ADVERTISEMENT

Incoming transfer wish list

Indiana is looking at Clark Slajchert 6'1" 170 lbs PENN grad.

Good news is averaged 18 ppg last year on 42% on 3s. 53% on 2s, 85% on FTs.

Able to score on stop and pop shots and drives at the Ivy League level. Averaged slightly more 2 pt attempts than 3 pt attempts.

Bad news is very physically unimposing guy. Also not particularly quick.

Biggest looks from UCLA, Clemson, PSU, Cal, A & M, Rutgers. Also, a slew of mid-majors.

Questions at our level would be ability to defend and to get the 2pt attempts he was able to get at Penn.
How big is Braden Smith? I don’t remember now.

If it’s true that Musselman contacted him, that suggests to me that the young man is probably athletic enough to play in the B1G 10.

I don't see it Smith looks faster. Plus the kid averaged 2.2 turnovers a game. I wouldn't mine him being a role player but not a starter. To me he looks like Leal but a better shooter and maybe if Leal played in the Ivy he would average 10-15ppg.

Able to score on stop and pop shots and drives at the Ivy League level. Averaged slightly more 2 pt attempts than 3 pt attempts.

Biggest looks from UCLA, Clemson, PSU, Cal, A & M, Rutgers. Also, a slew of mid-majors.

Questions at our level would be ability to defend and to get the 2pt attempts he was able to get at Penn.
Nothing wrong with having a kid like this on the list. Unlike last year, I think engaging with as many capable perimeter oriented players initially as possible is what Woody and staff should do.

Ultimately, this kid doesn't really fit what I think we need. We need Baylor/Houston/UConn type guards. Dawgs that can create and knock down open shots, and defend like crazy.

If we were to get 2-3 starter level perimeter players that are stronger, more versatile, more athletic, etc... getting a kid like this for some quality shooting off the bench wouldn't hurt.

I’m not saying I’m particularly impressed with the kid, just that I don’t think IU is in a place right now where it can be hyper-selective.

I’m not saying I’m particularly impressed with the kid, just that I don’t think IU is in a place right now where it can be hyper-selective.
Between point guards, and all other perimeter/wing positions, there will probably be well over 100 kids in the portal that would be upgrades to our starting lineup. Guys that are a better combination of shooting, playmaking, defending, rebounding...than what we currently have. Identify, very quickly, 20+ of them, and go HARD after them early on.

I'm not sure going after a kid like this, that would improve our shooting, but maybe not really anything else...is a wise move. We have a decent shooting depth piece already in Leal.

And yes, I'm aware that I sound exactly like I did this time last year. I'm not advocating not going after kids, I just think we need to go after a bunch of versatile 2 way players.

Not sure what your point is: Sparks was recruited to add depth and we went after Knecht. It wasn't an either or situation. We got the backup and didn't get the guy who could've filled the biggest hole, which is one of the reasons we struggled.

Nothing wrong with having a kid like this on the list. Unlike last year, I think engaging with as many capable perimeter oriented players initially as possible is what Woody and staff should do.

Ultimately, this kid doesn't really fit what I think we need. We need Baylor/Houston/UConn type guards. Dawgs that can create and knock down open shots, and defend like crazy.

If we were to get 2-3 starter level perimeter players that are stronger, more versatile, more athletic, etc... getting a kid like this for some quality shooting off the bench wouldn't hurt.
I don't see much mention of going after a good player( guard or post) from JC programs. They would have 2 years to play, on average.

Between point guards, and all other perimeter/wing positions, there will probably be well over 100 kids in the portal that would be upgrades to our starting lineup. Guys that are a better combination of shooting, playmaking, defending, rebounding...than what we currently have. Identify, very quickly, 20+ of them, and go HARD after them early on.

I'm not sure going after a kid like this, that would improve our shooting, but maybe not really anything else...is a wise move. We have a decent shooting depth piece already in Leal.

And yes, I'm aware that I sound exactly like I did this time last year. I'm not advocating not going after kids, I just think we need to go after a bunch of versatile 2 way players.
versatile 2 way players are great, which is why so many programs are after them—including a lot of programs currently in better shape, and as such potentially more attractive, than IU.

Depending on how many IU players leave this offseason, Woodson’s incoming portal class may have to include a few players who are a step slower, or an inch or two shorter, than he and his staff might like.

Some points......The schools I mentioned in my post were said to be "looking" at him. We don't know who will offer.......with the Galloway news, we may need one more guard than we thought.....this guy doesn't appear to be a pg--his assists #s weren't real good. He's a 6'1" scoring guard who can score against Ivy League schools by shooting 3s, stopping and popping, and driving to the basket......he's very thin and not explosive, so its debatable how his game transfers to the BT. On the other hand, as someone pointed out, beggars/choosers.

I’m not sure he can get enough in the portal.
Not saying it will happen but, he has pulled some impressive last minute recruiting the past couple years. Reneau and Mgbako were both late guys who were previously committed elsewhere. Who knows?

Reactions: kkott
Not saying it will happen but, he has pulled some impressive last minute recruiting the past couple years. Reneau and Mgbako were both late guys who were previously committed elsewhere. Who knows?
Maybe. We will find out here in the next month and a half.

Reactions: Vern Pain
And if you load up on seniors or guys with no eligibility your starting over again in 2025-26. You have to be smart and get a couple juniors. Next season Leal, Galloway, Sparks are gone for sure out of eligibility. Gunn and Banks are probably in the portal so Cupps, Newton, Reneau, are the only underclassmen. I'm up in the air for Mgbako but if he did come back he is gone after next season and maybe Reneau if he can go pro.

I understand the sentiment and concern, and hope it's shared by Scott Dolson, but he has recruited Hood Schifino, Reanu, Bates, Mbako, Ware and McNeeley. Now of course McNeeley decomitted, and Ware was a portal guy, but he has recruited high level guys. At worst, that's five 5* guys in 3 years, plus re-recruiting TJD. How many 5* guys did Archie get? Crean? I'm not saying there isn't reason for concern, but CMW can make the argument he can recruit talent, whether it's the right mix, or if he's putting enough effort into HS recruiting are questions I hope SD is asking.
Woodson seems incapable of recruiting elite kids long term. McNeeley would have been his first. It seems they do well in a short spurt where the horizon is near, hence JHS, MR, MM and Ware. They need to change that, or we will continue to be in for a wild ride.

Does anyone trust Woodson with the portal?
Durr
Sparks
Young
Johnson
Kopp
Durr, Sparks, Walker (Young?) were never going to be more than bench players to begin with and I still believe Kopp had a role, he was just mis or underused, which, along with roster construction and style of play are where CMW's real flaws are, imo. He's gotten talent, it's just not been for the right roles or they were misused.

Woodson seems incapable of recruiting elite kids long term. McNeeley would have been his first. It seems they do well in a short spurt where the horizon is near, hence JHS, MR, MM and Ware. They need to change that, or we will continue to be in for a wild ride.
Not sure I understand what you are saying: long term/full recruitments or elite players that stay a long time? The latter is extremely rare and is just not the climate today with good/elite players. JHS was a great recruitment win, establishing a tie to Montverde that paid off when MR reopened his recruitment and with LM another long term recruiting win that ultimately failed. JHS was just more ready and blossomed faster than anyone expected, I credit, not fault, CMW for that.

I don't believe we can win consistently with the portal being our primary or recruiting pool. Just like this year, you can assemble a team with decent talent but you don't have the time to develop chemistry and culture with them, and then you're likely going to have to do it again next year. Some coaches might be able to do it, but I think it's going to be largely boom and bust. We've got to recruit HS players and develop them (CMW has developed guys) and then fill the gaps with portal players like UNC has done (Ryan, Ingram and Manek).

I don't see much mention of going after a good player( guard or post) from JC programs. They would have 2 years to play, on average.
Seems like JC is becoming less of a influence as the portal has blown up. Just because someone's in the portal doesn't mean they only have 1 year of eligibility, you can transfer at any point. Ware came to us after only having played a year at Orgegon. He could stay for 2 more years and maybe a 3rd if he has the covid exemption (not sure that was still in effect for last year's incoming players).

Durr, Sparks, Walker (Young?) were never going to be more than bench players to begin with and I still believe Kopp had a role, he was just mis or underused, which, along with roster construction and style of play are where CMW's real flaws are, imo. He's gotten talent, it's just not been for the right roles or they were misused.
Walker my fault

IU coaches will have to earn their pay this offseason or they will be out after next season.

Wish list? I wish they would land more recruits they actually targeted and recruited for years. Wish they could find some of these overseas grow men who don't need two years in the gym before competing. Transfers that can really help are few and far between but if that's the parameters here, find someone who can shoot the ball while also being able to defend.

Reactions: 76-1
IU coaches will have to earn their pay this offseason or they will be out after next season.

Wish list? I wish they would land more recruits they actually targeted and recruited for years. Wish they could find some of these overseas grow men who don't need two years in the gym before competing. Transfers that can really help are few and far between but if that's the parameters here, find someone who can shoot the ball while also being able to defend.
I am perplexed that IU has not tapped into the overseas market, given their resources. And it’s not just a Woody thing, it goes back to the Knight era.

This kid wouldnt move the needle in the right direction. Small, good #s but for an 11 win Ivy leave team. Cupps 2.0 basically. Would be hard to see him getting off shots vs B1G competition.

I am perplexed that IU has not tapped into the overseas market, given their resources. And it’s not just a Woody thing, it goes back to the Knight era.
I sort of expected it to happen under Archie because iirc he had a history of doing it at Dayton.

I suppose Woody could try to hire an assistant with overseas connections from somewhere like Gonzaga or Arizona, but I don’t know how attractive the prospect of being an asst BB coach at IU next season really is these days.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I sort of expected it to happen under Archie because iirc he had a history of doing it at Dayton.

I suppose Woody could try to hire an assistant with overseas connections from somewhere like Gonzaga or Arizona, but I don’t know how attractive the prospect of being an asst BB coach at IU next season really is these days.
I believe Woodson and his staff is below the Mike Davis, Kerry Rupp (Who even worked for Majerus) Sydney Green, and Eric Jackson days lol.

Agree we don’t have an issue getting top kids. As we all know we have other issues.

In fairness to Crean and Archie, they didn’t have the NIL era to pay players to come here. And IU never paid big $ under the table like a lot of other schools pre-NIL.

How would Woody do in the non-NIL era? We will never know, but it probably would be quite different, and not in a good way.

And lastly, recently things have fallen off with no recruits, 0 for 31 or so offers, whiffed on Boogie/Queen/McNeeley who he really ran hard at. Raises questions.

Regardless, we’ll see if he can fix all these roster issues…
I get it, but I don't know that it matters all that much. Crean and Miller didn't have NIL, but neither did everyone else. CMW has it, as does everyone else, and that's the environment today. Where has the 0-31 thing been promoted? You're at least the 2nd or 3rd person I've seen talk about it, and I feel like it's maybe something someone just pulled out of thin air that's starting to be believed.

I get it, but I don't know that it matters all that much. Crean and Miller didn't have NIL, but neither did everyone else. CMW has it, as does everyone else, and that's the environment today. Where has the 0-31 thing been promoted? You're at least the 2nd or 3rd person I've seen talk about it, and I feel like it's maybe something someone just pulled out of thin air that's starting to be believed.
Here's the thinking to take or leave: IU did not paid players under the table pre-NIL like UK, Duke UNC, KU, etc. We may do a little here and there, but not like them.

NIL allowed us to flex our financial might and pay players within the rules, which we could never do before. That said, maybe the aforementioned bag droppers are still paying players + doing NIL, making it less of an impact -- just trying to look at it from both sides. But I think NIL should be a net positive to IU since we have a lot of it vs most other schools. Now of course it's just a tool and we have to use it properly to be successful.

I never audited the O for 31 since it sounded right. We know the "0" is correct. If you look at the offer page on 24/7 it adds up to 31 or so. Previous years IU seems to offer ~25 kids. Seems about right.

I’m all for getting East European studs that know nothing about Mike Woodson and his poor coaching reputation. Preferably, from remote villages that don’t get news of any kind and can sign with us blindly and with as little information about our top notch staff as possible. That way they won’t be scared away.

Good point on international players. Why can’t we ever get any of them? Especially with our NIL. Do we try? Has Woodson tried?
Sorry for all of the questions - I just have no idea.

At the risk of getting an elite big like Ware, you are likely relegated to playing Reneau again at the 4 and MM at the 3. Obviously having 2 guards better than XJ and Galloway makes for a better lineup, but then again good luck getting two elite guards who want to play in the same condensed floor like this year.

Ideally you get an elite defensive 5 who you can play 20-25 mpg off the bench with different lineup combos featuring MM and MR at the 4. Any portal guard considering IU is going to have Woody's system used negatively against him. Woodson needs to go all-in on an elite level PG and then try and bring in an off-ball scorer (someone like Jalen Blackmon) to pair with Galloway. If you're going to try and replace Ware with an equal caliber big, you need to recruit two extremely high level shooters on the perimeter instead.
If Galloway starts-IU is doomed to wash,rinse and repeat this last season.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
If Galloway starts-IU is doomed to wash,rinse and repeat this last season.
Not if he plays alongside two high end guards. If the plan is two play two bigs + Mgbako and feature Galloway as the featured 2 guard, sure next year will once again be troublesome.

So we are for sure in need of 3 spots and potentially 6 or more additions from the portal. With that in mind, what would your potential wish list look like? For me I would look at

Jalen Blackmon--had a great year at Stetson and can flat-out shoot it--averaged over 20 a game at near 40% from 3 on high volume and multiple brothers that played at IU

Conner Essegian--had a really good freshman year but for some reason regressed this year, but shot 36% last year on over 5 attempts per game. May be looking for a fresh start

Johnell Davis--Averaging 18 a game at FAU, from Indiana and shooting 43% from 3 on the year. Would guess this would only potentially happen in May left for a new job, but was an Indiana All-Star with Trey and Leal (even though games were not played)

Avila, Swoope, or Conwell from ISU 2 guards and a big. Both guards were in-state kids and Avila is just fun to watch. Have to assume their coach leaves and they will be in demand

Booker--If he is frustrated at MSU, take a flier, I know he is not a true big, but there is potential there and after seeing what the staff has done to develop TJD, MR, and KW why not take a shot!

Obviously would need more bigs if MR and to a lesser extent MM leave, but I think those 2 would be a really good 4/5 combo but only Sparks behind them as a big--which is why I include Avila

Obviously, this is a WISH list and many may not even enter the portal, but have to dream at times!

I saw on another thread where someone asked if Hickman visited this WE. Couldn't find that thread, but I wanted to share some things I've seen on other sites.....I have no personal contacts/information, just know what I've read.

I follow the HSN and B Town Banner sites on the portal matters. They seem to have a couple of guys with some contacts.

According to one of them, Hickman was sick this WE and cancelled the visit. No word about a new date.

I had earlier seen that LWalker would be visiting....I thought it was said to be on 4/1. Don't know what happened there and there's no discussion about him right now on those sites.

One poster who seemed to be informed says that Woodson is all in on Perkins and that he is the #1 target in the portal. But I see nothing about an OV. Same poster says his mom wants him at IU because she's tired of driving so many miles to see him play.

One somewhat sketchy but somewhat informed twitterer had said that Wolf, the skilled 7 footer from Yale, was a major IU target; however, he later took that down and I've seen nothing since about interest in IU.

One poster is interested in Conwell, a 6'4" wing from Indiana State. He's got some high efficiency offensive #s. It wasn't clear whether this poster had any information, or was just speculating. ISU is still involved in the NIT at present.

Hatfield, the 6'9" UL transfer, is scheduled to visit on 4/12. I've seen nothing anywhere about his interests other than IU.

It doesn't appear to me that any of the highest rated PGs or 2 guards in the portal are interested in IU. In fact, I've seen no reciprocal interest toward IU from any of the 25 or so other porterers who have been contacted. Let us know if you've seen otherwise.

Perkins would probably be about 5-6 PG on most of those lists. There are 3-4 different lists, but Perkins and Hatfield seem generally to be in the 30s, and Hickman and Walker in the 70s (or so).

One thing about Perkins and Galloway----their assist #s were both dramatically better last year than in previous years. And both had tolerable TO #s. I know neither are above average shooters, but Perkins has been 33%/75% or so most of his career on 3s/FT, and very slightly under 50% on 2s. Galloway has been 55% + on 2s. If he could shoot 33%/65% on 3s/FTs, they could be very good together, if we can find another shooter. In any event, it's starting to look like a class of Perkins/Hickman/Hatfield & Walker is our best case scenario.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Good point on international players. Why can’t we ever get any of them? Especially with our NIL. Do we try? Has Woodson tried?
Sorry for all of the questions - I just have no idea.
International players aren't eligible for NIL (technically).

I saw on another thread where someone asked if Hickman visited this WE. Couldn't find that thread, but I wanted to share some things I've seen on other sites.....I have no personal contacts/information, just know what I've read.

I follow the HSN and B Town Banner sites on the portal matters. They seem to have a couple of guys with some contacts.

According to one of them, Hickman was sick this WE and cancelled the visit. No word about a new date.

I had earlier seen that LWalker would be visiting....I thought it was said to be on 4/1. Don't know what happened there and there's no discussion about him right now on those sites.

One poster who seemed to be informed says that Woodson is all in on Perkins and that he is the #1 target in the portal. But I see nothing about an OV. Same poster says his mom wants him at IU because she's tired of driving so many miles to see him play.

One somewhat sketchy but somewhat informed twitterer had said that Wolf, the skilled 7 footer from Yale, was a major IU target; however, he later took that down and I've seen nothing since about interest in IU.

One poster is interested in Conwell, a 6'4" wing from Indiana State. He's got some high efficiency offensive #s. It wasn't clear whether this poster had any information, or was just speculating. ISU is still involved in the NIT at present.

Hatfield, the 6'9" UL transfer, is scheduled to visit on 4/12. I've seen nothing anywhere about his interests other than IU.

It doesn't appear to me that any of the highest rated PGs or 2 guards in the portal are interested in IU. In fact, I've seen no reciprocal interest toward IU from any of the 25 or so other porterers who have been contacted. Let us know if you've seen otherwise.

Perkins would probably be about 5-6 PG on most of those lists. There are 3-4 different lists, but Perkins and Hatfield seem generally to be in the 30s, and Hickman and Walker in the 70s (or so).

One thing about Perkins and Galloway----their assist #s were both dramatically better last year than in previous years. And both had tolerable TO #s. I know neither are above average shooters, but Perkins has been 33%/75% or so most of his career on 3s/FT, and very slightly under 50% on 2s. Galloway has been 55% + on 2s. If he could shoot 33%/65% on 3s/FTs, they could be very good together, if we can find another shooter. In any event, it's starting to look like a class of Perkins/Hickman/Hatfield & Walker is our best case scenario.

I'm surprised I have not seen more Blackman speculation. Banners lists him as someone IU has contacted, but I've seen nothing else.

I have seen at least two posters say that he is totally disinterested in D.

Anyone know any more?

I see that the Walker visit will not happen today and 'will be rescheduled'. We're now 0-2 on scheduled visits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT