ADVERTISEMENT

Student Athlete will not be a thing in 5 years.

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012

Players dont even care anymore. They are blatantly calling out what a joke it is. Go to the end of this clip. CG responds to a tweet saying he needs to graduate, basically saying I graduated last year. I am in grad school now. Really I only take one class. Its on Wednesdays at 7, haven't been in a few weeks. LOL. ONE class is all they require. Just a joke.

When I was growing up, I always thought the rule was you had to be a full-time student, Ie minimum of 12 credit hours, to be eligible to play. Like George Costanza, I guess I’m living in the past. Hung up on some clown from the 60s. Bozo the clown. (hopefully Seinfeld fans get the reference, I don’t have to post a YouTube clip.)

CG admits that he’s barely even a college student at this point.

When I was growing up, I always thought the rule was you had to be a full-time student, Ie minimum of 12 credit hours, to be eligible to play. Like George Costanza, I guess I’m living in the past. Hung up on some clown from the 60s. Bozo the clown. (hopefully Seinfeld fans get the reference, I don’t have to post a YouTube clip.)

CG admits that he’s barely even a college student at this point.
It's markedly different for undergrads.

Reactions: iu papa
It’s about time to privatize the entire basketball scene. Get the burden off the tax payers and let the people who want to be involved own it.

Reactions: Tscurlo and Jssanto
Ok that makes sense. Sort of. But also says the “graduate student”’status to maintain eligibility is a bit of a farce. These guys aren’t working towards any graduate degree. This guy in particular is just taking one class to maintain athletic eligibility. Maybe I’m naïve, but this is quite the eye-opener.

Ok that makes sense. Sort of. But also says the “graduate student”’status to maintain eligibility is a bit of a farce. These guys aren’t working towards any graduate degree. This guy in particular is just taking one class to maintain athletic eligibility. Maybe I’m naïve, but this is quite the eye-opener.
Not as "crooked" as it seems when you factor in summer classes. Taking a class to remain eligible as a grad student doesn't mean a guy like CG hasn't earned his degree(s). Think Miller Kopp graduates in December, will probably take "Sandwich Making" second semester to stay eligible. Doesn't always mean fraud, though I'm sure it happens.

Players dont even care anymore. They are blatantly calling out what a joke it is. Go to the end of this clip. CG responds to a tweet saying he needs to graduate, basically saying I graduated last year. I am in grad school now. Really I only take one class. Its on Wednesdays at 7, haven't been in a few weeks. LOL. ONE class is all they require. Just a joke.
D3 baby or go for club level sports.

Reactions: Radio Zero

I think CG said he hasn’t been there in a couple weeks, which I assume it’s because he’s been playing in the tourney. Besides, you can’t compare graduate studies to undergrad. Depending on the discipline class time isn’t nearly as important in grad school.

I don't think it's much different. Per this recent article, they can be part-time students, 6 hrs. [see #9]. Like Chicago bound, I thought the rule was that you had to be a FT student. When did that change? Yes, you can find 4 easy classes, but you can't do that forever and at least they'd be FT students.

For their sakes, we should hope that’s not the case. Less than 2 percent of college athletes become professional athletes and obviously not all of them make a mint. The vast majority of college athletes should not neglect the student part of student-athlete and we shouldn’t encourage them to neglect it either.

Agreed, and that’s been going on for decades. We’re not talking 12 credit hours. We’re talking one class, probably three credit hours. That’s barely even a student
Beginning in the 1970's, the "Mount Rule" required all undergrad athletes to make "academic progress" toward a degree equivalent to their fellow students to retain eligibility. There were minimum numbers of cumulative credits required at the beginning of each year, and the SA had to successfully complete a minimum of 12 hours the prior semester. The athlete also had to complete those hours in a degree-granting program. So while the degree-program could be a laugher (and many schools had easy degree programs for both athletes and non-athletes), athletes could not just take 12 random hours of nothing each semester and remain eligible.

I have no idea if those rules have changed in recent years. If they have, this is the first I'm hearing of it.

I think CG said he hasn’t been there in a couple weeks, which I assume it’s because he’s been playing in the tourney. Besides, you can’t compare graduate studies to undergrad. Depending on the discipline class time isn’t nearly as important in grad school.
My experience in grad school was completelly different. In a number of classes class participation was a key grade component.

However now it looks like there are majors designed for "student-athletes.

Times sure change.
When I stop and try to think this thru I am not surprised. Look at how dishonest Kansas admin was in dealing with Bill Self, NC admin and their football classes that did not even exist, etc.
What an environment for young students to be in. How can they learn right from wrong?

Reactions: IndyGlen and DANC
For their sakes, we should hope that’s not the case. Less than 2 percent of college athletes become professional athletes and obviously not all of them make a mint. The vast majority of college athletes should not neglect the student part of student-athlete and we shouldn’t encourage them to neglect it either.
I don't think we should encourage them to neglect it, but I also dont think we need to force them. Primarly in mens football and basketball. All other sports should be treated differently than these revenue sports. So much money is involved now, if some athletes just want to take a class or two, I dont think you are gonna see anyone complaining going forward.

I don't think we should encourage them to neglect it, but I also dont think we need to force them. Primarly in mens football and basketball. All other sports should be treated differently than these revenue sports. So much money is involved now, if some athletes just want to take a class or two, I dont think you are gonna see anyone complaining going forward.
As I said, I think it would be a bad thing for them and for society if we don't require them to at least try to obtain a degree while they're attending college. Look at all the former IU basketball players that were on good to great IU basketball teams that didn't make the pros but got their degrees and are doing well as a result. Doctors, Businessmen, etc., etc. Most players at IU and other top basketball programs (as we have been and will be) probably think they have a chance at the NBA when in reality most of them don't. A degree to fall back on is a good thing and many might not pursue it if it weren't a requirement because they're going to get rich playing pro ball (so they think).

Last edited:
As I said, I think it would be a bad thing for them and for society if we don't require them to at least try to obtain a degree while they're attending IU. Look at all the former IU basketball players that were on good to great IU basketball teams that didn't make the pros but got their degrees and are doing well as a result. Doctors, Businessmen, etc., etc. Most players at IU and other top basketball programs (as we have been and will be) probably think they have a chance at the NBA when in reality most of them don't. A degree to fall back on is a good thing and many might not pursue it if it weren't a requirement because they're going to get rich play pro ball (so they think).
Hey I get it, but the days of forcing people to do things when money is involved are coming to an end. Just the reality! Even it is the best thing for them.

Who cares about classes? These kids are learning and doing 100x as much as the average student who goes to a couple classes, plays video games, and goes to the bars 5 nights a week. Give me a break. College classes are a joke anyway.

As I said, I think it would be a bad thing for them and for society if we don't require them to at least try to obtain a degree while they're attending IU. Look at all the former IU basketball players that were on good to great IU basketball teams that didn't make the pros but got their degrees and are doing well as a result. Doctors, Businessmen, etc., etc. Most players at IU and other top basketball programs (as we have been and will be) probably think they have a chance at the NBA when in reality most of them don't. A degree to fall back on is a good thing and many might not pursue it if it weren't a requirement because they're going to get rich play pro ball (so they think).
The percentage of D-1 athletes, no matter what the sport, that go pro is very small nor have no idea the difference between college ball & the pros. I had a cousin that played football at IU in the early '70s, was a starter for 3 years. He went on to play in the NFL for 5 years. At 6'8" 260# he was one of the biggest players on the team at IU. When he got to the pros he said a lot of the players were as big or bigger & faster than he was. He once told me if going from high school to D1 was 10x harder, going from D1 to the pros was a 100x harder.

Who cares about classes? These kids are learning and doing 100x as much as the average student who goes to a couple classes, plays video games, and goes to the bars 5 nights a week. Give me a break. College classes are a joke anyway.
I gotta hand it to you. Every time I think you have maxed out your level of stupidity, you top yourself. Bravo. It is remarkable that every single point you posited in that statement is dead wrong. Congrats on a new milestone, you ignorant, intellectually-addled fvck (and I say that with the highest level of regard).

How would you know anything about college classes?

Reactions: Klaus 7196
Who cares about college athletics then? Why should a team of young players who are getting paid to play and pretending to be students and pretending to be working towards a degree mean anything at all to any other current student or alumni? The connection is just not there.

If IU BB is just the best players that NIL money can buy and there's not even a pretense that the players have to be students first, I'm not interested in them any more than I'm interested in the nearest minor league baseball or G-league team.

It’s about time to privatize the entire basketball scene. Get the burden off the tax payers and let the people who want to be involved own it.
AKA...... let the NBA (China) pay for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The way college basketball is played and officiated..... it's NBA anyway..... so let's get rid of it.

Reactions: elijawon
My experience in grad school was completelly different. In a number of classes class participation was a key grade component.

However now it looks like there are majors designed for "student-athletes.

Seriously? My MBA professors couldn’t care less if you were in class. You’re an adult at that point and you’re paying them to teach, not be babysitters.

I learned a lot more in those classes from dialogue and interaction with professors and other students than I did from the text books and readings.

When you’re paying $xxx,000 for a degree, it’s up to you what you get out of it.

• Love
Reactions: Cavanagh
Who cares about college athletics then? Why should a team of young players who are getting paid to play and pretending to be students and pretending to be working towards a degree mean anything at all to any other current student or alumni? The connection is just not there.

If IU BB is just the best players that NIL money can buy and there's not even a pretense that the players have to be students first, I'm not interested in them any more than I'm interested in the nearest minor league baseball or G-league team.
They represent the university either way. You really care if someone is working towards a general studies degree or not?

They represent the university either way. You really care if someone is working towards a general studies degree or not?
Yes, it matter to me that they are students. Even if they are getting tutors and other support. If they are not students, they don't represent the university in my mind. They are just hired performers.

Yes, it matter to me that they are students. Even if they are getting tutors and other support. If they are not students, they don't represent the university in my mind. They are just hired performers.
I think of it as an apprenticeship. Those kids are learning way more life skills on a college sports team than they ever would sitting through a couple hours of lectures a day and partying every night. They’re learning discipline, accountability, teamwork, etc. College is about maturing and learning life skills. I would argue the athletes are getting more from their experience than 90% of the students.

I think of it as an apprenticeship. Those kids are learning way more life skills on a college sports team than they ever would sitting through a couple hours of lectures a day and partying every night. They’re learning discipline, accountability, teamwork, etc. College is about maturing and learning life skills. I would argue the athletes are getting more from their experience than 90% of the students.
Then they could do the same interning for corporations. If there is no need to work toward a degree, let them work for Cook, or Cummins, or J.B. Hunt truck driving school. Change it to a European model and let educational institutions get the hell out of the college sports business. We could just root for our favorite local employer like the old AAU industrial leagues.

As experience shows, if I had to choose one thing, I would choose sports. You will run after two hares - you will not catch either. But there is one nuance. Learning may suffer. It is good that there is a good resource for learning this page Sometimes I use it. As for basketball, it's for life, no doubt

Last edited:
So if the "student" in "student athlete" is gone then what is left? Of course, men's intercollegiate FBS/FCS football and basketball is to a certain degree the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA, but if they are no longer students then what is left is a place for these kids to develop their skills for a potential future spot in the NFL/NBA. If that's the case then shouldn't the NFL and NBA fund it? In essence there is no attachment to the university and therefore no reason to wear an IU jersey or any other college jersey. If the kid is coming to college solely to prepare for the NFL or NBA I don't think they belong, plus because of the small number of athletes that play in those leagues if they have any brains at all they should know the value of what they're getting.

I think athletes should get some breaks on course loads due to the time commitment but even there, in my view, there really shouldn't be much leeway. There are many students who work a significant number of hour while in school (my son worked 30 or so hours per week while in school and still got a high GPA in a tough field and got his degree in four years). I went to school with IU football players and basketball players and they got meaningful degrees. Why is the difficulty in doing that today any different?

I support NIL because no other student in college is precluded from making money on their name, image or likeness (Instagram anybody?). So college athletes shouldn't be precluded from doing so just because the student activity they are involved in requires them to compete in a sport.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT