ADVERTISEMENT

Old School

BradStevens

All-Big Ten
Silver Member
Sep 7, 2023
I've posted before about my son and hockey. Last night, I'm at the rink getting ready to watch the Blackhawks pre-season game in the crappy little lobby on a plastic chair that makes my ass hurt for days after sitting in it, and two of the coaches sit down next to me in their full gear, skates on, helmets with half shields, didn't even take off their gloves or put down their sticks. Both were still sweating from the drills they just instructed, and I swear if smoking was allowed, both would have lit up a heater.

One is new to our team, Coach Stan, who is maybe 60-65. The other I've never seen before but older than the first. I chat them up for a bit, asking about hockey, etc. and find out the older guy, Coach Chez, played in an independent league for the Chicago Cardinals and then the Rockford team from 1970-77. Old timer said it was basically just like Slapshot--lots of fights, people getting their teeth knocked out, no helmets, lot of characters.

One team had a defenseman that he said he would not go into the corners on. Literally, every time the puck went in the corner against the guy, he just skated away because he said the guy was a madman--would cut you with his skates, cheap shot you in the balls, look to kill you every time. Coach Chez said in his first couple of seasons he saw two of his teammates get knocked out and had to be carried off the ice by the guy. But then after the game, all the players would head to the same bar and this guy would be the first one to buy a round for everyone. A real sweetheart off the ice.

After playing, this coach was a referee for various minor leagues for 20 years, then drove the Zamboni at the United Center for a decade, then "retired" to traveling around to various local ice rinks to serve as a house league coach or instructor. I mean, this guy's entire life has been hockey since age 19, it sounded like. He's not alone. There are plenty of these old timers out there, scraping by (they can't make very much money; I know at our rink he's coaching for free) just to get ice time with a team as a coach or whatever. I'm guessing they are all bouncing around up here in the north and must be around Canada, too. Every coach my son has ever had, for example, has been an older guy with no kid on the team and is volunteering. I don't think any other U.S. sport has such a fascinating sub-culture surrounding it.

Later that night, the other coach, Coach Stan (who was the goalie coach for the Chicago Wolves not too long ago), kicked my son's entire team "off the ice" and called the parents into the locker room. He pointed to us and said "you guys aren't taking this seriously enough. You need to stop goofing off, stop talking when we're talking, and pay attention. Your parents work hard to pay for you to play this sport, drive you here . . . " It went on and on and he gave really good reasons for why these kids should be grateful and take the coaches and their time there seriously (it's true; getting ice time is a bitch). He even used the "respect the game" line.

I loved that this guy was doing this, but I could see it was not landing on the kids it needed to. They are 13-14 years old and have no conception of gratitude, sacrifice, etc. I'm pretty sure few of us did either when we were that age. Anyway, as soon as the coaches left the locker room, the same kids that no doubt got the team kicked out of practice, started acting up, laughing and yelling.

Us old timers tend to forget what it was like to be a kid. Or maybe we current parents are nicer and indulge our kids more than the generation before us? Note, I don't think this is a socioeconomic disparity--most of the kids on this team have first-generation immigrant parents from Czech or Poland. This is a group of parents who are blue collar for the most part, but I think the "spoiling" of kids now ranges across socioeconomic classes whereas in the past it might have been disproportionately a practice of the upper classes.

I've posted before about my son and hockey. Last night, I'm at the rink getting ready to watch the Blackhawks pre-season game in the crappy little lobby on a plastic chair that makes my ass hurt for days after sitting in it, and two of the coaches sit down next to me in their full gear, skates on, helmets with half shields, didn't even take off their gloves or put down their sticks. Both were still sweating from the drills they just instructed, and I swear if smoking was allowed, both would have lit up a heater.

One is new to our team, Coach Stan, who is maybe 60-65. The other I've never seen before but older than the first. I chat them up for a bit, asking about hockey, etc. and find out the older guy, Coach Chez, played in an independent league for the Chicago Cardinals and then the Rockford team from 1970-77. Old timer said it was basically just like Slapshot--lots of fights, people getting their teeth knocked out, no helmets, lot of characters.

One team had a defenseman that he said he would not go into the corners on. Literally, every time the puck went in the corner against the guy, he just skated away because he said the guy was a madman--would cut you with his skates, cheap shot you in the balls, look to kill you every time. Coach Chez said in his first couple of seasons he saw two of his teammates get knocked out and had to be carried off the ice by the guy. But then after the game, all the players would head to the same bar and this guy would be the first one to buy a round for everyone. A real sweetheart off the ice.

After playing, this coach was a referee for various minor leagues for 20 years, then drove the Zamboni at the United Center for a decade, then "retired" to traveling around to various local ice rinks to serve as a house league coach or instructor. I mean, this guy's entire life has been hockey since age 19, it sounded like. He's not alone. There are plenty of these old timers out there, scraping by (they can't make very much money; I know at our rink he's coaching for free) just to get ice time with a team as a coach or whatever. I'm guessing they are all bouncing around up here in the north and must be around Canada, too. Every coach my son has ever had, for example, has been an older guy with no kid on the team and is volunteering. I don't think any other U.S. sport has such a fascinating sub-culture surrounding it.

Later that night, the other coach, Coach Stan (who was the goalie coach for the Chicago Wolves not too long ago), kicked my son's entire team "off the ice" and called the parents into the locker room. He pointed to us and said "you guys aren't taking this seriously enough. You need to stop goofing off, stop talking when we're talking, and pay attention. Your parents work hard to pay for you to play this sport, drive you here . . . " It went on and on and he gave really good reasons for why these kids should be grateful and take the coaches and their time there seriously (it's true; getting ice time is a bitch). He even used the "respect the game" line.

I loved that this guy was doing this, but I could see it was not landing on the kids it needed to. They are 13-14 years old and have no conception of gratitude, sacrifice, etc. I'm pretty sure few of us did either when we were that age. Anyway, as soon as the coaches left the locker room, the same kids that no doubt got the team kicked out of practice, started acting up, laughing and yelling.

Us old timers tend to forget what it was like to be a kid. Or maybe we current parents are nicer and indulge our kids more than the generation before us? Note, I don't think this is a socioeconomic disparity--most of the kids on this team have first-generation immigrant parents from Czech or Poland. This is a group of parents who are blue collar for the most part, but I think the "spoiling" of kids now ranges across socioeconomic classes whereas in the past it might have been disproportionately a practice of the upper classes.
great story. i'm not sure any sport has a "culture" like hockey does. great stuff. yes kids today have no conception of gratitude etc. case in point my daughter. this morning i found on the kitchen sink the bag of goldfish left totally open. next to the halloween sprinkled sugar cookies i bought last night. guess what? the lid missing. just sitting in the plastic container thing with no lid. then i go into her bathroom and her shampoo bottle is on its side with all of the shampoo poured down the side wall of the tub. so it's shitty parenting but damn i feel like there are eternal forces conspiring against us with this generation of kids

BK when asked how he deals with the players being different today than in the past....

"Kids are the same as they ever were, what's changed is the parents....." (or something to that effect)

sadly, there's no going back

oh, and love hockey...best sport ever

Last edited:
but I think the "spoiling" of kids now ranges across socioeconomic classes whereas in the past it might have been disproportionately a practice of the upper classes.
You can thank social media, in part. Yeah, a lower income kid had to go to school and his shoes might not be flashy or his clothes but he didn't have to have it rubbed in his (and his parents') face the way it is today. Meaning all damn day long. Our society has devolved into form over function to an extent it causes emotional harm to children. The only way to deal with it? Spend more.

Tougher to be a parent these days as well when your kid can turn you into CPS for disciplining them. Or goes to the school nurse for mental health issues they saw on Tik Tok and now ascribe to themsevles. I remember when WebMD first came out and everybody thought they had cancer b/c they had a sore knee. And with the schools' fear of liabiltiy they take all reports seriously and have to take action. Action which usually requires some kind of administration other than telling the kid they're going to be fine and it will get better**********.

**********Yes I know there are kids who have actual mental health problems which need addressed but why are the numbers so much higher than 20 years ago?

They brought their phuckin cars!!
no shit. i was playing in a soccer tournament when i was like 14-15. Supposed to be U15. There were two teams who had kids that drove to the tourney. No kidding.

We did not win.

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens

How old is your son?

My grandson made onto the Denver composite public school team. The coach is a no-nonsense guy and was COY year before last. Definitely old school. My grandson is the biggest kid on the team, and coach wants him on the wings and in the corners, that’s where the rougher hockey is played. He is catching on. Even in high school, the speed of the game is amazing.

How old is your son?

My grandson made onto the Denver composite public school team. The coach is a no-nonsense guy and was COY year before last. Definitely old school. My grandson is the biggest kid on the team, and coach wants him on the wings and in the corners, that’s where the rougher hockey is played. He is catching on. Even in high school, the speed of the game is amazing.
That's awesome for your grandson. HS games here are really fun: fast, lots of hitting, and the stands are usually full.

My son is 13. He's the smallest kid on the team (8th grade/Bantams), not a great skater (as slow as McMurt's daughter), but smart and tries hard.

You can thank social media, in part. Yeah, a lower income kid had to go to school and his shoes might not be flashy or his clothes but he didn't have to have it rubbed in his (and his parents') face the way it is today. Meaning all damn day long. Our society has devolved into form over function to an extent it causes emotional harm to children. The only way to deal with it? Spend more.

Tougher to be a parent these days as well when your kid can turn you into CPS for disciplining them. Or goes to the school nurse for mental health issues they saw on Tik Tok and now ascribe to themsevles. I remember when WebMD first came out and everybody thought they had cancer b/c they had a sore knee. And with the schools' fear of liabiltiy they take all reports seriously and have to take action. Action which usually requires some kind of administration other than telling the kid they're going to be fine and it will get better**********.

**********Yes I know there are kids who have actual mental health problems which need addressed but why are the numbers so much higher than 20 years ago?
You’re turning into a cranky old conservative. Welcome to the team 🍻

Because kids 20 years ago didn't carry their mental health problem in their pocket with them everywhere they went.

Nice story, but...

TL;DR version...

"Damn kids nowadays."

Any talk about sitting pine if they don't get their shit together?

• Sad

Did you read Frederick Bachman ‘s Beartown? Hockey is about the only major sport I don’t care about or pay attention to. But that book really gave me a better understanding of the culture you are talking about.

go the distance

You get the special discount on beer (35%), bourbon (40%) and Peter Millar clothing (50%).

You can’t afford to not be a conservative. Resistance is futile.
Well, I’ll probably yell at them to make sure they don’t forget to sign up for MFA and that the first word in REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE is REDUCE you little shits. Now get off my lawn.

So there’s that.

Holy crap, what a post! I love it. Where to start? Perhaps here:

yeM.gif

My first thought after looking at the title:

giphy.gif

I love that you're bringing hockey into this, given I'm living in the hotbed (at least domestically).

86af8ba6-2c17-4867-8395-2f7b9d209492_text.gif

And you think "ice time" is tough in Chicago? In my district, the kidergarten kids are forced to practice at 9pm sometimes. Some might call us...

cake-eater-ducks.gif

Meanwhile, pond hockey is still alive and well (you should venture up to Lake Nakomis once - there are a few Chicago teams including one with some ex-IU club guys that compete)

giphy.gif

Old guys like this are still in the staple stores up here:

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f58476e674b557873456d627269413d3d2d3931303130313439392e313631643333393464343165386133653732393236363935333730352e676966

And, if you think Minnesotans are crazy - you need to meet some small town Canadians. The type that host kids in junior leagues. Those people are nuts.

Enforcers off the ice
I find it interesting Chez's story and I wonder if enforcers everyone hates like Ryan Reaves or Lucic are actually good guys to hang with off the ice. They seem like total pricks, but they probably have that lightswitch that they can toggle. I was never that way - couldn't friend the enemy, even if everything was finished. Call it pride, arrogance, I don't know...

Kids behavior
I know exactly what you are saying regarding this topic. A small part of me knows there is some "old man vs. youth syndrome" whereby we are projecting how we expect kids to behave based on what we remember, which is likely distorted based on our curent status (parents, etc.).

However, there is definitely a real change in kids' attention spans and attitudes. There are probably numerous factors driving this (smart phones, internet and social media), but also some ones that don't get enough attention. For instance, I've already started a thread on how weak our punishments are relative to crimes - but that isn't just inside the judicial system. I was spanked when I was a kid and did stuff wrong. I definitely ate soap. I don't remember a belt or paddle, but know that my father was raised with such.

No way you can do those things today - even spanking (at least publicly). You would be labeled as a child abuser, etc. and quickly lose your custodial rights, not to mention tarnishing your name and family. My 5 year old is being a little shit and kicked my wife earlier tonight. I wanted nothing more than give him a whack on his backside. But, societal pressures tell me I can't. So we resort to lesser punishments and the kids don't learn. And we complain. It's a nasty cycle.

80OI.gif

I mean love not live. I was on my phone. I didn't have time to make my point. Though my daughter might have been irritated she was not destroyed. I raised a tough girl. The truth is with all four of my children which are two sons and two daughters I fell in love with them immediately. In reality I fell in love with them when I first found out we were having them.

Last edited:
If you like hockey culture and good old Canadian humor, I cannot recommend Letterkenny and Shoresy enough. Hockey “chirping” is pretty central to the show and some of them are just brutal. Shoresy chirping at high school kids while he refs is amazing comedy.

Did you read Frederick Bachman ‘s Beartown? Hockey is about the only major sport I don’t care about or pay attention to. But that book really gave me a better understanding of the culture you are talking about.
It’s kinda like basketball at light speed. The off sides rule slows down the breakaways, but still a lot of similarities.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT