ADVERTISEMENT

Fife's firing was poorly handled and may not be forgotten

Dakich complaining on his show today about how Woodson and the other coaches “were always watching CNN” tells me everything I need to know. And I’m not taking political sides. What I’m saying is that it would seem pretty clear who would have been complaining to DD about the other coaches watching CNN. And to me - leaking complaints to scumbag DD, who is an enemy of the program - is a deal breaker.
Yup. What a funny thing to complain about. But that had to come directly from him.

Don't know why on earth that would be something to "complain" about. Everybody has the right to choose to be uninformed.
Which is exactly what Dane did and part of the reason he’s job searching.

Good post. I guess Dane hurt Woodson's feelings and he had to fire him 😂 I wouldn't have thought Woodson was soft, but I guess his ego is fragile.
What , in any of this, gives you the idea his feelings were hurt? I mean I guess his feelings were hurt a little if Dane wasn’t doing the recruiting job he was hired for.

Dane Fife's popularity amongst the fanbase is apparent from the threads below. I feel for Dane whose mother is dying of stage 4 cancer and he left a secure 10 year job to go to his alma mater and moved his family to Bloomington and now has to find a new job and move his family again in disgrace. I think the way it was handled was rotten and lacked a lot of integrity. For all of us under 45, we dont remember Mike Woodson but we will never forget Dane Fife and his run to the National championship. I thought the press release was really poorly worded and insulting for such a stand up person as Dane and he deserved better than that. A good severance package making it worth his while to have uprooted his family to a new place and then a year later have to leave and speaking good words about what he did well and just saying it was not a personality fit would more than suffice. It wasnt that they fired him. It was how they did it that does not sit well with me. When his firing was followed up by having RabJohns write a blog slamming him after he was fired, I think that is about as low as you can go. If Woodson says jump, Rabjohns will say how high and he is owned by Woodson and IU. If he does not do what they say, they will cut his access and he wont have any "inside" scoops to blog about. So, a phone call from the athletic department to Rabjohns, and bam Fife is now the bad guy and leaves with a tarnished reputation when he spent 10 successful years at Michigan State with a stellar program and reputation only to take a lateral position to go back to his alma mater, a place he loves, and help bring the program back. When he left Michigan State, he left with honor and with a great reputation and resume with nothing a manager who had nothing but great things to say about him after 10 years. Now, after 1 year, he leaves the College he loves with a stained reputation and it did not have to do down like that.

So, going forward, if Indiana loses, this will never be forgotten. This whole situation really stinks and it is not the decision to let Dane go that stinks but how IU disgraced a loyal alumni in their communication of letting him go that does not sit right with me. The only way Woodson gets past this is to win and win big. Firing a popular Hoosier icon in disgrace after only one season while his mother is on her death bed and then justifying it by calling out his hit wimpy bloggers to write a hit piece on how bad he was for the program, has caused me to lose a lot of respect for Woodson. I was in full support until this happened and now I really question his character. The only thing that gets Woodson past this is winning and winning big because that is all it will take to make a majority of the fanbase forget about this but anything short of a shot for Big Ten title and a sweet 16 or better run and I think this situation will be like pouring lighter fluid on an already fired up fanbase anytime he comes up short.
Dane Fife's popularity amongst the fanbase is apparent from the threads below. I feel for Dane whose mother is dying of stage 4 cancer and he left a secure 10 year job to go to his alma mater and moved his family to Bloomington and now has to find a new job and move his family again in disgrace. I think the way it was handled was rotten and lacked a lot of integrity. For all of us under 45, we dont remember Mike Woodson but we will never forget Dane Fife and his run to the National championship. I thought the press release was really poorly worded and insulting for such a stand up person as Dane and he deserved better than that. A good severance package making it worth his while to have uprooted his family to a new place and then a year later have to leave and speaking good words about what he did well and just saying it was not a personality fit would more than suffice. It wasnt that they fired him. It was how they did it that does not sit well with me. When his firing was followed up by having RabJohns write a blog slamming him after he was fired, I think that is about as low as you can go. If Woodson says jump, Rabjohns will say how high and he is owned by Woodson and IU. If he does not do what they say, they will cut his access and he wont have any "inside" scoops to blog about. So, a phone call from the athletic department to Rabjohns, and bam Fife is now the bad guy and leaves with a tarnished reputation when he spent 10 successful years at Michigan State with a stellar program and reputation only to take a lateral position to go back to his alma mater, a place he loves, and help bring the program back. When he left Michigan State, he left with honor and with a great reputation and resume with nothing a manager who had nothing but great things to say about him after 10 years. Now, after 1 year, he leaves the College he loves with a stained reputation and it did not have to do down like that.

So, going forward, if Indiana loses, this will never be forgotten. This whole situation really stinks and it is not the decision to let Dane go that stinks but how IU disgraced a loyal alumni in their communication of letting him go that does not sit right with me. The only way Woodson gets past this is to win and win big. Firing a popular Hoosier icon in disgrace after only one season while his mother is on her death bed and then justifying it by calling out his hit wimpy bloggers to write a hit piece on how bad he was for the program, has caused me to lose a lot of respect for Woodson. I was in full support until this happened and now I really question his character. The only thing that gets Woodson past this is winning and winning big because that is all it will take to make a majority of the fanbase forget about this but anything short of a shot for Big Ten title and a sweet 16 or better run and I think this situation will be like pouring lighter fluid on an already fired up fanbase anytime he comes up short.

Grammerly free version would be a good start.

Yup. What a funny thing to complain about. But that had to come directly from him.
Just throwing this out there. If we assume that Dane was complaining to Dakich that Woody and the other coaches were "always watching CNN", then I agree that Dane shouldn't be telling Dakich that stuff.

On the other hand, I don't see how that HAS to be political. The team did fight and claw for a #12 seed. I have a feeling that Dane is unaccustomed to sitting around watching the tube with the coaching staff unless game film or recruiting film was what was being watched "always". I would just be surprised if that's how Izzo and his staff spend their time.

Hopefully no parts of that story are true!

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Just throwing this out there. If we assume that Dane was complaining to Dakich that Woody and the other coaches were "always watching CNN", then I agree that Dane shouldn't be telling Dakich that stuff.

On the other hand, I don't see how that HAS to be political. The team did fight and claw for a #12 seed. I have a feeling that Dane is unaccustomed to sitting around watching the tube with the coaching staff unless game film or recruiting film was what was being watched "always". I would just be surprised if that's how Izzo and his staff spend their time.

Hopefully no parts of that story are true!
I agree that this could just be a comment made in a conversation between Fife and Dakich. No big deal.

What irks me is now Dakich bringing it onto his show. Why? What does it have to do with anything?

Reactions: turney333
I agree that this could just be a comment made in a conversation between Fife and Dakich. No big deal.

What irks me is now Dakich bringing it onto his show. Why? What does it have to do with anything?
Did Dakich first tell that story awhile back or since the firing. If it was awhile back, then he put Dane in a tight spot by revealing a private conversation. If he just said in the last 36 hours, then I don't know... maybe that's different, depending on whether or not it's true. If it's true, then maybe Dolson needs to forget to pay the cable bill :)

Reactions: turney333
Because he doesn't watch CNN?
No, it’s public knowledge that Dane was dead set against NIL and even made several Tweets about how he was against it. That was just one of the things he clashed with Woodson on. There is more.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
From what I’ve read he was given the chance to resign. If half of what I’ve read is true, he’s very lucky he wasn’t canned in the middle of the season.
It’s not secret at all. All over message boards, twitter, etc. Short form: Fife was negligent in recruiting, trashed NIL to recruits and parents, talking politics and conspiracy theories to players , even after being asked to stop, offered a recruit when Woodson told him not to.
Going by your own analyzation it is amazing you have a job at all. You post all this as fact but don't actually post facts to back it up. Everything right of the extreme left would be a political conspiracy to you. JFC, do you ever step back and look at yourself? So if someone hands you a paper using '' well its all over the internet'' as a source how do you grade them? I'm guessing it's on a huge curve depending on politics. I know every one loves you right? LOL

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU

I've forgotten about it already.

• Haha
Reactions: Gamaliel.
You gotta love modern discourse - you have no come back and you just call it a "conspiracy theory."

hold up.

the burden is not on the other person to prove a negative In order to disprove your pet theory.

modern discourse that is not.

If Fife's activities made it more difficult for Woody to do his job, I'm glad he is gone.

At the same time I believe we will be a good head coach at a mid major very soon. UE will fire their coach as soon as they hire a new AD. I would be happy for Lander to come home and have Fife for their coach. I might actually go to a game or two.

If this was an issue of non-fit then no issues with Woody pulling the on/off the bus move. What remains very curious is how Fife is on a very successful staff for 10 years and ours for 1. Yes, I've read all the alleged sins.

The statement to me was somewhat pretentious and could have been more respectful. I'm all for a confident leader but it's not like the program has "arrived" by any means this year. We are basically at Archie's 2019 peak IMO. Yes, its early, but I've said this with almost every post RMK coach.

I think the NCAA bid (which in hindsight is very questionable now) placated people enough that this is not the WTF moment it would be if we were post NIT loss (let's be honest, we would not have won the NIT this year).

I get it. People believe what they want to believe, and this is a perfect case in point. Many here are jumping to believe as gospel clickbait posted by someone that was considered an absolute joke to people here just days ago.
Despite what some think I am not a fife fan boy. I liked him as a player but that's it. My beef is how it was handled. All of this could have been avoided without leaking a hit on fife. It did nothing but divide us. Just fire him and move on. What good comes from trying to destroy him? I guess people like revenge but this early in a coaching tenure it is toxic. Some will say bad man and some will say no.

Dakich complaining on his show today about how Woodson and the other coaches “were always watching CNN” tells me everything I need to know. And I’m not taking political sides. What I’m saying is that it would seem pretty clear who would have been complaining to DD about the other coaches watching CNN. And to me - leaking complaints to scumbag DD, who is an enemy of the program - is a deal breaker.
I think DD is alot more connected than people think. Is he hated by some sure. But I don't think he is an enemy of the program. Scumbag is a harsh word. I mean if they shunned fife because he wasnt a cnn guy they better hire a cnn guy. I just think there is far more to the story than we are getting. My opinion.

I mean I dont sit at my job and watch fox in front on my co workers. Why are they wathcing anything at work political. I mean if dane is not a liberal he probably does not want to sit around with four guys and watch cnn trash Republicans. It would be the same if it was reversed. Just turn it off period.

Last edited:
I think DD is alot more connected than people think. Is he hated by some sure. But I don't think he is an enemy of the program. Scumbag is a harsh word. I mean if they shunned fife because he wasnt a cnn guy they better hire a cnn guy. I just think there is far more to the story than we are getting. My opinion.
Zeke knows, just ask her except she really doesn't since she never has any facts to post

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Zeke knows, just ask her except she really doesn't since she never has any facts to post
Who is zeke? I read DD is very connected with former players still. Lots of guys from the fife era. People don't like him but I think he has some legit info. He is from the region like my old man they can be a bit in your face..

When Mike Woodson suspended the Northwestern revelers he had them dress for the game and he kept everything in the locker room

Fife must have crossed some lines. Somehow I don't think he is a victim here. Woodson is a smart guy. There has to be a lot more to this.

When Mike Woodson suspended the Northwestern revelers he had them dress for the game and he kept everything in the locker room

Fife must have crossed some lines. Somehow I don't think he is a victim here. Woodson is a smart guy. There has to be a lot more to this.
Maybe but considering woodson never wanted fife from the sounds of it maybe they are just trashing him as a reason to release him
I dont know but clearly fife was a dolson hire. It's just too bad he has to he trashed. Usually these things are handled quietly and I am guessing at some point fife will hit back. This whole thing is ugly when it did not have to be at all. We should be talking about the future but iu never disappoints with drama.

Who is zeke? I read DD is very connected with former players still. Lots of guys from the fife era. People don't like him but I think he has some legit info. He is from the region like my old man they can be a bit in your face..
Zeke4ahs a poster on here that knows everything about everything but never actually says anything

Got ya there are several of them. I muted most of them like coach geez.
I never do that, but she is an insufferable leftist that has a chip on her shoulder as a woman and thinks the only things right in the world are her and what she chooses to believe. She said she had all this stuff that she saw on the internet about Fife but never has any facts to back it up.

I never do that, but she is an insufferable leftist that has a chip on her shoulder as a woman and thinks the only things right in the world are her and what she chooses to believe. She said she had all this stuff that she saw on the internet about Fife but never has any facts to back it up.
Just run with what you are told like the duke lacrosse case. Atlanta bombing. People like her would have richard jewell fried before the truth came out. Imagine if one day the shoe was on her foot with internet rumors. She would lose it

I choose not to hang out with people like that. Just very scary people and honestly sounds like the type of person who would throw you under the bs in two seconds for her gain.

There is a reason I quit twitter and facebook years ago. Its loaded with people like her and they feed off each other big time. I can stillstuff pull a Twitter post if I want but I am not a member.

Just run with what you are told like the duke lacrosse case. Atlanta bombing. People like her would have richard jewell fried before the truth came out. Imagine if one day the shoe was on her foot with internet rumors. She would lose it

I choose not to hang out with people like that. Just very scary people and honestly sounds like the type of person who would throw you under the bs in two seconds for her gain.
In the first row of the Salem witch trials trying to control her fervor. Burn em Burn em

Last edited:
Reactions: Crayfish57
No, I don't put things on boards much nor do I tweet or facebook or much else. However, when I feel compelled, I do so. As someone who was a teammate of Dane's at IU and was in the "trenches" with him so to speak. I completely agree with the original post. This was handled poorly as if Dane was someone without a prior affiliation with and love of IU and the basketball program. That's the difference here. I've known him for over 20 years. What has taken place is more of a "hit job" or character assassination after the fact with the number of stories out there about what he did or didn't do. I know this man. He is a good man. He is a good coach. This is the most I've been disappointed with the IU basketball program for the last 20 years. I realize some of that is personal, but how does someone stay at MSU for 10 years and then transition to the institution he loves and get fired after one year? It's just wrong and I'm not getting over it for a while whether they win or lose. This is where I stand as someone who poured sweat, blood, and tears into the program.

No, I don't put things on boards much nor do I tweet or facebook or much else. However, when I feel compelled, I do so. As someone who was a teammate of Dane's at IU and was in the "trenches" with him so to speak. I completely agree with the original post. This was handled poorly as if Dane was someone without a prior affiliation with and love of IU and the basketball program. That's the difference here. I've known him for over 20 years. What has taken place is more of a "hit job" or character assassination after the fact with the number of stories out there about what he did or didn't do. I know this man. He is a good man. He is a good coach. This is the most I've been disappointed with the IU basketball program for the last 20 years. I realize some of that is personal, but how does someone stay at MSU for 10 years and then transition to the institution he loves and get fired after one year? It's just wrong and I'm not getting over it for a while whether they win or lose. This is where I stand as someone who poured sweat, blood, and tears into the program.

Woody poured blood sweat and tears too. IU made him the guy, not Fife. If Fife was the guy and Woody was the assistant, I promise you Fife would have wanted him gone. Ask him what he thinks of Woody, it ain’t pretty. They were not gonna work well together. This was gonna happen.

Do you know one of my good friends that replaced Fife and #11? Joe Haarman? .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT