ADVERTISEMENT

James Lankford and those sissy liberals from the Okie state hate America.

UTFO

Hall of Famer
Feb 2, 2004
How dare he draft a border bill w/everything the GOP covets?

Nah, let's just wait a year. Why?

Because an insurrectionist who forcibly delayed certification and sat idly by for 3 hours while the Capitol was ransacked says so, that's why.

Because the 1st POTUS in our 250 year history to refuse to concede says so, that's why.

Conservative, rule of law, laissez faire my ass.

Because an insurrectionist who forcibly delayed certification and sat idly by for 3 hours while the Capitol was ransacked says so, that's why.

Because the 1st POTUS in our 250 year history to refuse to concede says so, that's why.

It's all about polling numbers and getting Trump elected, damn everything else.

The Wall Street Journal published an op-ed piece yesterday endorsing the bill and referencing the bill's reforms that Trump "never came close to getting" and never will get in a second term. Lindsey Graham said the same thing a couple of weeks ago - - this is as good as it gets. The Border Patrol itself wants the bill passed. Now, though, some of the very same Republicans who spent considerable time and effort helping Lankford put the bill together have suddenly turned on it. Speaker Johnson says, notwithstanding what happens in the Senate, it's DOA in the House. We all know why.

Oh, the stupidity. Trump and his enablers are now going to campaign on closing the border after deliberately leaving it open.

And the bill that Trump is killing also would have provided additional funding for Ukraine as they defend their homeland against the aggression of a war criminal and assassin. And funding for Israel, humanitarian aid for the people in Gaza and assistance for our strategic partners in the Pacific.

Once again, Trump puts his own personal and political gain ahead of the national interest, assisted by his cowardly enablers. This will blow up in their faces in November.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...-border-patrol-union-back-senate-border-deal/

Last edited:

That bill couldn’t be more worthless. Inform yourself on the issue

That bill couldn’t be more worthless. Inform yourself on the issue

What does that article have to do with this bill? If anything, it points to the desperate need for asylum law changes.

You either want incremental improvements in the asylum system or you want the status quo. There is no third choice.

This will be the most conservative bill dealing with asylum that will ever pass Congress. The Ukraine funding leverage was the only tool that was going to move Democrat votes. You'll not get 60 votes for anything for years to come.

What does that article have to do with this bill? If anything, it points to the desperate need for asylum law changes.

You either want incremental improvements in the asylum system or you want the status quo. There is no third choice.

This will be the most conservative bill dealing with asylum that will ever pass Congress. The Ukraine funding leverage was the only tool that was going to move Democrat votes. You'll not get 60 votes for anything for years to come.
The article provides the background to understand how silly the bill is. So read the bill where spartan linked at page 212 re activation and think of adding the numbers they suggest to the context of the legal and related problems set forth in the article. Backlog etc.

If the border can be closed close it. The hill doesn’t make common nor practicable sense

The article provides the background to understand how silly the bill is. So read the bill where spartan linked at page 212 re activation and think of adding the numbers they suggest to the context of the legal and related problems set forth in the article. Backlog etc.

If the border can be closed close it. The hill doesn’t make common nor practicable sense

I've read it all.

As I said. It's either incremental improvements or nothing (status quo).

You vote status quo, I guess.

Same as it's been for decades. Imagine a world where you could actually pass incremental improvements in immigration law over the years... And where we would be today.... Rather than where we are.... operating under something that's unchanged from nearly 40 years ago.

We don't deserve a country

I've read it all.

Same as it's been for decades. Imagine a world where you could actually pass incremental improvements in immigration law over the years... And where we would be today.... Rather than where we are.... operating under something that's unchanged from nearly 40 years ago.

He doesn't want a solution, he wants the issue.

I've read it all.

The problem is twofold: it just piles on a ten plus year backlog and does little to nothing to solve the problem and the way it’s drafted ties the hands of a future admin. If the border can be closed as this infers better to wait on the election than sign this which does so little. Ten year backlog and adding a million plus more a year. Absurd

Biden exacerbated this big time. Let him fall on it in nov. One more mess of his to clean up

The problem is twofold: it just piles on a ten plus year backlog and does little to nothing to solve the problem and the way it’s drafted ties the hands of a future admin. If the border can be closed as this infers better to wait on the election than sign this which does so little. Ten year backlog and adding a million plus more a year. Absurd

Biden exacerbated this big time. Let him fall on it in nov. One more mess of his to clean up

An election isn't going to solve nor improve anything with our busted asylum laws.

I always love hearing leftists explain what the 'GOP covets'. lmao

No, genius, here's what the GOP wants in the HR2 Bill that the Senate never put to a vote.

It's all about polling numbers and getting Trump elected, damn everything else.
Why doesn't the Senate bring HR2 up for a vote?

Why should Republicans negotiate on the Senate bill when the Senate refuses to address the House bill?

Reactions: snarlcakes
I don’t see any way that’s possible.

If nothings done, this problem is only going to get worse. Thats on Biden for creating the mess in the first place.

The mess existed before Biden and if Republicans are the ones blocking the solution (even a partial solution) then they will be owning the issue just as much, if not more, than Biden.

An election isn't going to solve nor improve anything with our busted asylum laws.
So Biden exacerbates a problem. Now today it’s urgent. And the solution proposed solves nothing. It leaves an open border adds numbers daily that are untenable. What this bill does is codify a problem. We’d be better off waiting for nov. In the meantime hopefully they continue to negotiate. The bill signed into law would change the composition of our country in a massive way and not in a positive one. Like a team of adding nothing but zero stars taking up schollies. Sad but true

Reactions: snarlcakes and DANC

Why should Republicans negotiate on the Senate bill when the Senate refuses to address the House bill?

Maybe because the House bill is a joke and the Senate bill still gives conservatives what they claimed to want....better border controls in exchange for Ukraine aid.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
The mess existed before Biden and if Republicans are the ones blocking the solution (even a partial solution) then they will be owning the issue just as much, if not more, than Biden.

Please educate yourself. On at least one issue before you post endless Biden did nothing and laughing emojis. You offer zero. On any topic. Just uninformed partisan stupidity.

Please educate yourself. On at least one issue before you post endless Biden did nothing and laughing emojis. You offer zero. On any topic. Just uninformed partisan stupidity.
There's no need for this, murt. Stick to the topic.

Because it doesn't have Ukraine funding, something I thought you wanted. You know the Freedom Caucus will order Johnson not to bring Ukraine to the floor.

It's ridiculous. The bill isn't perfect but it's something. Which is more than any other president in the past 30 years can claim on the issue.

Biden can and should use executive powers on this subject. As soon as the GOP stupidly rejects this compromise he should go on the offensive. Get shit done. Then make sure the whole country knows the only the GOP does is campaign for their next election.

So here is a solution, the Senate takes up the House bill and amends it so it is exactly what the Senate negotiated and passes it. Everyone is happy.

The Trump administration had the same problems.

New Data Show Migrants Were More Likely to Be Released by Trump Than Biden​

The problem is the massive influx of numbers not percentages. Brad’s article and the one I posted above reflects Biden’s policy changes that both exacerbated the problem and incentivized migrants to come in record numbers. Trump wanted a wall. Was talking about the problem. Biden came in and took the measures set forth above and the issue exploded

So here we are today. An individual illegally crossing is breaking the law. Our gov is telling us it can close the border. Instead it’s not enforcing the laws.

Hopefully they continue to negotiate but you can’t sanction the numbers contemplated by this bill. There are 150,000 people in the fed prison system. We’re adding millions of migrants a year it’s insanity to think we have lawyers and a system to handle it. The numbers don’t make sense on many levels

t points to the desperate need for asylum law changes.
There is no desperate need for asylum law changes. The concept of asylum and what individuals qualify are just fine. The problem is the concept of millions of “asylum seekers”. Those are refugees.
The problem with the status quo isn’t the law. The status quo problem is the
executive department of government that doesn’t make a good faith attempt to apply the law or enforce it. This status quo can change with an election.

Same as it's been for decades. Imagine a world where you could actually pass incremental improvements in immigration law over the years...
Immigration laws do need improvements. Work permits, refugee status, deportation process, sanctuary jurisdictions, immigrant prioritization all need to be reviewed. But what we don’t need and should reject is the legislative branch micro-managing executive branch and judicial branch about how to enforce and apply the immigration laws. This rationing of illegal immigrants is absolutely nuts!

This bill is a dumpster fire and makes a damn mess out of immigration, border enforcement, and judicial handling of deportations. I honestly don’t see how anybody who knows what they are doing can write this crap let alone support it. I’ve read a lot of and by those who support it and none of it makes sense. It’s just more “we must do something”. Well, the something starts in the Oval Office not in the halls of congress.

Because it doesn't have Ukraine funding, something I thought you wanted. You know the Freedom Caucus will order Johnson not to bring Ukraine to the floor.
I do, but what does the border have to do with Ukraine?

I 100% believe a stand-alone bill for Ukraine funding would pass the House. Maybe with some requirements for tracking and anti-corruption, but it would pass. Guaranteed. No person or Party wants to be responsible for Ukraine losing. And that includes Trump, who has never indicated he won't back Ukraine.

Reactions: jet812
There is no desperate need for asylum law changes. The concept of asylum and what individuals qualify are just fine. The problem is the concept of millions of “asylum seekers”. Those are refugees.

The problem with the status quo isn’t the law. The status quo problem is the
executive department of government that doesn’t make a good faith attempt to apply the law or enforce it. This status quo can change with an election.

Immigration laws do need improvements. Work permits, refugee status, deportation process, sanctuary jurisdictions, immigrant prioritization all need to be reviewed. But what we don’t need and should reject is the legislative branch micro-managing executive branch and judicial branch about how to enforce and apply the immigration laws. This rationing of illegal immigrants is absolutely nuts!

This bill is a dumpster fire and makes a damn mess out of immigration, border enforcement, and judicial handling of deportations. I honestly don’t see how anybody who knows what they are doing can write this crap let alone support it. I’ve read a lot of and by those who support it and none of it makes sense. It’s just more “we must do something”. Well, the something starts in the Oval Office not in the halls of congress.
for sure. it basically legalizes illegal activity without the infrastructure to ever adjudicate that many claims. it's a horrible bill

Maybe because the House bill is a joke and the Senate bill still gives conservatives what they claimed to want....better border controls in exchange for Ukraine aid.
Convincing argument. Really persuasive.

Just don't bitch when the House give a big FU to the Senate bill.

The problem is the massive influx of numbers not percentages. Brad’s article and the one I posted above reflects Biden’s policy changes that both exacerbated the problem and incentivized migrants to come in record numbers. Trump wanted a wall. Was talking about the problem. Biden came in and took the measures set forth above and the issue exploded

So here we are today. An individual illegally crossing is breaking the law. Our gov is telling us it can close the border. Instead it’s not enforcing the laws.

Hopefully they continue to negotiate but you can’t sanction the numbers contemplated by this bill. There are 150,000 people in the fed prison system. We’re adding millions of migrants a year it’s insanity to think we have lawyers and a system to handle it. The numbers don’t make sense on many levels

You keep saying illegally crossing the border. That's incorrect terminology.

It is not what is occurring (in mass, I'm sure there are still illegal crossings). They are mostly turning themselves in at the border, claiming asylum, and then being released into the country pending their case resolution. They are gaming the system based upon outdated laws. The govt is enforcing the laws as written, re: asylum. It's a ridiculous law.

This bill requires that asylum system shut down once a threshold is hit. Currently there is no threshold....so you basically have unlimited asylum claims permitted.

The numbers are way up... But the legal problem is no different than the one the Trump admin faced.

"This proposed legislation would provide the strongest set of tools we have had in decades to effectively manage migration and enhance our nation’s border security,” acting CBP Commissioner Troy Miller said in a leaked internal memo to employees acquired by Fox News.

Miller highlighted parts of the agreement that would expand Border Patrol authority and provide funding for 1,500 new agents, as well as systemic reforms. “Together, these tools and resources would enable us to maximize consequences against those who unlawfully enter the country, maintain order and security at the border, and appropriately prioritize our essential national security and public safety missions,” he said.

The National Border Patrol Council, the Union for more than 18,000 Border Patrol officers, said the deal is “not perfect” but “far better than the status quo."

Union President Brandon Judd is a noted critic of President Biden.

Reactions: MrBing
You keep saying illegally crossing the border. That's incorrect terminology.

Why Illegal Border Crossings Are at Sustained Highs​

By Ashley Wu Oct. 29, 2023
For the second year in a row, the number of illegal crossings at the U.S.-Mexico border surpassed two million, according to government data released this month.

That's from the NYT
But the legal problem is no different than the one the Trump admin faced.
the legal problem is always different when the docket explodes. it's the same claim/case but it's the numbers that are untenable. this isnt remedied unless 1) the number of migrants is cut to a fraction of what is proposed or 2) there's no meaningful hearings.

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT