ADVERTISEMENT

Tampon Tim and the Culture War

So thinking that all bathrooms should have tampon dispensers to acknowledge that trans people do exist is wrong? That is a real issue faced by some in our society and apparently costs the taxpayers nothing to implement.

Sounds like a logical law. Doesn't mean that law was the top priority regardless of how the bigot republicans want to attack it because they apparently think anything that makes life a little easier for trans is wrong.
You don’t even know what trans is

I think Tampon Tim is a hilarious nickname that will never go away. Regulating that all public boys bathrooms need to have tampons in them is a waste of taxpayer money.

However, IMO, it's low on the list of priorities. I don't know the $ commitment it takes, but I'm confident its a blip (500k?) in the grand scheme of government budgets. We all could put together an unending list of things that the government has wasted way more money on. COVID relief. The RedLine in downtown Indy. The floating pier in gaza. Cyber Ninjas. Etc Etc.

I don't care about Trans policy. I don't know any Trans people. I rarely see any trans people. My kids aren't threatened by trans people.

Maybe I'll care once the inevitable prankster introduces vodka enemas to his friends. Until then, IDGAF about tampons.

DANC - I was motivated by you to stand for something. Tampons.
I'm always glad to be a positive influence on the youth of America

They broke in? Breached security? Or was that person invited?
The guy who threw a shoe at Bush was invited too. Pretty sure he aint allowed to come back either.

I also don't think that Monica is getting any White House Correspondence Dinner invites anytime soon.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I don't think the name will stick at all, despite the MAGA cult repeating it multiple times.

Harris/Walz have done a great job so far in framing the GOP ticket as weirdos (because they are). The MAGA cult trying to get a nickname to stick is like the band geek trying to get a nickname to stick on the all-american QB. The general consensus on that is 'whatever, weirdo nerd'.
You used to try to hide your loonyness, but now you're embracing it.

Good for you!

Wrong….societal norms matter.

Meh, I asked my older sister who was a HS calculus math teacher (now retired and does tax service) and she said the Tampon dispenser was based out of needs and consideration.

Because teen girls were dealing with menstrual embarrassment when they'd have one and would not be able to access them because the girls bathroom was full/closed.

Secondly HS opposing female athletes had similar issues because they were commonly assigned the boys locker room, ya know since they don't share a locker room with the home team and it's common to have two locker rooms, maybe three in total that can be separated.

So the basis of the tampon dispenser controversy seems to be coming from the similar group think who fought title 9 with much more fervor when it was being legislated, which doesn't surprise me that you guys are now all concerned about women's athletics, hopefully because you see how successful and popular women's sports have been for teen girls confidence and identity when back in the day you (Republicans in general) to my understanding (I was 2 years old) argued that no one watches women's sports so they don't make any profits and the religious nuts stacked on they shouldn't be doing that anyway so title 9 just encourages girls to be active playing sports which is dangerous to our Trad Fundy wife beliefs.

So, a certain groups opinion of social norms vs another groups opinion of easy solutions to help female kids from having to go through the incredible social embarrassment of menstruating through their clothes.

I would think that most normal Americans would be cool with that, particularly those who have daughters.

I used to believe that the transgender thing was rare, but as my kids have been going through high school, it's becoming alot more prevalent. I know one girl who transitioned to being a boy over the course of 3 years. I've known him since she was in junior high. When I asked my son if there were others, he listed off another dozen kids at his school who were either transitioning or going non-binary.
We're in a fringe suburb area of Columbus, OH (just on the edge of where the real farmland starts), so we are not exactly small town, but not big city either. HS class size about 500.

The thing that is interesting is that the kids in his school don't really care / make a big deal about it. It's kinda become an accepted norm and nobody bullies anybody about it. In retrospect, there were probably several kids that I knew in my high school that would have transitioned if it was less of a taboo concept back then.

I kinda agree with the overall point. I think this is a much bigger issue for adults than it is for the 18-25 demographic.

Squeaky, are we really experiencing a trend towards kids becoming a Trans, or is it more about kids not following the traditional social construct of how males and females should act and feel?

For example, many of my grand nieces are participating in sports such as track and lacross which weren't even offered to girls back in the day. We called girls "Tom Boys" who took an interest in activities which boys liked.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Secondly HS opposing female athletes had similar issues because they were commonly assigned the boys locker room, ya know since they don't share a locker room with the home team and it's common to have two locker rooms, maybe three in total that can be separated.
That one is a good solid point. Especially in smaller rural high schools.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Unlike the Democratic cult who keep bringing up couches. Right?

Re the OP, like most things, the nickname and the incident is a stand-in for what the Republicans want the electorate to think the candidate cares about, what his priorities are. The tampon-in-the-bathroom thing is just an example of all the whacky stuff today's bizarre far left thinks important vs. the real issues in society (like the OP discusses).
Do you think the tampon thing is high on their list of priorities or does it seem like it’s high because other people/parties make a huge deal out of it, which requires more attention than needed when they have to explain why they support it?

And I agree, Dems should probably couch the Vance meme and focus on policy/plans that will help everyday folks.

Meh, I asked my older sister who was a HS calculus math teacher (now retired and does tax service) and she said the Tampon dispenser was based out of needs and consideration.

Because teen girls were dealing with menstrual embarrassment when they'd have one and would not be able to access them because the girls bathroom was full/closed.

So the basis of the tampon dispenser controversy seems to be coming from the similar group think who fought title 9 with much more fervor when it was being legislated, which doesn't surprise me that you guys are now all concerned about women's athletics, hopefully because you see how successful and popular women's sports have been for teen girls confidence and identity when back in the day you (Republicans in general) to my understanding (I was 2 years old) argued that no one watches women's sports so they don't make any profits and the religious nuts stacked on they shouldn't be doing that anyway so title 9 just encourages girls to be active playing sports which is dangerous to our Trad Fundy wife beliefs.

So, a certain groups opinion of social norms vs another groups opinion of easy solutions to help female kids from having to go through the incredible social embarrassment of menstruating through their clothes.

I would think that most normal Americans would be cool with that, particularly those who have daughters.
First of all…I don’t give a shit about tampon dispensers.

My societal norm comment was directed at the “normalization” of fantasies.

Why did your sister quit teaching high school calculus?

I ask because I could see my son teaching high school calculus or college mathematics

Most Americans tell their daughters not to go into the boys bathroom.

Last edited:
Reactions: ulrey and stollcpa
Do you think the tampon thing is high on their list of priorities or does it seem like it’s high because other people/parties make a huge deal out of it, which requires more attention than needed when they have to explain why they support it?

And I agree, Dems should probably couch the Vance meme and focus on policy/plans that will help everyday folks.
Same. The couch jokes are lazy and, particularly since it was a fake story, is sofa out of bounds.

A reading suggestion for you

Squeaky, are we really experiencing a trend towards kids becoming a Trans, or is it more about kids not following the traditional social construct of how males and females should act and feel?

For example, many of my grand nieces are participating in sports such as track and lacross which weren't even offered to girls back in the day. We called girls "Tom Boys" who took an interest in activities which boys liked.
There’s also another possibility. Every time this subject comes up I’m reminded of the couple who claimed they knew their child was trans when the child was 18 months old. Which is obviously insane. They were interviewed on tv.

These people and people like them are celebrated by some on the left for what is essentially child abuse.

It may be a very small percentage but some trans kids are made that way from a very young age. Long before they have any idea what trans even is.

I ask because I could see my son teaching high school calculus or college mathematics
Boob jobs (whether for show or as a recovery tool from a mastectomy). Botox. Hair plugs. Liposuction. Boner pills.

Those are all gender affirming care. They're all, to one degree or another, about achieving what could be described as a fantasy. You're just against the ones that aren't fantasies you're cool with.

Reactions: anon_mya1phvcpf5x4
I used to believe that the transgender thing was rare, but as my kids have been going through high school, it's becoming alot more prevalent. I know one girl who transitioned to being a boy over the course of 3 years. I've known him since she was in junior high. When I asked my son if there were others, he listed off another dozen kids at his school who were either transitioning or going non-binary.
We're in a fringe suburb area of Columbus, OH (just on the edge of where the real farmland starts), so we are not exactly small town, but not big city either. HS class size about 500.

The thing that is interesting is that the kids in his school don't really care / make a big deal about it. It's kinda become an accepted norm and nobody bullies anybody about it. In retrospect, there were probably several kids that I knew in my high school that would have transitioned if it was less of a taboo concept back then.

I kinda agree with the overall point. I think this is a much bigger issue for adults than it is for the 18-25 demographic.
Right. But why is it happening?

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
This issue is stupid and shouldnt even be a discussion in a state or federal legislature when there are bigger issues to deal with.

This trans and other oddball deviant behavior stuff are mental disorders and should be treated as such. Adults need to stop feeding people's delusions.

Boob jobs (whether for show or as a recovery tool from a mastectomy). Botox. Hair plugs. Liposuction. Boner pills.

Those are all gender affirming care. They're all, to one degree or another, about achieving what could be described as a fantasy. You're just against the ones that aren't fantasies you're cool with.
Would you be OK with a 12 year old getting breast implants because she said she wanted bigger boobs?

Welfare pays for boob jobs other than after a mastectomy?
Welfare pays for Botox other than migraine treatment?
Welfare pays for hair plugs?
Welfare pays for liposuction?
Welfare pays for “boner pills” other than for treatment of BPH?

Welfare pays for estrogen therapy for a male without prostate cancer diagnosis?
Welfare pays for testosterone therapy for a female?

• Angry
Reactions: ulrey and DANC

It's an interesting valid question. If I had to guess, it's probably kinda both.
Up until the mid '90's, societal norms pretty much relegated you into either the Male / Female / or Gay categories. The "gay" category was a fairly broad catch-all for everything not in the first two.
If you were Lesbian but were the "guy equivalent" in the relationship, you would be called "butch" and those that exhibited those traits were generally looked down upon / made fun of (even beyond the fact that they were gay). At the same time, when a girl performed well at sports (the "Tom Boys"), you would often get jealous boys and girls that would call those female athletes "butch" to try and take them down a peg.

As time has gone by, we've become more accepting of both sides of that spectrum. If I had to guess, it all comes down to the whole "we fear / hate those things we don't understand." The more we get exposed to it (girls doing well in sports, people who don't feel comfortable with the gender they were born with), the more understanding we get.

Change is hard. But it is often inevitable.

And before we get too deep in the weeds, I am against any kind of parental assisted gender altering before an age that should at least be in the 14 to 15 year old range (ie. post puberty). If you are a boy and want to dress like a girl and deal with the societal ramifications that come with it, more power to ya. But if you want to start "playing with the plumbing", you need to wait until your body has matured enough and stabilized. 1) Your feelings may change once the hormones change with puberty onset and 2) this is a hard enough strain on your body that it is something that you should only do once. Make sure it's the right call.

You used to try to hide your loonyness, but now you're embracing it.

Good for you!
Hmmm - maybe. The larger point remains though. Right now Trump and Vance aren’t controlling the narrative and Harris/Walz are surging. I think they’ll get a bump from the DNC and I think that will sustain them to the the election, but we’ll see.

There’s also another possibility. Every time this subject comes up I’m reminded of the couple who claimed they knew their child was trans when the child was 18 months old. Which is obviously insane. They were interviewed on tv.

These people and people like them are celebrated by some on the left for what is essentially child abuse.

It may be a very small percentage but some trans kids are made that way from a very young age. Long before they have any idea what trans even is.
See my post above. I absolutely do not agree with those particular parents.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
I think Tampon Tim is a hilarious nickname that will never go away. Regulating that all public boys bathrooms need to have tampons in them is a waste of taxpayer money.

However, IMO, it's low on the list of priorities. I don't know the $ commitment it takes, but I'm confident its a blip (500k?) in the grand scheme of government budgets. We all could put together an unending list of things that the government has wasted way more money on. COVID relief. The RedLine in downtown Indy. The floating pier in gaza. Cyber Ninjas. Etc Etc.

I don't care about Trans policy. I don't know any Trans people. I rarely see any trans people. My kids aren't threatened by trans people.

Maybe I'll care once the inevitable prankster introduces vodka enemas to his friends. Until then, IDGAF about tampons.

DANC - I was motivated by you to stand for something. Tampons.

Why is it even on his list of priorities? I did the math and maybe 1 person a day at each 180 high schools would need a feminine product. Can the nurses office not handle that? Did the governor really need to get involved?

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
And before we get too deep in the weeds, I am against any kind of parental assisted gender altering before an age that should at least be in the 14 to 15 year old range (ie. post puberty). If you are a boy and want to dress like a girl and deal with the societal ramifications that come with it, more power to ya. But if you want to start "playing with the plumbing", you need to wait until your body has matured enough and stabilized. 1) Your feelings may change once the hormones change with puberty onset and 2) this is a hard enough strain on your body that it is something that you should only do once. Make sure it's the right call.
Spot on.

She was close to her retirement goal but then had two student shooter threats, one that was just a threat but another that was really serious of a identified loner dude showed up with artillery. The principal was the one who stopped him by pretending to be conversational but then punched him out. Not sure that's a common principle allowed conduct but in this case it was very effective.

Anyway that freaked her out. They later found that the student had a list of kills and she was on it.

Yikes.

So she got the f out and started a tax service business. She was always the insane academic superhuman compared to my oldest sister and my wannabe rock guitar star as a teen (my high school GPA was atrocious but, was a steady deans list when I failed the rock path and went to IU, proving how critical studying and preparing are for academic success). She was class valedictorian and ended up getting a double major in electrical and mechanical engineering from fricken Purdue. Interned for GE in Louisville and then hired by Cannon in Rochester NY (I think it was Cannon, some major copier manufacturer). She got bored with that, then had kids and decided she would rather teach than problem solve and engineer copiers. Lol.

She took as massive salary cut but she loved it. Particularly calculus because the majority of kids taking it are closer wired like she is and she said she was able to make more inspiration moments which of course she loved as a teacher.

So if you're son is into inspiring others learning much more complex math and problem solving skills...she would say hell yes!

Seriously though, the violence and safety concerns were legit at her school and it freaked her out to the point that she has some PTSD and freaked out by larger crowd gatherings.

Which blows.

My Brother insisted that his seven sons play football and get college football scholarships.

All managed to fulfill his wishes. All as older adults suffer severe back and neck problems.

Not unusual for parents to make amazing predictions for their children starting from the time they are born.

Predicting a Trans takes the cake from the standpoint of being bizarre. Have to wonder about those parents.

Would you be OK with a 12 year old getting breast implants because she said she wanted bigger boobs?
Not at all. But that wasn't the comment I was responding to. The comment I was responding to was that accepting trans folks is "the normalization of fantasies."

I think that's incorrect and explained why.

Your question is a fair enough question but way past the discussion we're having on whether they can exist.

Reactions: Bowlmania
From the commentary from some folks you'd think he's forced boys to USE tampons.

It seems like such a non-issue.

Premise 1: Trans kids exist
Premise 2: A female-->male trans kid could/would still menstruate
Premise 3: Minnesota doesn't require school bathrooms to be used by kids based on birth sex
Conclusion: There will likely be menstruating kids using the boys' bathrooms somewhere at sometime.

And the only extra cost would seem to be the cost of installing the dispensers in every bathroom. Other than that, the actual stock can still be rotated as needed to avoid product expiration.

But what can ya do? The outrage machine gotta outrage.

And I really only quoted your post for the bolded part. That's something I'm curious about. I wonder how many trans people we actually do see in our day-to-day but don't realize are trans? If we're in cities of any size, I bet we see more than we think. And I'd also bet we see more people who AREN'T trans but get casually identified as such because they have the "wrong" traits for their sex/gender.
Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Only liberals. I’ll solve the problem. If you have a d#ck go in the boys restroom. If you menstruate go in the girls restroom.

It's mind boggling that the democratic party has been so successful at manipulating a 100 million plus voting block on a platform that affects a miniscule amount of society. The lesbian/queer/transgender community represents a TINY, TINY portion of the American population.

They've become the party of "anything goes" and have grossly manipulated their voting block. And yes, tampons in a boys bathroom is repulsive.

Right. But why is it happening?

I am obviously not an expert on this subject. If I had to guess though...
High School has always had its societal rejects. Nerds. Loners. Druggies. Even just ugly looking people.

Alot of those kids over the years have been made fun of just for not acting / looking like something that society believes is an ideal model. I suspect that a decent chunk of these kids are seeing the acceptance of "alternative lifestyles" and have latched onto that as a possible escape. In the end, we all want to be loved in some fashion, and seeing that there is a group out there that acts differently than the societal norm but doesn't let the bullying / rejection affect them is appealing to that individual. Maybe they truly feel the way that group feels. Maybe they are going with the "fake it till you make it" system (trying to convince themselves that they can fit into that sub-society).

It's not going to be a black-and-white situation though. Through whatever biology or upbringing that individuals get, there is rarely going to be a time where you find a group of other people that you fit in with completely and ideally. You try to do your best to find the group of people that "gets you" the most. I think the rise in number is mostly just due to the fact that it simply hadn't been an option before. The backlash had been too great to the point where those sub-society members (and I mean that as a sub categorization, not as a denegration) didn't have enough acceptance to make their beliefs public. As it has become more mainstream, the shame has decreased and the reluctance of others to join has also decreased accordingly. These kids may eventually figure out that what they truly want no longer aligns with this group they identified with. It happens. People grow. People change.

As I noted above, I'm against kids making biological changes until they are old enough to know for sure. You can be open to them exploring the options before then, but it is something you shouldn't force.

There are alot of times when the world really sucks. It's kinda a fact of life. We all are looking for individuals to share the burden with.

Reactions: TommyCracker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT