piece. It's a little bit better version of Mike Davis. It's a little bit better version than Archie. We all know it. Not just because of the record but because of the basketball we see. The horrible IQ and lack of fundamentals consistently not corrected. Horrible scheme and philosophy. Idiot subbing patterns until the media calls get too loud. Idiot decision making in the auto-benchings, again, until the media calls get too loud. The roster totally devoid of any meaningful guards, point and shooting. Bad basketball. Bad roster. Meet the new guy. Same as the old guy.

It's bad. We know it's bad. Fix it. Now. Why wait? Wait for what? 19-13? 15-16? Is there a difference? Bad basketball. Bad roster. Meet the new guy. Same as the old guy.
You are on point. Great take.

Reactions: Seyton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT