ADVERTISEMENT

Watched the women vs NW last night

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
Just a joy to watch and glad Parrish is back. Mackenzie has 28/9 basically in 3 quarters and even though I thought NW was playing OK on their senior night and 1 girl was having a great outing, the Lady Hoosiers just coasted on a 20 pt-ish cushion because they can hit 3s and have such a dependable scorer in Holmes. Before last night, they were the best 3 pt shooting team in the country at over 41% from 3. Moren also sat most of the starters the entire 4th quarter and let freshmen and sophs play and close out the game. Great experience for the underclassmen to get that much PT in a conference game. I think we're going to be fine next year, especially if Moore McNeil comes back (they said she'll be deciding this week). Really liked LaMendola and I don't remember noticing her before. We have a great bball coach at IU, but for now, it's on the women's side.

Last edited:
Just a joy to watch and glad Parrish is back. Mackenzie has 28/9 basically in 3 quarters and even though I thought NW was playing OK on their senior night and 1 girl was having a great outing, the Lady Hoosiers just coasted on a 20 pt-ish cushion because they can hit 3s and have such a dependable scorer in Holmes. Before last night, they were the best 3 pt shooting team in the country at over 41% from 3. Moren also sat most of the starters the entire 4th quarter and let freshmen and sophs play and close out the game. Great experience for the underclassmen to get that much PT in a conference game. I think we're going to be fine next year, especially if Moore McNeil comes back (they said she'll be deciding this week). Really liked LaMendola and I don't remember noticing her before. We have a great bball coach at IU, but for now, it's on the women's side.
I'd love to have Garzon back as well.

That's not even in question, is it?

She's my favorite. Girl is feisty. Loved how she didn't take any shit from Clark. With her size and length she reminds me of Bobby Wilkerson.
I haven’t heard anything, but there is always the possibility with international players that they will go back and start a professional career. There is also the issue of being so far from family when there is a war going on in your home country

In a game tonight which could have major ramifications at the top, Michigan and OSU are tied at the half 22-all. Both teams shot the ball poorly and both teams had a significant number of turnovers at the half with OSU with 9 turnovers and Michigan with 14 turnovers.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
That's not even in question, is it?

She's my favorite. Girl is feisty. Loved how she didn't take any shit from Clark. With her size and length she reminds me of Bobby Wilkerson.
I like the way Garzon plays. I had to laugh when Clark got in her face. The second Yardon took a step towards here Clark was back peddling . So eone entitled awhile back that she ran awkwardly. I've watched her closely & if she trotting up court she te down to run flat-footed. But I e seen her brink the ball downpours on a fast break and she runs quite differently. I was actually surprised how fast she could run & handled the ball on the dribble surprisingly well for her size.

In a game tonight which could have major ramifications at the top, Michigan and OSU are tied at the half 22-all. Both teams shot the ball poorly and both teams had a significant number of turnovers at the half with OSU with 9 turnovers and Michigan with 14 turnovers.
OSU pulled away in the 2nd half and locked up the B1G regular season championship and the No. 1 seed in the B1G tournament.

Couple of comments.
Our second team played the fourth quarter and was outscored by NW. I agree with your comment about gaining valuable experience, but I wish we had won the final quarter.
Both Beau and Jules are listed at 6’1” but Beau seems to play more of a SG spot and Jules a SF. I don’t know if I am correct but it seems that way to me.
Regarding next year, I think we will need freshman of the year type play from Wiseman or Fenn or both.

Couple of comments.
Our second team played the fourth quarter and was outscored by NW. I agree with your comment about gaining valuable experience, but I wish we had won the final quarter.
Both Beau and Jules are listed at 6’1” but Beau seems to play more of a SG spot and Jules a SF. I don’t know if I am correct but it seems that way to me.
Regarding next year, I think we will need freshman of the year type play from Wiseman or Fenn or both.
NW outscored IU by 6 pts in the 4th qt. NW starters played over 1/2 of the 4th qt. IU won by 20. Good experience for the non-starters. Losing Mac next year is going to be a big loss but IMO I think they will have a very good team next year

Reactions: kmathum and kkott
NW outscored IU by 6 pts in the 4th qt. NW starters played over 1/2 of the 4th qt. IU won by 20. Good experience for the non-starters. Losing Mac next year is going to be a big loss but IMO I think they will have a very good team next year
For the second straight year, we have recruited just two quality players out of high school, although I guess it's possible that we could still add another one. That sends a clear message to me that we will be bringing in portal players and there are usually a lot of high-profile players in the portal like when we got Scalia. IU should be a popular destination for some of those high-profile players.

Reactions: kkott
For the second straight year, we have recruited just two quality players out of high school, although I guess it's possible that we could still add another one. That sends a clear message to me that we will be bringing in portal players and there are usually a lot of high-profile players in the portal like when we got Scalia. IU should be a popular destination for some of those high-profile players.
I really hope the portal works for us. Shrardece Currie Jelks has had literally zero minutes. Moren said injuries and personal issues. Getting such a trivial look in her first year make me worry she will be like Mona Zarich or the girl from Toronto (Browne?). If Wiseman or Fenn can contribute at C or F then Garzon could move back to G and perhaps take more threes.

Reactions: ptrich
She's only a sophomore
Yeah. Highly likely she will be a top scorer next year for IU.

That team is fun to watch. All the pieces fit together- they can shoot, they play for each other, they are breaking all sorts of records and having fun doing it.

Moren is just a terrific coach and has made the program a brand name juggernaut. Destination program for recruits now. Coaches make the difference.

That team is fun to watch. All the pieces fit together- they can shoot, they play for each other, they are breaking all sorts of records and having fun doing it.

Moren is just a terrific coach and has made the program a brand name juggernaut. Destination program for recruits now. Coaches make the difference.
Jumping too far ahead, next year may be a slight step down from the last few but they should still be fun.

Bargesser's progress this year has been amazing. She may be the best on ball defender IU' s ever had before she leaves. Moren said that Ali Patberg is helping her to redo her shit mechanics.

Going to need a big jump from the Freshman but there's a decent chance of that.

Reactions: Jssanto
Jumping too far ahead, next year may be a slight step down from the last few but they should still be fun.

Bargesser's progress this year has been amazing. She may be the best on ball defender IU' s ever had before she leaves. Moren said that Ali Patberg is helping her to redo her shit mechanics.

Going to need a big jump from the Freshman but there's a decent chance of that.
Oh no, she's a bad shitter too? JK, I agree, I really like her D and one non-scoring player, especially a PG (thinking of Meeks and Reynolds), isn't a killer if you have other good scoring options. Especially if they can penetrate, which see seems to be able to do. I really wish Gabe would do that more often. The biggest obstacle with her is probably CMM and what she does as they both seem to be ball dominant PGs. Maybe CMM could play more SG the way her shot has developed and they could play alongside each other. That would be a very good defensive backourt. But, those 2 in the mix with YG, SP and LM is pretty solid and I really liked Lamendola... first time I'd seen her play much, but I think she's going to be really good. Add in a couple freshman and a transfer or 2 and they could be really solid.

• Haha
Oh no, she's a bad shitter too? JK, I agree, I really like her D and one non-scoring player, especially a PG (thinking of Meeks and Reynolds), isn't a killer if you have other good scoring options. Especially if they can penetrate, which see seems to be able to do. I really wish Gabe would do that more often. The biggest obstacle with her is probably CMM and what she does as they both seem to be ball dominant PGs. Maybe CMM could play more SG the way her shot has developed and they could play alongside each other. That would be a very good defensive backourt. But, those 2 in the mix with YG, SP and LM is pretty solid and I really liked Lamendola... first time I'd seen her play much, but I think she's going to be really good. Add in a couple freshman and a transfer or 2 and they could be really solid.
I guess Chloe will make her decision to stay or go before the Maryland game. If she comes back, I could see her being the starting SG next year.

I agree. And losing 2 great players in Holmes and Scalia, will require a shooting guard from the portal - or a super jump from Beau (which I am really hoping for).
But right now, we need to beat MD on senior night and win some games in the BTT. We need to finish in the top 16 so we can host 2 NCAA games.

I'm looking for a big from the portal. That can score. I love Lily, but I'm not sure she's the answer in terms of being the starter.
Isn't one of the incoming freshman, and maybe an existing xfer from last year also a post? I agree, I think a starter level post would be ideal, but I think we can get by with Meister, especially if we have 2 more posts on the bench.

Isn't one of the incoming freshman, and maybe an existing xfer from last year also a post? I agree, I think a starter level post would be ideal, but I think we can get by with Meister, especially if we have 2 more posts on the bench.
Faith Wiseman is a 6'4" forward. Not sure what her game looks like in terms of a back to the basket threat. Sharnece is the injured transfer. Given how little time she's been dressed, let alone on the court, I wouldn't be relying much on her, myself.

Faith Wiseman is a 6'4" forward. Not sure what her game looks like in terms of a back to the basket threat. Sharnece is the injured transfer. Given how little time she's been dressed, let alone on the court, I wouldn't be relying much on her, myself.
I've never seen Wiseman play so I don't know anything about her mechanics, etc., but she finished her senior season with an 18.2 ppg on 58 pct shooting and she averaged 11.9 rpg, as well as 4.8 apg and 4 blocks a game. She was on a team that was well balanced scoring-wise and they were knocked off in the regionals. She's an Indiana Miss Basketball candidate and is a lock to be on the Indiana girls All-Star team.

Needless to say, being a freshmen, she has a lot to learn at the next level.

Reactions: kkott and Vern Pain

SCJ had some really bad luck with knee injuries both her Junior and Senior years of High School. The thinking is that she really needs a year to completely heal. Rumor is that she had another "scope" in her knee in December.

Wiseman is 6'4, the other member of this class, Fenn is 6'3.

SCJ had some really bad luck with knee injuries both her Junior and Senior years of High School. The thinking is that she really needs a year to completely heal. Rumor is that she had another "scope" in her knee in December.

Wiseman is 6'4, the other member of this class, Fenn is 6'3.
Yeah, I just went back and read about her commitment and they said she was versatile, both a shooter and a back to the basket player. That may change in college. Her list of offers (Fenn) wasn't super impressive, but hopefully a good player for us. She is listed as a SF though.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Yeah, I just went back and read about her commitment and they said she was versatile, both a shooter and a back to the basket player. That may change in college. Her list of offers (Fenn) wasn't super impressive, but hopefully a good player for us. She is listed as a SF though.
Isn't there a couple of girls in the junior class that committed early that are highly thought of? Maybe even sophomore class.

Caitlin Clark won't be back for a 5th season and has officially declared for the WNBA draft. We are losing two starters and maybe three depending on what Chloe decides, but Iowa will be losing four starters including Clark, Davis, Martin, and Marshall, with the latter three all 5th year players.

Caitlin Clark won't be back for a 5th season and has officially declared for the WNBA draft. We are losing two starters and maybe three depending on what Chloe decides, but Iowa will be losing four starters including Clark, Davis, Martin, and Marshall, with the latter three all 5th year players.

True, but next year UCLA and USC will be 1 and 2 in the conference as they are both top 20 nationally and return nearly everyone, followed by OSU.

True, but next year UCLA and USC will be 1 and 2 in the conference as they are both top 20 nationally and return nearly everyone, followed by OSU.
Yes, it will be interesting in all B1G sports as to what the impact will be in the first year of the expansion. Plus, we don't know how the off-season will turn out.

Does Scalia have one more year of eligibility? Not trying to disparage but wonder how much they make in the WNBA compared to NIL? Obviously more but the average salary is like 113k. I've liked watching college wbb but have never watched more than 5 min of a WNBA game (or NBA game this year). Clark obviously has a lot to gain but I'd argue that Griner was pretty hyped up too in her college days. Seems to me that college wbb has more following than pro.

Does Scalia have one more year of eligibility? Not trying to disparage but wonder how much they make in the WNBA compared to NIL? Obviously more but the average salary is like 113k. I've liked watching college wbb but have never watched more than 5 min of a WNBA game (or NBA game this year). Clark obviously has a lot to gain but I'd argue that Griner was pretty hyped up too in her college days. Seems to me that college wbb has more following than pro.
Almost certain Scalia is out of eligibility. No idea on WNBA. I fall into the camp you describe: more interested in women's college ball vs WNBA.

Reactions: Vern Pain
I completely agree college has more popularity than the pros for both NBA and wnba.
When Grace Berger went to play in Spain during the wnba off season, I believe she made more in Europe than here. That would make endorsements a big part of an individual’s income.
I think some college players are receiving more than a million/year in NIL.
Page Becker’s of Connecticut, Olivia Dunne (a gymnist from LSU) and Clark have been reported at over 1 M per year.

I agree tho I have more confidence. I think with what we have we will be “solid”. A portal stud scorer would make us a top contender. Fun to think about.
Do you think IU has a staffer/contact/etc person who follows the foreign players? Maybe even lives over seas to scout?

Almost certain Scalia is out of eligibility. No idea on WNBA. I fall into the camp you describe: more interested in women's college ball vs WNBA.
Yes she is out if eligibility. 3 years at Minny and 2 im Btown. The key for next year will be CMM decision. If she returns ww could be really good again

Yes she is out if eligibility. 3 years at Minny and 2 im Btown. The key for next year will be CMM decision. If she returns ww could be really good again
We need a high scoring, quick guard - whether CMM returns or not. Scalia’s scoring will be greatly missed

I completely agree college has more popularity than the pros for both NBA and wnba.
When Grace Berger went to play in Spain during the wnba off season, I believe she made more in Europe than here. That would make endorsements a big part of an individual’s income.
I think some college players are receiving more than a million/year in NIL.
Page Becker’s of Connecticut, Olivia Dunne (a gymnist from LSU) and Clark have been reported at over 1 M per year.
There are less than a score of women that make anything of note off of NIL for basketball. Bueckners had a big social media following and was making 7 figures in high school off of that, before she earned anything off of basketball. There were twins at UMiami that were also pulling down big bucks pre-college as influencers as well that also play basketball. As for college players, Clark, Morrow, and Reese are the standouts for women making money off of NIL, the rest maybe get pizza money. The WNBA is a money losing enterprise that only pays 100-200k per player depending on star power. Viewership is in the thousands, and attendance in the hundreds for a lot of their games. Overseas women can make up to half a million, as long as you don't mind taking risks like Griner going to Russia or the players that go to Turkey to play.

There are less than a score of women that make anything of note off of NIL for basketball. Bueckners had a big social media following and was making 7 figures in high school off of that, before she earned anything off of basketball. There were twins at UMiami that were also pulling down big bucks pre-college as influencers as well that also play basketball. As for college players, Clark, Morrow, and Reese are the standouts for women making money off of NIL, the rest maybe get pizza money. The WNBA is a money losing enterprise that only pays 100-200k per player depending on star power. Viewership is in the thousands, and attendance in the hundreds for a lot of their games. Overseas women can make up to half a million, as long as you don't mind taking risks like Griner going to Russia or the players that go to Turkey to play.
Whatever the fever pay Clarke it will be well worth the investment. She puts butts in the seats and eyes on the TV.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Thanks for the stats. Griner may not have had trouble in Russia if she had not tried to take marijuana in. Countries have their own rules. Several African nations have steep penalties for being gay. I think that most USA states that have not legalized marijuana don’t bother to arrest for it (tho I am guessing on that). I am not aware of a state that prosecutes for being gay. But travel to Russia, China, or a Muslim country should likely be done according to their rules.
I would leave pot behind and if I were gay I would conceal that in many countries. Not fair I guess and shouldn’t have to hide things but their rules are their rules.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Thanks for the stats. Griner may not have had trouble in Russia if she had not tried to take marijuana in. Countries have their own rules. Several African nations have steep penalties for being gay. I think that most USA states that have not legalized marijuana don’t bother to arrest for it (tho I am guessing on that). I am not aware of a state that prosecutes for being gay. But travel to Russia, China, or a Muslim country should likely be done according to their rules.
I would leave pot behind and if I were gay I would conceal that in many countries. Not fair I guess and shouldn’t have to hide things but their rules are their rules.
Griner had played in Russia before and I bet that isn’t the first time she has taken cannabis with her. She just made it easy to make a political pawn of her.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT