ADVERTISEMENT

The game has simply changed

Hoosier in Mad Town

All-American
Jun 18, 2007
We can talk about standards, culture, whatever, but the reality is that the product of basketball has changed. College basketball is not played at a high level . The individual play, at the NBA level, has never been more skilled, but watching games is like watching paint dry. It's like society, in which we've never been more educated, yet less wise than right now. Or maybe another analogy to whomever I offended, it's like buying a Ferrari and never taking it out of 2nd gear. Ball screens galore. Crap man-to-man defense. Settling for 25 foot fadeaway 3's. There is no longer art, it's all science. And it's gross.

You add in the fact there is no continuity. No team stays together. Everyone is all about self and not about team. It's compounded exponentially with NIL. Even at the NBA level, the stars at least used to stay on the same team for 5-10 years. Now they move every 3-4. It's created a crap product and we won't ever see IU basketball return because the variables to make that happen don't even exist.

Last edited:
We can talk about standards, culture, whatever, but the reality is that the product of basketball has changed. College basketball is not played at a high level . The individual play, at the NBA level, has never been more skilled, but watching games is like watching paint dry. It's like society, in which we've never been more educated, yet less wise that right now. Or maybe another analogy to whomever I offended, it's like buying a Ferrari and never taking it out of 2nd gear. Ball screens galore. Crap man-to-man defense. Settling for 25 foot fadeaway 3's. There is no longer art, it's all science. And it's gross.

You add in the fact there is no continuity. No team stays together. Everyone is all about self and not about team. It's compounded exponentially with NIL. Even at the NBA level, the stars at least used to stay on the same team for 5-10 years. Now they move every 3-4. It's created a crap product and we won't ever see IU basketball return because the variables to make that happen don't even exist.
Not arguing with much of that, but it’s what we’ve got. Probably never going back. The adults screwed it all up.

We can talk about standards, culture, whatever, but the reality is that the product of basketball has changed. College basketball is not played at a high level . The individual play, at the NBA level, has never been more skilled, but watching games is like watching paint dry. It's like society, in which we've never been more educated, yet less wise than right now. Or maybe another analogy to whomever I offended, it's like buying a Ferrari and never taking it out of 2nd gear. Ball screens galore. Crap man-to-man defense. Settling for 25 foot fadeaway 3's. There is no longer art, it's all science. And it's gross.

And still… most of the solid programs, with really good coaches, generally manage to stay near the top of the heap.
The IU of old won’t return, but absolutely “could” be a consistently winning program. That is not an impossible ask.

Reactions: CG Paul and Al Bino

The spirit of belonging is gone in many areas of society. It used to be that a man spent his whole working life at one place. He might even get a gold watch for 50 yrs of service. A man used to be married to one woman and would reach the golden anniversary. So in society what do we belong to? What shared values do we all share? What and to whom are we loyal?

The spirit of belonging is gone in many areas of society. It used to be that a man spent his whole working life at one place. He might even get a gold watch for 50 yrs of service. A man used to be married to one woman and would reach the golden anniversary. So in society what do we belong to? What shared values do we all share? What and to whom are we loyal?
Van, I agree with you about once a decade. This must be it for the 2020s.

And still… most of the solid programs, with really good coaches, generally manage to stay near the top of the heap.
The IU of old won’t return, but absolutely “could” be a consistently winning program. That is not an impossible ask.
Jay Wright and Nick Saban might offer a different perspective

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
Jay Wright and Nick Saban might offer a different perspective
What…. they don’t think IU could still be a consistently winning program?

In BB, UConn, Duke, UNC, still among the leaders. UK doesn’t win Titles, but they’re always good. Kansas having dreadful year, but I’d bet they bounce back.
The “top” programs haven’t gone anywhere. Yet.

Same in FB. OSU, MI, UGA, Ala, TX, OK… all still hanging out among the leaders so far.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
the simpsons adult GIF

NIL era has made roster makeup worse but I think it will level off eventually. There's lots of team play in college you can watch if that's what you want. NBA product is bad though. Probably because the Celtics haven't won in over a decade 🍀

I am letting you know how much of a dinosaur I am, but my h.s. ( Anderson Madison Heights)produced Ray Tolbert, Bobby Wilkerson, Stew Robinson, and Winston Morgan. Those guys wanted to play for Indiana (and Coach Knight) and were proud to wear INDIANA on their chest. Now there's no loyalty to a school and certainly not for four years. I hate the free agency mentality and services to the highest bidder that college basketball has become. It's destroying college basketball. Now I feel better!

I am letting you know how much of a dinosaur I am, but my h.s. ( Anderson Madison Heights)produced Ray Tolbert, Bobby Wilkerson, Stew Robinson, and Winston Morgan. Those guys wanted to play for Indiana (and Coach Knight) and were proud to wear INDIANA on their chest. Now there's no loyalty to a school and certainly not for four years. I hate the free agency mentality and services to the highest bidder that college basketball has become. It's destroying college basketball. Now I feel better!
Double the Double BRAVO!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT