ADVERTISEMENT

IU Hoops

It's a five out set. You can tell because there's five players out. Derp...

There's like 10,000 different options after that. Ryan is apparently a moron and Jesse is an asshole..
I was gonna say it but I thought it was so obvious that maybe I was missing the joke. Zoom action works well from the five out and there are a million things to do out of it.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I was gonna say it but I thought it was so obvious that maybe I was missing the joke. Zoom action works well from the five out and there are a million things to do out of it.
Almost everyone is running the same stuff with their own variations and if anything new comes out someone copies it. I laugh when posters blame the offense, like there's some magical set or system out there called RMK motion that is a +5 System of Guaranteed Championship success .. basketball is probably more homogenized than it ever has been.

The pieces a coach has to work with has a lot to do with success. IU is four deep, with a 12 year old or a headcase at PG.. One doesn't do anything, the other may implode .. after that there's nothing there.

Not bashing on anyone, but not one guy after the four is effective and that's not an excuse its fact. I don't know what they were thinking last spring. in retrospect the players signed after Kel make no sense, they didn't help at all..

I hope he adjusts .. adaptability is an important quality for a leader. In NCAA ball every possession matters. Can't give any away.. NBA ball has around 4X the possessions. In a season.

Whenever I’ve watched IU over the last several years, I’m struck by how poor the shooting is. It’s 2024. You have to have several shooters on the floor at all times and IU doesn’t have one on the team. It’s like they are playing some archaic version of bball. It’s very hard to watch because it’s not the beautiful game.

Reactions: UncleMark
Weak and sad.
Well hopefully two things happened. The coach was notified this year is it and the search is underway. Barca loses 5-0 to getafe at home that’s it. In year 3? Please.

And the AD can still hear the deafening boos of the crowd. Boo the staff coaches and players right out of the arena. Expansion for money, 8 figure buyouts, kids making big bucks. Tickets expensive. You don’t get the student athlete they’re just kids nonsense like Hopkins playing wash u. Boo like they’re the Cardinals. F em. You’re being paid to win now

Would you at least acknowledge his insistence on playing the bench as much as he has is on him? And that his roster construction has been bad?

I'll defer to your X and O knowledge, but at some point Woodson has to be held ultimately responsible.
You’re right. Woodson’s not good. There are 8 or 9 coaches better than him in the Big Ten. Also, he’s old and has no idea or plan to build a program. His plan is play grab ass and rent players for a year. I’m fine with that, if you’re winning.

This is the first year I haven’t watched a single game. We cut the cord on everything except Netflix and YouTube.

Sounds like I picked a good year to do so.
I've watched every game except those on Peacock, which I listened to on streaming radio. There are times this team looks extremely good, but that isn't often enough. I can't not watch IU basketball. I've watched every game I possibly could since the 1970s and I attended IU from '79 to '83. Even when I was in the Navy stationed in Hawaii or Japan one of my uncle would tape every game on VHS and send them to me. The only time I was totally apathetic about IU basketball was the Sampson years because I thought hiring him was the worst decision IU ever made, and I was proven right. I really liked the Miller hiring because I watched him closely at Dayton, even attended games, and I thought he would be awesome at IU. He wasn't. Woodson wasn't even on my radar when we hired him, despite him being my favorite IU player when I was an IU Freshman. I've never been a fan of hiring NBA coaches to coach NCAA basketball. My favorite was Matta, but he apparently wasn't yet ready for the sideline. Of course, I've been hoping Woodson would succeed at IU. Last year was good and made me believe. This year has been bad overall. Huge step back. I think he'll get one more year unless IU loses out. I can't hope for that.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
I was reading Gregg Doyel's article talking about when the players do well Woodson takes credit and when they do poorly it is the player's fault. That is shades of Mike Davis.

Which brings up the point about how bad our coaching selections have been. Davis has been fired a couple of places and is 0-23 at Detroit Mercy this year. Crean was fired last year at UGA, and Miller is 10-12 at Rhode Island.

Reactions: iulb and dbmhoosier
I was reading Gregg Doyel's article talking about when the players do well Woodson takes credit and when they do poorly it is the player's fault. That is shades of Mike Davis.

Which brings up the point about how bad our coaching selections have been. Davis has been fired a couple of places and is 0-23 at Detroit Mercy this year. Crean was fired last year at UGA, and Miller is 10-12 at Rhode Island.
And it shows how good Knight was.

Kelvin Sampson has Houston fairly consistently in the top 10-20. I wonder how different things would have been had he kept his nose clean/IU admin and fans could have weathered his storm.

Kelvin Sampson has Houston fairly consistently in the top 10-20. I wonder how different things would have been had he kept his nose clean/IU admin and fans could have weathered his storm.
He’s a very good basketball coach….we are not UNLV. Culture matters….or it did prior to immediate transfers. Maybe it no longer does and the game has passed some of us by.

He’s a very good basketball coach….we are not UNLV. Culture matters….or it did prior to immediate transfers. Maybe it no longer does and the game has passed some of us by.
I think you hit the nail on the head, some of us (myself included) need to realize we are in a brave new world.

Most incompetent administration in college sports history.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Maybe it no longer does and the game has passed some of us by.
That happened before Sampson. The RMK cult was strong in its belief system. There was only one way to play and coach basketball, his way .. his way was already outdated.

The issue with Kelvin was texting, which counted as a phone call (the lying was worse) every coach in the country was probably over the limit due to technology while the old ass rules committee members still couldn't use a VCR without help.

Before Kelvin, IU was seen as a destination program, after Kelvin.... well the hires speak for themselves. An orange douchebag that had worn out his welcome, Mr. Personality a flash in the pan mid major, and an old ass legacy. Further down the dumpster with each hire.

I suspect coaches would rather work for a university and fanbase that backs them and not be subject to a toxic career killing fanbase and an administration that self reports and runs them out of town due to a misplaced idealistic idea of integrity in a big money entertainment industry.

People talk about hiring Pearl or similar make me laugh, no coach who has built a solid foundation is going to leave it for this shithole ..

Yes, culture matters, administration, local media, and fans are part of that culture and also part of the problem.

At least IU is losing the right way ... with integrity. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

The downfall started with a left wing liberal idiot from Oregon. Bastard set out to destroy our program and he accomplished it.
dumb

Not everything is the Libs vs Incel closeted self-hating gay Nazis ..

We're not your enemy.

Reactions: Ohio Guy

That happened before Sampson. The RMK cult was strong in its belief system. There was only one way to play and coach basketball, his way .. his way was already outdated.

The issue with Kelvin was texting, which counted as a phone call (the lying was worse) every coach in the country was probably over the limit due to technology while the old ass rules committee members still couldn't use a VCR without help.

Before Kelvin, IU was seen as a destination program, after Kelvin.... well the hires speak for themselves. An orange douchebag that had worn out his welcome, Mr. Personality a flash in the pan mid major, and an old ass legacy. Further down the dumpster with each hire.

I suspect coaches would rather work for a university and fanbase that backs them and not be subject to a toxic career killing fanbase and an administration that self reports and runs them out of town due to a misplaced idealistic idea of integrity in a big money entertainment industry.

People talk about hiring Pearl or similar make me laugh, no coach who has built a solid foundation is going to leave it for this shithole ..

Yes, culture matters, administration, local media, and fans are part of that culture and also part of the problem.

Wait til the sec and big ten dump the ncaa

His style of play was outdated….the game has changed with that I agree. I think you can still beat teams by getting to the foul line. A Knight staple. He allowed corner threes…he would need to make that adjustment.

The issue with Kelvin was the types of kids he recruited were the polar opposite of what the fanbase was accustomed to. Maybe he was ahead of the curve and you need those types to win in Bloomington.

I actually think the next hire will be an established coach. I think the hiring of Woodson will be the key to that happening.

What we had is never coming back. I used to laugh at all the people that said anyone can win in Bloomington.

His style of play was outdated
A bit ... but he had adjusted with quicker offensive plays and utilizing the 3 as a weapon. If only he would have had players go over a high screen instead of under... but he didn't and Travis Ford just hit another 3.

His idealism was outdated ..

A bit ... but he had adjusted with quicker offensive plays and utilizing the 3 as a weapon. If only he would have had players go over a high screen instead of under... but he didn't and Travis Ford just hit another 3.

You’ve referenced that game before. The other option was to have Mashburn shoot free throws. He played what he considered the better option.

After he left he took a kid who had averaged 5 points a game and made him the all-time leading scorer in the conference. He was 6’3” and couldn’t shoot outside 15 feet. He knew how to create advantages. His biggest asset was that he was stubborn….it was also a liability in some situations.

The way he recruited had to change….and you could see that it was even if it was only minimally.

You’ve referenced that game before. The other option was to have Mashburn shoot free throws. He played what he considered the better option.

After he left he took a kid who had averaged 5 points a game and made him the all-time leading scorer in the conference. He was 6’3” and couldn’t shoot outside 15 feet. He knew how to create advantages. His biggest asset was that he was stubborn….it was also a liability in some situations.

The way he recruited had to change….and you could see that it was even if it was only minimally.
Best coach ever ... he was one of the few who actually changed basketball. Full game defense became something every team HS to NBA needed after his 70's run.

A pull up 3 off of a high screen was something that was previous to that time a really bad shot .... and would get you benched at IU. Until players became better at shooting 3s off the bounce. He should have had players go over the screen. Ford wasn't quick and he wasn't someone that would beat you on a drive, his best asset ... was shooting 3s off the bounce. Help defense would have taken care of the other options.

I don't know shit and don't have three championship rings so whatever but it's damn easy to second guess a coach's mistakes... even the best ever ...when they lose.

Last edited:
Best coach ever ... he was one of the few who actually changed basketball. Full game defense became something every team needed after his 70's run.

A pull up 3 off of a high screen was something that was previous to that time a really bad shot .... and would get you benched at IU. Until players became better at shooting 3s off the bounce. He should have had players go over the screen. Ford wasn't quick and he wasn't someone that would beat you on a drive, his best asset ... was shooting 3s off the bounce. Help defense would have taken care of the other options.

I don't know shit and don't have three championships rings so whatever but it's damn easy to second guess a coach's mistakes... even the best ever ...when they lose.
Actually….you are one of the few that can actually discuss the game. I always appreciate your insight.

It’s human nature to second guess….we all do it. Some more intelligently than others

Last edited:

I think he was starting to adopt, he told Haston to work on his 3 that infamous summer. We know from prior years he had not liked bigs out there shooting.

Reactions: ulrey

There’s no question Sampson didn’t know how the other coaches were cheating with the phones. Zeller’s dad mentioned at the time something to the effect “wonder why he’s not using throw away phones like Williams, Self and others”.

I think he was starting to adopt, he told Haston to work on his 3 that infamous summer. We know from prior years he had not liked bigs out there shooting.
I’m going to push back a little here…his offense was not equal opportunity. If you could make the shot you were allowed to shoot.

With this group….Ware would shoot more jump shots. Trey would very rarely shoot a jump shot. A lot of inversion would occur.

Reactions: ulrey
There’s no question Sampson didn’t know how the other coaches were cheating with the phones. Zeller’s dad mentioned at the time something to the effect “wonder why he’s not using throw away phones like Williams, Self and others”.
I think the lying part was what did it. And the. The players who were failing, not going to class, openly doing drugs….

I think the lying part was what did it. And the. The players who were failing, not going to class, openly doing drugs….
Well if they’re getting paid now no point worrying about that stuff. Might as well bring in some sprewell types and win some games. Can’t imagine anything dumber than paying nerds to go 500

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT