ADVERTISEMENT

Post your favorite Youtube live musical vids here......

HEY! You didn't listen to this. I know you didn't because

you didn't comment. If you did listen and didn't comment, shame on you. vbg We've talked about classical music, you know where I stand (generally?) I know you like it so you really need to listen to this. No one else will appreciate it like you will. Or understand what is going on - because they wont care.

"This" being Rye Whiskey - which is played with his band. You need both to understand what this guy is.

I mean Yo Yo, Segovia, DiMeola, Beck, Rhodes, Vai, special. From a technical ability level. Not as a songwriter or composer. In fact he may actually be better than all listed on a technical level and I understand how bold that statement is.

The technical ability on display is absolutely amazing. **Here's why. Listen to his notes. The clarity and especially the harmonics created by those notes. (the high frequency and sustained ringing of the notes which are created when the string is plucked ) He's making those on on a freakin Mandolin. I've never heard a mando sound like that. I've never heard a mando coming close to sounding like that.

I've played mandolin. I've listened to it. I know others that are exceptionally good at it. I'm not. I've heard Bush and others. No one, no one, plays notes like that. The touch and timing required is beyond surgeon level sensitive. To do what he is doing on any other string instrument would be enough to call him great. To do it on Mandolin, is almost a superpower and one far more advanced than Batman's belt.

He makes at least three errors; a buzzing note from a bad fingering, an almost dead note, and then a timing mistake in the rhythm part from being off on his grip. Not that I could ever dream of doing better, just sayin'. Even so, to play that piece on that instrument and to sound like that. That's special.

Though not my type of music. I'm more into old timey than bluegrass (*yes there's a difference) and classical tends to bore me to death. Too many notes in each. This guy is just so incredibly talented that it amazes me. I sit here in complete awe and with slight jealousy, listening to him. He makes most guitar shredders sound like talentless hacks.

* in old timey one person plays breaks (melody or lead) while everyone else comps. (plays an accomp .. accom .. acc.. plays a backing piece.) In bluegrass everyone breaks. There's also a difference in how or where in the mouth the vocals come from.. You know that nasal tone.. same songs though.

Anyways. I could have just said "Chris Thile is a badass".. but it wouldn't do his talent justice. Bless Shiva for making me Shanti.

..lol

This post was edited on 4/19 3:22 AM by Guy_Fawkes

Transcription and arrangement

They are underappreciated arts in our age.

He's good. He's got a very clean technique that lends itself well to the Bach. Although technically very good, this small sample size suggests to me he's a bit mechanical. Guys like Yo-Yo Ma and Segovia - it's not just technical ability; there's also soul and emotion there. Yes, even classical music needs a personal touch to be done properly. Compare Yo-Yo Ma's Suite No. 1 to any other cellist, and you'll see what I mean. It's the little things, you know, like that slight delay that's not quite enough to throw off your rhythm, but is enough to highlight a particular note. Having just the right amount of vibrato at the right pace. You know the kinds of things I'm talking about.

But, like I said, small sample size. I'd take the time to listen to more of him.

The look of his mandolin piqued my interest, so I looked it up. It's the same model Bill Monroe played. That's definitely some impressive versatility.

I caught 4 mistakes

Surprised you didn't catch the 4th. It was quite obvious.

In his defense he's a bluegrass musician..

and seriously, the ability required to make a perfect note on a cello is probably 1/10th what it takes to make them on a mando. Mandos are a very chunky sounding instrument and the double course strings just don't ring. Most notes are staccato or dead. His ring. It's far easier to sound better on other instruments,

Yup, on the rest of your post, those things that cannot be transcribed. They come from an emotional investment from the player.

Let me highlight...

By tempering my enthusiasm of his technical ability, I didn't mean to downplay the value of good transcription and arrangement. Most people aren't very good at it (I remember the story of a composer who was a bad arranger, and had his piccolos going crazy in a very high register while the rest of the orchestra played fortissimo - if you know about woodwinds, you know how stupid that is - if not, trust me, it doesn't do anything but give the poor piccolo players heart disease). I only meant that a very good performance has to go beyond the arrangement and stamp the performer's identity on the piece. I think you knew what I meant, but just fleshing it out for posterity's sake.

Edit: Also, I don't dislike bluegrass, when it's done well. Like any popular* style, it can contain the soul of a particular culture,if the performers know what they are doing.

goat

* Popular in the anthropological sense, like folk music.

This post was edited on 4/20 2:02 PM by TheOriginalHappyGoat

I got what you were saying and completely agree

even about the mechanics of his playing. He probably has no real love for the form and that may show a bit. I was stating he's a bluegrass musician, because it's almost impossible in a lifetime to become a grand-master at any one style let alone two. The timing is exceptionally hard and different in each form. It has to get in his way on classical pieces which are in straight time, and not played with a swing. His mastery is in folk music, that he can play a classical piece that well. Well, that's exceptional.

Yea, unlike many who don't play, you understand the vague and often arbitrary concept of feel. Novices talk of or are more concerned with technique and dexterity. Seasoned and experienced musicians talk of feel because they all learn that anyone can learn to finger a note over time and once a musician becomes seasoned they realize that it's the feel that separates good from great. That's a good trait Goat. and rare.

I'm a practicing slide player. I mention it and call myself "practicing" because slide guitar broke me. The technique needed, is 3rd grade simple. Meaning that a 3rd grader has enough dexterity and can within a week learn the physical technique of playing slide. (Exaggerated for effect.) It's all feel, and it's damn hard if you don't have it. I can't always turn it on, sometimes it just isn't there, and a slide without feel, is a cat dying a horrible death.

I'd like to learn slide.

I have a ton of musical experience. I've been playing piano for 30 years, and guitar for nearly as long. Played woodwinds, too, and picked up fiddle a few years ago (I still suck at it).

However, much of my appreciation for music came from things I learned from my dad, who never played an instrument in his life, until I taught him guitar in his 40's. He had that natural feel for music, but was never really able to translate it into playing. When we'd get together to jam with my uncle (his brother), I'd often catch him just holding his guitar listening to the two of us.

I didn't know you played.. that's freakin great.

I was made to take piano lessons at the age of 6, at my Mothers insistence. Though I hated them, it opened that avenue for me. I then went to coronet, and then alto saxophone, then flute and piccolo.. the flute was my favorite( and no I never went to band camp). Then I discovered girls, so naturally a guitar was my next instrument to pick up. I don't actually know how to play a Mando, I basically just play guitar chords upside down and it works.

fwiw - my favorite instrument to listen to is a cello. I freakin love cellos. I keep pushing my GF's daughter into picking one up. she doesn't have my appreciation of them, yet.

I actually rarely play anymore.

Since my uncle moved out, no jam sessions, and I've been spending what little free time I have for the arts on my writing, rather than music.

goat

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT