ADVERTISEMENT

Incoming transfer wish list

iubirdman

Junior
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2016
So we are for sure in need of 3 spots and potentially 6 or more additions from the portal. With that in mind, what would your potential wish list look like? For me I would look at

Jalen Blackmon--had a great year at Stetson and can flat-out shoot it--averaged over 20 a game at near 40% from 3 on high volume and multiple brothers that played at IU

Conner Essegian--had a really good freshman year but for some reason regressed this year, but shot 36% last year on over 5 attempts per game. May be looking for a fresh start

Johnell Davis--Averaging 18 a game at FAU, from Indiana and shooting 43% from 3 on the year. Would guess this would only potentially happen in May left for a new job, but was an Indiana All-Star with Trey and Leal (even though games were not played)

Avila, Swoope, or Conwell from ISU 2 guards and a big. Both guards were in-state kids and Avila is just fun to watch. Have to assume their coach leaves and they will be in demand

Booker--If he is frustrated at MSU, take a flier, I know he is not a true big, but there is potential there and after seeing what the staff has done to develop TJD, MR, and KW why not take a shot!

Obviously would need more bigs if MR and to a lesser extent MM leave, but I think those 2 would be a really good 4/5 combo but only Sparks behind them as a big--which is why I include Avila

Obviously, this is a WISH list and many may not even enter the portal, but have to dream at times!

So we are for sure in need of 3 spots and potentially 6 or more additions from the portal. With that in mind, what would your potential wish list look like? For me I would look at

Jalen Blackmon--had a great year at Stetson and can flat-out shoot it--averaged over 20 a game at near 40% from 3 on high volume and multiple brothers that played at IU

Conner Essegian--had a really good freshman year but for some reason regressed this year, but shot 36% last year on over 5 attempts per game. May be looking for a fresh start

Johnell Davis--Averaging 18 a game at FAU, from Indiana and shooting 43% from 3 on the year. Would guess this would only potentially happen in May left for a new job, but was an Indiana All-Star with Trey and Leal (even though games were not played)

Avila, Swoope, or Conwell from ISU 2 guards and a big. Both guards were in-state kids and Avila is just fun to watch. Have to assume their coach leaves and they will be in demand

Booker--If he is frustrated at MSU, take a flier, I know he is not a true big, but there is potential there and after seeing what the staff has done to develop TJD, MR, and KW why not take a shot!

Obviously would need more bigs if MR and to a lesser extent MM leave, but I think those 2 would be a really good 4/5 combo but only Sparks behind them as a big--which is why I include Avila

Obviously, this is a WISH list and many may not even enter the portal, but have to dream at times!
You've at least identified players that make sense/have a connection of some sort. I'm not sure I think the ISU coach is on the move just yet, but we shall see how things shake out I guess. If he stays put, I would bet most of his players do as well.

You've at least identified players that make sense/have a connection of some sort. I'm not sure I think the ISU coach is on the move just yet, but we shall see how things shake out I guess. If he stays put, I would bet most of his players do as well.
yes the ISU kids and even Davis at FAU would probably require a move by their coaches--unless Davis wants his friends and family to be able to watch him in person WAY more frequently than they can in Florida. As I said, just a wish list but tried to think of some with connections to the school/state that may be looking to move up or make a fresh start

Not sure I would go after Booker. We need a true PG, a scoring wing and 2 front court guys. Blackmon is intriguing for sure. Sparks out up great numbers at Ball st so I get worried about guys coming from smaller programs. It can work though…see Knecht

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Not sure I would go after Booker. We need a true PG, a scoring wing and 2 front court guys. Blackmon is intriguing for sure. Sparks out up great numbers at Ball st so I get worried about guys coming from smaller programs. It can work though…see Knecht
Year there is a reason I listed him last, low floor high ceiling type guy that probably has a higher chance at a bust than a big time hit, but if we end up needing 7-8 guys and he enters, I would think you have to take a look at least

Would we not assume Schertz or May brings their players with him if they both make moves?

Blackmon makes too much sense and needs to be priority #1 even if you still look to add a higher caliber guard later. Blackmon worst case raises the floor in the back court.

Connor Hickman at Bradley is someone I would prefer over Essegian. Local kid from Bloomington South. Averaged 14 ppg and shot 41% on volume. Probably not a 30 mpg player at this level but someone who can play extended minutes off the bench.

Would we not assume Schertz or May brings their players with him if they both make moves?

Blackmon makes too much sense and needs to be priority #1 even if you still look to add a higher caliber guard later. Blackmon worst case raises the floor in the back court.

Connor Hickman at Bradley is someone I would prefer over Essegian. Local kid from Bloomington South. Averaged 14 ppg and shot 41% on volume. Probably not a 30 mpg player at this level but someone who can play extended minutes off the bench.
Depends, where are they going, what are their needs, and do the players want to go there? Again, that is why a WISH list, not a probability list, although I tried to stick with guys that have some sort of connection. HIckman would be interesting--better year this year than Essegian for sure, but Essegian was a 12 ppg kid as a fresh playing 27-28 minutes a game in the B1G, so you know that potential is there

Obviously need dynamic guards and wings. Especially need a creative pg that can also defend. Avila? No thanks. Interesting to watch, but he cannot guard anyone. That 6’8” Drake center was steamrolling him in the post. Our center has to be a rim protector.

I've posted versions of this before...but here it is again...my comprehensive wish list.

Staff changes: Replace one of your "recruiter assistants" with a seasoned, proven, lower level head coach.

Returning Players: Trey, Anthony, Malik, Mack, Jakai, Gabe, Payton

Portal/Late HS: B10 starter level PG, B10 starter level scoring guard/wing, Elite rim protecting big, 3 and D guy with some length, versatile all around athlete/JYD type player. At least a couple of these guys needs to be multi year transfer/HS kids.

No matter what, Woody needs to get at least 2 starter level perimeter players, and a good big to replace Ware.

If we don't need Trey, Anthony, or Gabe to start next year, because we have better options...it should be a lot better year.

I've posted versions of this before...but here it is again...my comprehensive wish list.

Staff changes: Replace one of your "recruiter assistants" with a seasoned, proven, lower level head coach.

Returning Players: Trey, Anthony, Malik, Mack, Jakai, Gabe, Payton

Portal/Late HS: B10 starter level PG, B10 starter level scoring guard/wing, Elite rim protecting big, 3 and D guy with some length, versatile all around athlete/JYD type player. At least a couple of these guys needs to be multi year transfer/HS kids.

No matter what, Woody needs to get at least 2 starter level perimeter players, and a good big to replace Ware.

If we don't need Trey, Anthony, or Gabe to start next year, because we have better options...it should be a lot better year.
At the risk of getting an elite big like Ware, you are likely relegated to playing Reneau again at the 4 and MM at the 3. Obviously having 2 guards better than XJ and Galloway makes for a better lineup, but then again good luck getting two elite guards who want to play in the same condensed floor like this year.

Ideally you get an elite defensive 5 who you can play 20-25 mpg off the bench with different lineup combos featuring MM and MR at the 4. Any portal guard considering IU is going to have Woody's system used negatively against him. Woodson needs to go all-in on an elite level PG and then try and bring in an off-ball scorer (someone like Jalen Blackmon) to pair with Galloway. If you're going to try and replace Ware with an equal caliber big, you need to recruit two extremely high level shooters on the perimeter instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spartans9312
At the risk of getting an elite big like Ware, you are likely relegated to playing Reneau again at the 4 and MM at the 3. Obviously having 2 guards better than XJ and Galloway makes for a better lineup, but then again good luck getting two elite guards who want to play in the same condensed floor like this year.

Ideally you get an elite defensive 5 who you can play 20-25 mpg off the bench with different lineup combos featuring MM and MR at the 4. Any portal guard considering IU is going to have Woody's system us negatively against him. Woodson needs to go all-in on an elite level PG and then try and bring in an off-ball scorer (someone like Jalen Blackmon) to pair with Galloway. If you're going to try and replace Ware with an equal caliber big, you need to recruit two extremely high-level shooters on the perimeter instead.
Ideally, you have Malik at the 5 and MM at the 4, which will help a ton with spacing, esp if Malik continues to develop his ability to play in space. Of course that is also assuming they both return!!!

Reactions: kkott

I was very surprised Booker started against us Sunday. Did he play any in the second half? I literally don't know if he did much in the game.

We've become a transfer portal program. How sad.

I was very surprised Booker started against us Sunday. Did he play any in the second half? I literally don't know if he did much in the game.
He played 7 minutes from the box score. I think Izzo in the save face mode at the risk of losing him to the portal and just trying to keep his spirits up.

Last edited:

Ideally you get an elite defensive 5 who you can play 20-25 mpg off the bench with different lineup combos featuring MM and MR at the 4. Any portal guard considering IU is going to have Woody's system used negatively against him. Woodson needs to go all-in on an elite level PG and then try and bring in an off-ball scorer (someone like Jalen Blackmon) to pair with Galloway. If you're going to try and replace Ware with an equal caliber big, you need to recruit two extremely high level shooters on the perimeter instead.
I agree with much of that. But we do need rim protection. Ideally, find a big who can defend the post and rebound. And who can effectively pass and screen from the perimeter. NW and WI have had several of these and have run much of their offense through them. If they can shoot 3’s, it’s an added bonus. Then let MR operate from the post, assuming he can improve his decision making and passing out of double teams. This would open the floor up substantially. I suppose this is unlikely, because Woodson thinks the offense has to be “inside out”. I get very tired of watching the clogged up lane.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
yes the ISU kids and even Davis at FAU would probably require a move by their coaches--unless Davis wants his friends and family to be able to watch him in person WAY more frequently than they can in Florida. As I said, just a wish list but tried to think of some with connections to the school/state that may be looking to move up or make a fresh start
we might have more NIL to throw at them, and sometimes kids want to move up to a higher level. That'd be up to them if they think that's IU!

I agree with much of that. But we do need rim protection. Ideally, find a big who can defend the post and rebound. And who can effectively pass and screen from the perimeter. NW and WI have had several of these and have run much of their offense through them. If they can shoot 3’s, it’s an added bonus. Then let MR operate from the post, assuming he can improve his decision making and passing out of double teams. This would open the floor up substantially. I suppose this is unlikely, because Woodson thinks the offense has to be “inside out”. I get very tired of watching the clogged up lane.
Rim protection is definitely a need. But to what extent and at what cost in regards to attracting high caliber guards? I just don’t think having a heavy loaded front court is attractive to portal guards.

Does Woodson ever get on MR for not passing out of double and triple teams? If so, I haven't noticed it.

If you watched Knecht and watched Sparks back then you would have known who the stud was. Knecht jumped off the screen as a can't miss, imo. I don't know how anyone couldn't have seen what Sparks is. One has all the skill in the world, the other very little. Gotta be blind not to see that.

If you watched Knecht and watched Sparks back then you would have known who the stud was. Knecht jumped off the screen as a can't miss, imo. I don't know how anyone couldn't have seen what Sparks is. One has all the skill in the world, the other very little. Gotta be blind not to see that.
Not sure what your point is: Sparks was recruited to add depth and we went after Knecht. It wasn't an either or situation. We got the backup who grew up in IN and always wanted to be a Hoosier, and didn't get the guy who could've filled the biggest hole, which is one of the reasons we struggled.

Last edited:
Not sure what your point is: Sparks was recruited to add depth and we went after Knecht. It wasn't an either or situation. We got the backup and didn't get the guy who could've filled the biggest hole, which is one of the reasons we struggled.
This coaching staff is incapable of recruiting top level kids. It is limited to the portal; meaning, every year is a one year plan. That is what IU has morphed into. Until a premier coach is hired...IU will remain pedestrian at best.

This coaching staff is incapable of recruiting top level kids. It is limited to the portal; meaning, every year is a one year plan. That is what IU has morphed into. Until a premier coach is hired...IU will remain pedestrian at best.
I understand the sentiment and concern, and hope it's shared by Scott Dolson, but he has recruited Hood Schifino, Reanu, Bates, Mbako, Ware and McNeeley. Now of course McNeeley decomitted, and Ware was a portal guy, but he has recruited high level guys. At worst, that's five 5* guys in 3 years, plus re-recruiting TJD. How many 5* guys did Archie get? Crean? I'm not saying there isn't reason for concern, but CMW can make the argument he can recruit talent, whether it's the right mix, or if he's putting enough effort into HS recruiting are questions I hope SD is asking.

Indiana is looking at Clark Slajchert 6'1" 170 lbs PENN grad.

Good news is averaged 18 ppg last year on 42% on 3s. 53% on 2s, 85% on FTs.

Able to score on stop and pop shots and drives at the Ivy League level. Averaged slightly more 2 pt attempts than 3 pt attempts.

Bad news is very physically unimposing guy. Also not particularly quick.

Biggest looks from UCLA, Clemson, PSU, Cal, A & M, Rutgers. Also, a slew of mid-majors.

Questions at our level would be ability to defend and to get the 2pt attempts he was able to get at Penn.

I understand the sentiment and concern, and hope it's shared by Scott Dolson, but he has recruited Hood Schifino, Reanu, Bates, Mbako, Ware and McNeeley. Now of course McNeeley decomitted, and Ware was a portal guy, but he has recruited high level guys. At worst, that's five 5* guys in 3 years, plus re-recruiting TJD. How many 5* guys did Archie get? Crean? I'm not saying there isn't reason for concern, but CMW can make the argument he can recruit talent, whether it's the right mix, or if he's putting enough effort into HS recruiting are questions I hope SD is asking.
Agree we don’t have an issue getting top kids. As we all know we have other issues.

In fairness to Crean and Archie, they didn’t have the NIL era to pay players to come here. And IU never paid big $ under the table like a lot of other schools pre-NIL.

How would Woody do in the non-NIL era? We will never know, but it probably would be quite different, and not in a good way.

And lastly, recently things have fallen off with no recruits, 0 for 31 or so offers, whiffed on Boogie/Queen/McNeeley who he really ran hard at. Raises questions.

Regardless, we’ll see if he can fix all these roster issues…

Last edited:
Agree we don’t have an issue getting top kids. As we all know we have other issues.

In fairness to Crean and Archie, they didn’t have the NIL era to pay players to come here. And IU never paid big $ under the table like a lot of other schools pre-NIL.

How would Woody do with no NIL? We will never know, but it probably would be quite different, and not in a good way.

And lastly, recently things have fallen off with no recruits, 0 for 31 or so offers, whiffed on Boogie/Queen/McNeeley who he really ran hard at. Raises questions.

Regardless, we’ll see if he can fix all these roster issues…
When confined to a short term recruiting strategy, exclusively....there is no consistency, sustainability or recruiting foundation. This is a team that pitches a tent every year...then tears it down in the off season. No foundation to build on. I know how negative this sounds. However, it is a description of what my eyes are seeing and my ears are hearing. I am just a witness.

When confined to a short term recruiting strategy, exclusively....there is no consistency, sustainability or recruiting foundation. This is a team that pitches a tent every year...then tears it down in the off season. No foundation to build on. I know how negative this sounds. However, it is a description of what my eyes are seeing and my ears are hearing. I am just a witness.
I think we're on the same page, I just try and be as objective as I can. I don't think it's right to say Woodson can't recruit talent, when he's gotten so many 5*s. I've also seen this 0-31 stuff posted here (maybe by you more than once?) but I'd have a hard time believeing that. Has someone actually counted or can list the names? My feeling is they are going to be listing offers prior to landing MM, KW, PS and AW last year, which means he wasn't 0-31, or maybe they are only counting guards?

did the Kansas/IU home-n-home series renew or is it over?

Just realized we would have to cover McNeely in Fhog Allen next December. And then deal with the big tall Kokomo kid and possibly Dickheadson yet agin.

did the Kansas/IU home-n-home series renew or is it over?

Just realized we would have to cover McNeely in Fhog Allen next December. And then deal with the big tall Kokomo kid and possibly Dickheadson yet agin.
Don’t think it’s renewed yet. Seems TBD. Given passage of time, feels like it won’t be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT