ADVERTISEMENT

Look for X to be dismissed.0

There's no way this felony will stick. It should have been two misdemeanors; one for reckless driving and one for resisting, but for switching seats and not the aggravated resisting for not stopping the car right away. The felony part of the statute is meant for high speed chases, which it doesn't sound like this was. We don't know the exact facts, but my guess is it took a while for the officer to catch up to Xavier if he was really going that fast, and if he had enough time to try to switch seats then that only confirms that the officer was far behind him when he activated his lights. I'm sure he probably did see the cop coming up on him, but that's going to be hard to prove, especially when he parked his car at his own apartment complex.
The lowest-level felony charges are designed to elicit plea agreements on the part of the accused to avoid the expense and hassle of a trial. In this case, the odds are extremely high that the charge will be reduced to a misdemeanor if X agrees to the deal offered by the prosecutor's office.

You mean a “charge”. It won’t be close to a felony by the end of next month. That stop sign was in a private neighborhood. Stop acting like he’s a drug dealing murderer on death row. The legal system can charge you the max as they see fit. It won’t stick. It’s Monroe county.
It doesn't matter if the charge sticks. The dumbass was seen walking around the car in an attempt to change seats. Hes not a murderer, he's just incredibly selfish and immature, and this latest incident indicates a pattern that has carried through from his late teens into early adulthood. Stop acting like it was just a speeding ticket.

Oh no. He broke curfew. That likely happens many places with no one’s knowledge. In fact, had a PU player at our sorority night before a game, probably around 1:00 am. I was very tempted to call Painter and rat him out.
#snitchesgetstitches

It doesn't matter if the charge sticks. The dumbass was seen walking around the car in an attempt to change seats. Hes not a murderer, he's just incredibly selfish and immature, and this latest incident indicates a pattern that has carried through from his late teens into early adulthood. Stop acting like it was just a speeding ticket.
I got 2 when I was his age. Dad. Good lord man. So I was selfish and immature at 21. Good grief. This wouldn’t be news if it wasn’t for all the Boomers in these boards.

Reactions: ericrossiu
The lowest-level felony charges are designed to elicit plea agreements on the part of the accused to avoid the expense and hassle of a trial. In this case, the odds are extremely high that the charge will be reduced to a misdemeanor if X agrees to the deal offered by the prosecutor's office.
Probably dropped all together as the stop sign was on private property.

Great place. There ano Park Doral were two places where parties routinely broke out. No chance you could’ve attended IU and not known about either one.
The fact that both those apartment complexes are still basically the same as they were during the 1980s is amazing to me. One, that they actually have withstood the abuse of their student tenants for that long, and two that they have not been sold and torn down like so many others (e.g. Dunnhill) for new developments.

If this had happened at UK, he would never have been arrested. The cops would have pulled him over and after finding out who he was, they would have taken selfies with him, got his autograph and given him a ride home.
You say this as if the same thing (or close to it) might not have happened to X if he had not tried to flee. I think there's a decent chance he would have gotten a ticket at most, perhaps with the speed understated. Once he didn't pull over, backup units were called in and there was a lot less leeway for them to handle it low-key.

The fact that both those apartment complexes are still basically the same as they were during the 1980s is amazing to me. One, that they actually have withstood the abuse of their student tenants for that long, and two that they have not been sold and torn down like so many others (e.g. Dunnhill) for new developments.
The railings on the bottom apartments are gone. Seen many drunk fights taking those down. 🤣

They were dated and pretty nasty several decades ago. No idea how they survived. Fun times, though. Both were great late live out spots for those of us who were Greeks, especially in the summer.

My point exactly. But I would have hoped that Bloomington PD would have cut the kid a break; not because he was a basketball player per se, but because they knew it was going to be national news. Now, guilty or innocent, he will have a news article out there stating he committed a felony - something most people in his circumstances would not have to go through. By all means charge him with the misdemeanors, but the felony wasn't necessary even if it will be dropped down in exchange for a plea.

More info coming out. An article in the Indy Star. The officer says that he clearly saw them switch seats. X and the kid who was in the driver seat seem to be sticking to their story. The officer says that he was going in the opposite direction when he got them on the radar. I thought courts have invalidated radar from a moving police car.
Anyway, it sounds like it was a shit show, but unless the police have it all on the police cam, there seems to be room for a defense attorney to poke holes in the case, leaving room for a plea. This is just a layman’s view from the article. Not an attorney.

More info coming out. An article in the Indy Star. The officer says that he clearly saw them switch seats. X and the kid who was in the driver seat seem to be sticking to their story. The officer says that he was going in the opposite direction when he got them on the radar. I thought courts have invalidated radar from a moving police car.
Anyway, it sounds like it was a shit show, but unless the police have it all on the police cam, there seems to be room for a defense attorney to poke holes in the case, leaving room for a plea. This is just a layman’s view from the article. Not an attorney.
They always plea. Especially in Monroe county. The speed is the least of the offenses but they will plead both and his attorney will probably get the worst dropped. He’s going to pay fines and it will be over. Misdemeanor.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
I was just listening to Jim Coyle and Bozich and they don't see how Woody can bring him back at least according to Coyle. We'll see.

I was just listening to Jim Coyle and Bozich and they don't see how Woody can bring him back at least according to Coyle. We'll see.
Coyle? Geeze. He’s not been convicted. I bet woody waits until the plea. If it’s dropped to just fines and no resisting arrest he’s not going anywhere.

Also, after reading the article, some of the components don't fully seem to add up on first glance. Reportedly the car was doing 90 up Walnut, turned onto the bypass, then turned into Walnut Knolls. The police car was going down College (so south of the bypass), turned around at old st rd 37 to cross over the divide, then followed. If really going 90, there's a good chance they would already be turning onto the bypass by the time the police lights/sirens came on since radar only has about ideal effective distance of about 1000 ft, This means they were probably halfway to their stopping point and out of sight of the police officer by the time the heard sirens. Also, if going that fast and really trying to flee the police, there's a good chance the officer wouldn't have been in position to see them enter walnut knolls.

Also, after reading the article, some of the components don't fully seem to add up on first glance. Reportedly the car was doing 90 up Walnut, turned onto the bypass, then turned into Walnut Knolls. The police car was going down College (so south of the bypass), turned around at old st rd 37 to cross over the divide, then followed. If really going 90, there's a good chance they would already be turning onto the bypass by the time the police lights/sirens came on since radar only has about ideal effective distance of about 1000 ft, This means they were probably halfway to their stopping point and out of sight of the police officer by the time the heard sirens. Also, if going that fast and really trying to flee the police, there's a good chance the officer wouldn't have been in position to see them enter walnut knolls.
Dick F'ng Tracy!

Seriously, think you're trying a little too hard to figure this out from a newspaper article... probably gleaned from a police report.

Dick F'ng Tracy!

Seriously, think you're trying a little too hard to figure this out from a newspaper article... probably gleaned from a police report.
Yeah, probably a little too much time on my hands, though still a little skeptical of the 90 figure

The cop must have been closer than that, he was following close enough to see that they ran a stop sign, which he could only have seen if he had already turned in to the driveway leading from the bypass to the apartment parking lot.

The cop must have been closer than that, he was following close enough to see that they ran a stop sign, which he could only have seen if he had already turned in to the driveway leading from the bypass to the apartment parking lot.
That was my point, if they were going as fast a was reported, it would have been really hard to cop to see anything in the apartment complex

You said you wrote this, "after reading the article."

Word to the wise: call Bloomington PD and ask how you can get a copy of the/all police report(s).

I'd bet the official police report, affidavits etc. make more geographic sense than a news story written on Sunday morning by the news outlet's new guy who isn't important enough to avoid having to work on Sunday morning.

There's a reason the new guy gets stuck working on Sunday morning.

Word to the wise: call Bloomington PD and ask how you can get a copy of the/all police report(s).

I'd bet the official police report, affidavits etc. make more geographic sense than a news story written on Sunday morning by the news outlet's new guy who isn't important enough to avoid having to work on Sunday morning.

This is a new article written today using the police report and officer affidavit as source material

This additional detail was in an article published today. Not Sunday.

Yeah, probably a little too much time on my hands, though still a little skeptical of the 90 figure
I was really surprised the first time my six-cylinder Toyota spun the tires on damp pavement when I tried to keep this bitch from passing me at a stop light from the right turn only lane. Bitch.

I was also surprised how well this car accelerates to 60 when I play around with the manual-automatic shifter.

Hey, I know! You guys that are all over this story should get a copy of the VIN number for Johnson's Charger and post it. I think some of the Johnson-stalkers would be able to decipher the VIN to determine what kind of engine and horsepower it has. This would really reduce the number of issues to speculate endlessly about (so, that probably means nobody will do it).

Oh no. He broke curfew. That likely happens many places with no one’s knowledge. In fact, had a PU player at our sorority night before a game, probably around 1:00 am. I was very tempted to call Painter and rat him out.
Isaac Haas?

Reactions: zeke4ahs
This is a new article written today using the police report and officer affidavit as source material
Well, of course that sounds better, but relying on "a new article (supposedly) written today using the police report and officer affidavit as source material" isn't the same as actually relying on the real police report and affidavit.

To clarify, you might someday get a cop to testify that "the police report and officer affidavit" are truthful, but when you (hypothetically, of course) might get in trouble, say, on Kirkwood Avenue you personally would never want your fate to be determined by how a reporter interpreted, rewrote, paraphrased, misquoted and misunderstood the same "police report and officer affidavit."

A news report is just plain absolutely not the same as the original source document.

Reactions: ams66
This additional detail was in an article published today. Not Sunday.
If the article has as many geographical discrepancies as the other poster says, it still isn't reliable.

For one thing, any reference to "old State Road 37" is automatically confusing because the pre-bypass/pre-I-69 route of Ind. 37 through Bloomington was changed several times before the bypass was built. There are at least three current pavements that have been called "old State Road 37" at one time or other. The original route existed before the 1950's, and few cops or reporters today were living back then. God knows what they mean when they use that expression today. No one is going to decipher what Johnson was doing based on nicknames of streets and previous names of apartment complexes.

If the article has as many geographical discrepancies as the other poster says, it still isn't reliable.

For one thing, any reference to "old State Road 37" is automatically confusing because the pre-bypass/pre-I-69 route of Ind. 37 through Bloomington was changed several times before the bypass was built. There are at least three current pavements that have been called "old State Road 37" at one time or other. The original route existed before the 1950's, and few cops or reporters today were living back then. God knows what they mean when they use that expression today. No one is going to decipher what Johnson was doing based on nicknames of streets and previous names of apartment complexes.
Between 17th and the Bypass, there is only one place to cross the median separating College and Walnut. On the west side of College, that is where Old St. Rd. 37 joins. I'm not sure the little road crossing the median has a name, but that's where it is. Just south of Dennys. That has to be what the report is referring to.

Reactions: UncleMark
Between 17th and the Bypass, there is only one place to cross the median separating College and Walnut. On the west side of College, that is where Old St. Rd. 37 joins. I'm not sure the little road crossing the median has a name, but that's where it is. Just south of Dennys. That has to be what the report is referring to.
Your use of "has to be" is your personal interpretation, agreed?

Listening to them right now they 100% do not think he should bring him back and they do make some good points on why. The biggest one being you likely cannot trust him and what happens if he screws up again next season. Also his influence on younger players.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Haha. Of course you were. All makes sense now.
I was in a sorority house in a part I was not supposed to be on a Sunday evening and got trapped inside as their Initiation ceremony was beginning. Had to wait it out until there was a clear shot at the front door.

I have no idea about this. Do Purdue and IU travel and stay in hotels the night before away games in Bloomington and West Lafayette? Seems unnecessary.

Listening to them right now they 100% do not think he should bring him back and they do make some good points on why. The biggest one being you likely cannot trust him and what happens if he screws up again next season. Also his influence on younger players.
A tough call for sure. He is an immature kid but he is a good kid and I imagine this will really hurt him if he is let go.

I have no idea about this. Do Purdue and IU travel and stay in hotels the night before away games in Bloomington and West Lafayette? Seems unnecessary.
Yes they do.

Visiting teams stay at the HGI downtown and have seen the PU bus there more than once.

Reactions: Simply wow
A tough call for sure. He is an immature kid but he is a good kid and I imagine this will really hurt him if he is let go.

Here's what I can't get past...

It was posted relatively early in this discussion that he had an outstanding speeding ticket from last fall and he'd totally blown it off, and that his drivers license was administratively suspended as a result. That says "I don't have to follow the rules" to me. If that's the case, then I'm good with letting him go. It's tough for a kid to not act privileged and entitled when they're treated like they're privileged and entitled, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT