ADVERTISEMENT

Kaufman Announcement Date Set for 10-30

Why do you think most knowledgable observers “greatly underestimate our talent”? More specifically, what are you seeing that most others are not?
Observers don't follow the team like fans do, they don't know the roster potential. Typically they project teams based on what they've done over the past season or 2. Once you have a good season projections will be higher the following year.

Hopefully that starts this season.

No, I want a top 4 finish. We have the talent to be top a 20ish sweet 16 type team, anything less is a disappointment.

I don't care about the projections as they greatly underestimate our roster talent. If Archie is the the coach we expect him to be then he should be able to pull that out of this team. The lack of shooting, discipline, and consistency has to stop or we need to look elsewhere.

Well, I don't care about projections either. Not because I think they underestimate our roster talent, but because they're nothing more than somebody's guess. And that's worthless.

Observers don't follow the team like fans do, they don't know the roster potential. Typically they project teams based on what they've done over the past season or 2. Once you have a good season projections will be higher the following year.

Hopefully that starts this season.
But most fans lack the critical eye that knowledgable observers have. Given our near term results, as well as the additions and deletions to the roster, what’s your argument for us being underrated?

But most fans lack the critical eye that knowledgable observers have. Given our near term results, as well as the additions and deletions to the roster, what’s your argument for us being underrated?
I'm perfectly fine with where they have us rated because based on our previous results that's where we belong. That said I think we'll prove them wrong because our roster talent far outweighs that ranking.

Well, look, I wouldn't really care if we were picked to finish last. I would care if we actually did finish last -- or even close to it.

There's not much point right now in arguing around the prospect of a coaching change at this point in time - if that's where you're going with this. The season is about to start and we should all be hoping that the team (finally) meets a high standard of expectation. Yes, I realize that those standards have dropped for many people (including, apparently, people who have actual responsibilities for the athletics programs) -- and that's a serious problem.

I hope SI's right and we make a Top 4 finish. Honestly, I think such a finish ought to be somewhere in the upper-middle bounds of our range. But it would at least represent a significant improvement....which would be the first time we could honestly say that in Archie's tenure here.

Well, look, I wouldn't really care if we were picked to finish last. I would care if we actually did finish last -- or even close to it.

There's not much point right now in arguing around the prospect of a coaching change at this point in time - if that's where you're going with this. The season is about to start and we should all be hoping that the team (finally) meets a high standard of expectation. Yes, I realize that those standards have dropped for many people (including, apparently, people who have actual responsibilities for the athletics programs) -- and that's a serious problem.

I hope SI's right and we make a Top 4 finish. Honestly, I think such a finish ought to be somewhere in the upper-middle bounds of our range. But it would at least represent a significant improvement....which would be the first time we could honestly say that in Archie's tenure here.
I don’t believe a coaching change is even a remote possibility, absent a major rules violation scenario. I think Miller gets a minimum of five years at IU, and likely more, regardless of the results. I was simply trying to understand why SIHoosier thought we were underrated, and why he / she believes the roster talent is greater than most others believe it to be.

I, too, would love a top four finish, as I consider that ”achievement” to be the minimum standard for where we should be every year, absent extraordinary circumstances. But I don’t see that as a likely result in 20-21, based on past performance of the returning players and the likely contributions of the incoming ones, combined with the strengths and weaknesses (as I see them) of Miller and his staff. What concerns me is that the 5th-8th scenario, which will generate a tournament bid, will be hailed as a sign of our continuing assent in the BiG and evidence that “we’re back”. I simply would see that as a further acceptance of mediocrity in the program, even if I’m one of a dwindling group who feels that way.

I don’t believe a coaching change is even a remote possibility, absent a major rules violation scenario. I think Miller gets a minimum of five years at IU, and likely more, regardless of the results. I was simply trying to understand why SIHoosier thought we were underrated, and why he / she believes the roster talent is greater than most others believe it to be.

I, too, would love a top four finish, as I consider that ”achievement” to be the minimum standard for where we should be every year, absent extraordinary circumstances. But I don’t see that as a likely result in 20-21, based on past performance of the returning players and the likely contributions of the incoming ones, combined with the strengths and weaknesses (as I see them) of Miller and his staff. What concerns me is that the 5th-8th scenario, which will generate a tournament bid, will be hailed as a sign of our continuing assent in the BiG and evidence that “we’re back”. I simply would see that as a further acceptance of mediocrity in the program, even if I’m one of a dwindling group who feels that way.

Yeah, I can't disagree with any of that. I'm sure COVID -- even with a partial football season -- is ravaging the athletic department's finances. Maybe even if that wasn't the case, we wouldn't be inclined to, or capable of, making a buyout.

As far as standards and expectations go, a 4th place finish really ought to be somewhere around our minimum. But, as we all know, we're simply not the program we used to be. So I guess, for the time being, we have to accept it being something bigger than that.

But you and I are pretty much in the same place on why exactly that is the case. People are terrified that raising the standards like we think should be done would backfire. My question to them is: we've been using your lowered-bar approach for quite some time now....how's that working out for us?

I think we will finish in the top 4 and be a top 15ish team this year. We have a lot talent this year and experience. Miller would have to be an awful coach (he isn't) for IU to finish in the back half of the Big Ten this year.

Reactions: nitrowars
I think we will finish in the top 4 and be a top 15ish team this year. We have a lot talent this year and experience.

I think that's possible. I also think it's possible we finish a tier below that.

Miller would have to be an awful coach (he isn't) for IU to finish in the back half of the Big Ten this year.

You're just baiting us now, snarl. 🤨

At 20 pages this thread is long enough I have not read every post. Would two requests be ok?
1. When a decision is made would someone start a thread like “Kaufman decision made”?
2. Is it possible to ban false news people?

I agree. Kaufman is more of a need with the misses from the previous year. What other big men do we have a good chance of landing?

Have to remember these rona rules are crazy! Anyone can transfer next year and play immediately. Gonna be the wild Wild West. Archie is gonna nab a big. And Brunky can have another year if he wants. Brunk as an experienced 35th year senior isn't a bad deal.

At 20 pages this thread is long enough I have not read every post. Would two requests be ok?
1. When a decision is made would someone start a thread like “Kaufman decision made”?
2. Is it possible to ban false news people?

Yes. But they come right back with a new name.

Hope the release was purely accidental, but I don't understand why you tape something like that anyway; isn't that what the announcement is for? Sorry Trey, this is what happens when you get involved with Purdue.
You record it because if you just announce for Purdue live you risk having to walk out into a parking lot where there’s a lot of ticked off IU fans who knew where he was making his announcement and are tailgating like they did for Romeo. Makes perfect sense to prerecord that and it’s just a shame for the kid his moment got leaked early

Where's the guy who was saying on here for months that TK to IU was a done deal? A Purdue troll I assume?

You record it because if you just announce for Purdue live you risk having to walk out into a parking lot where there’s a lot of ticked off IU fans who knew where he was making his announcement and are tailgating like they did for Romeo. Makes perfect sense to prerecord that and it’s just a shame for the kid his moment got leaked early

Well, there's this new-fangled thing called the internet now, podcasts, zoom calls, etc... There are a ton of ways to do it "live" and not have to deal with people. Or do nothing, call the coaches and let it spread naturally. Again, sounds like he was trying to do a friend a favor, and it backfired. Too bad for him.

I know I sound like a broken record on this. And, clearly, some people think the notion is hooey. But I don't think the coaching staff is our problem. Or, at least, I don't necessarily think a new coaching staff will fix our problem.

I think the cultural tolerance for crappy performance that we've developed through the decades-long cascade of awful decisions by our administration is our problem. It's on display here every day.

If we don't change that, then I wouldn't expect too much from a coaching change. In that case, may as well stick it out with Archie and just embrace mediocrity.

I will assume that you truly believe this since you have posted it about a hundred times but it is hard for me to fathom.

So to paraphrase you, the powers that be at IU has tolerated crappy performances from the BB coach/team and therefore it doesn't make any difference who the coach is, we will get the same results.

If what I stated is accurate then yea, I think that is a bunch of "hooey".

The coach at IU is given everything he needs to be successful. What more can the AD etc. do? You don't think Archie wants to win the BT every year? So, if the AD comes out and says that Archie must achieve X level of success this year or he is gone, does that make Archie any better?

Let's go at it this way.

Was Archie a good hire in your eyes? Taking into consideration that the hire was roundly touted as the best hire in college BB that year.

If you were AD, you would have fired him when?

And would have went after who?

I will assume that you truly believe this since you have posted it about a hundred times but it is hard for me to fathom.

So to paraphrase you, the powers that be at IU has tolerated crappy performances from the BB coach/team and therefore it doesn't make any difference who the coach is, we will get the same results.

If what I stated is accurate then yea, I think that is a bunch of "hooey".

The coach at IU is given everything he needs to be successful. What more can the AD etc. do? You don't think Archie wants to win the BT every year? So, if the AD comes out and says that Archie must achieve X level of success this year or he is gone, does that make Archie any better?

Let's go at it this way.

Was Archie a good hire in your eyes? Taking into consideration that the hire was roundly touted as the best hire in college BB that year.

Perhaps the hire was similar to the Darrell Hazell hire in that it seemed like a good hire at the time based on who was available and their track record- yet, Archie being the right guy for Dayton doesn’t mean he’s the right guy for IU in the same way that Hazell being the right guy for Kent St. doesn’t make him the right guy for Purdue.

I’ll say this. I’d be shocked if IU missed the opportunity to hire Alford again.

Reactions: Birnk403

Pretty much. But it's not just the powers that be. It very much includes other stakeholders.

What more can the AD etc. do?

I'm not saying there is anything in particular the AD can or should do -- aside from fostering the kind of culture I'm discussing. This isn't about expenditures or anything like that.

You don't think Archie wants to win the BT every year?

Of course. But there's a very substantial difference between somebody who wants something and somebody who simply won't tolerate not getting something.

Ask the best and most successful salesman you know.

So, if the AD comes out and says that Archie must achieve X level of success this year or he is gone, does that make Archie any better?

Well, first, I don't think something like that would be necessary. About the one time I can remember that happening in sports (I'm sure it's happened other times) was with the Buccaneers and Dungy. They set a bar, he came just shy of clearing it, and they followed through and fired him. I don't know if that was the right thing to do or not -- but I would say that the Bucs won the Super Bowl the following year after hiring Gruden....of course, Dungy went on to win his own a few years hence.

But, no, I don't necessarily think the AD needs to go that far -- do X or else. But I do think it would be helpful to make it known that the athletic department demands a high level of success from the men's basketball team. And I also think it would be helpful for Archie to be a lot more forthright -- in word and in deed -- when the team isn't meeting those expectations.

Again, we can all point to the one time -- once...in three years -- where he's made any comment that even slightly hints that he even realizes that the results have been short of what we're expecting: the Huber speech, the man in the mirror.

Other than that, not much....other than his embarrassing Sesame Street outburst.

Was Archie a good hire in your eyes?

Yes.

But anybody who says they're satisfied with the results of it to date is full of it. I honestly think that Archie would freely admit that the results have been unsatisfactory...but only if he knew it could be kept in strict confidence.

After this past season -- money considerations aside.

(a) I do think he'd had enough time, and (b) I think the improvement -- both within individual seasons, and across the arc of 3 seasons -- simply wasn't enough to warrant retaining him.

Well, I don't know. But it would've been somebody who I thought would bring with him the kind of cultural upheaval that I think we desperately need.

Maybe Bruce Pearl -- who is somebody who is probably as far away from the traditional IU culture as can be. Intentionally.

[QUOTE="crazed_hoosier2, post: 3027375, member: 9774"

Maybe Bruce Pearl -- who is somebody who is probably as far away from the traditional IU culture as can be. Intentionally.
[/QUOTE]

We tried Kelvin Sampson. IMHO, that was an effort to intentionally go away from the traditional IU tradition and become a program like OK.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Pretty much. But it's not just the powers that be. It very much includes other stakeholders.

I'm not saying there is anything in particular the AD can or should do -- aside from fostering the kind of culture I'm discussing. This isn't about expenditures or anything like that.

Of course. But there's a very substantial difference between somebody who wants something and somebody who simply won't tolerate not getting something.

Well, first, I don't think something like that would be necessary. About the one time I can remember that happening in sports (I'm sure it's happened other times) was with the Buccaneers and Dungy. They set a bar, he came just shy of clearing it, and they followed through and fired him. I don't know if that was the right thing to do or not -- but I would say that the Bucs won the Super Bowl the following year after hiring Gruden....of course, Dungy went on to win his own a few years hence.

But, no, I don't necessarily think the AD needs to go that far -- do X or else. But I do think it would be helpful to make it known that the athletic department demands a high level of success from the men's basketball team. And I also think it would be helpful for Archie to be a lot more forthright -- in word and in deed -- when the team isn't meeting those expectations.

Again, we can all point to the one time -- once...in three years -- where he's made any comment that even slightly hints that he even realizes that the results have been short of what we're expecting: the Huber speech, the man in the mirror.

Other than that, not much....other than his embarrassing Sesame Street outburst.

Yes.

But anybody who says they're satisfied with the results of it to date is full of it. I honestly think that Archie would freely admit that the results have been unsatisfactory...but only if he knew it could be kept in strict confidence.

(a) I do think he'd had enough time, and (b) I think the improvement -- both within individual seasons, and across the arc of 3 seasons -- simply wasn't enough to warrant retaining him.

Well, I don't know. But it would've been somebody who I thought would bring with him the kind of cultural upheaval that I think we desperately need.

Jesus christ, already with this sad trope..... and the season hasn't even begun.

Reactions: MrBing
We tried Kelvin Sampson. IMHO, that was an effort to intentionally go away from the traditional IU tradition and become a program like OK.

And it would’ve worked fine if they’d have given him some oversight.

How hard or expensive is it to let a coach know that no rule-breaking will be tolerated and that his actions regarding recruiting will be closely scrutinized? Just hire a babysitter and call him a Compliance Office Liaison.

I think it would be a mistake for us to just assume, because hiring Sampson backfired on us, that hiring any coach of that basic disposition would too.

I’d put Cal in that group. He’s almost 10 years in at UK, won gobs, and no NCAA trouble.

Last edited:
Physics is, or often is, a liberal art. My math was. I'm a proud graduate of Arts and Sciences.
I just about spit coffee out of my nose! When did either math or physics become liberal arts curriculum? If that’s how they are managed and organized at IU, that explains a lot. Sorry, but I majored in math, and had a physics minor. Neither was any sort of liberal arts.

Reactions: Viguy
Well, I don't care about projections either. Not because I think they underestimate our roster talent, but because they're nothing more than somebody's guess. And that's worthless.

A prediction is someone's guess, a projection is based on some type of measure and is neither a prediction nor a guess..

Learn the difference..

I just about spit coffee out of my nose! When did either math or physics become liberal arts curriculum? If that’s how they are managed and organized at IU, that explains a lot. Sorry, but I majored in math, and had a physics minor. Neither was any sort of liberal arts.

Wow...all the trolls are out today. Welcome.

BTW...IU and PU's Physics programs are ranked the same ( 11 in BIG and 37 overall) and IU has tremendous Math chops.

So how they are organized doesn't "explain" squat Ace.

Nice try though.

Perhaps the hire was similar to the Darrell Hazell hire in that it seemed like a good hire at the time based on who was available and their track record- yet, Archie being the right guy for Dayton doesn’t mean he’s the right guy for IU in the same way that Hazell being the right guy for Kent St. doesn’t make him the right guy for Purdue.

I’ll say this. I’d be shocked if IU missed the opportunity to hire Alford again.
Alford is a mediocre coach, he has been that way from the get go. I’m not sure if he has even made and elite 8. I believe Archie is the right guy and it starts with the play of this years team, but if not I would want them to hire someone who has a better track record than Alford. I graduated the same year at IU love the guy, I definitely don’t want him as our coach.

And it would’ve worked fine if they’d have given him some oversight.

How hard or expensive is it to let a coach know that no rule-breaking will be tolerated and that his actions regarding recruiting will be closely scrutinized? Just hire a babysitter and call him a Compliance Office Liaison.

I think it would be a mistake for us to just assume, because hiring Sampson backfired on us, that hiring any coach of that basic disposition would too.

I’d put Cal in that group. He’s almost 10 years in at UK, won gobs, and no NCAA trouble.
Now, there you go. That's the way it's done. Live in this reality, not the one you wish for. That way you can compare apples to apples, reality to reality. Otherwise the reality you create for yourself will drift ever further away until you may never get back. Do you understand that? Happy hour Early Times makes me philosophical.

Now, there you go. That's the way it's done. Live in this reality, not the one you wish for. That way you can compare apples to apples, reality to reality. Otherwise the reality you create for yourself will drift ever further away until you may never get back. Do you understand that? Happy hour Early Times makes me philosophical.
Wait..what? Early times? Are you serious.

Yes.

All this blathering and bloviation about "culture", as if it comes in a box or requires naught but hand-waving and incantations, and largely because you resent Coach Miller for not publicly falling on his sword and an otherwise unsubstantiated opinion that everyone of import has 'settled' for something less than a stellar performance level. Hog spittle. Despite the lengthy attempts at dissection and rebuttal, you have yet to offer a single specific action that can or should be undertaken to effect the exalted culture of which you speak, only vague homilies and chitter akin to recycled motivational speaking hustle - the kind of vacuous rah-rah drivel generally associated with those peddling the keys to success and/or boosting widget sales (and eerily reminiscent of the last guy to coach at AH). Stop obfuscating and deliver the goods, because as it reads, no matter how much one might be willing to consider your position, you've offered squat in terms of any concrete action that should have been or ought to be undertaken to foster success.

Imagining that Miller or anyone at IU associated with the Athletic Department is content with recent results is delusional. The only cultural deficiency associated with the Program that you've really shown any evidence of is whining. Lots and lots of whining to support a summary judgment about imagined lapses in attitude among people whom you've never met, don't know and haven't the least real or experiential knowledge of on which to base your conclusions. As you tell it, there's just no there there. An astronomer or volcanologist would call it outgassing.

Beat that horse if you must, but repackaging Ordy's feeble trolling by adding some jejune faith-based antidote to the allegedly defective culture you claim is to blame is far less interesting than the coming Season and playing the hand that's been dealt. The wonky armchair analysis re: the perceived frailties and failings of IU's psyche/operant attitude is tedious and remains magnificently empty and devoid of evidence as you have failed in repeated attempts to identify a single strategic, financial or executive failing of late within the program.

The die is cast - for now. I invite you to reprise your theory (supported with specific examples of course) mid- or postseason (if the certain lack of success implied in your position comes to pass), but until then, might we discuss actual basketball? Say scheduling, Players, Xs and Os, rotations, opponent match-ups, defensive schemes, etc. - got anything along those lines? You can instead of course double down by pointing to TK's pU commitment as proof that IU lacks the 'culture', but you'd be expected to explain why RL, TJD and KL imagine otherwise.

Reactions: MrBing and twenty02
All this blathering and bloviation about "culture", as if it comes in a box or requires naught but hand-waving and incantations, and largely because you resent Coach Miller for not publicly falling on his sword and an otherwise unsubstantiated opinion that everyone of import has 'settled' for something less than a stellar performance level. Hog spittle. Despite the lengthy attempts at dissection and rebuttal, you have yet to offer a single specific action that can or should be undertaken to effect the exalted culture of which you speak, only vague homilies and chitter akin to recycled motivational speaking hustle - the kind of vacuous rah-rah drivel generally associated with those peddling the keys to success and/or boosting widget sales (and eerily reminiscent of the last guy to coach at AH). Stop obfuscating and deliver the goods, because as it reads, no matter how much one might be willing to consider your position, you've offered squat in terms of any concrete action that should have been or ought to be undertaken to foster success.

Imagining that Miller or anyone at IU associated with the Athletic Department is content with recent results is delusional. The only cultural deficiency associated with the Program that you've really shown any evidence of is whining. Lots and lots of whining to support a summary judgment about imagined lapses in attitude among people whom you've never met, don't know and haven't the least real or experiential knowledge of on which to base your conclusions. As you tell it, there's just no there there. An astronomer or volcanologist would call it outgassing.

Beat that horse if you must, but repackaging Ordy's feeble trolling by adding some jejune faith-based antidote to the allegedly defective culture you claim is to blame is far less interesting than the coming Season and playing the hand that's been dealt. The wonky armchair analysis re: the perceived frailties and failings of IU's psyche/operant attitude is tedious and remains magnificently empty and devoid of evidence as you have failed in repeated attempts to identify a single strategic, financial or executive failing of late within the program.

The die is cast - for now. I invite you to reprise your theory (supported with specific examples of course) mid- or postseason (if the certain lack of success implied in your position comes to pass), but until then, might we discuss actual basketball? Say scheduling, Players, Xs and Os, rotations, opponent match-ups, defensive schemes, etc. - got anything along those lines? You can instead of course double down by pointing to TK's pU commitment as proof that IU lacks the 'culture', but you'd be expected to explain why RL, TJD and KL imagine otherwise.

IU’s culture problem goes beyond one recruit. TK’s decision has nothing to do with it, as far as I know. And it predates Archie.

But it’s a very real thing, and a problem.

Reactions: IUgradman
One player...give it a rest. My god...get laid.

Uh...did you read my post? Did you read the post I was responding to?

I’m not connecting our macro-problem with our micro-loss of a recruit. Somebody else assumed I was or would. And I guess you assumed I was too.

I didn’t.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT