ADVERTISEMENT

Woody's path to success...

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
1. Fire one of your recruiting assistants. Hire a proven head coach, that has taught similar philosophies to what you want IU to implement.

2. Resolve to change the roster makeup, and the overall focus and approach, to being a much more well rounded roster. Good guards, good wings, good bigs. And plan to play a style that utilizes all of them.

3. Sit down with the following kids...and give them your best, most convincing speech, about your above plans. Galloway, Cupps, Newton, Gunn, Reneau, Sparks...and McNeeley. With the goal of retaining all of them. On Galloway and Cupps...ensure them you're going after more perimeter players, so their roles will end up suiting their strengths. On Malik, ensure him your goal is to make him an NBA first rounder, and that you're going to be very selective on who you bring in to play with him.

4. Set out to build the rest of your team via late HS kids, and portal kids. Look for solid, 2 way players, winners...for most of the spots. You're efforts with TJD and Ware are going to get you in on some high level bigs, that have NBA aspirations. That's great. But if Malik is returning, be very selective about who you end up bringing in. It needs to be a very versatile player, that rebounds and defends all over the court at a high level. NOT someone that when you play him and Malik together, you're exposing everyone else on the court because of how you're going to ask them to defend, or how you're going to run the offense. So a "1 and done" type NBA talent big is fine, but make sure he's going to fit next to Malik. The rest of them need to be versatile, perimeter/wing oriented, players.

5. Scour and strive to find 2 perimeter oriented kids, that will be at IU for multiple years, that you know will come in and change how we play. I think Newton will do that, if healthy, but strive for a couple more. Harvard's point guard? Anyone like the Butler/Houston guards they've had recently. Someone like the Williams kid that transfer to Texas Tech, or like what McCullar was for Kansas a couple years ago. They're out there...every single year there are guys like that that end up at other schools. Make sure you get a couple of them to come to Indiana.

Number 1 is just a matter of doing it. There are probably 50 D2, D3, NAIA, older guys nearing or just retired, that would fit that description. Woody is an old dude, who cares if its a younger guy that will be a "threat" in a year or two.

Number 2 is just a matter of doing it, and resolving and forcing it to happen.

The rest...work your ass of to get all of what I wrote, but know that if you fall short in some of the areas, you'll have had enough successes that you'll have a good, solid, well balanced roster, that you can win with for the next couple years.

Reactions: duvallj and kkott
Imo we are gonna drop a big bag to keep MM. Say here is more than you can make in the pros, and you have been improving here, so keep it up and we’ll get you a better draft spot or whatever. I didn’t think our NIL would still be on board but they are.

That’s it. No comment on Woody ever being successful here.

Imo we are gonna drop a big bag to keep MM. Say here is more than you can make in the pros, and you have been improving here, so keep it up and we’ll get you a better draft spot or whatever. I didn’t think our NIL would still be on board but they are.

Add him to the list of returning guys then. And it becomes even more important to find a few really, really good 2 way players to fill in around MM, Malik, McNeeley, Newton, Cupps, etc...

And maybe Dolson can convince Woody that one of his primary roles over the next few years is to hire and cultivate the next IU coach. Learn from the Fife experiment. Allow Woody to be involved in the search, but make sure its a guy that fills some of Woody's blind spots or shortcomings.

I'm coming around to what next year's team "could" look like if we get a couple starter level perimeter players, and Woody gets the right kind of NBA caliber big.

Again...STRONGLY prefer a new coach...what I'm laying out is a lot of change, might as well just go get someone that already has proven to have a handle on all this stuff. But its just not likely to happen that way. And I want IU to win, no matter who's coaching. I think my path is "doable" for Woody. And he doesn't need to completely change himself, or become Bob Knight, for it to be successful.

North,
#1. Who would he hire? I doubt CMW has relationships with any college coaches. He had Matta and Fife and did not use them/trust them.
Makes total sense but who would take the job for possibly one year?

1. Fire one of your recruiting assistants. Hire a proven head coach, that has taught similar philosophies to what you want IU to implement.

2. Resolve to change the roster makeup, and the overall focus and approach, to being a much more well rounded roster. Good guards, good wings, good bigs. And plan to play a style that utilizes all of them.

3. Sit down with the following kids...and give them your best, most convincing speech, about your above plans. Galloway, Cupps, Newton, Gunn, Reneau, Sparks...and McNeeley. With the goal of retaining all of them. On Galloway and Cupps...ensure them you're going after more perimeter players, so their roles will end up suiting their strengths. On Malik, ensure him your goal is to make him an NBA first rounder, and that you're going to be very selective on who you bring in to play with him.

4. Set out to build the rest of your team via late HS kids, and portal kids. Look for solid, 2 way players, winners...for most of the spots. You're efforts with TJD and Ware are going to get you in on some high level bigs, that have NBA aspirations. That's great. But if Malik is returning, be very selective about who you end up bringing in. It needs to be a very versatile player, that rebounds and defends all over the court at a high level. NOT someone that when you play him and Malik together, you're exposing everyone else on the court because of how you're going to ask them to defend, or how you're going to run the offense. So a "1 and done" type NBA talent big is fine, but make sure he's going to fit next to Malik. The rest of them need to be versatile, perimeter/wing oriented, players.

5. Scour and strive to find 2 perimeter oriented kids, that will be at IU for multiple years, that you know will come in and change how we play. I think Newton will do that, if healthy, but strive for a couple more. Harvard's point guard? Anyone like the Butler/Houston guards they've had recently. Someone like the Williams kid that transfer to Texas Tech, or like what McCullar was for Kansas a couple years ago. They're out there...every single year there are guys like that that end up at other schools. Make sure you get a couple of them to come to Indiana.

Number 1 is just a matter of doing it. There are probably 50 D2, D3, NAIA, older guys nearing or just retired, that would fit that description. Woody is an old dude, who cares if its a younger guy that will be a "threat" in a year or two.

The rest...work your ass of to get all of what I wrote, but know that if you fall short in some of the areas, you'll have had enough successes that you'll have a good, solid, well balanced roster, that you can win with for the next couple years.

North,
#1. Who would he hire? I doubt CMW has relationships with any college coaches. He had Matta and Fife and did not use them/trust them.
No clue? The goal though, would be a multi year arrangement. Maybe some guy in his 40's that has had success at a D2, D3, or NAIA? Tonegal at IWU has been mentioned for some bigger jobs before? Moore at Grace has built them into a consistent national power. And those two might not be guys that would vibe and mesh well with Woody...and their styles might be completely different...and they might not want to do that. Just thinking if Woody were involved with the search, they could all work together to identify a handful of candidates, they could all interview them, talk basketball, playhouse 90 all sorts of stuff together... I wouldn't care, at all, what the other assistants felt about it. If Dolson were on board, and Woody were on board, and whoever this person was, was on board...the others can figure it out, or find somewhere else to go.

Say its someone like Tonegal (he has kids in middle school and younger, so he might not be the guy for this, just an example)

3 year deal (does that jive with when Woody's ends??)...Woody is your boss, what he says goes...but you're here because your IWU teams have been consistently good at this, this, and this. Those things are similar to how Woody wants to play, so you'll be working for and with him to best implement those styles. You've never coached at a place like IU, but you're gonna get your chance to learn the ins and outs of high major college basketball...while teaching the boys how to play effectively doing this, this and this. There are no guarantees that you'll be the coach when Woody is done. But if IU is successful while you're here and in this role, you'd have a shot at it.

Have to reiterate...I'm just trying to hypothesize semi realistic ways for Woody to finish his time at IU, in a successful manor. Obviously that's what some influential people at Indiana want to happen.

No clue? The goal though, would be a multi year arrangement. Maybe some guy in his 40's that has had success at a D2, D3, or NAIA? Tonegal at IWU has been mentioned for some bigger jobs before? Moore at Grace has built them into a consistent national power. And those two might not be guys that would vibe and mesh well with Woody...and their styles might be completely different...and they might not want to do that. Just thinking if Woody were involved with the search, they could all work together to identify a handful of candidates, they could all interview them, talk basketball, playhouse 90 all sorts of stuff together... I wouldn't care, at all, what the other assistants felt about it. If Dolson were on board, and Woody were on board, and whoever this person was, was on board...the others can figure it out, or find somewhere else to go.

Say its someone like Tonegal (he has kids in middle school and younger, so he might not be the guy for this, just an example)

3 year deal (does that jive with when Woody's ends??)...Woody is your boss, what he says goes...but you're here because your IWU teams have been consistently good at this, this, and this. Those things are similar to how Woody wants to play, so you'll be working for and with him to best implement those styles. You've never coached at a place like IU, but you're gonna get your chance to learn the ins and outs of high major college basketball...while teaching the boys how to play effectively doing this, this and this. There are no guarantees that you'll be the coach when Woody is done. But if IU is successful while you're here and in this role, you'd have a shot at it.

Have to reiterate...I'm just trying to hypothesize semi realistic ways for Woody to finish his time at IU, in a successful manor. Obviously that's what some influential people at Indiana want to happen.
Great points North

#1 allows all the rest. We have to have another guy on the bench who knows X and O but frankly one that gets the college game. Unless and until that happens I don't see much progress.

that would take a dollar. no one is going to draft him.

Great advice. He’s not doing any of it because he thinks he’s got the correct method now. Like he said he can’t make the shots for the players.

There’s an arrogance of those around him that pisses me off when they’ve failed.

Reactions: dr.jb
that would take a dollar. no one is going to draft him.
He has almost no defensive game but offensively he is averaging 14.3ppg over the last 12 games and 16 ppg in the last 4 games. As his minutes picked up, so did his production. That is going to turn heads as far as projecting his future talent; however, his production has naturally been limited simply due to foul trouble on the defensive end. If he can figure out how to turn his liability (defense) into an asset, he could easily be a lottery pick. Will he able to do that? I don't see it but it's not a pipe dream.

lol So what you're saying is we need an assistant coach who can.....you know, be our coach.
Or...could help our coach better teach the principles he's already wanting to teach...

IU is keeping Woody for a reason. Those reasons aren't necessarily leading to IU being a good basketball team. Find someone that shares his overall bball philosophies, but has a proven track record of executing them well. And then those reasons they're keeping Woody aren't necessarily at the expense of the program being good any more.

Also...yes. ha ha.

Add him to the list of returning guys then. And it becomes even more important to find a few really, really good 2 way players to fill in around MM, Malik, McNeeley, Newton, Cupps, etc...

And maybe Dolson can convince Woody that one of his primary roles over the next few years is to hire and cultivate the next IU coach. Learn from the Fife experiment. Allow Woody to be involved in the search, but make sure its a guy that fills some of Woody's blind spots or shortcomings.

I'm coming around to what next year's team "could" look like if we get a couple starter level perimeter players, and Woody gets the right kind of NBA caliber big.

Again...STRONGLY prefer a new coach...what I'm laying out is a lot of change, might as well just go get someone that already has proven to have a handle on all this stuff. But its just not likely to happen that way. And I want IU to win, no matter who's coaching. I think my path is "doable" for Woody. And he doesn't need to completely change himself, or become Bob Knight, for it to be successful.
We're not even sure if Woody should be IU's coach and you want him to help pick the next guy? I say stay in your lane and focus on being a really good Coach for now. That's proven more of a challenge than he's been up to already.

Assembly Call was making that point last night: how concerning it is that we're taking a big step backwards in year 3. Instability of results the first couple years is understandable because results are largely based on what you inherited, but by year 3 your coaching and culture should be jelling into a better team and positive results. I don't see any signs of that.

North,
^^^This^^^. No more calls please....we have a winner!
It makes no difference who might be available as an assistant coach. Woodson doesn't appear to be open to advice or input anyway. Could be wrong...but I won't bet on it.

Or...could help our coach better teach the principles he's already wanting to teach...

IU is keeping Woody for a reason. Those reasons aren't necessarily leading to IU being a good basketball team. Find someone that shares his overall bball philosophies, but has a proven track record of executing them well. And then those reasons they're keeping Woody aren't necessarily at the expense of the program being good any more.

Also...yes. ha ha.
That is the reason why CMW is failing though. I don't think there is a real system for another coach to align to. A new coach would merely need to bring in an actual system, period. His system is very Mike Davis-esque in that you take the talent you have, space out the floor and then let that talent make things happen. There are no adjustments on defense because CMW hates using things like zone (regardless of the roster composition and obvious failures of m2m). His best asset is recruiting talent, throwing it on the floor and assuming we can out talent the other team.

Lastly, we still don't know if IU is keeping Woody. I'm not sure why that is still your assumption, did I miss something?

We're not even sure if Woody should be IU's coach and you want him to help pick the next guy? I say stay in your lane and focus on being a really good Coach for now. That's proven more of a challenge than he's been up to already.

Assembly Call was making that point last night: how concerning it is that we're taking a big step backwards in year 3. Instability of results the first couple years is understandable because results are largely based on what you inherited, but by year 3 your coaching and culture should be jelling into a better team and positive results. I don't see any signs of that.
Just trying to present ideas for maximizing Woody's remaining time here at IU. Which could be multiple more years after this one. Not sure why next year is some magical mendoza line for the decision makers, versus this year. We've kept others longer than 4 years...

Reactions: Bucket Getter
That is the reason why CMW is failing though. I don't think there is a real system for another coach to align to. A new coach would merely need to bring in an actual system, period. His system is very Mike Davis-esque in that you take the talent you have, space out the floor and then let that talent make things happen. There are no adjustments on defense because CMW hates using things like zone (regardless of the roster composition and obvious failures of m2m). His best asset is recruiting talent, throwing it on the floor and assuming we can out talent the other team.

Lastly, we still don't know if IU is keeping Woody. I'm not sure why that is still your assumption, did I miss something?
You're right...I have no idea. Just seems like that's where the wind is blowing lately.

When the operation is flawed and the production isn't there...These annual reviews normally result in "keeping the coach..but here are the changes we expect to see....". That second part is a stickler where Woodson is concerned. He doesn't come across as one who is willing to be told what must change (mostly because he is a venerable, elder-statesman type). Now...he may negotiate the actual list of changes that must happen...and reach a compromise. Either way, if he stays...it will be on his terms as far as he is concerned. That is why I do not anticipate improvements next season.

Just trying to present ideas for maximizing Woody's remaining time here at IU. Which could be multiple more years after this one. Not sure why next year is some magical mendoza line for the decision makers, versus this year. We've kept others longer than 4 years...
It's just that by year 3 you should start the see the coach's beliefs and strategies taking hold and even if not W's should see some signs of improving play. I haven't seen much of a good sound strategy on offense that makes it tough on other teams and we have looked pretty lost on D and fundamentals. No signs of "good" coaching and habits. Counter that with Penn St who I thought looked inspired and played hard, even having lost their leading scorer who was dismissed from the team. Time will tell, but that looks like a coach that has a plan and who kids want to play hard for.

First off what good does firing an assistant do he does not listen to them anyway? Plus no actually good assistant will come here knowing its probably only a one year gig before woodson is canned. How is he going to work his a.... off he cannot even drive an hour to go and watch Sisely on a night off. He has already shown he is not willing to work 24/7 365 days a year at this job as is needed. And I am not sure why you think he would change anything he thinks he is the smartest man in the room and at age 66 good luck getting him to change a thing. He 100% thinks what he is currently doing is the right way. The suggestions are great he just would never follow any of them.

Reactions: BleedinGold

I’m not sure Woodson listens to any of his assistants as is. If so, why the need for Wittman and Jim Todd?

Reactions: YOTHN

If IU doesn’t move on(big mistake if they don’t)
Dolson needs to address over all other matters his philosophy on recruiting and building a roster. Woodyneeds to put in the energy on the recruiting trail and developing relationships. Indiana has a lot of talent that Woody doesn’t give much attention to. Quit chasing the 5 stars and build a program/culture. Recruit some Tom Coverdales, Will Sheehey types.
- Then They need to tell him to hire a new staff or your gone.
Hunter, Walsh and Hill for sure need to go.

Sond

The rest...work your ass of to get all of what I wrote, but know that if you fall short in some of the areas, you'll have had enough successes that you'll have a good, solid, well balanced roster, that you can win with for the next couple years

Does not sound like a guy ready to go pound the pavement 24/7.

Coaching Changes

@CoachingChanges

Indiana folks are fuming that apparently not even one coach from the #IUBB staff bothered to show for sectionals.Some see this as (further?) evidence that Mike Woodson has quit on his own program.Not a good look, at all.Especially not in that state, of all states.

gYfRZczP_normal.jpg

Hooparazzi

@Cabbyfromgreene
·
Feb 29

Dolson needs to address over all other matters his philosophy on recruiting and building a roster. Woodyneeds to put in the energy on the recruiting trail and developing relationships. Indiana has a lot of talent that Woody doesn’t give much attention to. Quit chasing the 5 stars and build a program/culture. Recruit some Tom Coverdales, Will Sheehey types.
Walsh is the only assistant that landed a recruit this class (McNeeley), and he is the lead recruiter for Sisley and Mullins I believe.

If they dont move on it just delays it honestly. Thy guy who cannot even go watch a secional game an hour away is not going to bust his hump this spring to bring in 7 or 8 new players. He clearly is lazy or not motivated.

Walsh is the only assistant that landed a recruit this class (McNeeley), and he is the lead recruiter for Sisley and Mullins I believe.
I wouldn’t put much on the landing Liam.$$
Sisley and Mullins need more attention from IU if they want them. Iu is getting out worked on the trail.

North,
We have a fellow named Calbert Cheaney on the staff.

We have a fellow named Calbert Cheaney on the staff.
I enjoy him being on the staff, but he doesn't have great coaching experience. His best experience was also NBA. He was an assistant player developer with the Pacers for 3 years but he's not learning great coaching technique right now. He had a role with IU for a short bit under Crean....not a great role model either. So, I like him where he is at and have no interest in him going anywhere but the rest of the staff, including CMW, need to go.

If Dolson doesn't move on CMW (or simply isn't able to) then be rest assured, it's just a one-year delay we all have to sit out and wait to conclude. There isn't enough untrained high-end talent to overcome the lack of fundamentals being shown and we know they won't be trained those things once they arrive.

I enjoy him being on the staff, but he doesn't have great coaching experience. His best experience was also NBA. He was an assistant player developer with the Pacers for 3 years but he's not learning great coaching technique right now. He had a role with IU for a short bit under Crean....not a great role model either. So, I like him where he is at and have no interest in him going anywhere but the rest of the staff, including CMW, need to go.

If Dolson doesn't move on CMW (or simply isn't able to) then be rest assured, it's just a one-year delay we all have to sit out and wait to conclude. There isn't enough untrained high-end talent to overcome the lack of fundamentals being shown and we know they won't be trained those things once they arrive.
He coached under Crews at St Louis also

All these changes sound like keeping the status quo to me.

Your list is logical, but doesn’t it get blown to bits when you throw in the fact that you want to piece together a team with last years players, plus late signees and portal players-all to grind out 2 more yrs with MW?

This house has been built on sand.

What you are laying out may be a ticket to a better team next year, but it ignores any program building. You even admit as much:

“Woody is an old dude, who cares if its a younger guy that will be a "threat" in a year or two”.

I keep reading these posts and they seem shortsighted at best. They sound great for Woody, and may bring short term stability, but we need to rebuild the foundation. And not with someone that will be here for 2 years, doesn’t have a college basketball coaching background or philosophy, and with a group patched together for a year or two.

Correct woodson is going to have to scramble to get 5-8 guys in the portal to scrap a team together. There does not seem to be plan to build a foundation going forward at all . If you have to tell a coach in year four he radically needs to change what he is going then he probably is just not a very good coach to begin with.

He has almost no defensive game but offensively he is averaging 14.3ppg over the last 12 games and 16 ppg in the last 4 games. As his minutes picked up, so did his production. That is going to turn heads as far as projecting his future talent; however, his production has naturally been limited simply due to foul trouble on the defensive end. If he can figure out how to turn his liability (defense) into an asset, he could easily be a lottery pick. Will he able to do that? I don't see it but it's not a pipe dream.
there is no way that kid will ever be a lottery pick, that is just crazy. I say he never plays in the NBA, the freshman he went head-to-head with from Wisconsin for about a 4-minute stretch, don't even know his name abused MM on both ends. Romeo Langford would question his motor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT