ADVERTISEMENT

Fife's firing was poorly handled and may not be forgotten

Bobbyhh

Sophomore
Oct 14, 2007
Dane Fife's popularity amongst the fanbase is apparent from the threads below. I feel for Dane whose mother is dying of stage 4 cancer and he left a secure 10 year job to go to his alma mater and moved his family to Bloomington and now has to find a new job and move his family again in disgrace. I think the way it was handled was rotten and lacked a lot of integrity. For all of us under 45, we dont remember Mike Woodson but we will never forget Dane Fife and his run to the National championship. I thought the press release was really poorly worded and insulting for such a stand up person as Dane and he deserved better than that. A good severance package making it worth his while to have uprooted his family to a new place and then a year later have to leave and speaking good words about what he did well and just saying it was not a personality fit would more than suffice. It wasnt that they fired him. It was how they did it that does not sit well with me. When his firing was followed up by having RabJohns write a blog slamming him after he was fired, I think that is about as low as you can go. If Woodson says jump, Rabjohns will say how high and he is owned by Woodson and IU. If he does not do what they say, they will cut his access and he wont have any "inside" scoops to blog about. So, a phone call from the athletic department to Rabjohns, and bam Fife is now the bad guy and leaves with a tarnished reputation when he spent 10 successful years at Michigan State with a stellar program and reputation only to take a lateral position to go back to his alma mater, a place he loves, and help bring the program back. When he left Michigan State, he left with honor and with a great reputation and resume with nothing a manager who had nothing but great things to say about him after 10 years. Now, after 1 year, he leaves the College he loves with a stained reputation and it did not have to do down like that.

So, going forward, if Indiana loses, this will never be forgotten. This whole situation really stinks and it is not the decision to let Dane go that stinks but how IU disgraced a loyal alumni in their communication of letting him go that does not sit right with me. The only way Woodson gets past this is to win and win big. Firing a popular Hoosier icon in disgrace after only one season while his mother is on her death bed and then justifying it by calling out his hit wimpy bloggers to write a hit piece on how bad he was for the program, has caused me to lose a lot of respect for Woodson. I was in full support until this happened and now I really question his character. The only thing that gets Woodson past this is winning and winning big because that is all it will take to make a majority of the fanbase forget about this but anything short of a shot for Big Ten title and a sweet 16 or better run and I think this situation will be like pouring lighter fluid on an already fired up fanbase anytime he comes up short.

Dane Fife's popularity amongst the fanbase is apparent from the threads below. I feel for Dane whose mother is dying of stage 4 cancer and he left a secure 10 year job to go to his alma mater and moved his family to Bloomington and now has to find a new job and move his family again in disgrace. I think the way it was handled was rotten and lacked a lot of integrity. For all of us under 45, we dont remember Mike Woodson but we will never forget Dane Fife and his run to the National championship. I thought the press release was really poorly worded and insulting for such a stand up person as Dane and he deserved better than that. A good severance package making it worth his while to have uprooted his family to a new place and then a year later have to leave and speaking good words about what he did well and just saying it was not a personality fit would more than suffice. It wasnt that they fired him. It was how they did it that does not sit well with me. When his firing was followed up by having RabJohns write a blog slamming him after he was fired, I think that is about as low as you can go. If Woodson says jump, Rabjohns will say how high and he is owned by Woodson and IU. If he does not do what they say, they will cut his access and he wont have any "inside" scoops to blog about. So, a phone call from the athletic department to Rabjohns, and bam Fife is now the bad guy and leaves with a tarnished reputation when he spent 10 successful years at Michigan State with a stellar program and reputation only to take a lateral position to go back to his alma mater, a place he loves, and help bring the program back. When he left Michigan State, he left with honor and with a great reputation and resume with nothing a manager who had nothing but great things to say about him after 10 years. Now, after 1 year, he leaves the College he loves with a stained reputation and it did not have to do down like that.

So, going forward, if Indiana loses, this will never be forgotten. This whole situation really stinks and it is not the decision to let Dane go that stinks but how IU disgraced a loyal alumni in their communication of letting him go that does not sit right with me. The only way Woodson gets past this is to win and win big. Firing a popular Hoosier icon in disgrace after only one season while his mother is on her death bed and then justifying it by calling out his hit wimpy bloggers to write a hit piece on how bad he was for the program, has caused me to lose a lot of respect for Woodson. I was in full support until this happened and now I really question his character. The only thing that gets Woodson past this is winning and winning big because that is all it will take to make a majority of the fanbase forget about this but anything short of a shot for Big Ten title and a sweet 16 or better run and I think this situation will be like pouring lighter fluid on an already fired up fanbase anytime he comes up short.
Thanks for your comments Dane!

I know why he was fired and probably wasn't fired sooner trying to end season first......I agree 100% and sure Woody wouldn't have had to do it. I didn't bother to read all your gibberish tho.

Reactions: steave and iubud
The best outcome would have been for Dane to do his job. The back story was going to come out no matter what. The differing opinions that have been expressed on this forum support the clear wording of the press release that separating Dane was in its best interest of the program.

Who?

winning cures all, but again, what was your way out if he and CMW were at odds? A HC has to have AC's they believe in and trust. If that was broken, regardless of who was at fault, getting it over with expeditiously is the right thing. I believe he did the right thing with NW, and I believe it appears he did the right thing here. Again, if they truly were at odds, what would you have wanted to see happen?

I really don't give a shit but repeating or believing conspiracies based on internet rumors is a special kind of f**king stupid.
You gotta love modern discourse - you have no come back and you just call it a "conspiracy theory."

Reactions: Lucy01

LOL. All this "angst" but will be forgotten if Woody wins. Seems pretty shallow/hollow.

If I was really that bothered by all this, I'd find a new team. I mean, if I was truly upset enough to write a long condemnation like this.

Reactions: swman
LOL. All this "angst" but will be forgotten if Woody wins. Seems pretty shallow/hollow.

If I was really that bothered by all this, I'd find a new team. I mean, if I was truly upset enough to write a long condemnation like this.
Same thought here - the only way Woodson can redeem himself for this terrible personal affront is to "win and win big"! 😆

Reactions: steave
winning cures all, but again, what was your way out if he and CMW were at odds? A HC has to have AC's they believe in and trust. If that was broken, regardless of who was at fault, getting it over with expeditiously is the right thing. I believe he did the right thing with NW, and I believe it appears he did the right thing here. Again, if they truly were at odds, what would you have wanted to see happen?
A gracious press release praising Dane for all the work he put in over the year and some encouraging words about what he did right that will help find his next position along with saying that they had two different coaching philosophies and CMW and Dane thought it would be best if Dane can go somewhere to Coach where his philosophy matches the Head Coaches or somewhere along those lines and gave him a nice severance since they did take him away from a 10 year job.

Reactions: DANC
A gracious press release praising Dane for all the work he put in over the year and some encouraging words about what he did right that will help find his next position along with saying that they had two different coaching philosophies and CMW and Dane thought it would be best if Dane can go somewhere to Coach where his philosophy matches the Head Coaches or somewhere along those lines and gave him a nice severance since they did take him away from a 10 year job.
Half the things you’re asking for were done. He’s getting the rest of his contract which is $375k so his severance is fine. And the press release did thank Fife for his work and wished him well on his next steps.

Not a fan of the way it was handled and agree with you up to where you write about "...his next position..."

No need to go into details of differing philosophies, etc. in a release. Just thank him for his contributions, wish him well, and acknowledge that he will be successful in future coaching endeavors. Nevertheless, sorry for Fife on the situation.

Reactions: IU73 and turney333
I wonder how things would have been different if Dane had agreed to resign, per Woodson's request, instead of listening to his wife and best friend and insist on being fired. When a person forces his boss to fire him, he shouldn't expect a rosy exit. Life doesn't work that way.

I wonder how things would have been different if Dane had agreed to resign, per Woodson's request, instead of listening to his wife and best friend and insist on being fired. When a person forces his boss to fire him, he shouldn't expect a rosy exit. Life doesn't work that way.
Where did the info on how he made his decision come from?

Dumb. His next job will not be the result of a god damned press release. He has plenty of references from three universities.

I couldn't read it all without going blind but it appears your issue is with RabJohns not IU.

This is next level misappropriation of blame and buthurttedness.

First there were rumors about Woodson… not speculating on where they came from. Then Woodson fired Fife. I choose to believe he had reason to do so but feel free to believe he did not. Then Woodson had a press release that basically said Fife was ultimately not a fit on the coaching staff, thanked him, and said he would always be part of the family. That is about a neutral of a firing as I have ever seen. Then there were rumors about Fife….. again not speculating on where they came from.

Bottom line, Woodson didn’t think Fife was a fit and let him go. All rumors aside (and many probably aren’t true or half truths about both Woodson and Fife) Woodson did what he felt was best for the program. I support Woodson and IU. Let’s go IU.

First there were rumors about Woodson… not speculating on where they came from. Then Woodson fired Fife. I choose to believe he had reason to do so but feel free to believe he did not. Then Woodson had a press release that basically said Fife was ultimately not a fit on the coaching staff, thanked him, and said he would always be part of the family. That is about a neutral of a firing as I have ever seen. Then there were rumors about Fife….. again not speculating on where they came from.

Bottom line, Woodson didn’t think Fife was a fit and let him go. All rumors aside (and many probably aren’t true or half truths about both Woodson and Fife) Woodson did what he felt was best for the program. I support Woodson and IU. Let’s go IU.
I dont think anyone here has an issue with Woodson not thinking Fife was a fit and then letting him go. It was the way he let him go. It could have been communicated much more professionally being that Fife is an Indiana legend.

Reactions: DANC
I dont think anyone here has an issue with Woodson not thinking Fife was a fit and then letting him go. It was the way he let him go. It could have been communicated much more professionally being that Fife is an Indiana legend.
We have no idea how it was communicated to Fife directly. And again as firings go I have never seen one so neutral. I have zero issues with the way it went down from my perspective.

I couldn't read it all without going blind but it appears your issue is with RabJohns not IU.

This is next level misappropriation of blame and buthurttedness.
No, my issue is with both. Rabjohns does what IU tells him to do to keep his access to the program. I think most of us can connect the dots and see IU fired Dane Fife and bam here comes a hit piece from Rabjohns making Mike Woodson and IU look like the good guy and fife look like the bad guy. It does not take a rocket scientist to see that IU pushed him to write that. I also have issue with IU's press release. I thought it was harsh and unprofessional.

Reactions: DANC and EarlTubbs

Agree that if there’s anything slightly amiss it’s the rumors coming from rabjohns and the like. Even if true, it probably should have been kept in house, but we don’t know exactly where this info is coming from and it might not be anyone within a position of command within the athletic department or team so to blame the IU program is just conjecture.

also, if these rumors aren’t true, no one is exactly coming to Fifes defense to refute them. Defenders are basically saying they are rumors of which you should be skeptical

Agree that if there’s anything slightly amiss it’s the rumors coming from rabjohns and the like. Even if true, it probably should have been kept in house, but we don’t know exactly where this info is coming from and it might not be anyone within a position of command within the athletic department or team so to blame the IU program is just conjecture.

also, if these rumors aren’t true, no one is exactly coming to Fifes defense to refute them. Defenders are basically saying they are rumors of which you should be skeptical
Yeah I try to ignore rumors as much as possible. I have read them and hope they aren’t true. But for me Woodson’s press release told me all that I need to know. Fife wasn’t a fit, and Woodson is trying to do what is best for IU. That’s enough for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT