ADVERTISEMENT

Lawyers

200w.gif

I just sat thru the jury selection process. Good grief. Three hours of talking for 20 minutes worth of information. Let’s pick up the pace a bit
Were any of you good folks at the corner of Martin Luther King Drive and Hodimont on Tuesday April 17, 2019 at 2:40 AM?

You were?!!!
You too?!!!
And you?!!!

How is that possible? I said AM. Still? Wow okay

I have jury duty in March. Last time they only called juries twice the entire month. This time I am counting on posting here to have me declared incompetent.
The third time they ask you some theoretical question….tell them things are either black, white, or gray. If it’s black or white then you aren’t really needed. If it’s gray then it will depend on how well you do your job.

I didn’t get picked

Years ago, I was in the jury selection pool for a murder case. The defense attorney asked me if I was in favor of the death penalty. I answered "yes" and the next words I heard were "you are dismissed".
My smart ass would probably reply back, "Do you mean for the defendant? Oh hell yes I do".

• Haha
Reactions: Noodle and Sassy61
The last time I had jury duty the judge chewed me out for trying to get off. My sin was I stated I had prepared the prosecutors tax return for over 20 years and part of those years shared an office building with me.

After the judge chewed on me I replied “I thought the defense attorney might want to know those facts plus I believe my friend the prosecutor” The judge scowled at me, the defense attorney chuckled and smiled and said i could be dismissed. 😂

I’ve only been called to jury duty twice. One I was dismissed as I noted above.

The other time I was selected for trial. After all the testimony the judge dismissed us. I took charge and said we needed a foreman. I was nominated and elected foreman. One young juror wanted to discuss some things. I told him there was nothing to discuss and we were going to vote. We returned the fastest verdict in the history of the Daviess County Court. I don’t remember the exact time but I’d guess 5-10 minutes. We returned before the attorneys had left their desks.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I’ve only been called to jury duty twice. One I was dismissed as I noted above.

The other time I was selected for trial. After all the testimony the judge dismissed us. I took charge and said we needed a foreman. I was nominated and elected foreman. One young juror wanted to discuss some things. I told him there was nothing to discuss and we were going to vote. We returned the fastest verdict in the history of the Daviess County Court. I don’t remember the exact time but I’d guess 5-10 minutes. We returned before the attorneys had left their desks.
OK...HERE COMES AN OBVIOUS JOKE THAT IS EQUAL PARTS IN POOR TASTE AND NOT BASED, IN ANY WAY, ON MY OPINION OF YOU.

Was the defendant's name Tom Robinson?

(All names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this joke are fictitious. No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred.)

I have jury duty in March. Last time they only called juries twice the entire month. This time I am counting on posting here to have me declared incompetent.
I have always thought that if I wanted off the jury then I should say, "Oh, I know he is guilty or Oh, I know he is innocent". Would that get me removed? Now I did serve on a jury once. It was a man who was accused of raping an under aged girl. We found him not guilty because of several factors. It turns out in Indiana if an adult believed someone to be 16 then they can get found not guilty. I didn't know that before I served.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Years ago, I was in the jury selection pool for a murder case. The defense attorney asked me if I was in favor of the death penalty. I answered "yes" and the next words I heard were "you are dismissed".
Had a guy once in a Dallas jury selection get asked that.

Guys said something to the effect of:

"I feel the death penalty has harmed many people in Dallas for many, many years. J'quari Watson (can't remember the name exactly) for instance, Damar Jefferson as well, and never forget...SMU".

Judge mighta been a Pony Express fan because he just kinda nod-chuckled.

I have always thought that if I wanted off the jury then I should say, "Oh, I know he is guilty or Oh, I know he is innocent". Would that get me removed? Now I did serve on a jury once. It was a man who was accused of raping an under aged girl. We found him not guilty because of several factors. It turns out in Indiana if an adult believed someone to be 16 then they can get found not guilty. I didn't know that before I served.

I didn't know that. Interesting. I wonder how one proves they thought a person was 16?

I hope I get chosen, I'd like to see it from the inside.

I didn't know that. Interesting. I wonder how one proves they thought a person was 16?

I hope I get chosen, I'd like to see it from the inside.
I remember in the trial the question of what the girl was wearing was one factor. They weren't talking about her being dressed in a sexual manor, but was more about could it make her look older. I believe she was 15 at the time. One sad thing was she claimed he raped her. Now that was very possible but it couldn't be proven. She had drank a lot of alcohol and had been very flirtatious which just caused some doubts. At the end of the trial I actually prayed, "Lord, if we let a guilty man go because we couldn't prove he 1. knew her age and 2. had raped her without her consent then I ask that you would get him.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
OK...HERE COMES AN OBVIOUS JOKE THAT IS EQUAL PARTS IN POOR TASTE AND NOT BASED, IN ANY WAY, ON MY OPINION OF YOU.

Was the defendant's name Tom Robinson?

(All names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this joke are fictitious. No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred.)
Nah. They'd save Stoll for Dr. Richard Kimble.

Oh no, I am IT. Law is even worse than IT, lawyers have made it into a religion where only they know the secret words and gestures of the incantations.
Secret words and incantations?

Actually, that sounds a lot like IT.

Edit to add: Plus, turn it off and reboot -- that'll fix it.

I feel IT and computers are the same way.

Law isn't hard. You learn the lingo and it's just common sense most of the time.
Oh, IT is bad at it, law is just worse.

I had a person I worked with 35 years ago that told me she loved how I explained things in normal ways. I ran a dbase 3+ database, she wanted a big new query ran and wanted the results now. I told her she had never suggested anything like that, so I did not have an index for it. She asked what that was. I said without an index, it was like telling someone there are three houses in a neighborhood with a John Smith. To find which three houses, you have to go to each house, knock, and ask if John Smith lived there.

An index was an alphabetical list of all the people in the neighborhood and their address. Finding John Smith is much easier/faster.

For the rest of the time I worked with her, she would be the best at providing me the type of reports she wanted from her projects. She would hand me the list and tell me she didn't want me to have to knock on so many doors.

My story was close enough to the truth, and she could easily understand it. I support a lot of proud luddites, seriously they proudly call themselves that to me. Converting technobabble to English is one of my few skills.

I feel IT and computers are the same way.

Law isn't hard. You learn the lingo and it's just common sense most of the time.
Yep law is just a language, where certain words and phrases are shorthand for pretty common-sense ideas.

Aren't you a lawyer? I thought lawyers were usually kicked out.
I once thought so, too. Until I found out the hard way that federal court makes no allowances. It was a drug case that got plea bargained out. I suspect the prosecutors had me figured for a hanging juror.

I was on the jury for some ridiculous felony theft charge involving some borderline homeless young guy and an equally shady old dude that was in a wheelchair involving a stolen cell phone. There was a lot of incriminating surveillance video but we ended up acquitting the guy. The prosecutor over charged it and according the statute and jury instructions. I was one of 4 initial guilty votes, but after like an hour of debate it was clear the non guilty votes weren't going to change....and I was late for the bar. So Not Guilty!

What a waste of a full day. But was kind of an interesting experience

Oh, IT is bad at it, law is just worse.

I had a person I worked with 35 years ago that told me she loved how I explained things in normal ways. I ran a dbase 3+ database, she wanted a big new query ran and wanted the results now. I told her she had never suggested anything like that, so I did not have an index for it. She asked what that was. I said without an index, it was like telling someone there are three houses in a neighborhood with a John Smith. To find which three houses, you have to go to each house, knock, and ask if John Smith lived there.

An index was an alphabetical list of all the people in the neighborhood and their address. Finding John Smith is much easier/faster.

For the rest of the time I worked with her, she would be the best at providing me the type of reports she wanted from her projects. She would hand me the list and tell me she didn't want me to have to knock on so many doors.

My story was close enough to the truth, and she could easily understand it. I support a lot of proud luddites, seriously they proudly call themselves that to me. Converting technobabble to English is one of my few skills.
Well, now, come on. Do you have a photo of her? This might be a violation.

I was on the jury for some ridiculous felony theft charge involving some borderline homeless young guy and an equally shady old dude that was in a wheelchair involving a stolen cell phone. There was a lot of incriminating surveillance video but we ended up acquitting the guy. The prosecutor over charged it and according the statute and jury instructions. I was one of 4 initial guilty votes, but after like an hour of debate it was clear the non guilty votes weren't going to change....and I was late for the bar. So Not Guilty!

What a waste of a full day. But was kind of an interesting experience
"Late for the bar."

Juror immunity is a good thing!

That's OK.

I still don't know how to do CTRL+ALT anything. and have no idea what F1-F12 is for.

mark@MX-KDE:~
$ inxi -v
CPU: Quad Core AMD Athlon II X4 630 (-MCP-) speed/min/max: 800/800/2800 MHz Kernel: 5.6.0-2-amd64 x86_64 Up: 12h 23m
Mem: 2635.9/7964.4 MiB (33.1%) Storage: 476.03 GiB (27.2% used) Procs: 190 Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.06
mark@MX-KDE:~
$

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT