ADVERTISEMENT

Dividing the world into heroes and villains does us little good

But who can afford a car there

Btw. For every car you buy you need to buy a 'license' for ownership that lasts 10 years. Then there's the usual 150-170% tax on top.

The latest license for a medium engine sized car now is $103k. Then you pay the highly taxed car (150+%)

I have paid myfair share of car taxes here. (Well over six figures over the duration of my stay here.)
I am done paying these bastards more $$ when the cnuts can kick me out anytime.
But TBF the public transport system here is world class. Timed to the minute.

Last edited:
I am just now starting to get back some of my energy and stamina and appetite and lung function, and I caught it back in March or April.
I tested myself and was negative yesterday morning. I felt good while I worked all day. I forget the exact time but around 7pm after eating pizza I started feeling like I needed the rest room. Then I started sweating, light headed and my pulse was running from 80-95. I could feel my heart pounding. Laid on my back on bed with feet elevated and after hour heart beat back to 75-80. I read stuff on here and posted a little. Eventually went to sleep and just got up. I have headache like a hangover but otherwise feel fine. Scared me.

I tested myself and was negative yesterday morning. I felt good while I worked all day. I forget the exact time but around 7pm after eating pizza I started feeling like I needed the rest room. Then I started sweating, light headed and my pulse was running from 80-95. I could feel my heart pounding. Laid on my back on bed with feet elevated and after hour heart beat back to 75-80. I read stuff on here and posted a little. Eventually went to sleep and just got up. I have headache like a hangover but otherwise feel fine. Scared me.

Glad you're feeling better.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
They are an occupying force that is currently in the slow process of stealing land and displacing stateless people. They are not good guys. They have a unique history that earns them a pass from the West, but they aren't good.

Bullshit.
Get back to us when all these attacks that have happened since 1948 from their radical neighbors stops. If you were to transplant the US into the Middle East, you’d realize that Israel has been on the defensive ever since its creation. They always get attacked FIRST and then respond. And, sometimes, the only way to effectively deal with that type of enemy is to resort to their tactics.
Get back to us when Israel cuts off the heads of babies.
Israel is a modern, civilized society trying to exist inside a territory filled with sadistic savages.

Bullshit.
Get back to us when all these attacks that have happened since 1948 from their radical neighbors stops. If you were to transplant the US into the Middle East, you’d realize that Israel has been on the defensive ever since its creation. They always get attacked FIRST and then respond. And, sometimes, the only way to effectively deal with that type of enemy is to resort to their tactics.
Get back to us when Israel cuts off the heads of babies.
Israel is a modern, civilized society trying to exist inside a territory filled with sadistic savages.
All of that may be true, but what I said still holds.

Have we had a decent diplomat since Kissinger?
Honestly it was kind of nonresponsive to my point. We're all conditioned in the West to value everyone and believe that all people are generally the same (they are). Where differences in outcome come into play are often very much tied to cultural/systemic approach and geography.

I know a bunch of good Muslims who have their own opinions on how they were screwed over has nothing to do with that fact.

What part isn't true?

They got put into a situation based on British suggestions. Their statehood and land was immediately rejected by Arabs in the region, and a war ensued. It has never really stopped. Arab aggression and terrorism has been going on since well before 1948.

Israeli settlements and additional land grabs in the West Bank in recent years are bad, but the majority of its additions were security-related.

Also, there was an opportunity to accept a two state solution back in the Clinton years and it was rejected by the PLO and Arafat.

I know this:
Hamas is considered a villain.
Barbaric animals. That became crystal clear this week if it wasn’t already well known. I’d classify them as “bad guys.”
Seeing the images of them with captured babies and children is incomprehensible. There ought to be a way to unify and capture every Hamas soldier. And keep them alive until they die of old age and natural causes while being tortured as inhumanely as humanly possible for all of their days. I would agree to raising taxes for that end.

I live in an area that's surrounded by 200 million Muslims. Because of the regular interactions --whether for work or socially, you see both sides -- especially here in Singapore where social harmony ie between racial and religious groups is legislated. (Restriction of hate speech.)

I am also lucky in that I am stuck in the middle of the Cold War between China and the US. Singapore, being at the southern tip of the Straits of Malacca where 2/3rd of China or Japan's energy passes through; 2nd most busiest port in the world.

Singapore has to take a neutral stance even though its armed to the teeth (an Israeli-developed strategy) with American aircraft (incl the F35s in 2026) and the US being the largest investor here.

But Singapore is also dependent on China, the 2nd largest investor here -- and in some ways, Singapore's survival is dependent on China in the long run.)

So the perspective I get here is pretty objective. Not much confirmation bias here. So I see both sides of the issue.

And it is not like some Hollywood movie where there is a clear demarcation between the good guys and the bad guys. The perception of the 'bad guys' created by the media and politicians is almost cartoonish. (Honestly, the US perception of the rest of the world is so parochial it's shocking. And how do I know this? My siblings.)

The dehumanising of one particular group where one life is lost means less than another is another thing that if you are being honest with yourself is wrong.

Speaking of Hollywood need to go back to the lessons of The Wire.

The good guys are also bad and the bad guys can also be good.

The question isn't determining who the good and who bad ones are; their actions etc since Newton's 3rd law is in play.

The question that needs to be asked -- how did we get there? The history.

If not it's only a pointless but often repeated exercise of virtue signalling here in the WC -- as in the case of the recent conflagrations in the ME.

Otherwise, this constant hatred keeps spiralling -- and any little understanding going forward becomes near impossible.
I can agree with the notion that no one is all good or bad, but I think your post, while reasonable in assessing actions of the players, misses the forest for the trees fails to address the goals of the various good & bad guys, & that is the most important thing to consider imo.

I can agree with the notion that no one is all good or bad, but I think your post, while reasonable in assessing actions of the players, misses the forest for the trees fails to address the goals of the various good & bad guys, & that is the most important thing to consider imo.
not discounting the evil but sort of to the original point i watched a documentary called gaza on netflix. it's short. maybe an hour. it largely focused on little kids trying to survive there. i think it was 2014. just a brutal existence. very, very sad. just getting food is a chore and the endless threat of bombing etc makes life hardly worth living. it's easy to understand how hate could be inculcated. with all the money in the world it's somewhat amazing that existences like this still persist

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT