ADVERTISEMENT

John Oliver and his million dollar offer to Clarence Thomas

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
John Oliver offers Clarence Thomas a million dollars a year for life plus a new motor coach if he steps down from the Supreme Court.

Thomas has 30 days from last night to accept.

If you're thinking this sounds like it should be against ethics rules or even against the law, John Oliver agrees with you. He had lawyers review this offer and as the rules are written, it's completely above board and legal as far as Supreme Court justices are concerned.

I know a some of you will dismiss Oliver as some sort of partisan comedian, but his clip on the Supreme Court - Thomas specifically - is worth watching.

Reactions: Bowlmania
John Oliver offers Clarence Thomas a million dollars a year for life plus a new motor coach if he steps down from the Supreme Court.

Thomas has 30 days from last night to accept.

If you're thinking this sounds like it should be against ethics rules or even against the law, John Oliver agrees with you. He had lawyers review this offer and as the rules are written, it's completely above board and legal as far as Supreme Court justices are concerned.

I know a some of you will dismiss Oliver as some sort of partisan comedian, but his clip on the Supreme Court - Thomas specifically - is worth watching.
I hope there is video of Thomas laughing in his face

I hope there is video of Thomas laughing in his face
If ever there was proof that people who hold high office and/or appointments in Washington have no respect for accountability or their appointments/office, that hypothetical video would be it.

If ever there was proof that people who hold high office and/or appointments in Washington have no respect for accountability or their appointments/office, that hypothetical video would be it.
How so?

Publicly offering bribes to a SC Judge?

If it's not a laughing matter, the clown needs to see jail time.

How so?

I believe he said he checked with attorneys. But what are your thoughts on the many “ gifts” Thomas has already accepted?

How so?

The whole point in Oliver doing it is that it isn't illegal - and thinks it should be.

I think your ire is misdirected. Are you just now learning about all the trips and gifts Thomas has accepted - and didn't report - over the last few decades?

The whole point in Oliver doing it is that it isn't illegal - and thinks it should be.

I think your ire is misdirected. Are you just now learning about all the trips and gifts Thomas has accepted - and didn't report - over the last few decades?
Bribes?

What was required of Judge Thomas? How did he reciprocate?

I'll wait.

What did Burisma offer the judge?

Bribes?

What was required of Judge Thomas? How did he reciprocate?

I'll wait.

What did Burisma offer the judge?
Wait - are you saying that people who have cases being heard by the Supreme Court should be able to take Justices on lavish trips and buy things from and for them? And the Justices shouldn't have to report all that?

And let's put a pin in the Burisma stuff for now, but we can come back to it. Because that's turning out to be pretty bonkers too.

I'm genuinely interested in what you think of all the Thomas/Supreme Court gifts stuff.

Wait - are you saying that people who have cases being heard by the Supreme Court should be able to take Justices on lavish trips and buy things from and for them? And the Justices shouldn't have to report all that?

And let's put a pin in the Burisma stuff for now, but we can come back to it. Because that's turning out to be pretty bonkers too.

I'm genuinely interested in what you think of all the Thomas/Supreme Court gifts stuff.
Not saying that at all.

Still waiting for your answer to the questions..

How did he reciprocate?
What parties received material benefit?

Should be easy. You are adamant ...

Not saying that at all.

Still waiting for your answer to the questions..

How did he reciprocate?
What parties received material benefit?

Should be easy. You are adamant ...
You're moving the goalposts way out of the stadium here.

The whole point of what Oliver is doing is pointing out that Supreme Court Justices aren't beholden to other ethics laws that countless other legislators and political appointees are. There are strict rules on state and federal legislators on what they can accept as a gift and what they need to report. I think we can agree that that's a good thing.

What I'd hope we can agree on is that it's a bad thing that Supreme Court Justices aren't held to the same legal standard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT