ADVERTISEMENT

Hillbilly Elegy- The reality show...

When you print unlimited money and run up 30 trillion dollar debts, you get asset inflation. Of course it screws over the middle/lower classes and is one of the main drivers for income inequality. How do you fix this? What should especially young people do? Adopt the bitcoin standard and watch fiat continue to implode.
I don't know. I guess go to school and study shit that pays well: finance/engineering/medicine. No more broad education for the sake of personal edification.

Vance is a smart guy and he would improve the Senate.

Your Trump-centric analysis and post ignores the basic political shift that is going on before our eyes. The GOP is the party of the commoners these days. And the racial differences among the commoners is not important. While the liberals and Democrats focus on useless stuff like diversity inclusion and equity at elite institutions, the commoners struggle to put food on the table and struggle to drive to work. While the liberals and Democrats focus on gender equity, the commoners struggle to put food on the table and struggle to drive to work. Wile the liberals and Democrats focus on eliminating fossil fuels and building charging stations, the commoners struggle to put food on the table and struggle to drive to work. While the liberals and Democrats yammer about the wealthy paying their fair share, the commoners struggle to put food on the table and struggle to drive to work. For his part, Trump was singularly focused on jobs. The commoners got that. The liberals and Democrats are focused on irrelevant bullshit.
Lower the costs of health care and higher education and fewer commoners would struggle to put food on their table and gas in their tanks. Which party is working to fix those problems?

I don't know. I guess go to school and study shit that pays well: finance/engineering/medicine. No more broad education for the sake of personal edification.
I agree if you’re able to get those degrees. That’s maybe 15-25% of the population? And I strongly agree with personal edification comment. Unfortunately, some degrees like education just don’t add up anymore, because of the inflation in higher education costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
Lower the costs of health care and higher education and fewer commoners would struggle to put food on their table and gas in their tanks. Which party is working to fix those problems?
I know which party has caused run away inflation and energy costs!

And the liberals and democrats are going to get their ignorant woke asses kicked out of control of house and senate. Biden’s puppeteer is going to rule the country as a dictator going around the house and senate.

We will see in November 2024 how Americans react to it being more important to teach six year olds to get rid of their genitals than doing something constructive about rising fuel prices and groceries. I suppose since it’s Putin’s fault he can assassinate him.
Thank goodness.
Only 7 more months until we live in a perfect country, and the new PTB will fix all problems on Day 1. This board might as well shut down, because everything will be smooth sailing, and there will be nothing to bitch about. All we have to do is hold on as a country for 7 more months. I sure hope all the doom and gloomers who constantly tell us how this nation is a dumpster fire on the very brink of collapse, and we are days away from The Purge/Mad Max/Judge Dredd end up being incorrect.
Then we can get Greg Stillson back in the White House where he belongs before the election was STOLEN from him, and all will be well with the world. Hell, I may even join Indywtf's St. Donald's Church, and then maybe I'll stop getting 20 emails a day from him and his family and his disciples begging for my money.
We can do this!

I mean it's only common sense Marv. If an average arthro knee surgery is 20k maybe Cigna reimburses at 15k. Medicare might reimburse at $3,500. Why would doctors go for that? Medicare for all would be tantamount to Medicare/Medicaid rates across the board. Doctors, hospitals and physician groups would be cutting their noses off to spite their faces to support it. So I don't believe it
That's just for the surgeon. $3,500 for an 1 or 2 hour operation is still pretty good money.

And I'm sure you know more about it than I do, but isn't everything negotiable when insurance companies are on the hook?

Agreed with most but disagree with Med Mal insurance dropping. Insurance companies won't do that. It's been a long time but last I looked at the research med mal carriers didn't drop insurance rates despite SIGNIFICANT tort reform - caps, etc reducing recoveries/payouts
Not to support Marv or anything, because I believe in free market solutions, but doctors never made the money pre-Medicare that they do today.

My uncle was a doctor, eventually becomine chief of staff at a hospital. He never lived in anything more than a 3 BR ranch (with 3 kids) and lived modestly. He did invest in farmland, but that was more for sentimentality than financial investment. And he even made house calls.

Anyway, he said everything felt the same about Medicare before it came in - that doctors wouldn't make as much money, many would leave medicine, etc. Well, nothing could be further from the truth. Doctors today live in McMansions and all are doing much better today than they did back in the 'good old days'.

I'm against "medicare for all", but not because it will put financial strain on doctors.

Reactions: UncleMark
That's just for the surgeon. $3,500 for an 1 or 2 hour operation is still pretty good money.

And I'm sure you know more about it than I do, but isn't everything negotiable when insurance companies are on the hook?
I don't know how the contracts work between hospitals and insurance companies. I dealt with liens from insurance companies and medical providers. They were certainly negotiable. Miserable process

Not to support Marv or anything, because I believe in free market solutions, but doctors never made the money pre-Medicare that they do today.

My uncle was a doctor, eventually becomine chief of staff at a hospital. He never lived in anything more than a 3 BR ranch (with 3 kids) and lived modestly. He did invest in farmland, but that was more for sentimentality than financial investment. And he even made house calls.

Anyway, he said everything felt the same about Medicare before it came in - that doctors wouldn't make as much money, many would leave medicine, etc. Well, nothing could be further from the truth. Doctors today live in McMansions and all are doing much better today than they did back in the 'good old days'.

I'm against "medicare for all", but not because it will put financial strain on doctors.

That's hospitals. Most provide doctors won't take Medicaid and the reimbursement rate for Medicare is terrible. I've seen those rates over thousands of patients itemized bills

That's hospitals. Most provide doctors won't take Medicaid and the reimbursement rate for Medicare is terrible. I've seen those rates over thousands of patients itemized bills
Not just hospitals. Medicaid is another matter. Doctors have done much better post-Medicare than they did before.

One of the reasons, of course, is that more people who are of Medicare age go to the doctor more than pre-Medicare, because they do have Medicare insurance - which they paid for.

I'm against 'Medicare for all', but doctors have done very well under traditional Medicare.

Reactions: UncleMark
I swear to God Bulk it doesn't matter where you look. 90 percent of the homes out there are pending and at ridiculous prices. All over.

Yeah it was impossible to know.
Well, I'm sure that Biden and Harris and AOC and the Squad and Bernie will soon propose waiving all that pseudo-debt and having the government decide what the proper sale price should have been, and taxing the 1% to pay back the ill-gotten gains to those who were involuntarily fleeced when they bought a house, a car, an education, a bar of soap. Individualized fairness, as determined by The Non-Deplorables.

Government has been heavily involved in higher education and health care and both sectors have seen some of the highest inflation the past couple of decades. You really think more government involvement is going to bring down costs, this time?

• Wow
Government has been heavily involved in higher education and health care and both sectors have seen some of the highest inflation the past couple of decades. You really think more government involvement is going to bring down costs, this time?
In what way does government regulate college tuitions? Same with health care. It's still over 50% a free market, with government prices well below market (see the posts above). There's a reason that chart is hardly publicized. It's crap.

In what way does government regulate college tuitions? Same with health care. It's still over 50% a free market, with government prices well below market (see the posts above). There's a reason that chart is hardly publicized. It's crap.
The Government backs school loans. You don’t think this increases demand for tuition? Which in turn increases prices for a scarce service?

Are you trying to argue the increase of college tuition is from the free market?

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark and DANC
I'm still mystified how any of this has anything to do with the GOP Civil War in Ohio, (the actual subject of this thread) which has evolved into Club For Growth and the Tea Party urging a blockade and protests at Trump's rally for Vance in Ohio tonight? Of course this strikes me as needless hysteria on the part of the Mandel backers, since Trump will devote 95% of his remarks to discussing his Favorite topic- Trump. I imagine many rally goers will leave unsure of the name of the guy Trump supports, and some will likely think Trump himself is running for the Ohio GOP nomination...

And this must see tv is beginning to extend to PA as well. It's even become an issue at Fox News, where Laura is railing against both Trump and Hannity for supporting Oz. The page has embedded videos (wish I could link individually) showing Mikey Flynn talking about how great Mandel is, and both Laura and Kellyanne talking about what a phony Oz is. Not just Maga world, but actual Maga morons split right down the middle...

The Government backs school loans. You don’t think this increases demand for tuition? Which in turn increases prices for a scare service?

Are you trying to argue the increase of college tuition is from the free market?
If you're suggesting the problem is subsidizing the cost to make tuition and healthcare more affordable, rather than direct government negotiation to actually bring down the price, then we may be in agreement.

The Government backs school loans. You don’t think this increases demand for tuition? Which in turn increases prices for a scarce service?

Bawlmer's not too bright. Otherwise, he'd know much of higher education is funded by state government.

Bawlmer's not too bright. Otherwise, he'd know much of higher education is funded by state government.
I guess I'm not, considering how much I shelled out for my 2 kids' sheepskins.

Should have had them borrow the money since they won't be required to pay it back.
That's what outside shooter gets. Drove a car with a half a million miles when the gov will just forgive it anyway. Like the King of Versailles says: never use your own money

I'm still mystified how any of this has anything to do with the GOP Civil War in Ohio, (the actual subject of this thread) which has evolved into Club For Growth and the Tea Party urging a blockade and protests at Trump's rally for Vance in Ohio tonight? Of course this strikes me as needless hysteria on the part of the Mandel backers, since Trump will devote 95% of his remarks to discussing his Favorite topic- Trump. I imagine many rally goers will leave unsure of the name of the guy Trump supports, and some will likely think Trump himself is running for the Ohio GOP nomination...

And this must see tv is beginning to extend to PA as well. It's even become an issue at Fox News, where Laura is railing against both Trump and Hannity for supporting Oz. The page has embedded videos (wish I could link individually) showing Mikey Flynn talking about how great Mandel is, and both Laura and Kellyanne talking about what a phony Oz is. Not just Maga world, but actual Maga morons split right down the middle...
So it's the final weekend push in the Ohio Civil War and what a cast of competing characters...

Vance is bringing in MTG and Gaetz... (I guess he feels he needs to shore up the Batshit crazy and pedo votes)...

Mandel has Cruz and McIntosh and the Club for Growth... Apparently Trump is none too happy about this... 3 weeks ago Trump was calling McIntosh a "great man", but as McIntosh has continued to push for Mandel, Trump has asked third parties to tell McIntosh GFY...

And then the 3rd prospective POTUS candidate backing his own candidate, we have Rand Paul stumping for Gibbons...

Ross Douthat wrote an opinion piece for the NYT, describing it as a resurfacing of the 2016 factions, essentially Trump populism vs movement Conservatism... I just call it must see entertainment...

So it's the final weekend push in the Ohio Civil War and what a cast of competing characters...

Vance is bringing in MTG and Gaetz... (I guess he feels he needs to shore up the Batshit crazy and pedo votes)...

Mandel has Cruz and McIntosh and the Club for Growth... Apparently Trump is none too happy about this... 3 weeks ago Trump was calling McIntosh a "great man", but as McIntosh has continued to push for Mandel, Trump has asked third parties to tell McIntosh GFY...

And then the 3rd prospective POTUS candidate backing his own candidate, we have Rand Paul stumping for Gibbons...

Ross Douthat wrote an opinion piece for the NYT, describing it as a resurfacing of the 2016 factions, essentially Trump populism vs movement Conservatism... I just call it must see entertainment...

And at Trump rally he talked about his good buddy JD Mandel and how well he was doing in Ohio. Lol

Reactions: cosmickid

So I didn't think it could get any more entertaining... But here is Trump just a few hours ago in Nebraska, presumably endorsing someone there. Now a few days earlier he held the huge "endorsement rally" for Vance in Ohio, where he basically mentioned Vance amidst all of the whining he did about the election being stolen, and how much he hated it when people called him stupid (more on that front later)

Now today just literally moments after going thru his whole "I aced the intelligence test" stump speech spiel, Trump literally tells the crowd in Nebraska that for the Ohio Senate he endorsed a brand new candidate who we didn't even know existed "JD Mandel"...

The only thing more hilarious (and humiliating for Vance) would have been if Trump had said something like "Not Mandel- the other guy... Whatever his name is"..."Anyway, if the election hadn't been stolen from me I could be playing golf right now, instead of standing here in bum**** OK, or Iowa or wherever the hell I am."

Reactions: BCCHoosier
So I didn't think it could get any more entertaining... But here is Trump just a few hours ago in Nebraska, presumably endorsing someone there. Now a few days earlier he held the huge "endorsement rally" for Vance in Ohio, where he basically mentioned Vance amidst all of the whining he did about the election being stolen, and how much he hated it when people called him stupid (more on that front later)

Now today just literally moments after going thru his whole "I aced the intelligence test" stump speech spiel, Trump literally tells the crowd in Nebraska that for the Ohio Senate he endorsed a brand new candidate who we didn't even know existed "JD Mandel"...

The only thing more hilarious (and humiliating for Vance) would have been if Trump had said something like "Not Mandel- the other guy... Whatever his name is"..."Anyway, if the election hadn't been stolen from me I could be playing golf right now, instead of standing here in bum**** OK, or Iowa or wherever the hell I am."
330 million people in this country and our last two presidents are Trump and Biden. Pathetic.

Reactions: All4You
330 million people in this country and our last two presidents are Trump and Biden. Pathetic.
I'm sure noodle is far more familiar with Vance but on paper he's clearly impressive. Best selling author, young, vet, Yale law. It's demeaning to think that all the voters are incapable of spending 45 seconds to get on his website and see where he stands on issues. This "but what does Trump think" and who is endorsing him and what did trump say and really this whole thread is beyond stupid. The guy states where he stands on every issue on his website. From abortion to guns to small businesses. If you are a conservative he checks many of the boxes, and has to be an improvement over many of the cadavers in there now.

Last edited:
I'm sure noodle is far more familiar with Vance but on paper he's clearly impressive. Best selling author, young, vet, Yale law. It's demeaning to think that all the voters are incapable of spending 45 seconds to get on his website and see where he stands on issues. This "but what does Trump think" and who is endorsing him and what did trump say and really this whole thread is beyond stupid. The guy states where he stands on every issue on his website. From abortion to guns to small businesses. If you are a conservative he checks many of the boxes, and has to be an improvement over many of the cadavers in there now.
I get that. I just struggle with anyone who has an opinion swing as wildly as JD did on Trump.

I read his book. Surprised he is inviting the nutcases (Gaetz and Greene) in the Republican party to stump for him.

I get that. I just struggle with anyone who has an opinion swing as wildly as JD did on Trump.

I read his book. Surprised he is inviting the nutcases (Gaetz and Greene) in the Republican party to stump for him.
Vance was stricken with anti-trumpism, a disease that papers over political nuance with meaningless talking points. Vance now clearly and unmistakably supports most of Trump’s policies, as should any Republican. Vance has shed the fog of Trump‘s personality defects.

Vance was stricken with anti-trumpism, a disease that papers over political nuance with meaningless talking points. Vance now clearly and unmistakably supports most of Trump’s policies, as should any Republican. Vance has shed the fog of Trump‘s personality defects.
You finally admit it! Congrats. The opposite disease to anti-Trumpism is, wait for it, TRUMPISM. See it does exist.

I know it’s not in your DNA, but it’s OK to just admit you stepped in it. Really, it is.
You betcha. It takes a hard head and strong DNA to withstand todays world where shaming becomes cancelling, picketing. becomes destruction, protests become riots, senility is leadership, and men menstruate. .

• Haha
And at Trump rally he talked about his good buddy JD Mandel and how well he was doing in Ohio. Lol
It doesn’t matter who wins the Republican primary. They will be more dedicated to culture war grievances than personal freedom or constraining the size of government. Traditional conservative principles and all.

He's duplicitous and sticks his finger in the wind to decide what pants he's wearing that morning.

That won't improve anything.
With Trump's endorsement J.D. Vance won his primary. Trump is going after Mitch.

And you know damn well that “pay their fair share” is not about taxes but is about Schadenfreude and politics.
So true because if you ask anyone who is saying that what "their fair share" is all you'll ever get is that they should pay more.

Trump is going after Mitch.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Lucy01
It doesn’t matter who wins the Republican primary. They will be more dedicated to culture war grievances than personal freedom or constraining the size of government. Traditional conservative principles and all.
So let's look at three separate GOP Primary wins in Ohio. Vance for Portman's seat, DeWine running for Governor as an incumbent, and Majewski running in Ohio's 9th...I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that the most likely to win the general, and most easily is DeWine. Significantly, DeWine won against 3 pro-Trump challengers and both Vance and Majewski basically won by being considered the most Trumpiest of candidates running in their respective races.

Majewski has a shot because the GOP has gerrymandered the 9th and it is no longer a safe Dem district. Under the new redistricting, it is essentially a district that Trump would have won by 3 points, so we'll see how Majewski's brand of extremism plays. He was in DC on Jan 6,although he maintains he never entered the Capitol.
He also has been photographed multiple times in QAnon gear, although he claims not to be "affiliated"...Even more cringeworthy is his MAGA rapper persona

Not to mention his yard paint homage to Trump that earned him kudos from Tucker and a shoutout from the Orange one at his rally for "JP Mandel" last week...

And speaking of "JP Mandel"...his race with Tim Ryan will be extremely interesting...

Here's some interesting comments from Feb...

I predict this will be a much larger issue in the general election than it was with GOP Primary voters? Why, because there are roughly 80,000 people who consider themselves of Ukrainian extraction in Northeast Ohio. Many of them are traditional Democrats, esp in the Cleveland/Parma area. Exactly the type of people Vance will have to win, and unlike his GOP opponents, Ryan is already poised to focus on issues like that, as well as the Thiel/Vance connection...Not to mention the Trump endorsement, which is a plus in the Primary but likely a negative in the general...

Can Vance successfully tack back to center after having to go full on wingnut to come from 10 pts back in the Primary? Like I said, interesting...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT