ADVERTISEMENT

Kaufman Announcement Date Set for 10-30

I've never put much stock in to the predictions anyway. I do feel bad for Trey and his family. I don't really understand the details of what happened, but it sounds like he was trying to help out a friend who has a HS radio program or podcast. Hope the release was purely accidental, but I don't understand why you tape something like that anyway; isn't that what the announcement is for? Sorry Trey, this is what happens when you get involved with Purdue. PCFUAWD.

come on... the mistake had nothing to do with Purdue. I don’t normally post here so I hope you are just being facetious

Reactions: Bill4411
Hope it comes out what changed a "lock" to PU in one week. Realize he is a kid, but even kids don't flip flop like that over nothing.

Archie has recruited pretty well, that said until we actually do something on the court the program is going to become a harder and harder sell.

I think it goes without saying, but this is a huge year for the program.

Recruiting is fine. It is about delivering on the floor.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I never felt great about Trey for some reason. Maybe we were just bound to lose one at some point, but the way it dragged on, waiting on other offers, etc... I am surprised it's PU though. I thought Furst going there would preclude it and if TJD leaves, the minutes and opportunity looks great at IU, but that's probably me as an IU fan saying that. But, Lander, Mohammed, Kaufman, Duncomb/Brunk, Thpmpson, Hunter, and Phin looked like a pretty solid group. I wonder if there was anything to the earlier talk that TK didn't want to play with Lander?

I've said all along Painter is a good coach and recruiting has been his weakness. But, you've got to tip your hat: Morton, Furst, and Kaufman. Now he's kicking our tail in recruiting too. Time to change it on the court. Hope Archie has a solid backup plan. Not having any frontcourt players in this years class, continues to look like a mistake to me. I like this years team, so I hope they make us forget about Trey.
TK was quoted as saying Painter and the Purdue coaches showed him how similar his game was to Vince Edwards, and that he would be utilized much like VE was. Conversely, he said Miller and Ostrum kept showing him how IU uses TJD, even though Kaufman believes (and he was quoted as saying this) that his game is nothing like Davis’. It was either a clear disconnect or just a situation where IU really couldn’t effectIvey show him how he fit into Miller’s offense. One coach with a clear and supported vision versus another guy lacking in either. Not hard to see how that might go sideways.

I go back to my 6 pm Friday news dump theory. You use that timeslot to bury news that will be received as negative in 90% of the state,

Wish him well, obviously he felt he was not a good fit in Btown. IU will be fine going forward.

Theory makes sense but that 90% figure is a bit high.

Not that this is breaking news, but shows how worthless Crystal Ball is.

I think it really shows how worthless peegs is. Who flips there pick the day before that has any balls? His picks from now on should be considered worthless unless he flips in the last second like the rest of the worthless folks that do that style. God I hate that, take the L stand by your shit.

Sam story is also not an insider to anyone that matters, shocker I know. He said no1 I know thinks trey is going anywhere than IU. Welp they all don't know him or have good sources, again complete shocker.

The key to these things is actually finding a board member you have read for years/have a semblance of respect for. When they say they know someone on the inside I have found that is the info you should follow. We are dealing with 17 year old HS kids. I know it was the stone ages for most of you, but think about who you would be talking to? Your buddies in that HS (normally posters with kids in school with them are spot on) or to Fatjohns who hasn't cut his hair since Nam. Last night he actually said I am on the phone with his mom right now guys the rumor is false of the leak trey to PU... LOL what a turd. If you give money to peegs, you are getting played!!!

I think it really shows how worthless peegs is. Who flips there pick the day before that has any balls? His picks from now on should be considered worthless unless he flips in the last second like the rest of the worthless folks that do that style. God I hate that, take the L stand by your shit.

Sam story is also not an insider to anyone that matters, shocker I know. He said no1 I know thinks trey is going anywhere than IU. Welp they all don't know him or have good sources, again complete shocker.

The key to these things is actually finding a board member you have read for years/have a semblance of respect for. When they say they know someone on the inside I have found that is the info you should follow. We are dealing with 17 year old HS kids. I know it was the stone ages for most of you, but think about who you would be talking to? Your buddies in that HS (normally posters with kids in school with them are spot on) or to Fatjohns who hasn't cut his hair since Nam. Last night he actually said I am on the phone with his mom right now guys the rumor is false of the leak trey to PU... LOL what a turd. If you give money to peegs, you are getting played!!!

Seems shady but I think the mom was lying to try to preserve the excitement for today.

Hope it comes out what changed a "lock" to PU in one week. Realize he is a kid, but even kids don't flip flop like that over nothing.

I hope it comes out that he was always leaning Purdue and has been looking forward to playing with Furst and played the "media"

Seems shady but I think the mom was lying to try to preserve the excitement for today.

Or they have just lied to him from the jump like Winston Garland lol. I mean would you have respect for that dude if you were doing a zoom call with him? Jesus. lol

Pretty frustrating and embarrassing L for Archie here. Not often are we the front runner and to blow a lead like this is to your in-state rival is unacceptable.

Well, recruiting is a means to an end. It is not, and never has been, the desired end itself. And, yeah, losing out on primary recruiting targets is a frustrating thing that makes it that much more difficult to reach those desired ends.

That said, and as far as those desired ends go, there hasn't been much in Archie Miller's time here that ought to be considered acceptable. So I don't think anybody should be all that surprised.

The question really is how much we're going to put up with and how long we're going to put up with it. To me it isn't even a very close call.

Reactions: jhays523
It’s pretty clear he was never as sold on IU as some wanted to believe. Didn’t he nearly commit to Purdue before Covidmani? I doubt we ever reall were in the lead for him. At the least, he was never secure enough with IU that he could select us. We simply couldn’t communicate a clear vision to him about how he would fit in the program, and Painter and Purdue. Simple as that.

Reactions: jhays523
Well, recruiting is a means to an end. It is not, and never has been, the desired end itself. And, yeah, losing out on primary recruiting targets is a frustrating thing that makes it that much more difficult to reach those desired ends.

That said, and as far as those desired ends go, there hasn't been much in Archie Miller's time here that ought to be considered acceptable. So I don't think anybody should be all that surprised.

The question really is how much we're going to put up with and how long we're going to put up with it. To me it isn't even a very close call.
With this roster there are no excuses, if there isn't improvement then it might be time to look elsewhere.

The 21-22 season has the makings of a real slide into the ditch. To Kaufman, it probably wasn’t a very close call, either.

Last edited:
I hope it comes out that he was always leaning Purdue and has been looking forward to playing with Furst and played the "media"
He wasn’t trying to play the media, and he’s not trying to bury the news. Both are inane attempts to offer bogus information. He just found Purdue’s program to be the best fit for his game, something they clearly communicated to him. When he mentioned IU was showing him tape of how we use Davis, even though TK sees their individual games as totally different, you knew we didn’t have a chance.

We are going to find out this season. They are set up pretty well, let's just see what happens and then act accordingly.

I have been a season ticket holder for 25 years (not including six years as a student) and after what we as fans went through from 1996 to now we have hope for a breakthrough...I am not quite ready to jump off the ledge just yet.

With this roster there are no excuses, if there isn't improvement then it might be time to look elsewhere.

Well, define "improvement."

Let me play devil's advocate here. We finished tied for 10th in the conference last year. We did have 20 wins, but more than half of those were against Q3 and Q4 competition. Probably would've snuck in the tournament field -- had there been one -- with a double-digit seed.

If we finish 7th, as some projections have us, is that sufficient improvement for us to keep going? Or are we going to judge improvement by certain statistics?

I know I sound like a broken record on this. And, clearly, some people think the notion is hooey. But I don't think the coaching staff is our problem. Or, at least, I don't necessarily think a new coaching staff will fix our problem.

I think the cultural tolerance for crappy performance that we've developed through the decades-long cascade of awful decisions by our administration is our problem. It's on display here every day.

If we don't change that, then I wouldn't expect too much from a coaching change. In that case, may as well stick it out with Archie and just embrace mediocrity.

Reactions: Birnk403
Pretty frustrating and embarrassing L for Archie here. Not often are we the front runner and to blow a lead like this is to your in-state rival is unacceptable.
Well, I'd question if we ever were the frontrunner? In defense of Trey, he played it straight the whole time and always said he was taking his time to decide. We were only the frontrunner, imo, based on a bunch of pundits, but not based on anything Trey said or that was released.

I still don't get how that gets released. I almost wonder if they decided to do this to somehow blunt the outrage and this was a better option? It always seemed strange to me that they made such a big deal about some local radio program broadcasting the announcement. Generally it's "here's when/where I'm announcing and they want all the media there. Very strange.

We are going to find out this season. They are set up pretty well, let's just see what happens and then act accordingly.

I have been a season ticket holder for 25 years (not including six years as a student) and after what we as fans went through from 1996 to now we have hope for a breakthrough...I am not quite ready to jump off the ledge just yet.

Well, despite my overall negativity, I very much am still rooting for the team to succeed. I'm rooting for Archie to succeed. He's our coach, why wouldn't I?

I'm practically begging to be fed a huge helping of crow. Nothing would be more gratifying. I don't have this disposition because I want the fleeting and false satisfaction of being able to say "I told you so."

So, I'm with you in hoping that the team puts out the kind of performance this year that truly would meet what I think our expectations ought to be. I hope we do well enough that we don't even have to have a debate about whether or not they cleared the bar.

I'm just tired of having a lowered bar and I don't think it's the way back to where we all want to be.

Let's not do this. He must have felt IU was not a good fit and that Is fine. IU wants players that want IU.

He is giving up a lot...he won't be that "Hero for life" in the state that comes with playing at IU. I am sure it was a difficult decision.
Do what? I could care less where the kid wants to play. My point was if he wanted his moment to truly be a secret he should not have taped anything in advance bit told anyone outside family. Nothing more than that.

Reactions: kkott
come on... the mistake had nothing to do with Purdue. I don’t normally post here so I hope you are just being facetious
Oh yes, I forget PU folks are literal creatures and don't get sarcasm and kidding. No, I do not believe in anyway Purdue was involved, just making a joke. But, it is just such a very Purdue thing to have happen. Your program is like the Schleprock of college bball. Just when things seem great (like getting to the F4 a couple years ago), fate has a way of jerking the football away before you get to kick it. C'mon Charlie (Purdue) Brown, I won't yank it away this time. Just try one more time...!

Well, I'd question if we ever were the frontrunner? In defense of Trey, he played it straight the whole time and always said he was taking his time to decide. We were only the frontrunner, imo, based on a bunch of pundits, but not based on anything Trey said or that was released.

I still don't get how that gets released. I almost wonder if they decided to do this to somehow blunt the outrage and this was a better option? It always seemed strange to me that they made such a big deal about some local radio program broadcasting the announcement. Generally it's "here's when/where I'm announcing and they want all the media there. Very strange.

Does it really matter?

Never even implied Painter cheated - meant what changed the kid's thinking/choice
I don’t think he changed anything. I doubt IU was ever his choice. Purdue was likely out front for some time or, at the least, they were never off the top line (even if others came close to them). He admitted he was most comfortable with how he would fit into their offense, the sort of flashing neon sign that anyone should’ve seen as a clear indication of his preference. I think his dilemma was very likely whether he should attempt to wait out the Covid restrictions so he could more closely evaluate UVA and UNC. But he thoroughly kicked the tires on IU and found ways to keep searching for something he liked more.

Well, define "improvement."

Let me play devil's advocate here. We finished tied for 10th in the conference last year. We did have 20 wins, but more than half of those were against Q3 and Q4 competition. Probably would've snuck in the tournament field -- had there been one -- with a double-digit seed.

If we finish 7th, as some projections have us, is that sufficient improvement for us to keep going? Or are we going to judge improvement by certain statistics?

I know I sound like a broken record on this. And, clearly, some people think the notion is hooey. But I don't think the coaching staff is our problem. Or, at least, I don't necessarily think a new coaching staff will fix our problem.

I think the cultural tolerance for crappy performance that we've developed through the decades-long cascade of awful decisions by our administration is our problem. It's on display here every day.

If we don't change that, then I wouldn't expect too much from a coaching change. In that case, may as well stick it out with Archie and just embrace mediocrity.
No, I want a top 4 finish. We have the talent to be top a 20ish sweet 16 type team, anything less is a disappointment.

I don't care about the projections as they greatly underestimate our roster talent. If Archie is the the coach we expect him to be then he should be able to pull that out of this team. The lack of shooting, discipline, and consistency has to stop or we need to look elsewhere.

Reactions: .Gerdis and kkott
No, I want a top 4 finish. We have the talent to be top a 20ish sweet 16 type team, anything less is a disappointment.

I don't care about the projections as they greatly underestimate our roster talent. If Archie is the the coach we expect him to be then he should be able to pull that out of this team. The lack of shooting, discipline, and consistency has to stop or we need to look elsewhere.
Why do you think most knowledgable observers “greatly underestimate our talent”? More specifically, what are you seeing that most others are not?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT